• Published 1st Nov 2017
  • 878 Views, 11 Comments

Gilded Sunburst - MJP



Mismatched couple Gilda and Sunburst deal with love, life, friends, and everything in between

  • ...
5
 11
 878

Coffee with Guys (Chapter II)

“You waiting for someone?”

I turned around to see a man standing next to me, he had yellow skin, orange hair, the typical uniform worn by most of the Sugar Cube Corner staff and that overly chipper demeanor that always annoys me.

“Just a guy, Mr. Cake.” I seriously doubt that’s his real last name.

“Is he cute?”

“Does it matter?”

“No, not really, I just…”

“Look, Mr. Cake, you run this place, don’t you have things to do that don’t involve poking into my life.”

“Fair point,” he said, half-annoyed, before walking to the counter, mumbling to himself about me.

I sipped my dark-as-f*ck coffee, looking at the door waiting for Sunburst to show up.

I didn’t wait long.

“Mom, I’m 20 years old, you don’t need to control every aspect of my life.” Sunburst came in, flustered as usual, while talking on the phone to what was definitely his mother. “...Because Starlight Glimmer is completely insane...well, unlike her I’ve moved on...why are we even talking about her right now, I’ve told you a hundred times I’m over her…mom, if I find out you’re following me here, so help me…damn it, she hung up.” he put his phone in his jacket and turned towards me. “Sorry, you had to see that, Gilda.”

“It’s fine, I’ve had worse phone conversations.” I chuckled, trying not to dwell on my ridiculously tragic backstory.

Sonny promptly headed towards the counter, turning to me as he did so “Do you want me to get anything for you?”

“No, it’s fine. I don’t want you to turn into my piggy bank.”

“Hey, I’ve got money to spare. And something tells me you don’t get paid much at Melissa’s.”

I tapped my fingers on the table and blew some hair out of my face. “Fine, we can split one of those giant chocolate chip cookies.”

“That’s more like it.” he went to the counter and ordered his stuff, handing his credit card to that annoying barista. (I’m pretty sure her name is Baguette) as she filled a cup with some coffee drink I didn’t care for, topping it with whipped cream and drizzling some caramel over it before handing him his receipt. Sunburst headed back to my table.

“The big cookie is gonna take a few minutes,” Sunburst said, somewhat apologetically as he set his drink down

“Figures as much.” I took another sip of my coffee, deciding to change the subject. “Your mom sounds awesome by the way.”

Sonny blushed, very annoyed. “Oh shut up.”

“At least you still have parents, both of mine are dead.” I set my cup down.

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear about that.”

I dismissively waved my hand. “Don’t get so worked up, Sonny. My dad died seven years ago, and my mom was never there when she was alive.”

There was silence for a moment before Sonny spoke again. “Do...do you miss them?”

My voice changed to a slightly higher, more sincere tone, completely different from my normal gruff, masculine voice. “Of course I do. I just...don’t really like to dwell on my tragedy. Besides, I got you, Sonny.” I booped his nose, to which he playfully rolled his eyes.

“Aw, I’m flattered.” his demeanor changed from playful to serious. “Hold on a second, did your voice...”

“Yeah, it’s an odd quirk, of mine.” My voice changed back to its normal tone. “The same thing happens to my sister when she gets mad.”

Sonny curiously sipped his drink. “You have a sister?”

“Yeah, Lola, she’s my identical twin, and like pretty much all twins, we’re nothing alike. She’s fine enough...in small does.”

I sipped my coffee again as baguette, a short woman with tan skin, white hair and the worst voice you can possibly give anyone, called out to us. “Oh, Sunburst, you’re giant cookie’s done!”

“Thanks, Beignet.”

Ok, it was Beignet, not Baguette.

Sunburst got up from our table for a moment to get the cookie from her. He then set it on our table and opened it up, the steaming cookie cut into squares.

I took a slice and bit into it, gushing at the gooey sweet. “God, I need this.” God, I’m such a dweeb sometimes.

Sunburst laughed and grabbed a piece of the cookie for himself. “I told you.”

I stuck out my tongue at him as I went back to my coffee. “Anyway, Lola’s nice enough, surely a lot better than the rest of my family, Grandpa Gruff’s dead, my A-ma is….F*cking old, My mom’s family is pretentious and my dad’s is moronic.” I looked back at Sonny, looking invested as he sipped his coffee drink. “Sorry, just wanted to get that off my chest, did I give too much information?”

“Hey, don’t be so hard on yourself, Gilds. We know each other well enough, it’s no big deal.”

“If you say so.” I grabbed another piece of cookie. “Wait, did you just call me ‘Gilds’?”

Sonny looked nervous (again). “D-do you have a problem with that?”

“Nah, it’s fine. Cute even.” I looked in his (beautiful) blue eyes and gave him a stern look. “Though don’t tell anyone I said that.”

“Got it!” Sonny gave an awkward thumbs-up. “So, how do I put this...do you have any interests or hobbies?”

“Not many, I’m preoccupied, as you may have noticed.” I took another cookie piece. “But, I’ve got interests, I’m a bit of a punk rock nut, shocking I know.” I sipped my coffee again. “I’m also like to work on cars and that type of thing.”

I also may or may not have a thing for baking, but that’s more of a family thing. I thought to myself. Not like I want people to find out about my lamer hobbies on the first date. Wait, is this a date? “...things a science nerd would have no interest in.”

“Haha, you misjudge me, Gilds. I work in R&D, remember? I’ve worked with a few machines myself.”

“Yeah, but you guys build death rays and battery powered robots. I just replace a few parts when something makes a weird noise. Not exactly the kind of thing that would impress...what’s the name of the company you work for again.”

“The Hive though with the new management that’s probably subject to change.”

I grabbed a few more pieces of cookie.“Yeah, that’s It. Terrible name, by the way.”

Not the only one. Anyway, yeah, you’re probably right about that, but still, we’ve worked with machines, that’s something at least.”

“Fair point.” I popped another piece of cookie on my mouth. “What’s your life like?”

“I mostly live on my own, though with my mother you’d think I was still living with her. She’s kind of...as you’d put it...a domineering ‘little b*tch’.”

“Harsh words, Sonny.”

“Well, you heard me talking to her on the phone. If she saw me hanging out with a girl with bleached hair, tattoos and issues no offense. She’d literally have a heart attack. It’s a freaking miracle I’m even hanging out with you at all.”

“Well, what about your father?”

He took another sip of his own drink and shook it. “My dad’s another story, let’s just say he has issues talking to the hue-man. One of those all-brains, no-heart types, like Reed Richards on crack. I remember one time he sent my mom a card for valentines that literally said ‘My adrenal glands rise in activity whenever thoughts of you enter my frontal lobes every 14th of February’.”

I snorted at him “You're making that up.”

“I wish I was, but I’m not.”

“Really? Wow, I guess both of our families are filled with crazy people.”

“It’s not just my family. There’s also my quote-on-quote friend, Starlight Glimmer. You know that old adage ‘friends can be different and still be friends’.”

‘Yeah, my sister used to drill that into my head.”

“Well, that lunatic threw that out the window the day my parents sent me to Meadowbrook Academy. Now she’s literally all emo and all about Marxism and anti-identity stuff, I don’t know, she stopped making sense a long time ago.”

“Yeah, I think I’ve seen her around Canterlot once or twice, and you were friends with her?”

“Not sure how that happened either. I’m just waiting for the day she grows a conscience and a personality so we can all move on with our lives.” he paused as I took the rest of the cookie. “Sorry, went off a tangent.”

“Hey, it’s cool.” I smiled as I looked into the dork’s cute blue-green eyes. “Sometimes you need to let this stuff out. Like me telling you're handsome.” I snapped up out of my trance. “Oh f*ck what was I saying?”

“You were telling me I’m handsome...for what I think is the second time,” Sonny said, matter-of-factly.

“Yeah, that’s it,” I groaned. “Don’t let anyone know I said that either. I’m a little self-conscious like that, don’t tell anyone that, too.”

“Kapish.” Sunburst smiled, before we both noticed we were touching each other’s hands.

“Ok, this is awkward.” I sipped the last of my coffee and threw the cup in the garbage. “We have each other’s number’s right.” He started to give an answer before I unintentionally stopped him. “Of course we do, good. Let’s meet some other time, somewhere more private, where people can’t see me hold your hand?”

“S-sure.”

“Good, you don’t mind if I have the rest.” Sonny nodded yes before I grabbed the last few cookie pieces and stuffed them in the box. “Good, I need to talk to someone right now.”

I awkwardly ran out of the cafe with the box and braced myself against a wall, pulling out my phone and dialing Rainbow Dash’s number.

“Hey, G how’s it going with Sonny.”

“Yeah, about that, Dash….I think I may need to talk to someone with a little more relationship experience, I’ll explain later.”

Author's Note:

More chapters on the way I promise:moustache:

Anyway that's my 2 cents, likes and comments are appreciated, MJP out.