• Published 25th Feb 2018
  • 508 Views, 14 Comments

The Mediator - XenosFire



Necromancy. The most vile and evil of all magics. Can such a wicked practice be used for the benefit of ponies?

  • ...
0
 14
 508

Chapter 4

-

Chapter 4

“Our story begins as many do.” He waved his tiny hoof and several small sparks flared and died with each movement he made. “A tale of two strangers. One a pony much like you and one shepherd such as I. ‘Twas many a season in the past, when they met. Such a chance encounter that would forever change the fate of an entire bloodline, or maybe it was meant to be. It can be difficult to tell what is Fate’s weavings and what might be merely a slip of her needle.

“A pony found herself in grief, holding the cold, cold form of another, hoping to speak to her love even once more. To feel his warmth if even just once more. And grieve she did. But blessed she was as a friend such as I was near, as ever we are whenever Death takes the his due. She called out and pleaded them to not take her love from her. She swore to do anything, give up anything, if she could have just a moment longer. So piteous was her cry. And her display managed to stall the hand of Fate and the shepherd did take notice.

“‘Why is it that you wail so, mortal? Surely as you live, you will die. You will meet the same fate as he who lays before you as surely as he did.”

“‘Dearest spirit, take pity on me! I have not had enough time with him! Death is too cruel. To steal my love, so soon. Should you take him from me, I fear my heart to break!”

“And her cries, so painful, caused the shepherd to pause. Her agony started to tear her very soul in twain. ‘You wish your love not the rest he has earned? Then so it shall be. But I must have something in return.’

“‘Anything! Ask of me anything and I shall throw it at your hooves without pause!’”

“‘Anything is a very steep price, child.’

“‘And being without my love is steeper still. Anything I shall give, spirit. Merely ask and it is yours!’

“And so the shepherd demanded her blood. Not to be spilled, but to serve. Her children, and her children’s children would serve as shepherds such as he. And without hesitation did she agree. The shepherd waved his lantern and chains pierced her and her love both. ‘No longer need you fear death, but no longer will you rest either. You are now bound to us, to serve both in life and death.’ And it was as he said, her love rose to his feet once more and held her close. But she had yet to realize the price she paid, or the life her love had been given.

“The mare stood horrified as her love turned to dust before her, leaving only his skeleton standing. She pushed him away and cried out once more to the shepherd. ‘Great spirit, what has happened? You promise me my love and yet you take him from me yet again!’

“‘And your love yet remains in his shell. He is now bound to you, and will forever be by your side.’ He looked at the dead pony. ‘His reward is forfeit. As is yours.’

“The shepherd then left her, her wails growing loudly yet again. And vengeance she swore against him, to have tricked her so and so too did her soul fall to darkness.”

I gasped as tears started to well up. The foal stopped his story as he took notice of my stress.

“A sad tale to be true, but the tale has yet to end. The mare walked back home, her lover’s corpse slowly following behind. They were unable to speak to each other, unable to feel each other’s warmth. And so the mare fell to depression. She walked to the kitchen to grab her knife and end her sorrow, when she felt a small jab from within her. She looked down and rubbed her slightly swollen belly, dropping the knife and wailed yet again.

“Months passed. Seasons changed. A child was born to her, and the shepherd did come to her and saw the consequences of his actions. The mare lay on her bed, completely motionless as a small foal suckled from her, her skeleton lover being the only one to have cared for her these past several months. Any will to live had completely left her. The shepherd saw this and was overcome by grief. But a promise made is a promise that must be kept. He reached out and took hold of the child, cradling it closely. The mother finally responded, her sunken eyes falling upon him. She tried to say something, but nothing but faint whispers came forth.

“‘I am afraid there is nothing I can do for you. Your soul has been bound to his, and as his soul cannot rest, neither can yours. I will be unable to shepherd you to peace, but take solace in this at least. For as long as your bloodline yet lives, I shall watch over them and guide them down the path you have thrust upon them.’

“The mare managed to force herself upright, her entire form shaking from the exertion. ‘I curse thee, monster. Take your hollow promises and false hopes and bury them where you buried my heart.’ A dark tendril had begun to seep out of her side and curled around her form, growing stronger the more her hate consumed her. ‘Damn you. Damn you to the blackest pit.’ The tendril started becoming a thick chain that began choking her, her eyes rolling back into her head as she collapsed back into the bed.

“The spirit saw what was becoming of her. Her own hatred was killing her, and should she ever leave her abode, only ill tidings would follow.

“‘I cannot allow you to leave as you are. Fester and let your hate grow if you will, but it shall never leave these grounds.’ And a flame poured forth from his lantern, burning the small cottage to the ground, both unfortunate souls still inside. The spirit quickly fled, taking the newborn with him.”

The spirit walked towards me, lifting a hoof to pick up my jaw from the floor, snapping it shut with a gentle motion. “Do be careful child, lest you fancy eating insects.”

I shook my head and glared at the foal. “Ok, hold up. Two things.” I took a deep breath. “First, it’s winter. There are no insects this time of year.”

The foal looked quite amused. “So it is, dear child. So it is. Quite the astute observation that you bring forth.”

I flushed at that remark but continued regardless. “And secondly, everything you’ve said so far has made you sound like a villain.”

I expected anger at that, or maybe dismissal. But the foal simply laughed aloud, as if he had just heard the greatest joke ever. His mane and tale were sparking pink as he did as well, in time with each of his guffaws. I patiently waited him out, now intensely curious how that was so funny.

After a few more moments, the spirit managed to compose himself, wiping a tear from his eye. “Ah, such is the honor and right of youth: to state the truth as they feel it is, regardless of the consequences. I am very pleased that you have a strong sense of morality as well. That will be necessary to ignore the dark temptations of those who would practice necromancy.” He chuckled once more before sitting before me. “Tell me, child, why do you think what I did was evil?”

I took a deep breath and thought for a few moments, gathering my thoughts. “Well, for starters, you offered her a deal you knew would end horribly for her.”

“I offered her nothing. She wanted something, and I gave her a price. She accepted it without question. Would you fault the shopkeeper for a fool who didn’t understand what it was that he was purchasing? Or the teacher for not teaching the answers to children who ask not questions?”

“But you knew what would happen! You knew she didn’t know what she was getting into!”

“Had I done nothing, child, she would have hated all the same. At least she had an opportunity to learn an important lesson. An opportunity she squandered.” The foal smiled warmly. “But, suffice that we shall leave it at a difference of viewpoints. Is there any other reason you believe my act to be so wicked? Come now, reveal to me how you view the world.”

“O-ok.” This was not was I was expecting, and I struggled to regain my mental footing. “Oh! Yeah! What about taking her child from her?”

He shrugged. “It was the price she paid for her love’s soul. One she accepted without hesitation.”

“You burned her alive!”

“I simply saved those who were near her from a terrible fate. Had her hatred continued to consume her, even her death wouldn’t have quenched it. She would have turned to anyone nearby in her madness and death would be close behind. Fire is a powerful purifier. Just as you boil water over a roaring flame to kill disease, I called a conflagration to remove a potential plague.”

“THAT DOESN’T MEAN IT WASN’T WRONG!”

The room fell silent. Darkness began to creep in around us, drowning out the light in it’s entirety. My heart began to race as I watched Mom silently screaming as Dad held her back, a mist-like fog blocking my view of them after a few more moments. I tried running towards them, but I felt something grab me and hold me in place. I looked back to the foal…no, it wasn’t a foal any more. The spirit floated before me, his lantern the only source of light, burning a pale blue. He floated down next to me, his eyes glowing a fierce red in contrast though. His voice lost all softness, becoming very deep and menacing, the chimes being replaced by the gong of a massive bell as he spoke.

“Tell me, child, exactly what I did wrong. I gave her what she wanted. I took only what she agreed to. Tell me, O wise one, how was what I did evil?”

I don’t know where my courage came from, I simply stared at this creature even as my entire body trembled. I can’t explain it. I just knew that I was right and he was wrong. He could phrase it anyway he wanted it, but...

“So what if you told her everything she needed to know?! So what if she agreed?! You KNEW exactly how it would end and you simply let it happen! Dad, Mom, everypony has told me time and time again that life is precious! That it must be protected despite how bad things look!”

“Oh? And what would you have done instead? Had I done nothing, she would have turned to darkness. You have clearly rejected giving her what she wanted. What would you have done differently?”

“I would have shown her compassion! She was hurting! I would have comforted her as best I was able! Talk to her! Do anything in my power to help her!”

“And what if that didn’t work?”

“Then I know that at least I tried!”

“Ah, so as long as your conscience is clear, it doesn’t matter what the outcome is? How is that any different from what I did? I feel no guilt over her choices. Does that not mean I am in the right?”

“You can phrase it any way you want! Maybe I am a fool! Maybe I couldn’t have done any better than you! I’m just a foal after all! Haven’t even gotten my stupid cutie mark! But I know! I know that what you did was wrong! Maybe it’s just to ease my conscience, thinking I’d do better, but at the very least I’d try!” I panted and sat down, the adrenaline wearing off, my legs shaking and I felt cold, like I had been doused in partially melted snow.

“Well said, child, though still naïve.” The mist immediately pulled away, revealing us to my parents. “Though I said that I felt no guilt, I must confess to an untruth. Or at least, to what is no longer the truth. I felt no guilt for what I did back then, but as I spent time with you mortals I learned and experienced many things. Things that you ponies find so easy to grasp had entirely eluded me. All I have to do is think back, and simply imagine if I would have done the same if one of your blood had been in her place. Would I have done the same thing to your father? You grandfather? I do not believe I would. But I will not regret what I did either.” The spirit reached into his lantern, coaxing out a singular flame, this one a warm yellow. “Though it is selfish of me, the time I have spent among your line, you short lived mortals, has been invaluable to me, and I wouldn’t change a day. The ends may not justify the means, but that doesn’t mean that good can’t come from evil.

“And while yes, this story had a very sad start, I meant it when I said it was a happy tale. Your family has done many great things over the years, and I have grown very fond of every one of you.”

“There is much to learn, child, but, as the hour grows brighter, I must away from this place. I will allow you one week to prepare for your journey down the path of the mediator. Time enough to say your farewells.” And with that, the shepherd left through a window, waving his lantern as he did, the pane swinging open of it’s own accord.

My parents both grabbed hold of me, hugging me very tightly, my Mom still crying as she did. I just felt dazed. Everything had happened so quickly and I hadn’t had time to process it yet. An hour ago, I had believed that I would learn to raise a skeleton from my Dad, now I was being taken away by some spirit for Celestia knows how long in a week’s time instead. I rubbed my temples even as I was slowly being crushed.

Author's Note:

Man, I had to write this chapter no less than five times! Sometimes the chapter got way too dark, other times, it simply didn't appeal to me. I think I finally got close to what I had initially envisioned, but if you guys have any questions or notice anything off, let me know! Just like Trickle, I have MUCH to learn!