• Published 28th Nov 2017
  • 958 Views, 13 Comments

Celestia Sleeps In - Jenso



The Princess of the Sun oversleeps one morning, throwing Equestria into absolute chaos.

  • ...
1
 13
 958

Prologue

Big Macintosh sat on his haunches, his back leaning against the barn. Though his eyes were bleary and his blond tuft of hair slightly disheveled, Big Mac could not have been more ready to start the day. No coffee like his sister Applebloom (the extent of which was getting out of control). No morning stretch routine “for the joints an’ jangles” like his other sister, Applejack. Mac was ready. As soon as light trickled over the horizon, that was his cue.

Big Mac didn’t wear a watch – it would just get in the way of work anyways – but he did have a keen sense for when the sun would rise. He felt it in his bones. Any second now, his suspicions would be confirmed. He knew it better than the roosters.

As the burly pony sat and waited, a sense of dread began to wash over him. This just wasn’t right. Ain’t no work getting’ done with no sun. If Mac didn’t till the fields today, he’d have to wait until after the family reunion. The Apple Family couldn’t afford to wait that long.

The door next to him creaked open, and out stepped an eager Applejack.

“Hoowee, Mac! My stretch this morning was the most invigoratin’ one I’ve ever done!” She glanced down at Mac, who was still glued to the side of the barn. “What are you sittin’ there for? Up and at ‘em!”

Big Mac stared at her blankly. Then he twisted his head toward the nonexistent sun.

Applejack’s nose scrunched up in confusion. “Gee, the sun is awful late comin’ up today.”

Mac gulped. “Eeyup.”



Meanwhile, in the cobbled streets of Canterlot, a few ponies busied themselves, getting ready for an early shift at work, perhaps. Bakeries and coffee shops turned their lights on, as usual. Besides that, the city was oddly quiet. Streetlights still shone. The birds were not at their usual perches of castle walls and banner strings.

In one of the aforementioned coffee shops, Donut Joe treated his usual clientele. Nothing out of the ordinary about his early risers and regulars. Ms. Peachbottoms wanted a strawberry frosted and a coffee – two spoonfuls of sugar and no creamer. Big Kenny wanted half a dozen jelly-filled – to go, so he could munch on the job. He moved in rhythm, producing a harmony: the sounds of coffee meeting ceramic mug paired with good-natured banter with his favorite ponies.

It wasn’t long before Donut Joe settled back behind the counter, his satisfied and full customers out in the world of Canterlot. Now he’d get a breather before the 9-to-5ers came in on the way to work. Joe took the time to throw another batch in the oven.

An hour later, the baker pony sat behind a full glass counter of donuts and beside two full pots of coffee. He was now convinced that either half of Ponyville got trotting pneumonia, or something was seriously wrong. Sighing, Joe poured himself a cup from the pots next to him. Might as well get some use outta this stuff.





A regal Princess Luna stood on her balcony, ready to reach out to the stars and hold them in her hoof. She could feel them swirling through the night, on their way to parts unknown. In the middle of the painting sat a grand, slightly intimidating moon. Luna connected to this heavenly body the most. She could feel their bumps and ridges, see its grandeur like no other pony. She was the moon.

Which is why the Princess of the Night was concerned when she did not spot her sister appear on her own balcony, ready to raise the sun in kind. They usually performed their ritual like clockwork. Perhaps she had to brief her guards on something before starting the day. Maybe she woke up with a wing cramp again. But as time passed (not that you could tell from the sky), Luna could wait no longer. She hurriedly lowered the moon and dashed back inside. She hadn’t had to wake up Celestia in ages.

Little did she know that this time, it would not be easy.