• Published 7th Dec 2017
  • 626 Views, 10 Comments

A Twist in Evolution 2: Quit Horsing Around - Dark Nightshade



Submersive Exploration and her friends find new evolutionary pathways humans took in their search for the pale brown man.

  • ...
2
 10
 626

Questions and quests

"Okay, first question, how did centaurs evolve into centaurs?" Twilight asked. Ethereal Whisper shrugged.

"I'm not sure on the science behind it all," she started. "But there is a legend. A very interesting legend."

"Is this relevant to the plot-line?" Twilight asked. Ethereal Whisper nodded.

"Don't worry, of course it's relevant," she said. "Anyway, a long time ago, there was a nomad. He wandered everywhere without concern for what was rumored to be in the area, or what the ancient shamans predicted the weather to be like. This got him into trouble, for one night as he set up camp, a mighty wind storm set in. It was already snowing and cold, so the wind turned into it into a blizzard. The mans camp quickly came crashing down, and without restraints, it blew away. Without only an animal fur to keep him warm, he tried digging to get out of the wind. But that only made it worse. Finally, one of the goddesses took notice. The great goddess Demena. She saw his struggle, and pitted him. So she gathered her celestial energy and embedded it into the man. But it also got into his coat. It was made from the skin of a horse. The man started to mutate, and his legs took on the form of a horses. Demena hadn't meant to do this, so she, and the other gods, were surprised to see a half man, half horse wander the snowy tundra unaffected. The king of the gods, Eclipsim, asked her why she had done that to the man, and she replied with how she had accidentally blasted his coat with some of her celestial energy, and that had caused him to become what he was now." Flash raised his hand, his head still looking out the window, away from Ethereal Whisper.

"Yes?" Ethereal Whisper asked.

"Is this mans name remembered?" Flash asked. Ethereal Whisper shook her head, her silver hair bouncing around, despite him not being able to see.

"No, we can't remember that," Ethereal Whisper said. "No one can remember any of the others names, except for the gods, of course."

"There are others?" Twilight asked.

"Oh, yeah," Ethereal Whisper said. "Any other questions?" No one else had a question. "Good. So Eclipsim asked what Demena was planning to do with the man now. Demena decided to make three more creature just like the man. One male, and two females. She sent them to the man, along with an order: Breed with them, create a society away from the normal humans, and adapt the surroundings to them."

"That's a lot like what happened with merfolk," Broiling Striker said. "Our goddess Tanggong granted the first merman under very similar circumstances." Ethereal Whisper glanced at Broiling Striker's and Submersive Exploration's legs.

"Right, you two are mermaids," Ethereal Whisper said skeptically.

"We can change our tails into legs," Broiling Striker said. Ethereal Whisper perked up at that.

"Surprisingly, I can actually do something very similar to that," she said. But then her perkiness disappeared, and she became kinda shifty. "Not that it's very important, or anything."

"Really?" Twilight asked. "How convenient."

"I know, right?" Ethereal Whisper said. "So, anyway, Twilight, please continue with your questions."

"Do you really have two rib cages? Do you have multiple organs in the human and horse bodies? How do you sleep? How do sit?" Twilight asked. "What ni-"

"Whoa, slow down there," Ethereal Whisper said. "I'll forget anything after four questions."

"Okay, sorry," Twilight said.

"Anyway, yes, I have two rib cages. I have two hearts," Ethereal Whisper said. "Where they are isn't important. I also have two stomachs. As for sleeping, it's not like normal horses. I sleep on my side, or with my legs tucked under me. And I sit with my legs under me. What was your other question?"

"What set of nipples do your kids suckle from?" Twilight asked. Ethereal Whisper squeaked and her face erupted in a blush.

"Do I have to answer that?" she asked.

"You can answer that later, although I would like to know if one set of nipples isn't functional, or if both are functional" Twilight asked. "Also, what are your babies like?" Ethereal Whisper giggled.

"Ah, now they are funny," she said. "I'm not going to say what their like when they are born, but it's funny." Twilight stared at Ethereal Whisper.

"You don't trust us, do you?" Twilight asked. Ethereal Whisper shook her head apologetically.

"Sorry, but I was raised to be skeptical, especially around humans and people I don't know," she said. "I'm aware that we will need to trust each other in the future, but we still don't know each other very well. Now, I have some questions of my own."

"Please, ask away," Twilight asked. "Besides, I get the uneasy trust thing."

"Have you come looking for a pale brown skinned man?" Ethereal Whisper asked. Everyone gasped, and the atmosphere seemed to become colder, much like the air outside (and technically inside, but that's not important).

"Yes," Submersive Exploration said hesitantly. "How do you know of him?"

"He's the only other human that I've seen in the past few years," Ethereal Whisper said. "There's a reason why my tribe lives here, in Antarctica. It's because other most people don't want to live here. That's why most tribes live where they do." Twilight's face was clear with understanding.

"Oh, that explains a lot," she said.

"Yes, thank you!" Ethereal Whisper said. "Anyway, I still have some questions, specifically about him. Who is he? And why is he here? He's a little creepy wandering around in the snow."

"Well, we don't know who he is, but we know what his game is," Sunset Shimmer said. "He's trying to destroy the world. The last time he tried to take over the world he stole something called the-"

"Do we really need to tell her?" Submersive Exploration said.

"Yes," Sunset Shimmer said. "Come on, Ethereal Whisper is where we get our help from while we're here. And like she said, we're going to know we can trust each other."

"You don't have to tell me the name of whatever it is that you're talking about," Ethereal Whisper said. "I understand why you want to protect the information."

"Thank you," Submersive Exploration said. "But you're right, we do need to trust you, so I do need to tell you about this. We'll need to trust you, and to get it, you need to give it. It was a device called the Ultimate Manic." Ethereal Whisper hummed in recognition.

"That sounds familiar, for some reason," she said.

"Well, there should be a town of merfolk living in the ocean near here," Submersive Exploration said. "There were always rumors of a town that had contacted someone on land. Maybe our governments met and made some kind of treaty. My mom actually works pretty high in the government." Everyone stared at Broiling Striker for several seconds before Ethereal Whisper started talking.

"That would seem logical," Ethereal Whisper said. "One day, a group of our leaders came back with strange technology that they had just found. Do you know anything about this, Broiling Striker?"

"Well, I'm not technically supposed to talk about this, but you've pieced it all together, so I don't see why not now," Broiling Striker said. "Yes, our governments made contact, and came to an arrangement of sorts. We've been pooling our resources and intelligence's to make technologies that would make both our species lives easier, including a sort of plane phaser."

"A what?" Rarity asked.

"Well, we discovered that our universe has several planes, or layers, you could say," Broiling Striker said. "Our think tank managed to figure out how to aces these different planes."

"That is awesome," Sunset Shimmer said. "How about a interdimensional transporter?"

"We were close to discovering how to do that, but we had to stop due to the Ultimate Manic being used," Broiling Striker said.

"What else have your think tank come up with?" Ethereal Whisper asked.

"Well, one was close to making a device that could help fuse together members of our races," Broiling Striker said. "I never really heard much more about it, but supposedly, the two people would wear a sort of chest plate, and these chest plates would fuse together whoever was wearing them when the two people touched."

"That is so awesome," Sunset Shimmer said.

"You bet it is," Broiling Striker said. "Anyway, we're getting off track. What has the pale brown man done since he got here?"

"He's looking for something," Ethereal Whisper said. "He's tried to contact my tribe, saying that he's only looking for a place to stay for a day or two, but we rejected him. He's trying to find something, probably one of our weapons."

"What kind of weapons do you think he's looking for?" Sunset Shimmer asked.

"Could be anything in our stockpile, but all of them are pretty dangerous," Ethereal Whisper said. "But, if he's after the worst of them, the most dangerous of them all, which he probably is, then he's probably after the Celestial Nebula."

"What is that?" Rarity asked.

"It's a gas cloud that, if released, would take the world and returned it to its star dust state, before it was made, and long before life existed," Ethereal Whisper said. "Point is, if he releases it, the end of the world is upon us, and there is no stopping it." The fear in the room had thickened, everyone scared, clear by their expressions.

"But he might not be after that," Flash said worriedly.

"We don't know if he is or isn't, but if he is, then there is no stopping it," Ethereal Whisper said. She turned to the door and beckoned at it. "Either way, if we are to stop him, you must meet my tribe. They will let you in. Follow me."

Author's Note:

Yes, this chapter was a little quick, but I'm working on my writing skills, so the chapters following this one are going to be not as quick.