• Published 22nd Jul 2012
  • 1,183 Views, 43 Comments

The River Rose - Stosyl



A mysterious stallion adept in an ancient form of magic shows up in Ponyville.

  • ...
1
 43
 1,183

II. Alchemy

Emerald Alembic walked out of the spa as clean and well-groomed as a prince, his mane more golden than yellow in the sun. Yet he wore his battered travel cloak with an almost jealous care.

During his bath he had time to organize his thoughts better than he could on the road: long walks reveal a treasure trove of thoughts, but only water clears the mind enough to organize them. He imagined all he had to do during his time in Ponyville, and his first step was to make himself a friend of the Princess’s best-prized pupil.

He determined that he would visit her immediately on some pretense of research, to strengthen their familiarity. He asked a tousle-maned stallion for directions and headed for the library.

Emerald knocked on the Dutch door painted with a candle. He smiled to himself at this symbol of illumination. He heard a voice call out to come in, so he pushed the door open and entered to see a well-stacked, albeit small library.

He was very surprised to find a baby dragon on a tall ladder reshelving books, but he was well enough acquainted with dragons to get over this surprise quickly.

“I’m looking for a book on Star Swirl the Bearded,” Emerald called up.

“Star Swirl?” the dragon said, scratching his head. “I don’t know where any Star Swirl books would be. Try ‘S’.”

A groan erupted from an upstairs room.

“Spike!” Twilight’s voice reared.

She appeared at the balcony still balancing an open book with her magic. The dragon’s face evinced terrible apprehension, like any foal faces when he knows he will have to lie momentarily.

“I can’t believe you still haven’t read that book I gave you.”

“I was gonna,” Spike pleaded, “but…I lost it.”

Twilight rolled her eyes and briskly trotted down the stairs to meet Emerald.

“Are you looking for history,” she asked, “or spells?”

“Spells would be best,” said Emerald. “You wouldn’t happen to have any originals, would you?”

“Originals?”

“Untranslated.”

“Well, I do have a few,” Twilight began, “but the Latin is very complex. Not to mention the ciphers…”

“Which originals do you have?”

“I have two untranslated texts of Star Swirl the Bearded’s spells. One of them is mostly research, and honestly it focuses on the amniomorphic spell ad nauseum.”

“I’m not interested in amniomorphism,” Emerald said politely. “I’ve already studied that. What’s the other book?”

“Oh, okay. The other one is divided into three sections. The first is Ward spells he was commissioned to create for the Royal Guard; the second section is Construction spells; and the final section is potions.”

“Do you remember any specific potions listed in that book?”

“I can have Spike check for you,” Twilight smiled. “Spike! Check the potions in the book labeled S-S199.”

Spike sulked down from the ladder and went about searching for the book.

“Do you perhaps have anything on alchemy?” Emerald asked.

Twilight furrowed her brow ever so slightly and hesitated, so Emerald added:

“Star Swirl the Bearded discovered alchemy. The rearrangement of the elements? Is there nothing on that in this library?”

“Erm,” Twilight returned, “I don’t remember that from my studies.”

Emerald sighed.

Spike came over with the requested book, and flipped through the pages, scratching his head.

“I can’t read this,” he said.

Twilight groaned.

“Give me that.”

She yanked the book from Spike’s claws and turned the pages swiftly, calling out one after another:

“Stomach ache, virus, headache, broken limb, forgetfulness, truth, soothing…”

“It’s worth a look, thank you,” said Emerald, taking the book from Twilight.

There was a moment of silence when Spike went back to reshelving.

“You look much cleaner,” was all Twilight could think to say. She smiled awkwardly and added, “I mean you’re very handsomely groomed now. It must be nice to wash up after a long journey.”

“It is,” said Emerald in his gentlest voice.

The door creaked as someone entered the library.

“Oh, I hope I’m not interrupting,” the visitor said.

“Not at all, Rarity,” said Twilight. “I’m just finding some books for our guest here. He’s only in Ponyville for a little while. Emerald, this is Rarity. She’s a very talented dressmaker here in Ponyville.”

“Oh, do go on!”

“Emerald Alembic,” the stallion said with a deep bow.

“Charmed, of course,” said Rarity. “Oh, but look at what you’re wearing! So old and torn! I simply must make you something more befitting.”

“Thank you,” smiled Emerald, “but I haven’t worn a dress in many years.”

Spike snorted with laughter across the room.

“No no no,” said Rarity, “of course it would be something masculine. Perhaps a new cloak just like yours, or one more dashing. What do you say?”

“I say I can’t pass up a good offer,” Emerald hesitated, “but I’m afraid I’d find it difficult to pay you.”

“Nonsense! A friend of Twilight Sparkle is a friend of mine, and I wouldn’t dream of making my friends pay. I’ll see you for measurements today then?”

Emerald quickly realized that he couldn’t argue with this kind of mare. He nodded that he would allow himself to be fitted, but looked apprehensively at his cloak.

“Wonderful. Two this afternoon, then. Don’t be late!”

“Not for the world,” Emerald said. “But for now I have to be going. I’ll return this book quickly,” he added to Twilight, and he rushed out the door. He had a lot of preparations to complete, and did not want to be delayed from them too long. At least, he thought to himself, I’ve secured a place for myself in her circle of friends.

“He seems very nice,” said Rarity once he was gone. “He almost looks like a prince, or a member of the Royal Guard.”

She gasped.

“Does he know Shining Armor? Is that how you met?”

“It’s nothing like that,” said Twilight. “I have no idea who he is, he’s just traveling.”

“I wish I’d known that before I promised him a free outfit,” Rarity mumbled.

Twilight laughed softly.

“But he might be very influential, dear,” Rarity continued. “It could be good for us—I mean, for you—to be his friend.”

“Of course,” Twilight humored her.

“Oh, I almost forgot. I came to give you this.”

Rarity showed Twilight a bright pink card.

“‘You’re Invited’?” she read aloud.

“The Cakes’ anniversary is in two days,” Rarity explained. “It’s going to be marvelous! A picnic in the park, and fireworks. Pinkie has asked Applejack to do most of the baking so the treats will be a surprise.”

“Is there anything I can do to help?” said Twilight.

“Yeah, is there anything we can do?” Spike parroted.

“I’m so glad you asked!” said Rarity. “If you could be a dear and hand out the rest of these invitations, I would be much obliged.”

She dumped several dozen envelopes onto the floor with a careless speed that said she had always planned for this to be their fate.

“Er, sure,” said Twilight. “We can do that.”

“Thank you, Twilight. Now I have to go find a foalsitter for Sweetie Belle so I can have some peace and quiet while working with our friend Emerald Alembic.”

Rarity left without another word.

“Spike,” said Twilight once she had left, “take a letter to the Princess.”