• Published 22nd Jul 2012
  • 839 Views, 1 Comments

Fire's Short Stories - ThatGirlOnFire

  • ...
 1
 839

Prompt 2: What Could've Been

The prompt: Applejack walks in on a romantic moment between Twilight and Rarity.

As Applejack walked towards Carousel Boutique, she rehearsed what she was going to say in her head. Rarity, I have something to say to y'all. I've been trying to tell you this for a while, and I told myself it was now or never, so here goes.
I like you. As in, I really like you. You're the most beautiful mare I've ever seen, and I want you to know that I love everything about you, even the way you fuss over everything being clean..
"No, that won't work.." she muttered.
Rarity, I have something to say to y'all. I've been trying to tell you this for a while, and I told myself it was now or never, so here goes.
I like you. As in, I really like you. You're the most beautiful mare I've ever seen, and I want you to know that I love everything about you.
"There," she said, pleased. "That's what Ah'm gonna say to her."
When she reached the door, she knocked carefully. There was no answer. She shook her head. "She's probably makin' another dress. Ah know how she gets caught up in her work."
She reached for the doorknob, then hesitated. What if something was happening Rarity didn't want anyone to see?
"Never mind. If she hides anythin' from me, we won't never work out anyways."
She turned the doorknob, then stood there, frozen still. Rarity and Twilight Sparkle were lying on the small velvet couch, kissing passionately. "Applejack!" Rarity gasped. Twilight began blushing. "We, um, didn't think anyone would see us if we put the 'closed' sign on the door..." she stammered. Well, you thought wrong! Applejack thought. She still couldn't move. Rarity and Twilight? Twilight Sparkle?
"You won't tell anyone about us, will you? I'll be simply ruined if word gets out I'm a..a fillyfooler..." Rarity begged.
Applejack shook her head wordlessly.
"Oh, thank you ever so much, darling. I know you can keep a promise.."
Rarity continued talking, but Applejack couldn't listen any longer. "Ah'd..better get back to the farm." she interrupted. "Ah need to..buck some apples."
Twilight could tell Applejack was lying, but she didn't mind, as long as she didn't tell.
Applejack hastily ran for the door, shoving it open and letting it slam shut behind her. She hurried into a gallop, refusing to stop.
She wouldn't let herself cry until she was home.