• Published 10th Feb 2018
  • 415 Views, 11 Comments

Royal Guard Training - Mocha Jon



Shining Armor begins training new potential cadets for the Royal Guards. Between two naturally gifted soldiers and one small horned and clumsy... and infatuated unicorn, he has his work cut out for him.

  • ...
6
 11
 415

Chapter 1

It was a sunny day in Equestria, and it was recruitment day in Canterlot for new members of Celestia and Luna’s Royal Guards. Shining Armor and Flash Sentry were responsible for training the new recruits. The two unicorns were known for having very different methods of preparing the soldiers, with Flash having a more no nonsense personality and tended to remain somewhat distant with his cadets. Shining Armor however was more tactile, wanting to get to know them all as much as he can to find their strengths. The two agreed to share the cadets equally, the two even like to put a little bet on who could get better results. The loser had to pay 50 bits to the winner, and Shining Armor has won the bet for years on end, and he was not ready to stop that streek.

The two were seen marching side by side into the outer area of the Princesses’ castle, noticing six recruits standing around outside, most of them seemed to be distracted and inattentive. Some of the stallions were fooling around on the equipment and the rest were just daydreaming away. “ATTENTION!!!” The two stallions yelled in unison.

“Standing!” The cyan colored pony said as they all arrived.

At that moment, all six recruits went over to the two leaders and stood in attention looking right at the two, looking dead forward at them. “Listen up, you six signed up for Royal Guard training, that means you all need to dedicate your hearts and souls to Equestria!” Flash Sentry said, looking a large red pegasus in the eye, “And you need to work even harder than you have ever worked before…” He said as he looked down at the pegasus’ motorcycle cutie mark, “...As a rebellious biker…” He said as he looked at the green and purple earth ponies next to him, “Or as a bruty gym rat or police officer!!!”

Shining Armor looked at the three cadets on the right, he looked much less stern and even had a smile on his face “Cadets, please state your names and your reasons for joining.” He said as he looked at a large yellow unicorn, giving him a pleasant and calming grin.

“CAMO CADET, SIR! MY FATHER WAS A SERVER AND I AM FOLLOWING IN HIS HOOFSTEPS!!!” The yellow pony yelled proudly, Shining looked down and saw a wave of green brown yellow and black as a cutie mark.

“COMBAT GEAR SIR! IT’S MY DUTY TO MARCH AND STAND GUARD FOR THIS GREAT NATION SIR!!!” The orange pony yelled, followed by giving Shining Armor a devoted salute. Shining could see a combat boot and military utility belt as a cutie mark. Shining Armor felt a little smug with these two cadets, he grinned and looked at Flash, thinking he was certainly going to win the bet.

Shining then looked over to the, slightly smaller, cyan pony who seemed less… Confident than the others, “What about you, blue earth pony.?”

He didn’t know how to answer, he assumed he was talking to someone else, “Hu, me? Oh, it’s Mocha Jon… And business has been low at the coffee house and I wanted to try something new…” He said as he adjusted his mane and revealed a horn that was the size of a colt’s, “Drinking coffee at a young age will stunt your growth…”

Flash looked over and chuckled at that, thinking he had a better chance at winning seeing him, “Alright, you three will train with me, Camo Cadet, Combat Gear and Mocha Jon will focus with Shining Armor.” He said as he started jogging away, with his three following him.

Shining Armor looked at the three and began examining them, wondering how he should start this round. “Alright, I can tell you guys have the heart, I mean two of you already seem born for it.” Shining Armor said as he light up his horn and pulled out three sets of Royal Guard gear. They contained small helmets, not large ones that would obscure their eyesight or be too heavy, and small swords and shields, too small to do actual damage. Camo Cadet and Combat Gear took hold of them quickly, even started playfully holding them up proudly, Mocha Jon on the other hoof…

“Dropping!” Jon said as he dropped the sword less than inch away from his hoof. He then tried picking it up again carefully.

Shining blew his whistle and started yelling for the stallions’ attention, “Stand hut!” Shining said as he waited for the stallions to stand in attention, they all quickly stood in attention and waited for instruction.

“Standing!” Mocha narrated once again, making the other cadets wince eyes at that strange habit of narration.

“Okay… Good to know…” Shining said awkwardly as he remembered his plan, “Listen, there is a code every cadet must follow, we’re going to say it once, and everypony will have it memorized by the end of training, repeat after me,” Shining said as he turned around to face the Equestria flag. “My heart beats for Equestria!”

“My heart beats for Equestria!” They all repeated in unison.

“I stand with my sword for Celestia!”

“I stand with my sword for Celestia!”

“My hooves will hurt and my mind will break…”

“My hooves will hurt and my mind will break…?” The stallions looked a little confused and worried about that part.

Shining Armor then turned back around after that comment with his eyes closed. When he opened them, they were not blue, but green, “And it is my honor to serve the evil Changelings!” Shining yelled as his horn light up bright green and blasted all three of the cadets in the face.

When the three opened their eyes, they were all turned into green eyes, staring blankly ahead. Shining grinned at that and lifted up his front left hoof, the hypnotized cadets copying the exact movement. Shining then put it down then took one step forward, the cadets then did the exact same movement. Shining then jumped up in the air and did a backflip, and the other cadets followed the same movement and flipped in the air (with Jon falling on his face in the end…)

“It looks like it’s working pretty well…” Shining said as he light his horn up again with a bright green hue and suddenly the cadet’s eyes turned back to normal, and they all looked disoriented.

“Huh? What just happened?” Camo Cadet asked as he looked at Combat Gear.

“Ugh… Awakening…” Mocha Jon said as he stood up slowly, looking like he had a headache.

Shining walked over to the cadets and tried to explain what happened, “That was your first test cadets.” He said with a bit of a chuckle in his voice.

Combat Gear shook his head off and caught his guard back, “Test? What are you talking about? Where’s Queen Chrysilas?” He said as he held his sword out in preparation, “And your eyes! They got you too!”

Shining continued to chukle to himself, “Relax guys…” He said as he light his horn up the normal purple, and telekinetically removed some small things from his eyes as they turned blue again, “Non prescription contact lenses, they don’t do anything!” He said as he used his magic to put the contacts in Combat Gear’s eyes, making them green too.

Combat looked into his reflection in the shield and nodded, “Hey I look good in green, can I keep these?”

Shining nodded then began explaining his reasoning, “Ever since my wedding, everypony on the Royal Guards needs to not only train physically for defense, but mentally to fight that spell. At the end of training, I will try that spell again and if you can snap yourselves out of it, you will be full fledged Royal Guards!”

The three cadets all looked at each other and all seemed a bit nervous at that, they were not expecting to fight anything mentally, only physically, but they knew they needed to do whatever it took to join the guards, “SIR YES SIR!!!” The three said in unison, saluting with their left hooves.

“Saluting!” Jon added

Shining grinned at that dedication, signaling the cadets inside, “Love the spirit guys! Come on, I’ll show you guys where you’ll be sleeping!” He said as the three stallions quickly followed through. Camo Cadet and Combat Gear were marching at a strong speed whereas Mocha Jon was simply walking casually behind them all.