• Published 5th Apr 2018
  • 3,186 Views, 31 Comments

Who we really are? - FieryUnicorn42



Sunset Shimmer goes to Equestria to reconcile with Princess Celestia, however, this meeting makes her know more about herself and her former teacher than she ever expected.

  • ...
6
 31
 3,186

A great and powerful something, I guess

Arriving at the Ponyville train station, Solaria takes a deep breath and exhales.

"I love how the air smells here. Reminds me of my youth, when Luna and I lived with our parents in a village half of Ponyville's size."

"You miss them?"

"Yes, but I fear that I'm beginning to forget. Sometimes is difficult to remember their faces."

While Solaria's first sentence carried joy, Sunset noticed a tone of sadness in the last one.

"But we aren't here to talk about my past, or what I left behind, we are here to conquer Ponyville."

"I don't think this is a good idea."

Both mares looked back and saw Starlight.

Sunset walked and hugged her.

"Starlight is nice to see you"

"I could say the same."

"So you wanna help Solaria and me take over Equestria?"

"The law requires that I answer no."

"But I thought we are friends. Come on, Starlight will be so fun!"

"Sure you are one of my best friends, Sunset, but even if I had any world domination plans, which I don't, I won't discuss it in front of the princess."

"What princess?" Asked Sunset doing her best to not laugh.

"Princess Celestia." replied Starlight pointing to Solaria. "I know that disguise."

"I see you have more attention to details than Twilight."

"Yeah, sort of. So what brings you to Ponyville?"

"I'm just wanted to spend a day away from Canterlot. Ponyville reminds me of my old town."

"Really? where is your town?"

"Used to be where today is Vanhoover."

"Princess..."

"Please call me, Solaria for today, Starlight. Let's not reveal my disguise"

"Hum, okay."

"I'm sorry, you are asking me..."

"Oh, right. So 'solaria' have you and Sunset any plans for today?"

"I was thinking about having some goodies at Sugarcube corner. Have you any suggestion, Sunset?"

"Actually no. I barely know Ponyville. Any idea, Starlight?"

"Well, I was going to help Trixie with her show. Wanna come?"

Solaria rubbed her chin with a hoof.

"It's a long time since I saw miss Lulamoon."

"You know Trixie?"

"Oh, Twilight doesn't tell you? Trixie is an Equestrian hero. She, Discord, Thorax, and your friend Starlight defeated queen Chrysalis and helped the changelings change, and became a new kingdom ally of Equestria."

"No, neither she nor Starlight told me that."

"In my defense, that happened after I visited your world."

"Well, I guess Twilight was right when she said that Equestria would find a way to survive without her element of harmony."

Solaria and Starlight looked to Sunset having no idea what she was talking about.

"Nevermind. So, lead the way, Starlight, we don't wanna be late for Trixie's show."

"Well, Starlight, seems miss Lulamoon will have two more ponies in her audience. How much for the tickets for the show?"

"Oh, I can't charge you Solaria, you are, you know, 'you'."

"Nonsense. Today I'm just an ordinary mare, and would be a pleasure watching the Great and Powerful Trixie's show."

"Mom is right. I know for my own experience that every bit counts at the end of the day."

"Well, if you insist, will be five bits for each ticket."


After the show, Trixie is on backstage, giving some autographs, while Solaria and Sunset wait. About thirty minutes later, they finally can talk with her.

"Trixie, this is Solaria and her daughter, Sunset."

"Oh, Trixie is always happy to meet her fans."

"Miss Lulamoon, your show was amazing."

"Mom is right, I'm glad that we stopped to see it."

"Well, thank you."

"You mind taking a photo with us? My friends won't believe that I meet you." asked Sunset

"Trixie, I mean, I would love to take a photo with you."

Sunset grabbed her phone and handed it to Starlight. Solaria and Sunset sit on the ground, with Trixie between them.

"And, here we go."

After taking some photos, Starlight gave back Sunset's phone.

"This camera is strange. Why is too tiny?"

"It's a new model from... Manehattan. Yeah, I work as a tester to a camera industry." replied Sunset nervously.

"So, miss Lulamoon, are you interested in improving your magical skills? I mean, you are awesome, but what about learning advanced spells?"

"What are you doing?" whispered Sunset in her mother's ear.

"I know what I'm doing." whispered Solaria back.

"This doesn't even make sense!" replied Sunset.

"Mm, there's a trick or two that may need some improvement. I'm listening."

"I work as a maid on Canterlot's castle and some days ago, I've heard that princess Celestia is planning to open a class of advanced magic for young adult unicorns. Maybe I can suggest your name as one of her students."

"Sounds interesting. Why you will do this?"

"Well, it's not every day that I have a chance to lend a hoof of an Equestria hero, not to count that I'm a big fan of yours."

"Mm, you know how many ponies the princess is planning to have in these classes?"

"I dunno, maybe four or five. Raven said that she wants a small group, just to know if it would work."

"It sounds good. Thanks, Solaria."

"You're welcome, miss Lulamoon."

"Oh, please," said Trixie with a dismissive hoof, "you can call me just Trixie."

"So, Trixie, are you planning to accept?"

"This would be an amazing opportunity, Starlight. Sure, I won't be the only student, but still, I will be Celestia's personal student and Twilight Sparkle will have to admit that we are equal."

Starlight rolled her eyes.

"This again? Twilight already said that you are a great magician, she even admitted that she learned a spell from you."

"I know, but mocking her stills funny."

"Trixie!"

"What?"

"Well," said Solaria breaking the tension, "if you don't mind, Sunset and I have some places to go."

"Oh, sure. And thanks again for your offer, Solaria. You have no idea how much this means to me."

"You don't have to thank me, Trixie. Is a pleasure being useful for an equestrian hero like you."

"Say, Starlight, do you think that the friendship castle is open for visitation?" Asked Sunset

"Yes, I mean, the castle is technically the Ponyville library too, since Tirek blew up the Golden Oak Library. Also, is my house, so I guess Twilight won't mind if I show it for you after I help Trixie pack her show stuff, of course."

"Nah, you don't have to, Starlight, go on, be their guide, I can handle everything here."

"Thanks, Trix, I'll bring something from Sugarcube Corner to you."


The three mares stop at the sugar cube corner and sit to have a snack.

"So, ´Solaria', why are you so interested in Trixie? You think she's pretty?" asked Starlight

"I could ask the same." said Sunset.

"Well, I can't deny that she's gorgeous." said Solaria with a lustful smile

"Be careful with your next words, Solaria. Trixie is mine." replied Starlight with a sly smile

"Oh, and what makes you think that I want only her?" replied Solaria with a wink

"You can't be serious."

"What, aren't you in old mares? Don't you think I'm hot?"

Starlight stays silent, with a shocked expression on her face.

"Celestia please kill me." said Sunset hitting the table with her head.

"Nah, I'm not in the mood for that, but thanks for the offer." replied Solaria.

"MOM! Can you please be serious?"

"Fine, but you two aren't fun. Maybe you already know that Trixie took the admission test to CSGU."

"Yeah, she said me this. Prin... I mean, Solaria, can I ask why you didn't accept her?"

Solaria and Sunset noticed the sadness in Statlight's voice.

"I saw potential in her, but she failed on the test. She was so nervous about appearing in front of the evaluators that ended up failing."

"I can't imagine Trixie having stagefright, none of them. I guess I need to know Trixie better."

"A couple of years later, I've heard that she became a traveling magician, I always wanted to attend one of her shows, but never could due to my royal duties."

"So, do you think she could be great?"

Solaria catch a hint of hope in Starlight's voice.

"In one word? Yes. Maybe she won't be so versed as both of you or Twilight in magic, but I really see great potential on her."

"And you really thought on opening a class of magic for young adults?"

"You know how I love to teach the young ones, Sunset, and with my retirement, I will have a lot of spare time, so why not retribute all the love of my little ponies teaching some of them that couldn't have a proper magic education?"

"And you are planning to help only unicorns?" Asked Sunset raising an eyebrow.

"Of course not! While CSGU, as the name says, is dedicated to gifted unicorns, I'll try to reach pegasi and earth ponies too."

"But wouldn't be simpler adapting the CSGU to include non-unicorns than opening a new school?"

"Unfortunately not, Starlight. Thanks to Equestrian Educational Association, is easier to open a new school than change the structure of an existent one."

"And I thought that my world has stupid laws." said Sunset with a little chuckle.

Before they could discuss any further, Pinkie appeared with her orders.

"A blueberry muffin with hot chocolate, to Starlight. Strawberry milkshake and coconut cream pie to Sunset. And two slices of our seven-layered cake and an ice tea with a slice of lemon to the princess."

"Ok," said Sunset surprised "thanks Pinkie, you read my mind."

"And how do you know, I'm the princess, miss Pie?"

"Was just logical deduction. Sunset doesn't have a lot of friends here in Equestria, besides Twilight, Starlight, the girls, and I. So when she comes here with Starlight and you, a mare that looks old enough to be her mother, I conclude that you only could be princess Celestia."

"You really are such a mystery, Pinkie. Could it be our little secret?"

"As you wish, ma'am." said Pinkie making a zipping move on her lips

Starlight looked to Sunset, who was calmly slurping her milkshake.

"Why are you so calm?"

Sunset put the glass on the table.

"It's just Pinkie being Pinkie. I have one in my world, so I'm used to her shenanigans."

"So, miss Pie, can I borrow you for a while?"

"Sure, things are pretty quiet here, and is time for my break."

Pinkie waved to Mrs. Cake before sitting on Starlight's side and pulling a cupcake from her mane.

"What do you wanna know, princess?"

"Sunset's birthday is near, and I was thinking..."

"Say no more. I'm in."

"Oh, thanks Pinkie. I would love to do it all by myself, but I'm still Equestria's ruler, which let me with almost no time to spare."

"Mom, my birthday isn't that near."

"I know, but will be your first as my daughter, so..."

Sunset raised a hoof and Solaria stop talking.

"Mom I know you want to shout to the world that I'm your daughter and that you love me, I love you too, but I don't want a big party, maybe something more personal, with you, aunt Luna and my friends."

"I guess you are right. It's just that I'm so happy that you're back to me that I want all the world to know."

"It's ok." she replied touching Solaria's arm.

"But it doesn't mean that I would reject a party by the greatest party planner in Equestria. I know you will do something intimate but still memorable, Pinkie."

"You can count on me, Sunset."

They chat for a while until Pinkie's break ended and waved their goodbyes to her not long before Solaria's spell ended and she became Celestia again.

"Well, it was fun not being the princess for some hours. I hope that with my retirement the ponies start to see me as an equal."

"It will not happen. Even if you aren't a princess anymore, princess, the ponies will eventually bow to you in reflex, I mean, you are their princess since forever, so will take some years, maybe, to see you as a regular pony."

"Starlight has a point. From my own experience, people don't change the way they see you from day to night, it takes some time."

"Well, I would love to stay with you, but Trixie and I have a reservation for lunch."

"Oh, don't let us stop you, Starlight."

"Yeah, go get her, tiger!"

"Bye."

And then, Starlight vanished, appeared again to grab Trixie's present, and disappeared again.