• Published 29th Dec 2017
  • 822 Views, 31 Comments

The Last Flower - TheMareWhoSaysNi



War. Death. Destruction. The end of civilization as we know it. And yet, there it is, as long as there can be life, and love: the last flower still blooming when everything else have been annihilate.

  • ...
6
 31
 822

Flowers As Far As Eyes Can See

About every three months, newcomers arrived at Canterlot’s Military Academy. Called Cadets, they would never all progress the same way after their admission. According to how they performed at training sessions and in civilian interventions, they could get promoted and incorporate specialties in various fields.

It was now already four years since Soarin had enrolled in the Academy and his rank was now this of Chief Warrant Officer, and he intended to move up to Second Lieutenant before his seventeenth birthday.

To be honest, the competition was ruthless and his main rival was no one else than his best friend, Fire Streak, though the latter dreamed more of becoming instructor than of being a soldier for his whole life.

During each of the welcoming ceremony for Cadets, the top brasses weren’t meddled among the audience with the others, but they were sitting on chairs on the main platform, behind General and Chief General, always repeating the same old speech.

All the students agreed to say these ceremonies were deeply boring, yet Military rigor oblige, no one displayed annoyance of hearing the same sentences over and over each trimester, tirelessly. They had not to let the Cadets think everything would be easy and at the same time, they neither had to show them how demanding the system was.

Such a subtle art with which Soarin got along effortlessly … But it wasn’t the same for Fire Streak.

This true stud and official female newbie’s heartbreaker, had some little game, always the same as well, helping him to go through the welcome ceremony with a light heart.

There obviously were girls among the Cadets. Back then, becoming a Military or not wasn’t really a choice and Caste were respected with a scrupulous fastidiousness, almost martial. No matter which gender you were, you had to stay in the Caste which you were born in, unless you got married or had a member of your family married to someone from another Caste.

And so, every three months, he would scrutinize them from head to toes and attribute them a note, while explaining his choice to Soarin who only listened silently.

According to Fire Streak, this year was especially good and he would be delighted to choose among this pool of freshness and innocence. One of the young girls, in particular, titillated his curiosity for a very precise reason, connected with her filial bonds.

With his chin, discreetly, the orange and white haired officer showed her to his friend.

“Do you know the General’s daughter is with us this year? Name’s Rainbow Dash. You can’t miss her, she’s basically Bow Hothoof but much sexier, and with boobs.”

Usually, Soarin only rolled his eyes, as he always refused to surrender to his best friend’s childish and chauvinistic games. But this time, curiosity got the best of him. It was their superior’s daughter, after all, the one and only man who ran the Academy but who also would probably become the Head of the Resistance Army once the General in Chief would have retire – which seemed to be rather soon.

It was impossible not to spot her among the other Cadets sitting at the first rank, with her rainbow hair dressed in the mandatory bun for female recruits, her very special way of wearing the kaki-colored uniform, looking at the platform where her father was talking. Her admiration for the man gave her something dignified and faithful which attracted the eye no matter what.

“Cute”, he couldn’t help but whispering.

“Isn’t she? I definitely give her an A! But she’s the General’s daughter… I think he’d break your neck if you touch her.”

Even for an ingrained romancer such as Fire Streak, the young woman seemed to be out of reach. Bow Hothoof was known for being a decent man, uncompromising but always fair but also a father who was really proud of his only child. During the training sessions of the officers under his orders, which Soarin was a part of, he often boasted about the way even his daughter, who wasn’t even an official soldier yet, could do way better than they did.

And when he looked at her, he was sure of one thing: it wasn’t just mere talk. Surely, if one of the boys tried anything inappropriate, she would be the one to break their necks!

It undoubtedly was impolite to stare at her the way he did, but Soarin couldn’t help it, as if his eyes were unable to look anywhere else.

Once again despite himself, his heart skipped a beat, when he saw the young woman’s magenta eyes going in his direction. she only started at him for a couple of seconds yet it was enough to create unexplained sensations inside his body.

Ever since, he knew he would never be able not to watch her secretly each time they would be together in the same room…

************************

He didn’t have to wait very long for that. On the next day, Cadets had to start their training sessions. The first test always was the same, every three months, no matter how many newcomers there were.

It was about loading an assault weapon quickly enough to be able to shoot on moving cardboard targets, that the superior officers activated with a system of ropes and pulleys, and go the other way, avoiding obstacles. Plastic bullets filled with paint were thrown on the Cadets in order to simulate firings from enemies and those who were the most colored were today’s bad pupils and didn’t start under the most favorable of auspices.

Most of the times, higher ranks, while in the middle of an assault course training, were allowed to watch this very first session, in order to choose who they would like to have as their assistants.

Each newcomer went by a group of ten, and Rainbow Dash was part of the first group.

As soon as he knew about it, Soarin stepped closer in order to watch the young woman in action, curious to see whether he was right about her or if, like many of his fellows thought, General Bow Hothoof’s speech were nothing but boasting.

The signal of the exercise beginning was heard, and the other Cadets still were busy loading their guns that, already, Rainbow Dash was on the run to attack the moving targets. The swiftness of her actions were enough to let anyone stunned, as well as her agility to move between the cardboard dummies and the bullets full of paint, all while shooting with a meticulous precision.

All the seniors around were glancing at each other, unable to believe it… Their General hadn’t lied. Her skills were not those of a Cadet. She even was better than some Caporals or Sergeants. And she was so small, the smallest girl of her trimester group.

In barely one minute, Rainbow Dash reached the other side of the virtual field, and pressed the red button showing she was done with this exercise. There only was one stain of paint on her camouflage outfit, and it represented nothing but a small brush at her right thigh.

Yet, when her father met her on the training field, Soarin thought he heard scraps of their conversation, where it was said she should not have been stained at all, but that overall it was “not so bad.”

Far from taking it personally, she seemed to agree with the top brass officer, and greeted him with the mandatory military salute, as if he were any type of hierarchical superior.

It was enough to make Soarin understand he absolutely had to be the one who would train with her. Not only because he thought her to be cuter and cuter each time, but especially because she was the best recruits he had ever seen since he arrived at the Academy and he knew that gathering their skills would give extraordinary results.

********************

When someone entered in this room, they were overwhelmed by the damp heat and soapy smell. The laundry room was the Cadets’ responsibilities. They were the ones cleaning and folding the other students’ sheets as well as the rest of their linen, which also meant they took care their superior’s and of the one used at the canteen.

On the other hand, bedrooms were the responsibility of everyone, individually taking care of the bunks and everything around. Girls were separated from boys, of course.

Soarin’s only way to meet Rainbow Dash was to come to the laundry room while she was the one on duty. Elsewhere, he would obviously be exposed to prying eyes and he absolutely wanted to meet her in intimate circumstances, in a place he would be sure no one would stare at them.

He found her, clad in a tank top and khaki pants, her mandatory bun messy because of steam, obviously tired of the task she had to accomplish. She kept on sighing while folding the white towels, and as soon as she saw him stepping into the room, she got stiff with the appropriate military salute, which made the young man smile.

“You don’t need to do that for me…”

“You have a higher rank, there’s no other way. If my father comes around and sees I’m not sticking to procedures, he’s going to drag me over the coals.”

“Instructors and Generals are in the middle of a meeting.”

“Really? I guess it’s alright, then.”

She immediately gave up on her strenuous posture, and went back to work after sweeping her forehead with the back of her hand.

Everybody hated working at the laundry room. The steam spat out by the big industrial machines was thick and sticky, and although it smelled good, its smell could sometimes make you feel dizzy. Besides, folding the linen asked for a constant attention because, if the instructor who checked out the final result was unsatisfied, he could give a punishment or even ask the Cadet in charge to start it all over again.

Him too had been through it and hated each part of the process. A bit daydreaming and absent-minded, he often left ugly pleats over the linen which broke the harmony of the whole. When he wasn’t forgetting about putting washing powder in the machines…

He was lucky to be very skilled for everything else, and had been able to climb the ladder quickly. To be honest, he possessed the undefeated record of ascension quickness that each new Cadet dreamed of breaking.

While still working, Rainbow Dash looked up, feeling uneasy to be stared at so closely during this task which, obviously, she wasn’t really good at.

“Are you here to survey how good I’m doing my work?”

“Me? Not at all! I was really bad at the laundry room. I’m here for another reason…”

She only nodded and Soarin understood that, since she wasn’t about to pick up on the conversation, he was going to be obliged to get into the matter without further ado.

Being straightforward and unfiltered was okay for Fire Streak. He wasn’t really feeling comfortable with girls, although he was aware of his attractive physical characteristics. They each were different, and each liked many various types of personalities, there was no recipe, despite what his best friend kept on telling him. In his own opinion, being able to address a topic was as delicate as explaining facts to a superior.

The best was to go slowly slide to the main subject by starting somewhere else.

“I’ve watched you a lot during training sessions… You’re good!”

“Yeah, I know. I’m the best.”

Coming from another girl, the way she liked to boast would have sounded unbearable but coming from her mouth, it all was said with such a nature he couldn’t help thinking it was part of her charms. There was something about her, about this extreme self-confidence she displayed proudly, which kept on attracting him to her.

The worse was that she was right. Out of all the new recruits, she truly was the best. And it was rather obvious that she would quickly get even better than most of them. She was born for this.

“Is that you who climbed the ladder the quickest, right? Prepare yourself to lose the title. I’m ambitious and I want to come up through the ranks fast.”

At least, it was clear.

Soarin cracked a smile and stepped closer. She was done with folding the towels and had now to start the most difficult task – folding the sheets. Usually, this demanded two persons, but here at the Military Academy, people weren’t Helpers and didn’t care about domesticity. It had to be done by the Cadet in charge, it was all, and it had to be perfect.

With an exchange of a few words, he now understood that there was no need to go sparingly with Cadet Rainbow Dash.

“You haven’t chosen a Senior officer to train with yet, have you?”

“Yes, I haven’t. Why?”

“Well, I think I’m not too bad in my kind and so I was thinking maybe we could train together.”

“Like, you and me?”

“I guess that’s the definition of ‘together’, yes…”

Maybe he was mistaking, but Soarin thought he saw her briefly blushing.

Ordinarily, Senior officers offering to train Cadets were of an inferior rank, most of the time Caporals or Sergeants. To be choose by a rank 5 Chief Warrant Officer was an honor, an honor which couldn’t be refused. It was boon for someone so ambitious, Soarin knew it and she probably knew it as well.

Yet, deep inside he hoped she wouldn’t accept for this mere reason but rather because she liked his personality, though they hadn’t talked that much, and talked to each other for the first time.

Suddenly, he saw Rainbow Dash displaying a panicked face and jumping back. This unexpected reaction from her made him jump as well… What was happening?

“There’s a spider in the sheets! An enormous spider!”

“What?! Where? Where?!” he screamed, as panicked as she was.

If it had been any other type of insect, Soarin wouldn’t have reacted and only killed it in the second. But it was a spider and though he was a tall manly boy, he hated spiders. It had to be said that they rarely were small and harmless in this part of Equestria.

And then, Rainbow Dash burst out laughing, which immediately embarrassed him. It took a few additional seconds before he understood he just had been pranked.

“If only you could see your face when I said the word “spider”! It was hilarious!”

Hilarious… Yes, it probably had been rather funny. Immediately relaxed, Soarin started to laugh as well, half because he still felt a bit embarrassed he had been such a coward in front of the pretty young recruit.

“You know what? I do want us to train together! At least, I know it won’t be boring with you.”

It was difficult for the young man to hide his triumphant smile. When he had stepped into the laundry room, he had a goal in mind and this goal had been reached. In the end, it had been much easier than he thought it would be. The most interesting detail was that his secret desires had also come true, thanks to his gullibility. Rainbow Dash hadn’t accepted his offer because of mere ambition, but also because she liked his personality.

“So… Are you going to help me folding these, or what? The thing is that I intend to go sleeping one of these days.”

Without a word, Soarin nodded and went to the other side of the table where the linen was put, in order to assist his new right arm.

Until the young woman would reach at least the rank of Specialist, they were going to spend many hours together, each day, leaves included. Which was going to help them to know each other better…

********************

The room was empty. Out of the official hours, supervised by instructors, the Academy students could also train on their own, or with their appointed Senior. That went without saying that idleness wasn’t really valued and that it was of the better taste to be busy all the time, if possible busy with a martial activity.

Since they were aware that they somehow where some kind of center of attention for the others, Rainbow Dash and Soarin always trained together when everyone else was busy doing anything else.

In a short amount of time, the young woman had been able to went from the lowest rank of Cadet to the one of Private First Class and was on her way of reaching the superior rank, and this all while those who had integrated the Academy at the same time than her were still entitled to clean the refectory after meals.

She owed this progression to her dedication during the simulations but also, she knew it, to what Soarin had taught her. Of course, being the braggart everybody knew, she wasn’t ready to admit it but these were the facts. Soarin taught him not to rush into action without further thinking and to envision every possible scenario before starting anything.

However, although they mutually respected each other, their relationship wasn’t anything like what they were supposed to be as Senior and Junior. Rainbow Dash always teased and pranked the young man, never saluted him as protocol demanded, and would speak to him as if speaking to any Cadet.

At first, his fellows made fun of him, mocking the way he let her be this way without scolding her or displaying discontentment. To be honest, he thought her attitude with him to be fun and he even liked it. Actually, it was because Fire Streak and the others noticed the situation fit him that they stopped laughing at him. And they understood those two really liked each other…

They were training to hand-to-hand combat. In the task entitled to the Militaries to be like the safety valve of people, the ultimate shield allowing things not to go completely awry, it seemed logical that weapons were a bit too much and some had to be handled in a different way. It also was useful if they were disarmed.

Conversely to what happened in the field, training sessions of hand-to-hand combats were very choreographed, since it was various type of moves to use according to circumstances.

The move they tried to execute entailed throwing the adversary on the floor without straining a muscle and being able to block them and to prevent them from moving again.

Putting an arm behind Soarin’s back, Rainbow Dash easily was able to find a spot to grab which allowed her to realize the first part of the exercise, which was throwing her opponent on the floor. She was small but she wasn’t some frail creature unable to defend herself when confronted to someone taller and bigger.

Which didn’t stop Soarin from being able to make her stumble as well, just because, proud of herself, she hadn’t been swift enough to stop him from moving again after her first action had been such a success.

In a few gestures, he was able to pin herself against the floor and to curtail her reactions.

“In the field, you don’t have time to play peacock so never relax in your efforts…”

Wise advice. Yet, the fact he said those words gave Rainbow Dash a small action window and she took advantage of it to do a leg-lock, and thus, reverse the roles again. This time, she was on top of him, his two arms blocked behind his back.

“In the field, you don’t have time to play peacock, so never relax in your efforts…”

Logically, he had to thank her and tell her the exercise was over. But Soarin remained speechless, more than stirred by the intimacy of their both positions. He just couldn’t do otherwise than feeling his cheeks heating up and his heart racing inside his chest.

They were alone here, and the night had started to fall. Soon, the temperatures would decrease as well… It was the moment of the day when everyone was taking a shower or getting ready for dinner. No one would come into this room before the first patrol of the night watch would begin.

Rainbow Dash could also feel the sudden tension between them, blooming from the moment she had decided it would be fun to trap him. Now she was the one who was trapped. She had only two choices – stopping everything or rushing headlong. And despite wise pieces of advice, she wasn’t the type to give up on something from cowardice.

After all, this was what they both wanted, this she knew since the very first minute of their very first training.

This was why she didn’t listen to reason and instead swooped down on the young man without further thinking, planting her lips against his lips.

Soarin immediately kissed her back and a few seconds later, they were rolling over the mats, their position switched once again but this time without any will of domination. Their both bodies were intertwined, legs wrapped over, hands in the hair or sliding against a back.

All the tension amassed during training sessions were finally released out and they only let their bodies speak. It felt good, not to think or to hold back anymore. To finally be connected with what they were feeling inside that they tried to shut down because protocol didn’t really enjoy love affairs.

Things no longer were completely the same from this day on. Though they still were unchanged. Everything simply had another taste, sweeter and spicier at the same time.

***********************

He had never stepped into this music room before. To be honest, before passing it by and hearing piano notes, Soarin didn’t even know there was a music room inside the Academy.

Yet, a brass band played at every event and balls organized by the Resistance Army in order to connect Militaries with the other Castes and remind them they were especially here for their protection, as well as being the link between them and the Community Power, led by the Elite.

Though it wasn’t the reason of his passage around here, titillated by curiosity, the young man pushed the room’s door so he could see who was playing this marvelous melody.

What a surprise it was when he realized it was no one else than the person he was looking for, Rainbow Dash. She was leaning over the instrument, focused on the keys, a deep peace of mind echoing on her face.

Slowly, as if he were scared to break an item made of crystal, Soarin walked into the room, almost on the tip of his toes. There really were instruments played by the brass band all around him as well as some others, more difficult to bring around. Most of the Militaries who could play music had someone in their family from the Entertainers Caste. Was it the same for Rainbow Dash? He didn’t know…

That was how he realized that, though they were dating since a few months already, there still were things about her that were a mystery. The blame probably was on a lack of intimacy which could have allowed them to talk about deeper things.

As soon as he reached the piano, Rainbow Dash stopped playing and looked up. He was a bit reassured by the fact she greeted him with a wide smile. He had been so scared to break her concentration, thus making her mad.

“It’s a very nice melody…”

“It’s a play for piano in la minor.”

“I didn’t know you could play piano.”

“My childhood’s Helper taught me the basics and then, I learned the rest on my own. Don’t you think that’s so relaxing?”

Soarin nodded and sat by her side.

He had not been looking for her everywhere in the Academy for no reason. He really wanted to spend some time alone with her, outside of training sessions or meals, and so learn things about her he still ignored but was more than eager to know about.

In his mind, it had always been clear: dating someone didn’t mean they only had to be together. He wanted them to share more than food and stolen kisses behind closed doors. He wanted to hold her hand, to talk with her until the break of dawn, to confess things she would be the only one to know, and that she would do the same.

He wanted them to be an ordinary couple, without the weight of Military protocol on their shoulders. A lot of top brass officers were married, after all, and had met at the Academy, why couldn’t they show their feelings to the world just because Rainbow Dash hadn’t reached a certain rank yet?

“I’m going to have a few days leave next week. I thought, maybe, you could ask your father to give yours at the same time. I’d like us to go out without any rules to follow.”

“It feels like a Military’s life is only made of rules… Don’t you think that’s a bit sad to always be serious? Life’s too short not to have a little fun!”

He had noticed many times: Rainbow Dash liked fun. Although she was among the best of the Academy, although she was of an unmatched discipline during training sessions in group, giving everything she had, without a care about exhaustion or difficulty. When protocol wasn’t expecting this harsh discipline from her, the young woman let her cheerful nature out.

Gladly sarcastic, she liked quips, laughing with her friends, balls where there were no procedures, pranking and tasty food. She was lively teenage girl, behind her bragging attitude and her reputation of inexhaustible machine – if they only knew that napping was her favorite hobby.

“What about breaking the rules? This is what they’re made for!”

She leaned over and put her lips against his. Soarin knew he had let the room’s door ajar, which meant they could get caught by anyone. Usually, he would have tempered her by telling her if they get caught, the consequences could be unpleasant.

However, this time he thought Rainbow Dash was right. What were all these rules made for, if they couldn’t be broken from time to time? Before he met her, he wouldn’t have had thought of such thoughts, but now he didn’t really care about this strenuous behavior which had been his for so long. Because, once again, his girlfriend was right. Life was too short. Especially for him, since as Militaries they were always confronted to danger.

So, he kissed her back, and the way he liked to do so much, slipped his fingers in the young woman’s hair. It lasted for barely a few seconds but it was enough for him to feel happy about the violation they had just made.

“And to say that you’re the General’s daughter…”

“This is why it’s so much fun!”

***************************

It was a Sunday afternoon and streets of Canterlot was full of strollers who were going to the market which took place each week on the wide square in front of the City Hall. Because they hadn’t gone there for a very long time, obviously Soarin and Rainbow Dash had decided to go there as well.

Walking hand in hand among the crowd without anything to point it felt different, warm yet refreshing. They had turned into couples among others… At least, it was their illusion.

They had no real intentions of buying anything and the outing’s purpose was more like strolling among the stalls while chatting. Of course, it was nothing extraordinary but they both liked simple things and weren’t fond of luxury.

Yet, back then, the Caste of Elite made fantasize a lot of teenagers. They all knew the name of their members and a lot of young girls dreamed about meeting one of the boys of their age and thus being able to reach the supreme status.

They weren’t like that. Both had been raised with the main goal of becoming the best soldier and to reach higher ranks, not because they wanted to get some privileges, like having Helpers, but rather because it would mean their efforts and hard work would be recognized among their community.

And now, they couldn’t envision their future without being together, and climbing the highest steps of the ladder at the same time. A bit like Rainbow Dash’s parents, who were the teenage girl’s role models.

A bit isolated from the market’s restlessness, a vendor of syrup-flavored crushed ice was settled. This treat, somewhere between an ice cream and a cold beverage, which was very popular among the youngest, came from the West Continent, and had invaded Equestria centuries ago, when they country’s name was different.

That was where Rainbow Dash and Soarin decided to stop after they walked for a few hours.

The afternoon sun was blazing. No one was out without a small fan, and even while using of this artefact, people were still ready to go to any length in order to get some fresh air.

“Two plum-flavored please…” Rainbow Dash ordered to the vendor, before she paid him.

The young couple sat on a bench nearby from where they were free to watch the boiling market.

“Have you already gone to the Ivory?” Soarin asked, still starting at the passersby.

“You mean… Equestria’s black market? Never. But we used to go to the National Dumper all the time with my cousin.”

“Really? What for?”

“Well, to find stuff! You have no idea of the treasures you can find there. We dismantle them, we learn how the circuits work and how we could improve them with spare parts we took elsewhere. Twilight’s Celestia’s pupil. She’s the best Master of Element of all Canterlot.”

“Does this mean not everyone of your family is Military?”

“My mother’s sister has married a Master of Elements and so she became one herself. And my father’s sister was my mother’s best friend. She married a Builder and she taught a lot of things to Mom, just like Twilight taught me everything she knew. And one of my best friend’s an Amazon. As you already know, my family’s Helper taught me to play piano. This is why I’m so awesome!”

Soarin was impressed. He had only known life as a Military, and this since he was a little child. Discipline, strategy, manipulation of various weapons and combat techniques were all he knew. Of course, he had been taught how to play chess, to understand the way of functioning of Angels, and to ride a horse. He liked to read as well, but ahead of this small horizon, what his universe was made of was a bit narrow.

In some kind of way, he envied her. Learning how to do so many different things certainly was very stimulating! Knowing persons from other Castes, talking with those who allowed the country to have a certain harmony, thanks to who these well-oiled mechanics worked…

Thankfully, he had Rainbow Dash. If he asked her, Soarin knew she wouldn’t refuse to teach him new things, to widen his window to the world. They still had so many things to give each other, so much to share and learn.

Maybe it was being a bit naïve, probably even, yet he felt as if their future could be nothing but blissful.

They were almost done with their ice cream when a man appeared in front of them, so suddenly that they both jumped at the same time.

His face, with a greyish complexion, was barely shaved, his clothes haphazardly tailored had holes all over them, he had tangled tow hair and he smelled a strong odor which reminded of litter.

“Would you have a bit for me, please?”

In front of them was stretched out his hand with too long black nails, and whose knuckles were injured. His dirty appearance could be scary but he didn’t seem to be aggressive. Only completely desperate.

“Here”, Rainbow Dash said, putting a grey coin in his palm.

“Thanks, Miss.”

The man got away. When observed with a bit of attention, it was easy to see he wasn’t walking normally… Maybe it was because of a badly treated polio, unless it was because of a fight.

It was the kind of encounter that were impossible inside of the sheltered Military Academy, even during balls or errands downtown. One of the ugliest sides of living in a huge Ghetto such as Canterlot.

“Do you think he was a Transient?”

“No,” Rainbow Dash affirmed. “I think he’s from Rock Farm.”

“Is that the Ghetto of the Outside Lands that had been wiped away by a level 6 sand storm?”

Rainbow Dash nodded. These really rare sand storms were the deadliest ever. One of them had touched this particular Ghetto called Rock Farm a few years before. There were so many dead bodies in the streets that it was impossible to bury all the corpses and thus the Ghetto had been completely set on fire.

Among the survivors, who had lost everything they had, a lot hadn’t been able to get integrated to life in the Inside Lands’ Ghettoes, which worked in very different ways, and were now wandering among the streets, panhandling or going through the trash, searching for a little something to eat.

A few months later, they were going to meet another one of these survivors, though it was in very different circumstances.

******************************

The Uncivilized War had started. All the available soldiers as well as volunteers among civilians had been requested to fight, all over Equestria. Their group was to be sent around Fillydelphia, where the huge amount of Angels put the population in great danger.

Gathered at the back of a vehicle in which they were going to go through the desert, they were about to leave when the last member of their expedition arrived. The fact her impressive curly pink hair hadn’t been shaved in the back made it easy to understand that she wasn’t a Military.

As if they were going to a summer camp, the newcomer introduced herself, while wearing the mandatory bonnet of her position.

“Hi, I’m Pinkie Pie, your team Healer! It’s great to meet you all. I’m sure we’re going to get along very well.”

Her civilian statute was obvious in the way she had not the slightest idea about protocol. Actually, she quickly got scolded by the Colonel who accompanied them – as General, Rainbow Dash’s father was already in the field.

“We’re not going to have some fun, young girl. You’d better watch your tongue.”

“Alright, Sir. Received loud and clear,” Pinkie Pie declared with a clumsy military salute.

Rainbow Dash immediately liked her light-hearted behavior. Finally, someone who wasn’t tough and who was trying to bring a bit of sunshine to their highly important mission. True, they were going to war and it was really serious, but it didn’t mean they couldn’t relax a little before they got killed. It could be their last moments of glibness, after all…

With her warmest smile, she stretched out her hand to the newcomer.

“I’m Rainbow Dash and this is Soarin. Nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you too, Rainbow Dash,” Pinkie Pie answered, taking her hand and shaking it vivaciously. “Let’s do a great job together!”

She sat next to the couple and lowered her voice.

“Thanks for such a warm welcome. It’s nicer than you know who,” she said discreetly pointing her finger at the Colonel.

From memory, this was the last moment when Rainbow Dash felt like laughing earnestly. The last moment of her existence the way she had always known.

Because, after this day, from the moment they arrived in the field of Fillydelphia, everything crumbled down. Of course, she kept going because she had her father, Soarin and Pinkie Pie, but the more she lost friends and fellows, even losing General Bow Hothoof, the more her heart got filled with a black smock which finally penetrated each part of her and annihilated everything else.

Of course, she thought hope was still possible on the day her mother told her she was expecting a child from Soarin, missing as well, but even this last petal had withered. From now on, all the rest had been buried…

Author's Note:

Sorry I haven't corrected the flaws (again) but I had problems (again)...

Also, it's more than likely that the publication is going to slow down back to twice a month because I'm a little late with the story :fluttershyouch: