• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 944 Views, 7 Comments

The Filly of the Stars - Ink Splasher



This is an eternal promise made by Luna with a filly who has no one to rely, to share or to love

  • ...
1
 7
 944

The Lullaby

The Filly of the Stars
by Ink Splasher
Chapter Two: The Lullaby

"Did you find my parents?" Selene asked in her puppy dog cyan eyes. What was Luna supposed to say at this point every time she sees this filly distraught a little part of herself dies. Luna knows telling her straight was the right thing to do but for this little pony she can't bring her to tears.

"No... but I do know where they are," Luna lied, "Selene it is very late do you have any relatives who live near here?" she added.

"Well I have an aunt living in Trottingham but that's really far," Trottingham was very far from the forest the winged unicorn couldn't fly there without being exhausted and if she was to make it there it would be ten o'clock in the morning. Trottingham simply couldn't do, there was another option, Canterlot. What will Celestia think? is there a place for her to sleep? how long will she be staying? Many questions popped into Luna's mind she already made one mistake not telling Selene about her parents, she might as well make another one.

"Selene, are you sure you don't have any other places to stay for the night?" the alicorn asked. The young unicorn stared at the ground and nodded her head horizontally. "Right then, for tonight you shall stay in the castle." The filly looked up and beamed in delight at the princess of the night.

"Really? I get to stay in the castle, with you!" she cheered hopping up and down around Luna like Twilight Sparkle when she was a filly.

"Well you know the drill," Luna said. Selene hopped on the alicorn's back and wrapped her arms around Luna's neck.

"Oh... oh wait don't start yet!" Selene hopped off the princess' back, clamped Woony with her mouth and returned to her original position. "Okay now I'm ready," she said. The alicorn had a short giggle then she took off to the skies.

It was a good ten minute flight to the castle in Canterlot. The winged unicorn elegantly descended on to the same balcony she took flight for her 'night treks'. Luna opened the doors which leads her to the highest floor of the castle, where the two princesses slumbered. Luna stopped and checked at the large grandfather clock near her sister's room. Half past twelve Luna thought a time were no ponies should be awake. The sapphire pony spotted two of her "royal night guards".

"Selene can you wait here for a second?" Luna whispered. Selene yawned and hopped off Luna and sat beside the clock. "I just need to talk to my guards, stay here," the princess trotted to the left hallway, to her guards. Selene looked at the front hallway and saw a sign overhead two jewel-encrusted doors,

Bedchamber of Princess Celestia,
Co-ruler of Equestria

Selene looked to the left and only saw Luna pointing at a map whispering to her guards. The mischievous filly tip-hoofed to the two door bedroom, guarded by two sleeping guards.

"Then you must return them to the Canterlot Mortuary as soon as possible understand?"

"Yes Princess but may I ask how this happened," one of the guards asked.

"The young filly didn't get a look of the assailant I'm afraid, now is that all?" Luna asked, the two guards exchanged looks and shook their heads. "Good, be on your way then," and with that, the two guards headed for the balcony for their search. Luna walked back to where she last saw Selene. Much to her horror all was there was her teddy pony leaning alongside the grandfather clock. No no no where is she how can I lose her I only left her for one minute where is she? the paranoid princess thought but suddenly she heard voices from... her sister's bedroom?

Luna slowly trotted to her Celestia's bedroom finding two incompetent guards "resting their eyes" and one of the doors opened very slightly. She peeked one of her cyan eyes through the doors finding, Selene and Celestia on her bed talking and giggling. Luna opened the door extended the door with her hoof peeking her head out.

"Oh... good evening Luna, I see you made a new friend," As soon as Celestia uttered Luna's name the filly hid under the princess' bed in fear.

"Selene come out of there," Luna demanded. Selene crawled from under the bed with her head hanging.

"Luna no its fine I couldn't sleep anyways and you're friend Selene here was feeling bored."

"Sister I'm terribly sorry I only left her for two minutes so that I could talk to some guards and when I came back she was gone,"

"I'm... I'm sorry Luna I thought you would be talking to those guards for a while and I noticed Princess Celestia's room and I had to meet her," she squeaked. Luna gave herself a facehoof.

"Look I gave you a simple instruction and you disobeyed it and not only that you disturbed my sister as well."

"But I didn't disturb her she was just reading a book and looked sad so I went in and cheered her up," Selene explained. Concerned Luna turned to her sister.

"Sister why were you sad?" Luna asked confused.

"Oh... it was nothing really I was just reading a sad story, a tear-jerker you know...but this little filly came here and couldn't stop talking about you, it's quite cute seeing you have a little fan," Celestia explained. Being called a "little fan" made both Luna and Selene blush crimson.

"Well nevertheless, Selene you shouldn't be wandering off in the castle without supervision or especially without..." Luna glows her horn and from the door hovering was Selene's teddy pony glowing in the same color as Luna's horn. "...Woony," she added handing the stuffed pony to the filly.

"Woony?" Celestia giggled.

"Yeah my mommy made her for me,"

"Sorry but may I take a look," the princess asked.

"Oh sure Princess here you go," Selene replied placing the toy on her bed. Celestia like Luna lifted "Woony" with her magic and examined her.

"Selene this... I mean she looks an awful lot like Luna,"

"Well yeah... a couple of days after my family and I saw Luna in Ponyville Mommy made Woony so that she looks like Luna, she really liked Luna for some reason and so did my Daddy they really like the night that you make Luna," she explained.

"What a delightful story isn't it Lulu... Lulu?" the princess of the night was crying, leaning against the wall. Celestia was worried, she knew her sister like a poem these weren't tears of joy, these were tears of pain.

"Lu...Luna why are you crying?" asked the saddened filly.

"It's just... um...I've never heard of anypony who would put so much effort just for me... what I'm trying say Selene when...we find your parents I wish to thank them because I'm so happy," she said trying add a smile but just collapses into tears once more. Celestia definitely knew something was wrong, she wasn't telling her and Selene something she doesn't want them to find out.

"Luna please don't cry when there's no reason to," Selene pleaded walking up to her giving her a hug. Luna stopped her tears and hugged the filly back. Celestia enjoyed this moment she let the two have their embrace before leaving her bed trotting to the pair.

"Yes Luna, Selene is right, you know I say we all need a goodnight's sleep, here Selene I'll show you your room for the night," Celestia said walking out her bedroom doors with her sister and the young filly following her.

After twists and turns around the castle floor she found the nearest guestroom to Luna's bedchamber. With her horn she opened the mahogany door to Selene's room.

"Here we are, little one," Celestia said.

"Wow it's really big, it's twice the size as my own bedroom," she wasn't exaggerating the room was twice the size as her own bedroom, however Selene didn't have a normal size bedroom, it was as the same height as Celestia from hoof to the tip of her horn with wooden flooring, a single bed, one small window and a cupboard for her clothes and toys. Although this was twice everything height, width, two windows, two cupboards a soft carpet and on top a queen-sized bed.

"Now if you need help Luna's room is three doors to the right of here, you can't miss it," the older alicorn added.

"Thank you Princess Celestia and thank you Pr..."

"Ah...ah...ah," Luna breathed waving her hoof.

"I mean... thank you Luna," Selene thanked nuzzling the princess' leg.

"Sweet dreams Selene,"

"Come on Woony," the silver pony said carrying Woony to her guestroom as Celestia closed the door.

Celestia stared at her sister who was smiling and still looking at the door of the room her new friend is sleeping tonight. Luna noticed her sister's magenta eyes locked on her.

"Are you alright Celestia?" the concerned alicorn asked.

"Lulu I've known you for all your life, now tell me what happened tonight," Celestia asked. Luna drooped her head letting out a sigh.

"Let's not talk here, let's go to my room," the alicorn replied. The two sisters trotted to Luna's room. Luna opened the doors this time and the two hopped on Luna's bed.

"Lulu what's wrong, what is going on?" the sun goddess asked. It took Luna almost ten minutes to tell the events that occurred that night. Throughout her storytelling Celestia had many emotions, pride for her sister to help Selene, horror from hearing that the filly's parents were killed and disappointment for not telling Selene the truth. Nevertheless when Luna finished her tale, the milky alicorn was in tears.

"And you know the rest, she had no place to go so I brought her here," Luna explained.

"My what a tragic night, 'tis always depressing for children when their parents... pass on, so she doesn't know yet,"

"Oh sister I couldn't bring myself to do it, I mean as if her day couldn't have gone worse, I couldn't tell her two people she dearly loved are taken from her," the princess lets out a sigh. "Sister what am I supposed to do?" she asked.

"You let her rest, she has dealt with enough drama for the night and then you must tell her tomorrow," she replied.

"I must... but why?"

"Tonight, you made an important decision to be her best friend and her guardian and now you must take its responsibility, this isn't a punishment for your actions this is a distasteful pleasure, do you understand," Celestia asked.

"Yes sister I do understand I will tell her tomorrow, I suppose these things happen for a reason," Luna gloomily added. "Well you should get some rest sister, I know I need mine," she added. Celestia nodded and trotted to her door.

"Lulu one more thing,"

"Yes sister,"

"Even though this isn't a pleasant conversation, I still enjoyed our talk,"

"Me too...Celly,"

"Goodnight Lulu," Celestia added leaving her bedroom. On that night Celestia slept like a log.

"Mommy! Daddy!"

"Selene run now!"

"But... but,"

"There's no time Selene! we'll be fine! you need to get out of here now aaaahhhhhh!"

"Mommy no!"

Selene dropped her toy and galloped away from the horror. As she ran a shadow was chasing her laughing in a sly tone. She dared to turn her head as she ran and all was darkness the trees, grass and the night sky vanished in a dark void. Selene faced forward once more but it was the same result a dark, scary void. She once again heard the screams and groans of her parents.

"Mommy... Daddy?"

"They can't help you now," said the same bitter voice from earlier. The petrified filly turned her head, the shadow with two large snake eyes with razor sharp teeth pounced at the filly.

"Aaaahhhhhh!," the filly screamed waking herself up. Panting and sweating on her bed the filly searched for her teddy pony. "Woony?... Woony where are you? " Selene hopped off her bed looking for her toy, eventually finding it on the floor. "Oh sorry Woony are you alright? I had a bad dream," she told the toy. "You're scared too, ooh I know what we'll do we can do we can ask Luna for help," with that Selene clamped her toy and headed for the princess of the night's bedroom.

The little filly peeped her head out her door and saw two guards in front of Luna's room. One of the guards spotted Selene the frightened filly sneaked back into her room.

"Wait," one of the guards whispered. Selene heard the two guards trotting to her door and gingerly re-opened her door. The two night guards walked up to the little filly.

"Are you Princess Luna's little friend," the guard on the left asked.

"Um...ye...yes," Selene replied in a scared tone with her eyes staring at the floor.

"What's wrong are you scared of us or something?" the guard on the right added. Well the two of them had dark coats, with scaly bat wings and had the intimidating pupils of a lion so the two were pretty scary.

"Don't worry we're here to help let us introduce ourselves I'm Night Vision and this is Dark Valor," Night Vision said.

"Is it our uniforms that you're afraid of?" asked Dark Valor.

"Uniform?" Selene replied.

"These eyes, they're only contacts and the bat-wings is only a costume," Dark Valor whispered pointing to his eye and wings.

"Oh... well I guess you aren't that scary then," Selene said.

"Little filly just because things look scary doesn't mean they're going to hurt you, sometimes they will but you shouldn't be scared of everything," Night Vision added.

"Well I guess that makes sense," Selene responded.

"Anyway do you need something?" Dark Valor asked with a smile.

"I... had a bad dream and I was wondering if Luna could help," she replied.

"Okay I just need to ask her first," said Valor. The three trotted a short distance reaching Luna's bedroom and Dark Valor clears his throat opening door. "Excuse me you highness your little friend wishes to see you."

"Oh...yes you may let her in," said the snoozy alicorn. Lighting two lanterns with her horn slightly brightening the room. Selene walked in with "Woony" in her mouth she spits her out and turns to the two guards.

"Um... thank you Mr. Vision and Mr. Valor," Selene thanked the two bat-guards. The two of them smiled and nodded at the little filly closing the door.

"Making new friends are we?" the princess asked in a jokingly tone.

"Yeah they're really nice,"

"Well they're more competent than Celestia's guards, she laughed. "So Selene are you alright?"

"Well not really I had a bad dream,"

"A nightmare?"

"Yeah... a bad one,"

"Well from what happened to you today I would predict as such, would you like to talk about it?" she proposed.

"Not really when I have bad dreams... I would sleep in my Mommy and Daddy's bed and... can I sleep with you tonight please?" Selene pleaded.

"Well of course you can Selene," Luna answered. As Selene and her "Woony" crawled under the sheets Luna thought of when she was little and had nightmares she would ask to sleep with her sister and she always lets her. "Would you like me to turn off the lights?" Luna asked.

"Um... it's a little too bright keep one on please," Selene responded. Luna nodded and turned of one of the two lanterns scarcely darkening the room.

"Better?"

"Much better, goodnight Luna,"

"Sweet dreams Selene," the winged unicorn replied. As the two shut their eyes drifting off to sleep.

Unfortunately Selene didn't get sweet dreams her bad dreams came back haunting her fragile soul and it didn't take Luna long to notice. "Oh dear she's having another one what did Celly do at this situation?" Luna thought. An idea popped into her head and very slowly she drifted her head on top of the scared filly and whispered into her ear.

"Now don't be blanched little filly,
The stars are out, and as white as a lily,"

"Don't be shy, they guide us,
There are so many, how many are there take a guess,"

"Now don't shed a tear the night is ours,
And you will always be the filly of the stars,"

Luna gazed at the filly she wasn't breathing as fast as she was, she was nice and cool and more important she was smiling. She sang her nightmare away Luna couldn't help but smile. However the smile turned into a frown and a tear cascading the sapphire cheek when she remembered.

"Tomorrow I tell this sweet filly, that her parents are dead."

End of Chapter Two.