• Published 19th Jul 2012
  • 683 Views, 1 Comments

The rise - lubu343



escape leads to salvation and a chance to rebuild

  • ...
 1
 683

chapter 2: attack

Two months have passed since the smith last spoke to us. Clearing the forest at the base of the mountain took far to much time as we only had four ax’s with us and two of them were so rusted that they weren’t even good enough for scrap. The people have kept a stiff upper lip about the whole ordeal however I fear once the wall is constructed and the food situation is sorted out that the old factions will return. I do not jest for just last week Tension and Marcia both got into a terrible fight over what kind of wood we are using. If i did not know any better those two had that fight just to annoy me and give them some entertainment. the “town” is coming along well enough, the wall covers most of the front of the town and we do have the church built. the houses would have been torn down and the workers lashed back home but here they will have to do. The fields are producing food... just not enough for everyone unfortunately. The food that we do have is odd, edible and not fatal just odd. I am worried about what we may find in the forest since the two guard towers haven’t seen anything due to the fact that the thick forest makes those two towers useless. The people follow my orders though I hear the worried whispers and see the suspicious looks they shoot at me when they think I can not see them.

Luke Hammer-son entry number fifteen

Luke set down his quill and laid his diary down on the table, making sure that the seal was set and secure Luke took the Hammer from its resting place and with one final glance at his home closed the door and bolted it. The sun was high in the sky as Luke walked briskly down the dirt road. Luke held back a growl as the men moved out of his way and the women herded the children away. “ They act like I have the bloody crows on me.” Luke thought as a young girl no older than twelve held her siblings back all the while giving him a look of fear. The look pierced his heart and Luke forced himself to look away and continued walking. Walking down the road Luke silently marveled at how fast the others had rebuilt what they could in the last two months, though once the food situation was taken care of and more resources were found Luke knew that these wooden “houses” would be replaced with sturdy stone battle-hovels and large multi-family garracks. The sounds of laughter shook Luke from his musings and drew him to the plaza. The Plaza was located in the middle of the town and all roads lead away from it, the fields to the south, the wall to the west, the housing area to the north and the council to the east. The plaza itself was a large circle with a large fountain in the middle, on top of the fountain was a large anvil with a large double headed hammer standing upright. Children were scattered around the plaza playing with happy couples keeping watch on them. The truly strange thing about the plaza was that it appeared several days after everyone began to settle the land and clear out the forest, of course Selecia had declared that this was a sign from the smith and asked for a few days of prayer and celebration. This was naturally opposed by Luke and Tension who reminded her that right now they had to get started building houses and getting food. Selecia had stubbornly held her ground on the issue until Luke had pointed out that in their current state, any celebration and prayer would be far to underwhelming to properly convey their thanks to the smith. Selecia backed down but vowed that when everything was taken care of then the celebrations would begin and so help her she would tie them both up to a post and force alcohol and food down their throats. Chuckling softy Luke’s foul mood lifted as he turned and started walking at a brisk pace towards the fields.

Tension was a man who could be summed up in in one word: practical. The fact that he was a sixth generation farmer who was currently in charge of feeding the entire group brought out the best the man had in him. Such as Practicality, clever thinking, clear headedness and a insane amount of concentration on the task at hand. Unfortunately it also brought out the worst aspect of his personality: stubbornness. This annoying trait was being demonstrated for Luke in the most superb way as he continued in vain to convince Tension that he could not expand the fields as they did not have enough men to properly patrol and guard the farmers. Tension snorted and said in a gruff voice his one good eye never leaving Luke’s own “ Then pull some from the expeditions or better yet away from that witches laboratory, would be a better use for them anyway!” Luke griped the bridge of his nose so hard that looking back on it he would wonder why he didn’t break anything. “ look Tension the expeditions back into the tunnels are to find anything useful that we don’t have or can’t make ourselves currently... and Marcia is not a witch.” Tension did not look convinced but decided not to pursue the matter of the “witch”. Tension turned and spat a wad of saliva and tobacco before turning to face the fields and without turning said “ Luke I know that the people look to you for guidance but unless you can find some teraforming or a survivor who has a affinity with the mother well run out of food by the months end.” Luke cringed at Tensions bluntness even though he suspected that this was the case, somehow having the truth shoved in his face didn’t make hurt any less. Luke sighed and knowing he would regret it later said “ Fine I’ll see if I can convince Marcia to let me pull some guards and I’ll see if the expeditions can be put on hold for a little while.” Tension turned and swiftly snatched Luke up in a bone crunching bear hug. Luke never would underestimate Tensions upper body strength for the rest of his life. Tension released Luke who started patting himself for any broken bones. Tension began to laugh his signature “ Gra ha ha gra ha ha!”. Luke just smiled and began to wonder if Marcia would be angry if she lost some of her guards as she never really asked for them in the first place. Luke assigned them to her as she was the only Technosear they had and thus the only one who could build and repair the more fragile and complicated infrastructure that they would need. “ Wolves are attack- gah!” turning quickly both Luke and Tension could see Robert fending off three wolves with another seven forming a outer half ring behind the combatants. “ To arms men.” Tension roared as he charged towards Robert fully intending to rip everything not human in half with his bare hands.

Luke charged and swung his hammer at one of the wolves shattering the torso of the beast and sent the rest of it flying. Tension had another wolf by the head and with a mighty roar tore the wolf down the middle. Robert was swinging his ax around trying desperately to decapitate his opponent. The wolf was dancing around the swings and leaped. Robert screamed as the wolf sunk its teeth into his right shoulder. Out of desperation Robert thrust his fingers into the wolfs eyes,yellow ichor bursting from the wound. The wolf released its hold and fell to the ground, yellow ichor forming a puddle around it. Robert stood and retrieving his ax, began to chop and hack away at the wolf. Luke rushed to Robert’s side and with a mighty swing with his hammer smashed the head of the wolf. Looking up Luke noticed that the pack of what was seven hungry, pissed off wolfs grew into a pack of twenty hungry, pissed of wolfs. Growling the pack began to circle the three men and it was only then did Luke notice that these wolfs weren’t like others he had faced. They were made out of wood and before he could make anymore brilliant deductions a wolf leaped at him mouth open and ready to feast on his face. jumping back Luke swung hard and connected sending pieces of shattered wood, yellow ichor and a copse flying. Backing up Luke noticed that Tensions fists were covered in teeth and scratch marks while Robert was trying to wipe the ichor out of his eyes swinging his ax every few seconds to discourage any attacks. A wolf leapt at Luke jaws wide when a pitchfork slammed into it’s side followed by several arrows. “Guys hold on were coming Duck!” the three men hit the dirt as pitchforks and arrows flew overhead. A cacophony of barks and yelps followed as the pack retreated back towards the woods. Luke stood and looked at the pack as it retreated deeper into the woods howling as they ran. Luke turned to Tension and said “ Take care of Robert and keep a eye on the forest.” Tension nodded and asked “ what are you going to do?”. Luke turned and began walking shouting back “ When you’re done with that meet me at the council.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unknown to the group on the ground a armored pegasus turned and with a running start began flying towards Canterlot from his perch on a cloud. Duel shuffler knew that the princesses were concerned about the two legs sudden appearance but with the “altercation” between the two legs and the timber wolfs, they would be very concerned. Duel shook his head and with a sigh began the long flight towards Canterlot.

End of chapter 2