• Published 7th Dec 2017
  • 205 Views, 4 Comments

Echoes of the Past - Razor Flake



Arazon is a grandmaster of melee combat. Her brother, Jason, is the youngest grand wizard in history. When Arazon takes on a new apprentice, one of Jason's experiments goes awry.

  • ...
 4
 205

Invasion

Ponyville

“I think this is the place.”

Arazon took stock of the town, subconsciously noting various places of interest, as well as easily defensible locations. This was likely to be her home for the next two years, and she wasn’t letting anything happen to it. Apple Jack has told the three about the library, and that that would be the best place to start. She knew the pony living there, and had told her in advance to expect guests the night before. As three three made their way into town, they noticed ponies shy away, probably noticing Arazon, and how she looked like she was about to storm a city alone. She noted to find a forge, or make one herself, to make some less intimidating armour, or maybe expand her knowledge on the equip magic Jason had tried to teach her a few years ago.

When they made it to the center of town, they found the library. Jason whistled, and commented on the complex spell he could see the intricate matrices of. Jack, no matter how mature he may be, was still a kid. He was amazed by the still living tree, and that it was apparently being used as the library they were told to look for.

Arazon opted to knock on the door, her metal gauntlets gently rapping on the wooden door. A purple unicorn answered, smiling widely. As she looked at Arazon, clad in heavy war armour, she looked confused for a second or two, before apparently realizing something.

So this is what AJ meant by ‘interesting folk’. I have so many questions!!!

She bid them in, and as soon as Jason walked in, his head snapped around and looked the unicorn directly in the eyes.

“You. What is your name?”

“Uhh, I’m Twilight Sparkle.”

“Well miss Sparkle, I am Jason Sigmus, grandwizard. I must say, your magical aura is almost a third as powerful as mine, the most I’ve ever seen.”

“Oh, uh… Thank you?”

Arazon snorted at the exchange.

“Don’t mind him Twilight. He maybe a genius, and the youngest grandwizard in known history, but as his sister, I must warn you. He’s pretty blunt. I’m Arazon, by the way, at your service. This is my apprentice, Jack. He just chose his weapon of choice today.”

Jack blushed a little at the compliment, his bastard sword still sheathed on his hip, his hand rested on the pommel.

“Anyways, down to business. Apple Jack said we could stay here until we find work?”

“Oh yes, that’s fine. Though you don’t have to pay rent, I insist.”

“Thank you. Now… Do you know where the nearest blacksmith is?”

“Hmm. That would be in Canterlot, the capital city on the mountain. Finest forges in Equestria, I’ve heard. The one you'll want is Hammer’s Forge. Here's a note so the guards will let you in.”

“Alright, then. Jason, see if you can land me at the city entrance.”

“No problem.”

The two walked outside for a moment, and after a flash of fiery light, Arazon and Jack were gone, and Jason walked back inside. Twilight gawked at the display of magic.

“Well, Twilight, I guess it's just you and me. And the dragon upstairs.”

“How do you know Spike is there?”

“I'm more than adept at magic, miss Sparkle. Not much gets past me.”

“Oh. Okay”

“I see the matrices that keep this tree alive. Do you know the caster?”

“No, I don't. You can see matrices? I thought that takes a lot of energy to do.”

“Well, at least you aren't bothering me about my war stories. That's nice for a change.”

“W-War?”

“Yes, my home is at war. My sister and I are debatably among the most dangerous and powerful people alive. As such, both of us has seen much combat, and taken many lives. An action neither of us take joy in.”

“Oh… That's… Awful.”

Jason simply nodded. Then, there was a shout from outside, following a blast of magic. From outside a voice screamed something.

“Changlings!”

“Duty calls, miss. See you soon.”

With that, Jason walked out of the door, and into the fray.

Assuming the aggressors were the strange, insect like quadrupeds, Jason set to work. Shielding all noncombatants, Jonathan immediately brought the fury of the earth on them, massive spikes erupting into the underbellies of changlings, but he wasn't done yet. Those who harm the innocent must suffer. He let a few changlings past, and the nearest one made a charge at him from behind, teeth bared. Jonathan whipped around when it was a about a foot away and crushed its head telekinetically. The others didn't relent. He picked and choosed his method of killing. Sometimes smashing two changlings together with telekinesis, sometimes making them spontaneously combust. Some he froze the blood of, and ripped the solid blood into shards, perforating their comrades. One changling actually got near him. He turned to his side, channeling pure gravitational forces into his hand, and punched the changling in the neck. Nothing remained but a green paste. One changling had captured a foal he had not seen, and was currently feeding off of it in some way. This enraged the powerful wizard, and he bent space itself to propel him into the changling, cracking its exoskeleton. He then made one of its own eyes freeze, and the explode, causing the vile creature great pain. Then, he formed a stone fist from the earth, and grabbed the changling, slowly crushing it. The foal, though a more than a bit scared, ended up hugging the mage’s leg. He smiled as he slaughtered more changlings. He made one implode into a ball of dense organic matter, and sent it hurtling through many changlings, changing its direction everytime it left one's body. Growing tired of such basic brutality, he gave in to pure sadism, and did some more interesting things. He started simply disintegrating the exoskeletons of the changlings, watching in morbid glee as they all screamed in agony, their bare flesh and innards exposed in ways they shouldn't be. Jason let out a maniacal cackle, full of righteous fury, as he mutilated changlings left and right.

After the battle, though it would be more accurate to call it a slaughter, the town center was bathed in green changling blood and viscera. Jason smirked as he vaporized any traces the creatures had ever been there. He returned to the library. The entire event had happened in under ten minutes. Strolling back in as if nothing had happened, he sat back down where he had been before.

“Where were we, miss Sparkle?”

Canterlot

As the to humans appeared in a burst of flame in front of the entrance, the posted guards were taken aback at the two. They raised their spears in surprise, and in an instant, Arazon drew her massive blade and was within two feet of the guards before they could do anything.

“Look, soldier to soldier, I don't want any trouble. We are here for Hammer’s Forge, and we have a letter from Twilight Sparkle for entry into the city.”

Arazon slung her blade back on her back, and handed the latter to one of the guards, who took it in his magic. Eyes reading over it, he nodded.

“Sorry ma’am. There's been a threat made against the capital, so everypony has been on edge lately. I'll let the captain know to open the shield for you.”

“Thank you, sir.”

She balled her right hand into a fist, and placed it against her breastplate. The guard, seemingly understanding the gesture, saluted in return.

Heh. At least soldiers never change.

As Arazon and Jack walked into the city, Arazon immediately got her bearings based on the castle, and quickly went in the direction of the blacksmith. Many ponies shied away once they realized how tall Arazon was. Most of the ponies stood at about 4’ 8”, so Arazon definitely towered over them. That combined with her sword, she definitely looked threatening.

Once the two were at the blacksmith, Arazon knocked on the door.

“Come in!”

A gruff stallion's voice sounded through the doors. As the two entered, Arazon immediately was put at ease by the sights, smells, and sounds of the place. She spent the little time she wasn't training and fighting in at a forge. It would be a lie to say she didn't feel nostalgic.

“That's some mighty fine armour you're wearing there, miss. May I ask who made it?”

“You're looking right at her.”

She said this with a smile as the fellow smith grinned.

“Well then, we've got to trade techniques sometime. Anyways, how can I help you?”

“Actually, I think I can get two birds with one stone here. My apprentice here, while good, is lacking in armour of his own. Since we have no money on hand how about a trade?”

“I'm listening.”

“If you let me use your forge and metal, I'll show you one of the ways I fold steel for bastard swords, like Jack’s here. Jack, your sword?”

Jack obliged, unsheathing the blade and presenting it to Arazon. Arazon took it and showed it to the smith.

“Hmm… Very nice work… It's a deal.”

“Thank you. What is your name?”

“I'm Hammer Strike, miss. What's yours?”

“Arazon Sigmus. Arazon is fine, though. Now, about that forge…”

The two smiths walked to the back of the shop, where there was a furnace, an anvil, barrels of water, various ingots and sheets of metal, as well as many different metalworking tools. Arazon smiled, and got to work, placing Meadowlark on a table. Hammer gawked at the massive Zweihander, and he walked over to inspect the beast.

The sword had the Zweihander’s characteristic parrying hooks about a foot from the guard, which itself stretched about eight inches on both sides. It also had the notable rings adjacent to the guard itself, as well as a long handle, with a pommel that looked like it could smash bone.

“Don't touch him.”

Arazon's voice surprised Hammer, and he looked a little sheepish, as he was thinking about hefting the sword.

“That's Meadowlark, my Zweihander. I've killed hundreds of people with him. He is a weapon of war.”

Hammer's eyes widened.

“What?”

“My home is at war. I am a fighter through and through. I protect those who cannot protect themselves.”

Hammer was silent, before there was a loud shattering sound.

“That was the shield!”

“Looks like I'll have some excitement after all.”

With that, Arazon dashed out the door, slinging her massive sword effortlessly.

“Jack. Protect this building with your life.”

Before he could respond, she left, heavily armoured feet cracking the stone beneath her. She headed for the castle.

Canterlot Castle

“Whoa, he took on all those changlings himself? Awesome!”

Rainbow Dash was positively engrossed in Twilight’s retelling of events from Ponyville, having just been sent to Canterlot herself for her brother’s wedding by Jason. As she was finishing her story, a loud shattering sound was heard, followed by Twilight’s brother collapsing.

“Shining!”

She galloped over to her fallen brother, who looked totally exhausted from keeping the shield up for so long. Then, his bride to be smiled wickedly. Then, she erupted into green flame, and in its wake was left a tall changling.

“I am Queen Chrysalis! And Canterlot falls today!”

Not a moment after she finished her statement, the door was kicked in by a steel grey and velvet red blur. It lunged straight for the various changlings that had grouped up in the room, and slammed three into a wall with a crack, from both the exoskeletons and the wall itself. Celestia, who had been reeling from the appearance of all the changlings, was taken by surprise by Chrysalis, and incapacitated by her. Twilight was horrified that her mentor had fallen so easily. How could this brave pony face the changling queen?

Arazon had smashed three changlings into the wall with a resounding crack, followed by kicking in the sides and necks of many more of them. Only on the last one did she draw her sword, cleaving the creature in have from the side.

Only was she stopped moving was Arazon recognized by Twilight, who was terrified. Apple Jack was there, along with four other ponies Arazon did not know. However, she knew they were friends of Twilight and Apple Jack, and thus under her protection.

“Howdy Arazon! Wish we coulda’ met under better circumstances, but it don’t matter now. I’ll cover the door. Twilight, I need you to help clear the streets, ya hear?”

Twilight simply nodded, and took the other with her, leaving Arazon and the queen.

“Who are you? No matter. You will die soon.”

“Not if I can help it.”

Arazon charged the queen, sword pointed forward. The queen smirked, and shot a blast of magic at Arazon, who slowed a little, and realesed one hand from the sword, the blade pointed downwards now. She raised her arm above her face, and braced herself. The queen kept the beam going for a bit, Arazon still forcing her way through. Finally, the queen relented, surprised and a little scared that this mere warrior had stood up to something that knocked out Celestia. Then Arazon charged again. Now, she was close enough, and made her move.

Before the changling queen could react, Arazon’s blade had already buried itself into her shoulder blade, and she screamed in pain. The noise roused Celestia, but Arazon did not notice or care. Arazon pulled back her blade, and went for an upward stroke, severing the limb entirely. The queen screamed again. Arazon kicked the now downed changling’s face, more than breaking her nose. She kicked again as she thrust her blade into where one of the queen's wings connected with her body, and sunk the sword in deep. After a third curbstomp, the queen’s face was a bloody mess, with one of her eyes totally ruptured. As Arazon was about to deliver a killing blow, the voice of Celestia boomed.

“Enough.”

Author's Note:

Hey again! Not too much to say, but I liked practicing my action scenes. Also, anyone who's curious as to what a Zweihander is.
https://hellfireforge.deviantart.com/art/German-Zweihander-191601049