• Published 28th Nov 2017
  • 432 Views, 11 Comments

Uncharted Territory - Cosy Purity



Rainbow Dash has flown through her life with considerable ease, and it would seem she's explored all the skies of her existence. Yet when something new bubbles up from the surface, it seems there's a place in her heart she hasn't quite discovered yet

  • ...
 11
 432

Wild Winds

Soarin was totally the cause of this.
After spending the following couple of days fighting with the notion and angrily punching clouds, Rainbow Dash found she at least couldn't deny its possibility anymore.
She still refused the thought whenever it came, furious at herself for conjuring this mushy idea.
The only problem with this was that routine practice was being held today. She had promised Spitfire a complete change... and there was one, yes, but not in the least the one she had been hoping for.

Rainbow Dash, with uncharacteristic anxiety almost making her tremble, finished packing her things and strapped her trademark saddlebag that had been carefully adjusted by Rarity to properly suit flight around her waist. She heaved a long sigh and instinctively looked to her bedside for reassurance from her pet, only to recall that Tank was visiting with Fluttershy who promised to help look after the tortoise whenever Rainbow was away.
Well, at least he gets to have a good day, the mare thought gloomily, then shook herself and firmly noted that she would be doing the thing she loved most, and that was all that mattered, no matter who happened to be there. She shouldn't let anything get in the way of enjoying what she loved.
I'm gonna make the most of it, she decided, and then lifted her chin and began her journey to Wonderbolt Academy.


The flight seemed longer than normal, but Rainbow Dash breathed a small sigh of relief when she saw the training grounds in sight, glad that the suspense of the task was finally past her.
Now on to the hard part. Stuff was about to get real.
Curling her wings like a falcon, Rainbow Dash made full-speed towards the area beside the runway, always keeping note in the back of her mind the rule Spitfire had drilled into her head since her first day. A trail of rainbow signified her path, and a little grin spread across the mare's face, admiring herself as much as was possible, before expertly recalling her wings like a parachute and landing with an awesome thud onto her destination, clouds kicking up in her wake.
Best entrance ever, Rainbow thought to herself, closing her eyes and drinking in her total wickedness, before opening them again and heading towards the usual spot where every Wonderbolt would gather to listen in on Spitfire's instructions for the day.

Most of the Wonderbolts were already there, all except for Fire Streak, who usually arrived last every session anyways. He had a family of his own and little foals to care for, so there was understanding on that part. Rumor was going around that he'd resign early because of his new responsibilities.
Rainbow Dash sighed and returned her thoughts to the present, glancing over every member there, all facing Spitfire who was having a casual chat with some of them as usual before everyone had arrived and the day began. After all, what was the point in having a team you had no relationship with? It was like playing Hoofball with other players that had never interacted before, and knew nothing of each other's quirks or commonalities, which, when having knowledge of such things, really helped in playing off them during routine. It increased the chemistry of the team while keeping morale high, therefore helping performance.

After wondering to herself where exactly she'd gotten all this random knowledge, Rainbow Dash plodded beside Fleetfoot, making sure to keep her gaze away from the direction of everypony-knows-who, and made a fairly smug smile in greeting as she usually did. Fleetfoot laughed in response and nodded to her, and then they began small-talk which lasted until Fire Streak finally showed up, pulling off his aerial flare and making a big deal of himself, producing amiable laughter from the rest of the group.

"Well, it's about time," Spitfire quipped, smiling, and then turned her head to face everyone, lifting an eyebrow before starting off introductory announcements, "Good to see you all here today. We're gonna have a tough line-up since a show is coming up at Canterlot, so we're going to break away from our current routine. I got some new stuff I want you all to master, and it's gonna take a lot of effort. How are you feeling?"
"Great, ma'am!"
Every Flier responded confidently, awaiting orders with a unique eagerness. Spitfire continued,
"As usual, we're gonna be going by teams. Thunderlane and Fire Streak, wait for my instructions. I'll be talking to you first since you guys have the lead. Fleetfoot and Blaze, you'll be at the flank."
Spitfire's gaze turned to Rainbow Dash and said,
"Crash, you'll be pairing up with Soarin again today. I'm hoping this time will make up for the last incident. Don't let me down."
Rainbow Dash nodded determinedly, though she was doing everything in her power not to kick the ground in frustration. A little wince escaped her.
Spitfire finished,
"All the rest of you, see me in the Mess Hall. We'll discuss your part of the routine there. Alright team, make me proud!"
Everyone saluted her and began pairing up or heading off to receive command later. Rainbow Dash stood there, almost doing that weird calm-down-thingy she'd caught Twilight enacting before an imminent freak-out, but then reminded herself that she was too cool for that and that she could handle herself on her own by the sheer power of her awesomeness.
To her immense dismay it wasn't working all that well.


Rainbow Dash stood at the edge of the cloud that lead into the training area in the sky, her head ducked a little so that her mane covered part of her face. Out of the corner of her eye she watched Blaze who was standing a couple metres away, watching Fleetfoot carve a cloud into the shape of Blaze's face.
The sight would be amusing if Rainbow Dash weren't awaiting her impending doom.

"Hey, Crash,"
the long-awaited voice appeared, and immediately Rainbow Dash shoved the beating of her heart down into the very depths, hoping her coolness would pile over-top the disgusting feelies of the 5th dimension. She rubbed her face with a hoof for a couple moments, playing it off as a simple itch, before taking in a breath and turning to face the stallion who spelled her demise.
"Oh, 'sup, Soarin," she said, lifting her chin and shoving the feelies ever further, conscious of how likely it was that she might explode. At least outwardly she appeared as aloofly-awesome-with-full-knowledge-of-it as she normally did.
"You ready to tackle this routine? Hopefully there aren't any storm clouds involved this time," Soarin teased, sounding like a lame surferpony as always.
Rainbow Dash smirked.
"Yeah," she agreed, "though I could totally handle them. I was just giving 'em a what-for last time. They have no idea what's coming."
She nudged him with a wing and made a very mischievous face. She was doing great being her usual self; if only her insides weren't melting.
Spitfire saved her life by breaking into the conversation.

"Alright, Team 1! I want you to go off by the Fly-Pole way to the left. We need each team to have their space. Team 2, you go to the Fly-Pole by the right. Team 3, you keep where you are. Since the other two teams already have their instructions I'll stick by you and direct you as you go."
The two other teams took this as a sign to start and began their routine. Spitfire plodded by Soarin and Rainbow Dash.
"Alright, Soarin, you start with a double-helix twin maneuver. Crash, meet the helix inversely so that you two are flying around one another."
Feathers. That sounds like something in a fillyflic movie...

Breaking her out of her thoughts Soarin gave her a playful prod to the shoulder as good sportsmanship and shot into the air, following Spitfire's orders.
"Alright, Crash, now it's your turn."
The cyan mare nodded, spread out her wings, and erupted into the sky, curling around the blue trail Soarin left in his speed with her unique rainbow trail, and couldn't help but admire the harmony of the helix-shape that formed from it. As they flew around each other, Soarin grinned at her from above and then below, and suddenly the routine seemed to move very slowly as they got the hang of the move, nearly like a dance.
Think Smash Fortune. Think Smash Fortune.
They continued to weave in their makeshift helix till it became natural, and Spitfire called out,
"Impressive! Props, Rainbow Dash. Looks like you're doing a lot better today. Alright, time for the next one..."
Rainbow Dash nodded as she listened to Spitfire, but her heart and head were pounding and she lowered her head again to hide her face, which she felt was beginning to sprout with heat.
Just a little bit longer, and then I'm out of this, she thought, Then I can read Daring Do and hang out with my friends and ...
she sighed, realizing she couldn't convince herself, but she tried one last idea.
Just pretend it doesn't exist.

Author's Note:

Fun fact: I seriously contemplated calling this chapter "Dangit".


I realize this is going by a bit slowly and the chapters are a bit short; that's because I'm really kinda testing the waters with this story. Hopefully you enjoy it anyways. And yes, it's really cheesy... I hate that too... but it's part of the conflict.

Feedback would be cool :rainbowwild: