• Published 7th Sep 2017
  • 855 Views, 6 Comments

My Little Pony: Lights and Shadows - Part III - OmegaTale



Twilight Sparkle and her friends must save Equestria from the storm of shadows on the horizon, one that will certainly bring about the end of the world if its not stopped.

  • ...
0
 6
 855

Chapter 16

Ponies, griffons, changelings, dragons, and nymphs… there hadn’t been a single, known gathering of the five races since the Great Cataclysm over 9,000 years ago. There were well over 10,000 total in the army combined, separated into four separate forces. The griffons, changelings, and dragons all made up their own force, while the ponies, crystal ponies, and nymphs made up the fourth.

Watching them all march in relative harmony was a sight to behold; only a few months ago, the griffons and dragons were primed for war, while the nymphs were believed to be extinct. The crystal ponies had no quarrel in this fight, and yet they were the ones that lost their home. Now they all stood together in the face of annihilation.

Cadence stood upon the wall of Canterlot, the royal guards marching out from the gates beneath her. She held Flurry Heart with one arm, keeping her beloved daughter close to her as she watched them leave the capitol. The royal guards had been met by a massive crowd of ponies lining the streets, wishing them well and tossing flowers onto the road before them. The sight was powerful enough to silence a storm, especially under the daunting, red veil of the star overhead.

Flurry looked up at her mother, cooing as she reached for her and hugged at her neck. Cadence peered down at her and managed a smile, it took every ounce of her willpower to keep from tearing up, and the little foal could sense it. She tilted her head in confusion, and so Cadence kissed her forehead.

“Mommy has to go away for just a little while, Flurry,” Cadence said softly, just barely avoiding a break in her voice. “Sunburst is gonna look after you until I come back, okay?”

Flurry smiled briefly at the mention of Sunburst’s name, but her smile faded away fast and she lifted her hooves up onto her mother’s face gently. Cadence couldn’t stop the tear from falling down her cheek as she took in a sharp breath.

“I’ll be back before you know it,” She quickly recovered, not wanting her little angel to worry. “Okay?”

Twilight stepped out from the gatehouse and paused when she saw her sister-in-law and her niece. She didn’t even need to have heard what Cadence said, she could see it in the very image of them upon the wall, the princess holding her dear daughter close. After waiting for a moment, she stepped up beside Cadence, who only then noticed her.

“Oh,” Cadence said, sniffling only a little. “Twilight, I’m sorry, I didn’t see you there.”

Twilight looked down at Flurry and dawned an adorable smile as she leaned down to eye-level with her. “There’s my favorite niece,” She said in an upbeat voice, nuzzling the little Alicorn, who was made happier by it. “Getting bigger and bigger every time I see you, so don’t you worry, we’ll be back super soon.”

Flurry smiled and hugged Twilight’s face, who laughed lightly and nuzzled her again before standing back upright. Cadence smiled at Twilight, but it too didn’t last. “Is everyone else ready?”

Twilight nodded. “You better get her home, we’ll be leaving soon.”

Cadence nodded in return, looking down at Flurry. “Let’s get you back to Sunburst now, okay?”

“Would you like me to escort you?” Sombra asked, seemingly appearing out of nowhere from behind them.

Although she was a little surprised by the unicorn lord’s sudden arrival, she shook her head. “I would rather carry her back alone, if that’s alright, Sombra.”

Sombra nodded. “Of course, I understand.” He then looked down at Flurry, his expression keeping from changing in the slightest. “She truly is a beautiful little girl.”

Now that was the bigger surprise for Cadence, even though she did a good job not to show it. She paused, but then looked down at her daughter. “Alright, say bye-bye to your auntie Twilight.”

Flurry looked up at Twilight and smiled, but then looked over at Sombra, reaching for him. The unicorn lord lifted an eyebrow, eyes glancing up at Cadence for silent permission to approach. Cadence hesitated, but then nodded.

Sombra took a step closer, leaning down to eye-level of the little foal. Flurry reached up and placed her hooves on his muzzle, which he had no idea how to react to. “…Som-bra.” She said slowly.

Twilight and Cadence both went wide-eyed and stared at one another. Sombra, on the other hoof, felt his normally tense expression soften. Looking into the eyes of the little Alicorn, he blinked a few times, seemingly lost in the sound of hearing her say his name. She hugged his face just like she had with Twilight, and his ears went flat to his head, slowly closing his eyes. After a long moment, he opened them and Flurry pulled back from the hug, her hooves still held gently against his face.

Sombra slowly stood back up straight, his eyes locked on the little foal. Cadence finally overcame her shock and smiled softly. She looked to Twilight and nodded before turning and taking flight towards the castle. Sombra turned and watched as they flew away, afterwards looking down a bit, as if processing what just happened.

Twilight watched the dark unicorn with a slight amazement. “Your name was her first word, Sombra.”

He turned to her, blinking a few times until his expression slowly returned to its original state and he looked out upon the army of guards, now all out in formation from the gates. “Tis an honor.”

Twilight joined him in looking out at everypony in the force. “You weren’t always a tyrant king, were you?”

Sombra shook his head. “No. Before my rise to power, I was the prince of the Crystal Empire. I’m not surprised Celestia or Luna never told you.”

“I never asked.” Twilight replied, glancing over at him. “Everypony just thought you were always…”

“Evil?” He offered.

A mean pony, was more the term.” Twilight half-lied to spare the unicorn’s feelings, now that she knew he had them.

Sombra lifted his chin a bit, acquiring a more noble-looking posture. “I suppose telling you now is only fair, being as this could very well be the end.” He spoke clearly, showing little emotion in it. “In my earlier years, I grew up on the tales of Celestia’s beauty. I had not yet met her until I was already a young stallion, by which time I fell… rather pathetically in love with her.”

Twilight tried her best to hide it, but her face showed just how shocked she was to hear that. “You… loved her?”

The unicorn lord nodded. “It was during that visit to the Castle of the Two Sisters that I was able to walk with her alone. Being a student of magic, I had much to ask, but I found myself only wanting know more and more about her than anything else. Soon after I was able to visit her again, and many more times after…” He paused, taking in a deep breath. “It took a year, perhaps a little more, for me to gather enough courage to try and court her. I could not tell you how overwhelmed with joy I became when she openly admitted that she reciprocated my feelings.”

“She…” Twilight said, tilting her head in near disbelief. “She did…? But she never told-”

“No, I would not doubt it.” He managed with a light chuckle. “I believed for the longest time that she betrayed my heart to another, only recently did I discover it was I who was the fool… and she who remained loyal.”

“Sombra…” Twilight said softly.

He looked over at her. “You and your friends are so curious as to why I am helping you? It is because of her.” His voice was still strong, but it was softer now than Twilight had ever heard it. “The mere chance of being with her once again…” He faced forward, his gaze lowered slightly. “And becoming the prince I once was… that is why I am here.”

Twilight smiled at him, slowly lifting her hoof up onto his shoulder, which gained his gaze. “You know… Starlight and I would love a few magic lessons from a true unicorn master like yourself… if you ever wanted to.”

Sombra muffled a deep chuckle. “I could grant such a request. I look forward to it,” He then bowed his head slightly. “Princess Twilight.”

She bowed her head in return. “Just Twilight is fine.”

Luna walked out onto the wall with them. “Twilight, Sombra, it is time.”


Everything was crystal clear, the fragmented memories pieced together, like pages rewritten in an old book. His life upon the Great Mountain, his parents, his sister, his so-called friends, the pillars, the veil… and beyond. He remembered every moment, every ounce of pain, the day he ran away, he even remembered what the rain felt like on his fur. The voice… it showed him the way, the only way. The end of the world, and all its suffering.

His fiery red eyes stared up into the flaming star high above Equestria. He had been looking upon it for hours now, silent, and unmoving. He was at the point directly beneath it, where it would collide with the land, and cleanse the world of its life, all of it. There would be no escaping it; the magic would sweep over every inch, the highest peaks, the lowest caverns… everywhere life can be, it shall end. He wanted to be sure his was the first life the Red Star took away.

The mere presence of his magic corrupted the land, twisting it into a region of darkness. The green grass died and the earth hardened into slate-like stone, almost as if lava was poured over the land and cooled to form volcanic rock. Coupled with the perpetually darkened sky, the area was perfect for those willing to use the power of dark magic.

The Alicorn felt the darkness with every breath he took, every wave of his mane, his tail, and the haunt of a breeze about him. Now he would finish what he started all those millennia ago, and finally earn his freedom from the torments of life.

Stormclaw walked his way, having been patrolling the areas around them to be certain no one disturbed the Shadow Alicorn. He stopped, looking upon his master with a sense of absolution, his goal having finally been fulfilled.

Your patrols are unnecessary,” Erebus said without looking away from the Red Star. “Nothing can stop it.

The black dragon grimaced. “I have had my plans to free you postponed more than once,” He said, shaking his head. “So now I am going to ensure that they have no chance.”

Erebus glanced over at the dragon. “I admire your devotion, to die ensuring your dreams come true… I truly could never ask for a more worthy servant.

Stormclaw blinked a few times, looking up at the star. “I have seen enough to know that the world is beyond saving…” He paused, but then looked back down at the Alicorn. “I would be lying if I said I didn’t always believe that.”

You would be lying if you said otherwise.” Erebus replied softly, his gaze turning to the lands beyond the dark region, still so full of color despite the red glow now upon it. “I do not fault them for clinging to life, there was a time when I too clung to it in desperation. But the shadows have a way of making everything so much easier to understand. The light… it blinds them all, it tricks them into believing their struggles are worth enduring for those petty emotions that fill the gaps made from the pain. All of those who submitted to the darkness… they were showed the truth. They were given a taste of their destinies, only to have them corrupted again by the light.” Erebus paused, shaking his head. “Perhaps I shall remind them of it before the end.

Stormclaw remained in silence for a couple moments more before looking back down at his master. “The dreams,” He said, earning the gaze of the Shadow Alicorn. “Of when you went beyond the veil of light… what did the voice tell you? How were you showed the way?”

Erebus looked down for a second before lifting his gaze in the direction he once ran away in. “I could not tell you exactly what it said…” He replied, his voice calm as he could remember the feeling of hearing it, but not the words which were spoken. “Such words, I doubt, could ever be heard again, not unless it spoke to another. The ponies of this era have powers over time itself, but even if they were to manipulate it enough to travel that far back, they would be unable to hear it. Such forces transcend time, and are beyond the comprehension of us mortals.

The black dragon didn’t understand, but he didn’t need to. If his master told him it was beyond their ability to understand, that would only mean it makes perfect sense. Confusing… but strangely more true than anything he had ever heard.

“Do you…” Stormclaw asked, tilting his head slightly. “Do you ever wonder what it was that spoke to you? What it was that granted you the ability to see the truth?”

Erebus lifted his chin, replying with a small nod. “I know all I need to know about what it was.” The silence that followed held the black dragon in agonizing suspense. “Magic was once defined as a natural force. It was an unknown entity that they chose to respect for its secrets, its knowledge, and its unparalleled, destructive potential.” His horn lit up in a fiery red glow similar to that of the star above them. “What no one knows, however, is what magic used to be, before Alarei, before the Great Pillars, before the veil of light… in the world before light and shadow clashed for dominion over it.

Stormclaw subtly understood the point Erebus was making. “Perhaps it is best, even now, that such things remain forgotten.”

Yes… perhaps it is.” Erebus replied, the glow from his horn disappearing. His ears stood erect on his head, his eyes moving to look in a single direction without moving his head. “They are coming.


The once green plains of the east was now a wasteland of black stone and dust. As it appeared from afar, little light found its way into this place, other than the red from the now giant star above them. It seemed to closely resemble the Well of Shade from when Twilight and her friends fell into it, only now on the surface and without any predesigned structure.

Despite the intimidation caused by the blackened land, the armies met no resistance in crossing it. Having expected some kind of ring of protection around the epicenter of the dark region, the leaders kept their warriors on high alert all the way through.

The dark magic emanating from its center corrupted the land for a few miles, but nothing more. Before long, the four forces joined at each other’s flanks, creating a perfect circle of defense around where the magic was originating from. Mere minutes later, the armies halted, now only a few dozen yards away from the Shadow Alicorn and his dragon servant.

Erebus stood perfectly still during their approach, eyes unblinking as the ponies, griffons, changelings, dragons, and nymphs soon became the horizon from his position in all directions. Stormclaw glanced around at all of them as they advanced, but he too didn’t take a single step from where he stood.

When the four armies stopped, an eerie silence crossed the field of black stone. Armor glinted under the powerful glow of the Red Star. Eyes remained focused on the Shadow Alicorn, even as he instilled great fear in them by not even attempting to move and avoid their perfect positioning. A stillness fell upon the land, one which only ended when the group of leaders from each force advanced towards the two dark figures.

Approaching the Alicorn was a dreadful thing to witness, especially from the prospective of the ponies, whom Erebus watched carefully. Celestia, Luna, Cadence, Twilight, Shining Armor, Starfall, Discord, Sombra, Starswirl, Stygian, Ember, Scorch, Garble, Gale, Gilda, Thorax, Pharynx, and Aura Song. These 18 individuals where the ones who advanced as the leaders of their nations. Starfall, Garble, and Gilda were guardians of their leaders, and therefore were asked to come with them.

They all stopped in unison, each the same distance from Erebus who still remained at the center. A palpable tension grew from the silence, sheer terror gripping a number of them, as others felt only anger towards this shadowy creature. Among these emotions… empathy, felt from the Princess of Friendship who looked upon the pony who once was her friend, but who she hoped could be saved.

Erebus’ eyes moved suddenly, looking around at them without turning his head, his gaze eventually returning to Celestia. He nodded slightly. “Come together to say your farewells?

“You know exactly why we have come.” Luna replied.

Celestia eyed her sister, but then lifted her chin. “Stop this madness, Erebus. Cease your spell at once and come with us… please.”

Erebus tilted his head slightly, smirking. “Such sorrow I sense in your voice, sweet Celestia. To spare your feelings, to end this sadness I have inflicted upon you… I would, but I cannot.” He chuckled, his voice echoing like thunder from a storm and he shook his head. “Nothing can stop it now… not even me. When it is complete, and the star falls from the heavens… the world shall tremble and burn.” A dark laugh emerged deep from within him. “Everything, everywhere, will perish.

Gale grimaced, his talons squeezing at the stone beneath him. “Then you give us no choice but to finish you off. The magic must be coming from you, once you’re gone, the star will go with you.”

The Shadow Alicorn looked up slightly, as if thinking about it for a moment, gauging something. “Well now… that might work.” He said, turning his head to the griffon king. “Yes… yes, I see now, that is your only hope.” His dark laugh emerged once again. “Then again… if your lives hinge upon defeating me, you may as well accept your fate now, tiny king.

Garble growled, his claws clenching tight. “There are two of you, and thousands of us!”

Cadence then stepped in. “We have you surrounded! All of the world stands united against you and your evil plot!”

Erebus paused, slowly turning to her, his glare crumbling the confidence in her voice. “Surrounded you say? My dearest Crystal Princess… I am darkness, terror, and despair. Look around you,” He said, everyone hesitating at his calm, smug demeanor. “My shadow has spread throughout all of Equestria… it is you who is surrounded. I am destruction, death upon this world, your resistance is futile.

Twilight remained silent the whole time, only now looking away from Erebus to the others. Ember gave her a look, as did Gale and Thorax. She knew what that look meant, their eyes asked her forgiveness before moving to the Shadow Alicorn and transforming into anger.

“Have it your way!” Ember growled, spreading her wings. “Dragons! Destroy him!”

The horde of dragons roared and took off at full speed towards them. The very ground beneath them shook as thousands of dragons came charging towards them.

“Griffons!” Gale shouted aloud. “Attack!”

Almost at the same time as the dragons, the army of griffons charged from their own positions towards the leaders, keeping in relative formation unlike their allies.

Thorax nodded to Pharynx, who turned to their own force behind them. “All changelings advance!”

Like the other two, the changeling force charged at around the same time, some transforming into big wild creatures as they stormed across the black plains.

As the three armies advanced, the pony force held their positions. Shining was about to give the order, but Celestia stopped him. Everypony trembled from the tremor in the ground, watching as thousands of warriors converged towards the Alicorn.

Stormclaw glanced behind him at the advancing armies, looking up at his master. Erebus gave Celestia a contented smirk before turning around and facing the forces as well. His horn sparked red before becoming engulfed in his own magical aura.

Come, struggle and fight with all of your strength…” Erebus chuckled, the aura around his horn blazing up and becoming brighter as well as his eyes, the glow appearing out from his mouth as he spoke, each word deeper and darker than the last. “In the end all you’ll feel,” He said, reeling up on his hind hooves. “Is PAIN!

Slamming his hooves down onto the ground, Erebus lowered his horn to the stone, his mane and tail lifting upwards as a magical surge charged from his horn into the blackened stone.

Sombra’s eyes widened and he swiftly cast a dark protection spell around the leaders from the pony force. “Brace yourselves!”

Erebus arched his neck as the charging magic became a torrent of red light that cascaded around him. With a fierce, echoing roar, he lifted his horn high into the air. A deafening, shattering sound filled the air as the black stone in countless areas around him cracked and turned hot red. Destructive flares burst out from the ground most everywhere within the area around them, engulfing everyone’s vision in blinding, flashing light.

The flares completely devastated the armies’ offensive, breaking apart the forces who became thrown in every which direction by the explosions and firestorm. Sombra’s protection spell cracked and splintered until the princesses all joined in as well, reinforcing the dome of magic and shielding them from harm. The pony army, having not advanced, was just outside of the destructive spell’s range.

“Twilight!” Starlight called out, galloping from the front of the pony army. Pinkie, Rainbow, Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack, Spike, and the Pillars of Ancient Equestria all galloped after her, towards the dome of magic repelling the bursting flares.

Celestia gritted her teeth as she, her sister, Cadence and Twilight all helped Sombra hold the destruction at bay. Through the veil of their magic, a relentless barrage of fire exploded up from the ground. Ember and Scorch, although dragons, were struggling to stay on their feet as the magical blasts continued to erupt out from the ground. Gale and Gilda were just as lost as their forces, having no protection against the flames. The changelings, however, halted their charge to aid the griffons by transforming into dragons to try and shield them from the fires. Pharynx himself had shoved his brother Thorax to the ground and covered him as he took the brunt of the blasts.

In the very center of these flares was a small area where the ground was untouched by the destruction. Stormclaw watched in awe, his eyes glistening in the light of the flares. Erebus glanced around at the bursts, a sinister smile on his face. The smile slowly faded as he felt something barreling through the flames.

From the wall of flares in front of them, Garble came leaping through it, his scales simmering from the intensity of the spell. He swung his claw at Stormclaw, who was able to roll out of its way. As soon as Garble recovered from the swing, he turned and charged at Erebus. The Shadow Alicorn’s horn lit up and when Garble slashed at him, he struck a barrier, his foe not even flinching as he made contact. Stormclaw then leapt up when Garble was rebounded and struck him in the gut with a mighty swing, spinning around and slamming him in the head with his tail.

Garble went sliding across the stone ground, rolling to a halt as his chest heaved. Erebus eyed the winded dragon and the aura around his horn disappeared. As soon as he did so, the flares stopped erupting from the ground, suddenly casting silence over the land.

From the smoke of the many intense fires, the princess’ barrier shined out through it with cracks and small holes all over it. Seeing that the spell had been stopped, they let down the shield, the area they were standing in being the only place untouched by the flares.

The force of ponies advanced to the edge of where the spell took effect, demoralized as they witnessed the smoke finally clear away. The armies of griffons, changelings, and dragons was completely incapacitated, every single one of them wounded in some way or another. Despite being impervious to fire, the dragons had been battered by the sheer might of the explosions, while the changelings and the griffons were both in far worse shape.

Garble got up onto his claws, pushing himself upright as he growled at the Alicorn and black dragon. Ember and Scorch, having been downed by the savage spell, were able to spot him facing down the two villains alone.

Erebus looked to the pony princesses, giving them a more serious expression now. “Now that I have your attention…” He spoke out across the plains, whirling his head before firing a beam of magic at the red dragon.

Garble tried his best to block the beam, but was completely overwhelmed by it, being blasted back and up against a boulder formed by the flares, shattering it. Everypony gasped as they watched the red dragon lie there, motionless.

“Garble!” Ember cried out, limping her way over to her guardian while Scorch struggled to keep up, having been wounded as well.

Do you see now?” Erebus asked them, his voice echoing out across the land. “Your courage is admirable, but pointless.

Starswirl stepped up alongside the other five pillars. “Etherus was able to imprison you all those millennia ago, and so we shall do the same!”

Erebus chuckled into a deep laugh. “You think you stand on even ground to that of my sister? She was the only one who had the strength to prevent me from my destiny, and even then she could not keep my power at bay forever.” He spread his wings, all of the smoke vanishing from the air around them in an instant as a reaction. “As I have already told you… there is no stopping it.

“Stop!” Fluttershy cried out, running out in front of them all before the Shadow Alicorn. Erebus looked down upon the pegasus, his wings slowly returning to their folded position on his back. “…please.”

Erebus muffled a light chuckle. “Speak, little pegasus.

While it was true Fluttershy had never before seen a creature so frightening, she did not cower. It was true she had never before seen a creature so powerful, and yet she did not tremble. She looked up upon him with pleading eyes. “Please… let Shadow go.”

Tiling his head slightly, Erebus seemed either amused or fascinated by this request. Rainbow was the first to reach Fluttershy’s side. “Yeah! Give him back!”

“Let ‘em go!” Applejack yelled at him.

“We want our friend back, you brute!” Rarity scolded.

Pinkie hopped up over them. “Yeah, what they said!”

Twilight was the last of them to step forward, drawing Erebus’ attention to her. “If Shadow is anywhere inside of you, just let us speak to him… please.”

Erebus’ eyebrows softened at hearing their pleas. He blinked a few times, as if their demands actually meant something to him. A small glimmer of hope arose from these moments when Twilight thought that maybe they could get through to him.

It began slow and low, the Shadow Alicorn’s laugh gaining strength as it became hearty and loud, his eyes closed in sheer amusement before opening with the same intensity as before. “You foolish ponies, have you truly not figured it out yet?

The reaction and question stunned the mares, all of them having thought they were onto something before he started bellowing his deep laugh. The glow from his eyes and mouth intensified as he leaned down closer to eye-level with them.

I am Shadow.

Fluttershy felt her heart shatter into pieces, her eyes going wide as she took in a large gasp. Everypony else had a similar reaction, recoiling at hearing this impossible truth. “W-w-what…?” Twilight managed to say quietly.

Erebus chuckled, shaking his head. “My sister used her magic to scatter my memories into several key fragments, much like her own. They were only pieces… everything else I needed to remember lied within her heart, the artifact you all took to calling, the Crystal Heart.

Everypony gasped again, unable to reply to such a thing. The Crystal Heart was the heart of Etherus? Used to lock away Erebus’ memories?

Only when all of the key memory fragments were pieced together in my head could I unlock the memory from within her heart.” He continued, looking down at his chest and raising a hoof to it. “And so the darkness inside of me shied away in the presence of the heart to lure you all into a false sense of security… a truly brilliant strategy, I must say.

Fluttershy shook her head in disbelief. “No… no, you can’t be… Shadow is good!”

Erebus tilted his head, giving her an exaggerated expression of pity. “I apologize, dear Fluttershy, it would seem the pony you remember was only a piece of me… an ignorant possibility of what I was like when I was blinded by the light emanating from Etherus.” He lifted his head up high, turning away from them all. “Long ago, I too tried to follow in the hoof-steps of my sister, as you have… but all I found was more suffering. Greater and greater my pain became until I chose to flee from it all and into the shadows… and it was there that I found the truth.” He turned back around, glaring at them all. “The only purpose of life is to end.

“Shadow…” Fluttershy said, tears swelling up in her eyes.

The Shadow Alicorn lowered his head back down to eye-level with her. “The sad part is, you only don’t understand because you haven’t seen it for yourself. Believe me when I say that I do not hate you…” He then lifted his head, looking around at them all. “The light has blinded you all. You are too afraid to step into the shadows and see for yourself, and so I must end all of your lives. Only then will you truly understand.

“The shadows have done nothing but invite more grief into my life!” Luna yelled at him, her eyes brightening as well. “Such darkness left me on the moon for a millennia! I shall never forget!”

Erebus peered over at Luna, smirking. “No, no, young Luna, you have completely forgotten.” He turned and looked into the crowd of pony rulers. “Many of you stepped into the shadows at its invitation and saw the truth for yourselves. In those moments you were surrendered to it, you held a purpose in guaranteeing this day would come.” Celestia’s eyes widened and she looked to Luna. Erebus’ horn lit up in its fiery aura. “Each of you was pulled from the darkness back into the light by these petty forces… blinding you once again, but it is time your sight was returned to you.

The aura on Erebus’ horn turned a malevolent, swirling black color with ember-like lights within it. Luna felt her entire body freeze up as her eyes widened and she gasped. “NO!” Celestia cried, reaching for her sister, only to be repelled by a dark barrier.

Erebus’ eyes drifted from the Princes of the Night to others among the ponies. “The shadows never left any of you… they have only awaited their master’s call.” The dark aura about his horn blazed up stronger.

Sombra felt the same splintering pain that Luna did, becoming frozen in place. Stygian cried out, his eyes closing tight as he yelled in agony. Discord, too, became paralyzed by this invisible force, his body going stiff.

“Sombra!” Starlight cried.

“Stygian!” Starswirl said, turning to his afflicted friend.

Twilight, likewise, turned to Discord along with the rest of the girls. “Discord!”

Erebus let out a deep chuckle. “You have, each of you, chosen to embrace the shadows and the power it granted you in order to achieve that which you desired. Stygian, Sombra, Discord, Luna… feel the pain you once felt, and remember…

Each of them fell to the ground, untouchable from the dark veil that now surrounded them, despite their friends pounding away at them in desperation. They suddenly became drawn to Erebus, lining up in between him and the rest of the ponies.

Remember the truth… that life is pain, and only the shadows can free you from it.” Erebus spoke boldly, his eyes spiraling in their deep infernos. Each of the four stopped struggling, the shadows seeping into them as their eyes were clenched tight, only to soften at the darkness’ embrace. Lifting their heads, they each opened their eyes, which were bright white. “Now… awaken.

Stygian’s eyes became pitch black, strands of it reaching out and across his body, lifting up into the air. The darkness coated his body, melding into a mass of shadows. The mass sprouted wings and stood far taller than he had been before, revived as the Pony of Shadows.

Sombra’s eyes became engulfed in the aura of dark magic, spiraling off from them in a streaking trail. His body below the head transformed into pure shadows, swaying and moving around like smoke.

Discord’s eyes turned a deep purple color as his body contorted into the chaotic aura from his magic. He let out a deep, twisted laugh as reality around him began to twist and bend.

Luna’s eyes returned to normal, only to have her irises turn into slits. Her teeth changed into fangs, her fur turned pitch black, and her wings became edged. She let out a wicked laugh, transforming into Nightmare Moon without her armor, standing with a ripple of dark magic around her hooves.

All four of them turned in unison towards the ponies and away from Erebus, who only continued to laugh. “Behold, my little ponies… behold true power.

Twilight and Cadence both backed away, but Celestia took a half step forward. “Luna…?” She asked quietly.

Nightmare Moon shared in Erebus’ laugh before cocking her head to the side, eyes squinting as she smirked. “The night has finally come for you, sister.”

“It has come for you all…” Sombra spoke softly, his voice echoing as he stepped up beside Nightmare.

Stygian stepped just behind them, looking down upon the Pillars of Ancient Equestria. “Once the light has been extinguished…”

Discord then suddenly appeared on the opposite side of Nightmare than Sombra. “All the world shall be plunged into glorious chaos!”

Everypony had been so distracted by the four new foes that by the time they noticed Erebus whirling his horn again, it was already too late. The ground beneath the army of ponies, crystal ponies, and nymphs became covered in shadows before a spark shot through it that electrocuted them all. Twilight turned around to witness their last force being completely nullified as they all dropped to the stone ground.

Nightmare then reeled up on her hind legs and fired a magic beam at Celestia, who cast a protection spell at the last second to block it. Sombra used his own spell to make dark crystals spike up from the ground towards Cadence, but Shining Armor managed to grab her and pull her aside. Stygian fired his own black beam of magic at Starswirl, who was joined by Starlight in blocking it with a magic shield. All this while Discord’s claw and paw lit up and he lifted massive chunks of debris from the area with telekinetic power, throwing them at everypony else.

As Celestia and Nightmare both cancelled out each other’s spell, Twilight slid in between them, holding up her hoof to Nightmare. “Luna please! Snap out of it!”

“I am no longer Luna!” She replied, charging up her magic. “I am Nightmare Moon!” She then fired a concentrated beam of magic at Twilight, who leapt out of the way as the spell shattered the stone where she had been standing, creating a cloud of dust that rose high into the air.

Shining Armor moved to shoot a beam at Nightmare, but was slammed into by a barrage of dark crystals, Sombra appearing out from them and whirling his head as he blasted the unicorn prince to the ground, laughing as he did. He vanished into shadow just in time to evade a beam from Cadence, who galloped over to Shining to help him up, only to have both of them be knocked back down by flying stone fragments tossed by Discord.

Flash Magnus used his shield to block Stygian’s spell, but was repelled into the ground by the force of the attack. Starswirl charged up for a magic beam, but hesitated when Stygian looked at him, reminding him of his friend he once misunderstood. The moment was all the Pony of Shadows needed to cast another spell at the old unicorn, striking him down before he had a chance to cast a protection spell. Rockhoof and Somnambula ran to his aid, but were recoiled when a beam of magic struck the ground in front of them by Sombra, who laughed maniacally.

“Did you truly believe you would be rid of me forever?” Stygian chuckled, his white-glowing eyes brightening as he reeled back on his hind hooves, slamming the front ones into the ground. “The shadows are eternal!” A shock-wave shot out from him, one that blasted all 6 of the pillars down, overwhelmed by the four entities working together.

Discord moved his claw and paw around like he was a puppeteer, making the environment attack both Cadence and Shining as they failed to defend themselves from it. The draconequus let out an evil half-laugh before taking in a deep breath and blowing towards them. A gale-force whirlwind struck the two ponies, sending them sliding across the stone ground.

Starlight cast a beam of magic at Nightmare, who matched it with her own. Spreading her wings, the Alicorn’s eyes went white and she expelled a magical surge from her horn, overpowering Starlight’s spell and striking her down. She then turned to Twilight and cast another, but Starfall was able to tackle the princess out of the way before it could make contact.

Erebus watched with a calm resolve, his servants doing their job in suppressing the ponies. Stormclaw crossed his arms as he stood by his master’s side, a contented smile on his face.

Celestia fell down to one knee as she struggled to hold herself up, lifting her gaze to meet Sombra’s. She breathed heavily, glancing over at the others as they had now become almost completely rounded up by the other 3 villains. Lowering her head, she slowly returned her eyes to the shadow unicorn in front of her. “Oh Sombra… I am so very sorry…”

Sombra’s eyes squinted as he glared down at her. “For what?”

Celestia felt a tear fall down her face. “I should never have left you in the Crystal Empire before telling you the truth… about how I could never love another as much as I loved you.” This warranted a confused expression from the unicorn. Celestia tilted her head slightly, the tears continuing to flow. “Can you… forgive me…?”

Sombra blinked, his expression softening before contorting in anger from his confusion. “Why are you asking me now?”

Celestia, no longer having the strength to say anything other than a whisper, replied, “Because I forgive you for this.”

The darkness suddenly fell away from Sombra as his eyes widened. His vision became enveloped in bright light, whiting everything out around him. From his own eyes, he then witnessed the memory of when he first saw Celestia during the visit to her castle. Everything then flashed to the walks, talks, laughs, and tears of his visits that followed. The days at her side among her subjects, and the nights at her side within her room. He felt everything that burdened him, all of his troubles, doubts, and fears give way to the happiness, joy, and love he felt in those moments with her. Everything went white once more and changed to the moment Flurry was holding his muzzle and spoke his name. The power he felt from that one word on her voice…

The dark aura trailing beyond his eyes disappeared. His shadowy body took physical form once again, the darkness leaving him as it vanished into the dark stone beneath them all. In that moment, that one, glorious moment… he was finally free.

Lowering his head to Celestia’s, he nuzzled her softly. “I forgive you, my princess.”

Celestia lifted her head to meet his gaze, eyes widening as she realized how different he was… no, how much more he looked like him himself again; the unicorn she hadn’t seen in over a thousand years. “S-Sombra…?”

Sombra moved his horn to cross with hers and he closed his eyes, the princess doing the same. A bright light flashed from his horn and became joined by hers. Slowly, she stood up from her knees and up onto her hooves once again, the light from their horns becoming incredibly bright.

Nightmare, Discord, and Stygian all winced away from the intensity of it while Erebus watched it with unflinching eyes. He grimaced, shaking his head.

Celestia and Sombra both opened their eyes at once, look at each other like they used to so long ago. Sombra smiled at her. “Get everypony to safety...”

Celestia shook her head. “You can’t go… not now...”

Sombra shook his head. “We can’t fight him… you know we can’t. Twilight and her friends are our only hope… it’s always been them.”

“Sombra-” Celestia began to say. The unicorn pressed his head beside hers, the two of them leaning onto one another. They closed their eyes, their necks arched as they pressed against each other.

“Dream of me… and I will come find you.” He whispered to her. Celestia felt her brow tense up as she took in a sharp breath, nodding her head.

Stepping away from her, Sombra turned on the 3 villains, still in recoil from the light he and Celestia had created together. Stepping forward, a shadowy light channeled from his entire body into his horn, cascading like water as it met at the very tip, charging as it sparked wildly. Whirling his head around, he fired a pitch black beam of magic at them, purposely striking the ground below them to knock them all back.

Celestia turned just as he did, calling out, “Everypony! Follow me, quick!”

The ponies, still battered from the skirmish, managed to rise from the ground and flee with the princess as Sombra stood firmly between them and the servants of Erebus.

Nightmare rose, immediately spotting Celestia getting away. “No! You will not survive me yet again!” She yelled, firing a magic beam in their direction.

Sombra leapt in front of it and used his empowered magic to cast an absorption spell, which channeled the magic from the beam around and it the swirling mass of magic around him. Spinning about, he returned the spell at the three of them, causing them all to form a magic barrier to block it.

Sombra glanced back at the ponies as they ran, a smile dawning on his face. The smile remained as he turned back to his adversaries. “Come on then!”

Galloping forward, he simultaneously cast two offensive spells at them, prompting the villains to break apart and dodge the attacks. Discord scowled and tried using his magic to grab hold of Sombra, only to be met by a counter-spell from the swirling magic around the unicorn, one which recoiled the draconequus backwards.

Stygian growled and cast his own powerful beam at Sombra, who stopped on a dime at the last moment, using his horn to redirect the beam into Nightmare, who had been charging forward to use her own. Using the momentum from the redirection, Sombra fired another beam towards Stygian, but it was deflected.

Not seeing Discord rise back up into the air, Sombra was struck in the back by a boulder tossed through the air, sending him to the ground. He teleported out of the way from another beam by Stygian, but then was struck by one fired from Nightmare.

Stygian then moved to pursue the ponies that fled, but was instantly blasted in the face by a spell Sombra cast as he rose from the ground. He dodged a crystal hurled by Discord and ducked under a close-fired beam from Nightmare to kick her in the gut with both his hind hooves. He then felt Discord’s magical hold grab him and toss him through the air and into a magical blast by Stygian.

Rolling across the stone ground, Sombra huffed and coughed, trembling as he slowly lifted his head. Nightmare, Discord, and Stygian all surrounded him, angry expressions on their faces from the unicorn having been such a nuisance.

Slowly, Sombra rose up onto his hooves, which earned a slightly opened mouth from Stormclaw, who watched in amazement as the unicorn somehow got back up. Sombra struggled to stay up, barely having the strength to do so anymore. He glanced back behind him again, smiling again as he no longer saw any of the ponies. He looked back up and around at the 3 of them, eventually finding his way to Erebus’ gaze from afar.

Nightmare hesitated, turning around to see Erebus walking towards them. She stepped aside as the Shadow Alicorn passed her and stopped just in front of the unicorn. He looked down upon Sombra, unamused by his overcoming the spell he cast upon him. “How did you break free of my spell?

Sombra huffed, looking up at him. “I chose to.”

Erebus grimaced, but then nodded, impressed. “Was the pain worth it? To let them escape?

“Every… s-single… moment…” Sombra replied, falling down onto his knees. “Good luck…” He said softly, closing his eyes. “…my friends.”

Fur turning from gray to pitch black, Sombra’s body became covered in darkness. It started at his tail and hind hooves, the shadows breaking apart and into flakes that rose up into the air. Underneath, a bright, white light blew away slowly, as if by a breeze. Like leaves from a tree in the Fall wind, the shadowy flakes rose higher and higher as the light from within Sombra disappeared over the black stone ground. When finally his entire body vanished, the dark flakes faded, gone forever.

Erebus watched every moment of it, envying the unicorn his beautiful death. With the Red Star overhead cloaking the land in its malevolent shadow, the Alicorn looked up into the sky at it.

Let them run and hide,” He told his 4 remaining servants, who joined him in looking up. “It makes no difference… for the end is nearly upon us.

Author's Note:

Luna, Discord, and Stygian have become shadows of their former selves, serving Erebus, Sombra is gone in an ultimate redemption of his character, and now our heroes have been forced to flee... how much worse can things get?
Hey there everypony.
We've come a long way, this has truly been a wild ride. Be here next Saturday, December 30th, for the series finale of Lights and Shadows. How will our little ponies fare against the Shadow Alicorn now that he's shredded their offensive and divided their friends?
With the Red Star growing larger and larger, the fate of Equestria, nay... the entire world now rests upon our heroes' shoulders.
Have a Merry Christmas and Happy Hearth's Warming!
Stay awesome everypony!