• Published 8th Aug 2019
  • 636 Views, 16 Comments

Country Mouse, City Mouse: A Love Story - Jade Ring



Follow the ups and downs of Applejack and Rarity's life together, from the best of friends to something more.

  • ...
9
 16
 636

15

“And I said to Rainbow Dash ‘Well, if that’s how you really feel, then maybe you shouldn’t attend my birthday party after all.’ And then she said…”

“Mm-hmm.” Applejack mumbled, her attention directed more at the magazine in her hands than the story being told by her best friend.

Rarity stopped painting her toenails and cut her eyes at the girl lying on her bedroom floor. “Applejack, are you even listening?”

“Sure I am.” Applejack muttered, turning another page.

“You aren’t.”

Applejack sighed and tossed the magazine away. “I’m sorry, Rares, but it’s pretty doggone hard to listen to you grouse and complain about Rainbow Dash for the umpteenth time.”

Rarity sniffed derisively as she returned to the work at hand. “You make it sound as if I don’t talk about anything else.”

Applejack rolled her eyes. “I suppose it ain’t the only thing you talk about.”

“Thank you.”

“I mean, you were complaining about Pinkie Pie the last time you stayed over at my place." Before Rarity could retort, she held her hands up in a defensive gesture. “Look, I ain’t complainin’ cuz I like hanging out with you and if listening to you whine is part of that deal, then hey, I’m all for it.”

“I am not whining. I am complaining.

“But don’t it get a bit tiresome bein’ so dadgum negative all the time? Especially about the girls we use to be friends with?”

Rarity’s mouth was a thin line as she forced herself to focus on her toes. “If you feel I’m being too negative, darling, then by all means let us change the topic of discussion.” She smirked as she winked at the farmer on the floor. “How’s your brother?”

Applejack said nothing. She slowly stood, walked over to the head of Rarity’s four-poster bed, selected the biggest pillow she could find, and heaved it as hard as she was able at Rarity’s head. Rarity’s squeals of protest about her still drying nails were cut off by a second blow from a feathery projectile.

In moments, the situation had devolved into a full-on pillow war, the likes of which the bedroom hadn’t witnessed since the earliest days of the pair’s friendship. Giggling and grinning, they collapsed side by side atop a pile of spent ammunition and looked up at the ceiling. The glow in the dark stars that Rarity’s father had stuck to the ceiling so many years ago still looked down on them, their dull yellow still promising a shining sight once the lights were turned out.

“You don’t really still have a crush on Mac, do ya?”

Rarity blew a raspberry in Applejack’s general direction. “No, not really. It would never work between us anyway. He’ll graduate soon and, as enticing I find the idea of dating a university man to be, I’m afraid I’ve never seen the appeal in the whole…” She spun her hand in the air. “…long-distance relationship sort of thing.”

“That… and he’s dating Cheerilee.”

Rarity sighed heavily. “And it was Fluttershy before that. Oh well, plenty of fish in the sea, as they say.” She rolled onto her side, propped herself up on one elbow, and regarded the girl beside her. “What about you?”

“No. I don’t have a crush on my brother.”

Once the latest round of giggles had subsided, Rarity leaned in. “Seriously, darling. You claim that I’m always complaining about our ex-friends. Don’t think that I have never noticed that you never discuss the… rougher sex.”

Applejack raised an eyebrow. “Beg pardon?”

Spill, darling! What strapping stud in our class puts those lovely little butterflies in your belly?”

Applejack frowned at the ceiling. “Yeah. About that…”

Rarity’s good-natured smile faded as she detected a new tension in the air. “If I’m prying, then I’m sorry…”

“No, it’s just…” Applejack sighed as she rolled away and faced the door, contemplating just running for it. “Consarnit, I don’t…”

“Applejack.” Rarity sat up, suddenly deadly serious. “If I’ve gone too far, please forgive me. I didn’t mean to…”

“Ain’t nothin’ to forgive. I mean, I’ve wanted to tell you for I don’t know how long… Wanted to tell somebody. Anybody! But I ain’t… I just ain’t got the nerve…” She curled into a fetal position. “I’m scared, and I…”

Rarity reached out and put a hand on the girl’s orange shoulder, noting with worry that she was shaking. “Applejack, whatever it is, you know you can tell me…”

“Rarity, I’m gay.”

Rarity’s hand snatched away as though it had been burned. There was nothing malicious in the act, really it was more the shock than anything, but she knew in the next instant that it had been the worst possible thing she could’ve done following those three words. She tried to reach back out, but Applejack had already jumped to her feet and was speeding towards the door.

“I’m sorry I said anything.” Her voice was thick, the promise of tears more than evident. “Just forget I said anything. I’ll go…”

Rarity reached her just as she reached for the door-handle. She wrapped her oldest and dearest friend as tightly as she could and held her close. Applejack struggled weakly for a moment, but then the tears came in full force and she collapsed into the pale girl’s embrace. Rarity held tight as the sobs wracked her body, and she followed when her knees gave out and she fell to the plush carpet below. When the wave of weeping finally subsided, Rarity whispered assurances, kind words, and countless apologies for her initial reaction. She assured her that she was still her very best friend, and that nothing could ever change that. When Applejack’s final sobs had dried up, the two simply knelt together in silence.

It was Rarity who finally spoke. “How long have you known?”

“A few months.” Applejack wiped her nose and coughed, her voice hoarse. “I mean, I guess I always kinda suspected. I never did come around on boys like the rest of ya’ll did.”

Rarity laughed lightly and squeezed her.

“Are… are we okay?”

“Of course we are, darling.” Rarity finally released her grip and turned Applejack by the shoulders. She turned the orange girl so they were face to face. “This changes nothing. You’re still my best friend.”

Applejack smiled and hugged the seamstress tightly. “Thanks, Rares. That means the world to me.”

Rarity pulled away and examined the other girl’s tear-puffed eyes. “Now, come along. I believe a face mask is in order before we turn in.” The two laughed as they stood and started for the bathroom. “So… you like girls.”

“Yep.” Applejack smiled wistfully. “Feels good to finally say it out loud like that.”

“Well then, I suppose I must amend my previous inquiry.”

“How’s that?”

“Is there some fair young lady we know that’s struck your fancy?” She turned and offered her brightest smile, her purple hair bouncing on one pale shoulder. Her inquiring eyes danced in the light.

Applejack froze and gulped hard. She shook off the moment and did her best to feign aloofness. “Nope. Can’t think of anyone right now.”

Rarity pouted slightly, then shrugged as she turned away. “Well, you simply must keep me abreast of the situation.”

Applejack followed quickly, doing her best to ignore just how pleasantly the jasmine scented shampoo Rarity used danced in her nose. “Uh, believe me, Rares; you’ll be the first to know.”