• Published 28th Oct 2017
  • 864 Views, 6 Comments

Jonathan Apple - GamingWolf



A man gets a second chance at life... as a pony. How will things work out?

  • ...
3
 6
 864

Chapter 1

Why do people think only cowards commit suicide? Do they not know the strength to pull a trigger, kick a chair, swallow pills, or drown? Do they not understand the struggle to fight your own body and its will to survive? I can't do heights and I don't want to feel any pain. Any more pain.

I truly regret all that I have done and the shame I brought to my family. I leave all that I have to my mother along with the money to cover my death and cremation.

You are right, sis, this world doesn't need anymore "sick bastards" like me.

Click.

Bang!


"Mmmmm. Pancakes."

A colt pushes the white quilt cover off him and throws his hooves over the bed. His mix-match of hooves touch the warm wooden floor boards and he inhales the intoxicating scent of pancakes. With his mind leading his body, he sluggishly pads across his room to the blue door and opens it. Hunger drives him forward and his nose leads the way. Warmth washes over him along with the intensity of pancakes, eggs, and maple syrup as he enters the kitchen.

"Pancakes…" the colt drolls.

Metal clattering to the ground makes his eyes shoot open. He finds himself in a kitchen with a light, yellow off looking horse staring at him with violet eyes.

"What the—" the colt squeaks. "Why does my voice sound so high pi-i-i-!" Careful examination of himself reveals him to be a horse, as well, albeit a smaller one than the one gawking at him.

"Jonathan?" the horse speaks, sounding like a female.

The pinto colt turns his head behind him and sees they entrance way empty. He returns to look at the yellow horse and steps back when he finds her right in front of him.

"Uh... h-hi?" the colt's voice falters.

The yellow horse suddenly lurches forward to pull him into a warm embrace. "Jonathan! You're finally awake! Sweet Celestia! It's been so long!" the female begins to sob.

"Wh-what?"

The yellow horse lowers herself to his eye level. Her hoof pets his light brown mane tenderly. "You… you were in an accident. I thought I lost you!" she kisses his forehead and holds him closely.

I should be dead! This can't be happening! Unless this is Hell?!

"Oh, Jonathan! My little sugarcube!" the female coos.

Just then his stomach twists in hunger.

"Of course!" the female gets to her hooves and beams down at the colt, "You must be starving!"

Well, food would help me think better and probably get rid of the pain growing between my eyes…

He spies a circular wooden table to the right and makes his way to one of the empty two chairs. With somewhat of a challenge, he finally manages to situate himself at the table when the female—presumably his mother—sets a plate before him high with pancakes.

Without so much as a beat of a heart, the colt bites into the tower of pancakes. His mouth instantly explodes with flavor. A moan escapes him and he swallows the food in his mouth. He take a second, then a third and fourth bite.

"This must be Heaven!" the colt praises with a mouthful of pancake.

The mare laughs. She wipes his cheeks with a napkin and says, "They aren't going anywhere. Slow down."

The colt swallows hard to gulp down the pancakes. "Yes ma'am…"

She gets up from the table with his empty plate and brings back a second stack of pancakes and a plate of scramble eggs on her back. The colt dives face first into the eggs and inhales them before devouring the second stack of pancakes.

The mare laughs again.

After finishing his plates of food, the colt notices the mare staring at him with sad eyes.

Guilt starts to sink in.

"I'm sorry," he colt begins, "I-I'm—"

"There's nothing to apologize about," the mare smiles.

"No. I'm not your son," he states.

The mare blinks at him for a moment then bursts into laughter, "Of course you aren't! Your my brother!"

"What? I don't know anything about this place. I don't know who you are. I don't know how I got here!"

The mare sobers up quickly. "Your parents died in an accident a few years back. The same one that put you in a coma."

"My parents?" the colt cocks his head at her.

"I was adopted by Olympic Mac and Dawn Dew about ten years ago when I was three when my parents Johnny Apple and Goldenrod went missing. Three years later you came along," the mare explains.

"What's your name?"

"Jonagold," she grins. "I guess I'm also technically your cousin since my father was your father's younger brother."

"Okay…" he replies uncertain.

"I'm just happy you're awake," she smiles.

"I'm trying to tell you I'm not Jonathan. I'm not from this world."

The mare goes quiet.

"I was a…" he shakes his head. No. Can't talk about it. I might sound crazy.

The colt clears his throat, "I must be suffering from memory loss…"

"I'd say. If you're claiming to be from another world. The doctors said it would be a miracle if you ever woke up. I'm just glad I'm not alone anymore," Jonagold says.

"Yeah…" he sighs, I know how that feels.

A long moment of silence passes. The colt taps his forehooves on the wooden table idly.

"So… what happens now?"

"I don't know," Jonagold admits with a smile.

"So… I'm Jonathan..."

"Eeyup! Jonathan Apple. We're part of the great Apple Clan. Why, we founded this here town of Ponyville!" Jonagold elates.

"So… we're rich?"

"We want for naught. We're also hard workers. Naturally, being an earth pony an' all."

Jonathan furrows his brow in thought. "Does that mean there are other types of… ponies?"

"Yeah. There are pegasi and unicorns. Princess Celestia is the only known alicorn."

"Neato," Jonathan replies dryly.

"Oh!" Jonagold beams, "You woke up in time to be enrolled in school!"

Jonathan stares at the light yellow mare across from him. He rests his head and the table pretending to sleep.

Jonagold chuckles. "It's not that bad. You'll be able to meet some of your friends!"

"Yay…" is Jonathan's meek reply.

Jonagold leaps from her spot, picks up Jonathan, spins him around, and sets him on the ground in one swift motion. "C'mon. I'll show you around town and we can buy you school supplies."

"Okay," Jonathan replies after regaining his balance. As she begins to walk away the markings on her thigh catch his attention. "Why do you have three green apples on your thigh?"

"That's my cutie mark," she answers matter-of-factly. "You'll get yours when you discover what your talent is. Considering you're an Apple, it'll probably be apple related."

"Fantastic," Jonathan snarks.

After Jonagold returns from getting her saddlebags, they make their way outside and Jonathan can not help to stop and gaze at all the trees. As they walk to the front gate they pass a chicken coop, a goat pen, and a large red barn.

"This is our home: Apple Orchard Homestead. We share this property with our aunt, uncle, and their three daughters. Right now, they're out tending to the trees. I'll introduce you to them when we get back," Jonagold explains.

"Okay," Jonathan shrugs.

"When the Pears left, we took over their land and with a lot of negotiation, got rid of half the pear trees to replace with apple trees. We share part of the land with Sweet Apple Acres, our cousins a little to the east. We also produce corn, carrots, lettuce, cabbage, hay, watermelons, strawberries, and blueberries."

"Sounds like a lot of work."

"Eeyup. Nothing more rewarding than hard work. Good thing we have such a large family to help out," Jonagold laughs.

The light yellow young mare and pinto colt make their way down a dirt road. Jonathan must admit that outside is beautiful and the air is the cleanest air to ever fill his lungs. His thoughts take a grim turn when he comments to himself about not having to worry about disappointing his parents since they are dead over here.

Fifteen minutes later they reach the top of a hill. From the top, Jonathan sees the a bustling town with thatch roof houses and multicolored buildings. In the middle stood the tip of a red building, far off to the east a lone tower dots a hill, to the northwest lays woods of sorts. Far to the north stands a solitary towering mountain.

"Wow," Jonathan awes.

"Yeah," Jonagold smiles, "Always takes my breath away." She nudges the colt and continues walking toward the town.

"Our best bet for school supplies would be Mr. Rich's store. His family and ours helped found this town," Jonagold informs.

Jonathan follows along silently, his attention mostly on the buildings they approach. He notices many of the buildings have signs but not words. He can not shake the feeling of eyes all over him. His ears swivel to the whispering all around. He ignores them and keeps his eyes forward.

"Jonathan!" a young male voice shouts.

He turns to see a red blur before staring up at the blue sky. His lungs scream for oxygen as he feels the air leave his body.

"Jonathan! You're awake!"

"Can't! Breathe!" Jonathan manages to squeak.

The young male laughs. "Sorry about that."

Jonathan finds himself back on all fours and staring into the big dark green eyes of a red pony.

Jonagold laughs. "Well, hi there, Big Mac!"

"Good morning, Jonagold," the large colt returns the greeting. "When did you wake up? Ah, none of that matters!"

Jonathan blinks at the large red colt wearing a yoke. Big Mac's smile wavers.

"He has memory loss," Jonagold informs the red colt. "He doesn't even remember me."

"Oh…" Big Mac mumbles. Jonathan can see the disappointment in his face as his ears fold down.

Jonathan places a white hoof on the red colt's shoulder and offers a small grin, "Maybe you can help me out?"

"Of course, cuz!" Big Mac beams. "That's what family's for!"

"We're shopping for school supplies, Big Mac. You watching over the stall?" Jonagold asks.

"Eeyup!" Big Mac blinks. "Right! It was nice seeing you again!" He calls back as he gallops away.

"He seems nice," Jonathan comments.

"He is," Jonagold affirms, "if a bit wordy at times. C'mon."

Jonathan sighs inwardly. Is this really going to be my life from now on?