• ...
13
 32
 1,836

4 Hard Work

The next day Brian asked to see the course the guards trained on. Some obstacles were similar to home but after looking at it he wasn’t impressed. Rings and balance poles were being used to ‘train’ the guards; and he felt they were lacking in discipline. It was no wonder Celestia has to use Twilight and company to solve her problem because the guards seemed to be there for aesthetic purposes.

“Permission to use the obstacle course, sir,” Brian asked Commander Hawk

“You want to try? Permission granted,” Commander Hawk replied

“Could you help me with this,” Brian asked holding a length of cloth

“What in Celestia’s name is that for,” Hawk demanded

“A challenge. I wanted to tie my wings down so I’m not tempted to use them,” Brian answered

“Very well. I’ll help you,” Hawk decided, giving in

Having his wings wrapped would seem to be a hindrance to others but Brian really didn’t notice it as he ran. The hoops were first and Brian grabbed the first ring and dove through the remaining four.
On the balance poles, Brian was used to training on those at home that he was doing hand springs across. He was so light going over the poles that not one of the dozen flexed under his weight which caused many of the trainees to drop their jaws in shock. As he approached the rope swing, Brian tried to just swing through and use very little momentum to get through to the other side. Waiting for him was the ten foot wire crawl, which although similar to home, this was just plain metal wire suspended on a wooden frame which he passed with ease. The final obstacle, the ten foot wall climb was easy as he ran towards the wall and managed to plant a foot near the halfway point and used his momentum to propel over the wall and to the finish.

“New record! You clocked in at 1:45, beating Captain Shining Armor’s record by fifteen seconds,” Command Hawk explained

“Too easy. The obstacle courses I’ve run at home were harder. Princess Celestia, if you allow me, I wish to make an entirely new and tougher course for the recruits to train on,” Brian commented

“Agreed. Who are you going to have helping out with construction,” Celestia asked

“I’m going to have Discord help me as he can summon any number of clones to assist.”

“After it is complete I have one request, allow my sister and I to be the first to run the course,” she decided

“That’s fine if the two of you wish to run it first,” he answered

The next day after sleeping in a guest room, Brian walked to the field and summoned Discord.

“Discord, can you help me a little?”

“What can I do for you,” Discord asked

“Two things. One; could you place the field in an alternate reality so we aren’t disturbed and two; would you mind helping me out? I figured your clones would make construction easier,” Brian answered

“Of course. The Chaos Construction Crew is ready when you are,” he said snapping his fingers

“Chaos Construction? Well; I'm glad I have the right man for the job.”

“Just remember; when your construction is confusing; Chaos will make it easier,” Discord finished

“That's good. I wasn't expecting that,” Brian said laughing

“Thank you. I do aim to please,” Discord replied, making a very exaggerated bow

The two began working on the obstacle course. Discord summoned piles of wood that they would use as needed. The first obstacle constructed was a set of metal parallel bars. Two dozen tires were summoned with half being used to follow the parallel bars. Brian kept the walls but added a small five foot wall and modified the ten foot wall with ropes in order to aid climbing. He also liked the wire crawl but changed the length to fifty feet and replaced the wire with actual barbed wire.

“Oh, that looks painful,” Discord commented, seeing the barbed wire

“As long as no one's stupid enough to hit it,” Brian answered

“Next on our list,” Discord asked

“The fifty foot cargo net and the log sets next.”

With that, the two of them set up the next obstacles with Discord settings the poles in the ground and Brian directing. The log sets that followed were easier with three logs set for balance while a log piles was set as the next challenge.

“Let’s take a break. We have all the time in the world,” Discord said pulling a picnic basket out of nowhere

“We’re a third of the way done,” Brian answered

“I never would have thought a course could be this hard. Are they all like this?”

“The Navy SEALs are one of the best and I want to put these guys through hell. Besides the original was a cakewalk. They’re lucky I don’t put them through the entire program,” Brian explained

“Old Sunbutt wouldn't like you torturing her guards. Do you want to finish faster?” Discord said with a grin

“Faster, what to you mean,” Brian asked

“This,” Discord replied, opening a portal

From where they left off, Discord copied the remaining obstacles with little effort. At Brian’s suggestion; a bubble was placed around the track to remove any possibility of using magic or flight to make things easier. After they finished , Brian invited the princesses and Shining Armor to participate in the course before the guards.

“Alright, listen up. This course is based on the United States Navy SEALs and will be the hardest course you have ever attempted. There will be no magic or flight to complete this course. In fact, you will be running this on your back legs to make this even more of a challenge.”

“From the start you will propel yourself over the parallel bars before running through the tires. Next are the walls five foot and ten foot, respectively. The first is an easy jump while the other requires you to use the rope to get over. Next, you might recognize this obstacle with a change. This is barbed wire attached and it will cut you if you get close, so keep down."

“The fifty foot cargo net climb and the balance beams are next. The log piles you see scattered around the course will have you running over them shouting ‘Equestria’ as you go over them. The transfer rope requires you to climb up one rope before using the ring to transition to the other rope. The next is called the ‘dirty name’ for a reason. You jump from the shorter to the higher log and run the second set of ‘Equestria’ logs.”

“Continuing on, you come to the weaver, you will crawl the length of the ladder going over and under the bars alternating on each. Next up is the Burma bridge. Climb up one rope and walking the middle rope before climbing down followed by the final ‘Equestria’ log climb.
The tower you see before you is the ‘slide for life’. Climb up the tower and crawl down the rope to the bottom. Hit the rope swing to the balance log before the monkey bars. Simply put one hoof in front of the other to get across before landing on the other balance logs. Continue through the tires and jump the incline over the back. The spider wall is easy. Use the hand and foot rails to cross to the other side before jumping the final vaults and running back to the start."

"This is the entire course and it is timed. You must complete this in under twelve minutes or else,” Brian finished

“Or what,” one of the guards asked

“You begin pushing the deck 150 times along with 100 sit-ups,” Brian responded

“Pushups and sit-ups? That’s not much of a punishment,” the guard said sarcastically

“I could put through the entire training. See how you do after running miles, lifting logs and being in the water,” Brian countered

“No thanks,” the guard said shutting up

“Any other questions,” Brian asked

“What’s SEAL stand for,” Shining Armor asked

“Sea, Air and Land. They can swim into an area, or be air dropped from planes,” Brian replied

“You did say that my sister and I would be first,” Celestia reminded

“Of course. When you’re ready go ahead. Shining, you want to go next?”

“Definitely. Time me for your benchmark,” Shining replied proudly

After the three had their fun and Shining set his benchmark at under five minutes; the rest of the guards went one by one.

“Damn, that was worse than the original,” one of the guards complained

“Agreed. I’ll never make fun of earth ponies and their strength,” another added, collapsing after he finished

“Commander Hawk, I turn over command and training of the guards to you. Think you can do it,” Brian commented

“Of course I can,” Hawk replied proudly “I didn't serve twenty four years in the Canterlot military for nothing.”

“Brian, before you leave I’d like to ask how you know so much about this,” Celestia asked

“My father was a Navy Captain and SEAL instructor. He put me through this as well as marksmanship with pistols and rifles,” Brian explained

“Well, my sister and I are proud to promote you to Captain in the Equestrian military,” Celestia said tapping a hoof over Brian’s shoulders

"Thank you very much; Princess Celestia, Princess Luna,” he said with a bow

Heading to the castle where he had a room waiting for him, Brian was told to head to the library after lunch where he found Twilight waiting for him.

“Do you know anything about magic, Brian?”

“Jack shit,” he answered bluntly

“Well, I’m going to teach you something that Rainbow Dash doesn’t know,” she answered

“Oh? Sorry about the rudeness but I know nothing and I’m surprised Dash hasn’t learned this,” Brian mused

“I tried teaching her but she was too impatient. As you know there are three different tribes of ponies with their own type of magic.”

“Earth ponies control the ground and the like, and have better strength than others. Unicorns have magic and Pegasi control weather and can walk on clouds,” he simplified

“Correct; but let me expand on that answer. Unicorns have active magic, meaning they can cast spells at will but most unicorns can't do much unless their special talent is magic. For example, if one unicorn had a fire based cutie mark then they would be good at fire type magic while a unicorn with say a needle and thread cutie mark wouldn't have much skill with magic. Pegasi do have control over weather but have a special version of levitation they can use,” Twilight explained “And as for earth ponies; everything you said is true.”

“I knew unicorns could use levitation but didn’t think pegasi could do that.”

“Like I said, there is a special type of levitation. By creating a small gust of wind under the object it is possible to lift it. I was asked by the princesses to teach this to you,” she finished

The two of them left the castle library and headed outside to the courtyard to train.

“We’re going to start with something small first. Try lifting this feather,” Twilight said setting it on the ground

“Any tips to start with,” he asked

“Try extending your magic out,” she suggested

Brian closed his eyes and extended a wing out towards the feather. Without having experience of witnessing anything floating; the first attempt was a bust.

“Try again,” she suggested

“This is hard.”

“Magic isn't something that is easy,” she countered “Besides; this hasn't been seen in centuries.”

“Alright; I'll try again. This time; I'm going to try things my way.”

For the second attempt; he imagined a hand being created and managed to summon a small twister to lift the feather and direct it towards Twilight.

“You did it! This is something that was been forgotten for ages by pegasi. You are learning ancient magic,” she said excitedly “Why don't you try again to see if you can repeat the feat?”

“I want to challenge myself this time. Could you set six feathers on the ground, please?”

During the advanced feather test; one tornado was summoned; and split into multiple smaller versions. To Twilight’s surprise; the tornadoes actually split apart and reformed constantly; letting the feathers ‘dance’ in midair.

“That is so impressive,” she said hugging him “I've never seen such control.”

“Perhaps now; I can try something heavier. Do you happen to have book I can use?”

“Are you sure? Moving to books from feathers is quite a leap,” she commented

“I'm sure. If I can levitate a book; maybe I can move on to even harder challenges.”

“Just don’t push yourself too hard,” she cautioned “This doesn't have to be learned all at once.”

“I know; but I'm challenging myself more than anything.”

“If you believe you can do it,” she commented, releasing a sigh

She withdrew a book from her saddlebags and set it on the ground. Instead of closing his eyes, he raised a hoof towards the book to direct the twister and was again successful.

“Congrats. You are learning at an advanced rate. Not to disappoint you; but you would have to keep practicing to determine the limits of your ability,” Twilight said hugging him

“There’s one thing I want to try now if you don’t mind. Lifting a feather and book aren’t bad but I want to try lifting a pony,” he decided “And you're the only one here beside me.”

“Me? Are you sure? You should really practice with other objects before lifting a pony,” she said flustered

With full concentration, Brian managed to summon multiple twisters and lifted Twilight over fifteen feet in the air before momentarily stopping the momentum. Just as gravity would take her down; a second tornado lowered her instead.

“Amazing! You really have learned something that has been lost for ages,” she said floating back down

“I think I’m going to show Dash what I’ve learned and she missed out on,” he said adding “Thank you for teaching me.”

Brian walked to the throne room and decided to show off what he learned. He opened the door and created multiple small twisters and used those to propel himself through the room to the princesses.

“Congratulations on your accomplishment. You have managed to learn something that has been lost to time for quite a while,” Celestia said

“You are the first pegasi to learn something that really was a lost art. Unicorns have always had their magic and earth ponies have better strength than the others but pegasi now only know how to use clouds for weather,” Luna explained

“It’s a shame something like that has died out over the centuries,” Brian mused

“It is and it isn’t at the same time. The same pegasi that may have helped their friends using gusts of wind to lift objects were the same ones that used lightning to attack others and tornadoes to destroy,” Celestia replied sadly

“They why teach me this,” he questioned, cocking an eyebrow

“You aren’t the kind of pony to use it for nefarious means. Showing Rainbow Dash is different than using it harm others,” Celestia said

“How’d you know I,” he started

“Twilight attempted to teach it to her only for Dash’s impatience got the best of her.”

“Well, I do plan on showing her,” he said leaving “I'm surprised you aren't second guessing whether or not I actually would harm someone.”

“When I looked into your dreams; I saw no ill will to anypony,” Luna countered

“Fair enough. I had to ask; although I don't care to harm others unless necessary.”

Brian and Twilight boarded the train back to Ponyville and as usual he fell asleep on the way. Once they pulled in to the station, the other five and Spike were waiting for them.

“Darling, your interview made the newspaper,” Rarity said handing it to him

“Let’s see, ‘The mysterious black and blue pegasus Brian Dragnov was reported to have been sent here from another world populated by humans by Discord after the untimely deaths of his parents. The scars that adorn his arms and chest are not from battles as many have assumed but a lightning strike’,” he said, reading aloud “Well, at least nothing was mentioned about that.”

“Have fun with the guards? I’d love to try the obstacle course you built,” Rainbow Dash commented

“I did have fun training the guards and I want to show you something you missed out on,” Brian answered

“What could I miss out on?”

Brian closed his eyes and summoned a twister and used it to lift himself upwards and float back down.

“That’s awesome! You used the wind,” Dash said excitedly

“I was planning on teaching you but you were too impatient to learn,” Twilight argued

“Let’s head back to town before we draw a bigger crowd,” Applejack suggested looking around, seeing a group forming

Unbeknownst to them, a messenger was taking a copy to the newspaper and passing it along to others until it left Ponyville and entered the Badlands.

♢ The Badlands ♢

“Thank you Gearog, that will be all.”

“Of course ma’am, but are you sure you want to do that?”

“I do. Let’s see: ‘sent from another world’, ‘parents deaths’, ‘human?’ I want to meet this Brian Dragnov for myself, even if it means returning there. I just hope Tirek doesn't destroy the entire town before I arrive.”

The mysterious female headed further into the area and summoned another visitor via projection.

“Master; have you heard?”

“What do you think, my young apprentice,” the projection asked

“He will make a worthy test subject.”

“Very well. Let me know how it goes,” came the reply

“Of course Master.”

● EQUESTRIA ●

Figuring that he had stayed with Twilight long enough and was taught how to use weather to his advantage, Brian decided to write Celestia a letter asking for permission to build a house of his own.

“Princess Celestia said yes,” Spike read

“Can I see the letter she sent back,” Brian asked

“What do you need it for,” Twilight asked

“Schematic for my house,” he answered

Brian drew a simple plan with four bedrooms and two bathrooms and decided to build it on the outskirts of Ponyville where he found plenty of room to work.

“Discord, can you help me,” Brian asked

“Of course. You’re finally growing up,” Discord said wiping a fake tear from his eye

“Yeah, yeah. Let's just get started.”

“Alright; if you insist,” Discord commented

The two drew out the boundary and Discord summoned the materials they would need including wood, screws and concrete. Once they had the posts set up and the concrete poured, they quit so it could harden.

“You’re done already,” Twilight asked shocked

“The house isn’t built. I just poured concrete for the base.”

“What’s concrete,” Spike asked

“Something that allows the house to be built with a sturdy base,” Brian answered

“Why would you need something like that,” Twilight asked

“I wanted my house to be distinct.”

Once the concrete dried, he started getting the frame of the house built and managed to have the base completed. After hearing he was building a house, many of the residents started helping out; including Octavia.

“It looks like we're going to have a good old fashioned barn raising,” Applejack commented

“Darling; this isn't a barn,” Rarity pointed out

“Y'all know what I mean,” AJ replied

“Uh; what are we doing,” someone asked

“The same thing as usual. If you can get the walls raised up; I'll have them nailed to the support posts on the sides.”

Brian had to instruct someone on how to construct the house and with their help managed to have the house finished within a few days. After the exterior was finished with windows and the door; the interior was next with simple rooms with beds placed in two of the rooms. A few ponies who were experienced with plumbing installed the sinks and bathroom fixtures.

“Well, now that your house is finished I’ll be staying here,” Octavia decided

“Vinyl won’t mind,” he asked

“Of course not. She suggested I help my coltfriend,” she replied

“Thank you everyone for the assistance in completing my new house,” Brian said addressing those there

“So this is your house. It’s a lot different than the rest of the town. And what are those things on the roof,” Applejack asked

“I wanted to build this like I would back at home. The foundation is concrete to make the rest of the house sturdy. And those are solar panels attached to the roof,” he said

“What would you need those for,” Rarity asked "They don't look fashionable."

“Instead of using electricity in the house, I can use solar power. It’ll charge during the day so it can be used at night.”

After everyone left and it got late, Brian and Octavia decided to head to bed as they had plans for the next day.

“I have a surprise for you,” she said vaguely

“Oh? What is it?”

“I won't tell you exactly; but we'll be going for a train ride,” she answered

With that; she led him to the train station; before buying two round-trip tickets. A few hours later; they reached the destination of Manehattan.

“Welcome to Manehattan,” she introduced “My family spent time here when I was a filly.”

“Not a bad place to be. Although I never went there; my counterpart is just as busy.”

“I wouldn't be surprised. Stay close and I'll guide you around the town.”

As she led; he was looking around trying to get used to the sights. A variable multitude of ponies were running around the town as long lines of carriages passed by. He had to hold back a laugh as this really reminded of home.

“Hey, a music shop. Mind if we take a look,” he asked

“Sure,” she said

As they walked in, he was suddenly reminded of the music shops at home with the amount of instruments and different sections for woodwind, brass and strings. Brian walked to the string section and saw a beautiful black cello that his eyes immediately fell upon. Picking up the matching bow, he drew it across the strings and played a little rift that caused the owners of the shop to take notice.

“Judging by your cutie mark you’re a musician. How long have you played,” the owner asked

“I’ve played for twelve years total. I've played guitar for three years now,” Brian said

“That cello is normally 250 bits but I’ll set it to you for 175,” the shop owner said

“Here you go sir,” Octavia said withdrawing the money from her saddlebags

Brian opened his mouth to protest but she quickly silenced him with a kiss. Remembering a phrase from home something about a gift horse, he kept mum about it. Once the purchase was finalized; he stuck the cello and bow in a case and strapped it on his back. Although he was a pegasus, he wasn’t used to flying so he kept on the ground.

“Let's get a quick bite to eat at the train station,” she suggested “It'll be about an hour before we catch the next train.”

“Sounds good. I'll pay this time.”

Once they enjoyed the meal of dandelion sandwiches and fries; the train arrived to end the day's journey. With all the excitement; both found themselves falling asleep on the other's shoulder.

“Thank you for buying this for me,” he said, after they got home

“You’re very welcome. I thought it would be a nice surprise for you. Could you play something for me? Nothing you’ve played before but something spur of the moment,” Octavia asked

As he drew the bow across the strings, Brian closed his eyes and let the music guide him as he played. A mix was incorporated included bits of waltzes and other pieces he played so long ago.

“Beautiful. Not having anything in mind is the best method of composing music. Perhaps later we might make some music of our own,” she said with a wink

The next morning; the two of them; along with Vinyl, Spike and the mane-six were invited to Canterlot castle. Octavia and Brian decided to announce themselves as a couple; despite many of their friends already knowing the good news.

“I knew you’d find someone, Tavi,” Vinyl said messing up Octavia’s mane

“And I hoped to find someone. Who would have known it would be in a different world,” Brian added

“It could be considered destiny, you were brought here, Brian. You do make a nice couple,” Celestia said

“I will try not to peek into areas of your dreams you don’t want me to,” Luna said

“Thanks. Somethings should remain private.”

“Anything you'd care to share with me,” Octavia asked curiously

I…um,” he started hesitantly, before quietly muttering “Shit.”

“Well,” Dash asked “We're waiting.”

“Imayhavesleptwithyouasahuman,” he said rather quickly

“What was that,” Vinyl questioned

“Even I didn't catch that,” Pinkie chimed in

Taking a breath to steady himself, Brian said “When I was human; I kind of slept with Octavia.”

“How did you do that,” Octavia inquired

“It was a plush of you. I have a collection consisting of Luna, Twilight, Dash, Vinyl and Octavia.”

“That’s,” Twilight started, looking for the words “Disturbingly interesting. How many other human have plushies of us?”

“I can't answer that. As to the total number; I wouldn't be able to speculate.”

“Well; at least my coltfriend doesn't have to resort to sleeping with a plush,” Octavia said, kissing Brian “You have the real thing.”

“Keep it clean,” AJ begged “There are children present.”

“I'm not a child,” Spike argued “I'm eighteen.”

“I don't think you're a full grown dragon; either,” Twilight argued

“Dragons mature differently. I just need a few years to become a teenage dragon,” Spike added