• Published 28th Aug 2017
  • 2,607 Views, 27 Comments

Flurry Heart's Destiny - Sabrewolf9



Flurry Heart starts to wonder what she is supposed to do as an alicorn. Can a new friend help with that? Even if he's the son of Sombra! While no one accepts him, she does. But was that the right decision?

  • ...
2
 27
 2,607

4. An Unexpected Friend

Shadow slowly walked home, taking as much time as possible. He knew his father was going to be upset about him taking so long but he knew he would have been more upset about him not capturing any pony. When he finally reached the cave he dreaded the moment he would have to face his father as a failure. He knew his father hated failure, especially from his own son. As soon as Sombra heard footsteps he spun his head around to see who was there, but he was already sure it was Shadow.

"Where have you been?" Sombra asked while glaring at him.

"It was harder than I thought." Shadow said meekly.

"Who did you get?"

"I... I didn't get anyone," Shadow said waiting for the wrath to come down on him.

"What do you mean you didn't get anyone?!" Sombra spat. "How could you come here empty-hoofed?"

"There wasn't any pony around."

"I am disappointed, but as this was your first time you are forgiven."

"Oh thank goodness!" Shadow sighed in relief. " I thought you would..."

"But don't think you will be let off so easily next time," his father quickly interrupted him.

"Of course not, don't worry father, I won't fail again."

"You better not," Sombra said as he walked out of the cave.

"I will be back with dinner soon," he said before he left.

"Okay, bye," Shadow said waving with a fake smile on his face.

He figured it was best not to tell his father about the girl he met. He would probably get really mad that I didn't capture her and definitely not let me see her again :thought Shadow.

After his father left and was out of hearing range Shadow leapt with joy. "Oh I can't wait to see her again! What was her name? Uh... Flurry Heart, right. When I see her we'll... we'll, wait what will we do?"


When Flurry arrived back at the castle her mother noticed she was in very high spirits, and more than usual.

"Where have you been?" Cadence asked curiously. "You're much happier than usual."

"What do you mean?"

"Well you're skipping in the hallway and humming to yourself. You hum and sing a lot but you rarely skip."

"Oh, well I'm just happy, that's all."

"Well that's good, but what about?"

"I made a new friend."

"That's great! Who?"

"Oh uh..." just like Shadow, Flurry was also hesitant to say his name, wondering what her mom would think. "His name is Shadow Hunter."

"Shadow Hunter, huh what an interesting name," Cadence pondered.

"Yeah that's what I thought too," Flurry said with a slight laugh.

"Where did you meet him?"

"I was going for a fly a little outside Canterlot. That's where I met him." Flurry was hoping her mom didn't find out she was flying way outside Canterlot. Thankfully she was saved by a call for her mother.

Twilight was standing outside a door when she asked, "Cadence could you come here please?" Flurry noticed there was some sort of excitement in her tone, whether it good or bad she couldn't tell.

"I'll be right there," Cadence told her. "I'll be right back Flurry."

"Okay," her daughter said as she continued her skipping and humming. She was also curious why she was like this or why she was so excited to see Shadow again but she shook these thoughts off and continued her humming and skipping.


When Cadence stepped in the room Luna, Celestia, and Twilight were all there looking at a map of Equestria.

"What's going on?" Cadence asked.

Celestia was the first to speak, "we may have found where Sombra is located."

"You have!" Cadence said shocked. "Are you sure?"

"Yes," Celestia continued. "There have been reports on animal attacks and food being stolen in Canterlot as well as books. We believe the animal attacks and stolen food is how he is eating and the books are no doubt used for studying more dark magic and learning about pony society now; since he has been gone for a thousand years this would make sense."

"Where do you think he is again?"

"Just outside of Canterlot."

"But that's where Flurry Heart was!" Said Cadence even more worried now. "Thank goodness she is alright."

'"Yes we are thankful she is unharmed," Celestia said calmly. "Did she see anything unusual while she was gone?"

"I don't think so, but she did say that she made a friend."

"Odd, not many ponies live right outside Canterlot," Celestia said tapping her chin. "Was this pony by themselves?"

"I think so, but I'll ask Flurry."

"Good, because this could have been Sombra in disguise trying to get information from her."

"Oh I hope not," Twilight interjected.

"Me too," Cadence said with a worried expression on her face.

"Don't worry we will find him."

"My sister is right," Luna said finally joining the conversation. "We will find him, but only if we act now."

"Princess Luna is right," Cadence said about to leave. "I'll go ask Flurry Heart if the colt was alone right away."

"Yes and Luna and I will send guards out to search for Sombra."

"And I'll warn every pony to be on high alert and let us know if they see anything," Twilight told Celestia.

"Thank you Twilight," Celestia said with a small smile on her face.


Flurry Heart was in the bedroom she was staying in while her family was in Canterlot. She was about to open the door but her mom got to it first.

"Oh, Flurry Heart there you are. I assumed you would be here," Cadence said quickly.

Flurry was still trying to put together what her mom had said because of the shock of seeing her as soon as she opened the door and how fast she said it, but she still understood her.

"Uh yeah, did you need something?"

"Yes, I need to ask you a simple but important question."

"Okay, what is it?"

"That friend you mentioned earlier, was he alone?"

Flurry was not expecting that question, but answered truthfully, "yeah, he was alone. Why?"

"Oh no, that's not good!" Cadence said looking worried. "The other princesses think he could have been King Sombra in disguise."

"What!? Why would they think that?" Flurry asked in shock.

"Because there have been reports of attacks in Canterlot so they think he's near here. They also think that colt you met was him in disguise because he was trying to get information from you."

"But why me?"

"Because you're young and vulnerable. Not to mention a Royal.

"But I don't think it was him. He was really nice and he didn't ask me any questions about where I live or who I was."

"Still, we need to make sure. What did he look like?"

"He was a dark gray unicorn with a black mane..." the more Flurry Heart described the colt the more Cadence's eyes widened. "And he had green eyes."

While Flurry described this colt her face seemed to light up with happiness but Cadence didn't notice this because she was thinking too much about how Flurry described him.

"That's what Sombra looks like! Besides the green eyes, that's an exact image of him," Cadence said pacing back and forth the room. "I would expect him to have a better disguise then that, but maybe his magic is weak. We need to tell Princess Celestia right away!"

"Princess Celestia!" Cadence called from out the door.

"Yes?" She responded from the hallway. "Is there something you wish to tell me?"

"Yes, Flurry just described the colt to me and said that he was alone."

"That's not good. What did she say the colt looks like?"

"The way she described him," Cadence continued. "He looks exactly like Sombra, but with green eyes instead of red."

"Interesting, I would have expected Sombra to have a better disguise then just a different eye color." Said Celestia looking to the side. "His magic may still be weak even after all this time."

"That's what I thought as well."

"Even though we do not know for sure if it is him yet, make sure Flurry Heart does not go to see him again. We don't want to take the chance," Celestia said looking at her with worried eyes.

"Of course. I don't want her going back there either."

Flurry Heart had heard all of this listening from behind a corner as she thought to herself, oh no! What's he going to think when I don't show up. He might think I'm hurt or worse! That I stood him up.

"I know he's not Sombra, he can't be! Oh, but I know my mom will want more than just that as proof. I have to tell him that I won't be able to see him again so we doesn't worry."

With this Flurry flew out one of the nearby windows, "I just hope I'm right."


Shadow was reading while he waited for his father to come back, as he always did, when he could have sworn he herd the faint sound of someone calling his name.

"Huh?" He said looking up from his book. He shook the thought off as he returned to his reading.

Then he heard it again but this time a little louder. "Is... is someone calling my name?" He thought out loud. Then to himself, no it couldn't be. It was definitely not father's voice. Then who...? Suddenly realization dawned on him on the only other pony that new him.

"Flurry Heart!" He shouted with joy as he ran out the cave to see her, not caring about his father at the moment.

The closer he got the more he could hear her. When he made out the tone of her voice he realized it wasn't one of panic and sighed in relief. For some strange reason he felt that even know he had just met her once he cared about her. He thought it was just because she was the only other pony he knew besides his father.

When he got close enough to see her he shouted her name back, "Flurry Heart!"

She quickly spun her head around to see him, "Shadow Hunter there you are! I was looking for you."

"Oh sorry. I didn't know," he said sheepishly and it made her giggle. He tilted his head in confusion at this as she said...

"Of course you didn't, and I didn't expect you to. After all we didn't plan on meeting up until tomorrow afternoon," she said smiling.

This made him blush realizing she was right and he probably sounded silly saying he didn't know.

"Oh, right... I knew that," he said blushing even more now and it made Flurry giggle more too.

"Oh I almost forgot what I came hear to tell you!" She said suddenly and it was her turn to blush slightly as she thought and realized how easily he distracted her but she shook it off because of what she had to tell him.

"I...I can't..." She found herself unable to say anything as she stared into his shining emerald green eyes. She knew this couldn't have been Sombra, not with the way he was acting. She quickly covered up what she was about to say with something else.

"I can't wait to hang out with you more!" She said hoping he didn't notice the hesitation in her voice. He didn't seem to as he was smiling at her so she continued. "That's why I didn't wait until tomorrow to see you."

She hoped he bought it and he seemed to as his smile grew wider. She let out a sigh of relief seeing this and smiled herself. After all it wasn't a lie, she really couldn't wait to see him again. Then a thought occurred to her, oh no! How am I going to explain to mom where I've been. She was on her way to tell me not to come back here.

Shadow noticed the worried look on her face and asked, "are you okay?"

This snapped her out of her thoughts as she looked back at him, "huh? Oh yeah I'm fine."

"Oh okay, but what does the phrase hang out mean?"

"You know, hang out. Play with each other."

"Oh so it's another term for playing with some pony. I've never done that before, just read about it in books."

"Really?" Flurry asked in disbelief. "You've never played with any pony before?"

"No I haven't, but I read about it sometimes in books."

"Well then we'll have to fix that," she said walking past him into a clearing of the forest. He watched her curiously and followed.

"So what do you do most of the time?" Flurry asked now walking side-by-side with him.

"Study," he said with no excitement in his voice. It was clear to Flurry he did not enjoy it that much.

"So... what do you study?" She asked even though she was pretty sure she knew the answer.

"Magic and more magic and..., oh what do you know, more magic!" He said sarcastically.

Flurry laughed at this before he continued. "Although when I get the chance I read stories. That's how I know about playing, it sounds fun. I learned how to read with these stories. That's the only reason we have them," he said looking down knowing his father would have never gotten them just for him to enjoy.

Flurry noticed this and tried to distract him from whatever it was he was thinking about. "So I take it you like to read?"

"Yeah, I guess. I never get to do anything else anyway, except practice magic."

"I love to practice magic!" The young alicorn said enthusiastically. "What spells do you know?"

"Oh I know a lot, but you probably know more considering you're an...you know, alicorn." He said pointing to her horn and wings. "How did you do that anyway? My dad has been looking into alicorn magic for years and hasn't found out how to become one yet." He flinched at this, realizing he probably revealed too much.

"Wait, your dad is trying to find out how to be an alicorn?" She asked with wide eyes.

"Uh... nevermind!" He said quickly.

Flurry started to think about what her mother and Princess Celestia had said about him being Sombra. She started to think that he could be Sombra and got a little nervous.

"Oh, well... I think I should go." She turning around.

"No wait!" He said jumping in front of her. She could have just flown over him but she decided not to. "Please stay, I'm sorry I brought that up. I won't again, I-I promise."

His eyes were so pleading, Flurry felt she couldn't say no. Sombra wouldn't have wanted her to stay if he wasn't going to get the information he wanted. This couldn't have been him.

"Okay," she said after thinking about it hard. A thing about Flurry Heart that would surprised most ponies, is she always thought about something before she did it.

"So like I was saying before, what kind of spells do you know?"

Shadow thought about this and decided to leave out the dark magic. He didn't want her to be suspicious about anything.

"Oh, well I can do levitation spells, as you saw earlier this morning," he said smiling and something about his smile made Flurry Heart's heart beat a little faster and she blushed. Shadow didn't seem to notice this as he continued, "I also know how to turn an object into something else, usually fruit." He mumbled the last part, disappointed in himself he hadn't gotten farther than that. "Oh and I just mastered a teleportation spell."

Flurry stared at him with her mouth open a little bit. She was very impressed with how much he knew considering how young he was, granted she actually didn't know his exact age which made her wonder what it was.

"Wow, you know a teleportation spell. I haven't even gotten there yet. Those are pretty hard aren't they?"

"Yeah, I guess," he shrugged.

"You guess!?" She said shocked. "That's a really advanced spell for a pony your age."

"Thanks, but father doesn't think so," he said with his ears laid back.

"No offense, but the way you've described your father, he doesn't seem very nice."

"Yeah, I know," he said sadly. "But he's the only family I have."

"What about your mom?"

"I never knew her and my dad doesn't talk about her."

"I'm sorry," Flurry said with compassion in her voice.

"That's okay," he said turning his head away. "But I need to get back. My dad is probably wondering where I am."

"Same, see you tomorrow still?"

"Yeah," suddenly he smiled, trying not to end on a sad note. "If you can wait that long," he winked.

"Yeah yeah, I can. But I won't be able to see you again for awhile after that."

He stopped smiling, "why not, don't you live here?"

"Actually no, I live in the Crystal Empire."

"The Crystal Empire!" He shouted probably too loud.

"Yeah, what's wrong?" She asked curiously.

"Oh nothing," he said slightly worried, knowing what his father had planned for that place. "Let's just say... I think we'll be moving there soon."

"That's great! I'll get to see you more then," she said excitedly.

"Uh... yeah," he said hesitantly. "Something like that."

"Yay!" She shouted, throwing her arms around him in a hug. This made him blush crimson as he asked, "what are you doing?"

"Giving you a... hug," she said slowly, confused as to why he would ask that.

"Oh right, a hug," he said as he began to say the definition of of hug. "An act of holding some pony in their arms, typically to show affection."

She stared at him and laughed, "do you always refer something to a book?"

"Kind of, yeah."

"It's okay," she said done laughing. "I understand, well I'll see you later. Bye."

"Bye," he said waving with a smile on his face.


Flurry flew in from her guest bedroom window and saw that no pony was there. She sighed in relief. "Good, maybe no pony noticed I was gone."

Hearing her daughter's voice, Cadence opened the door. "Flurry Heart, there you are! I've been looking everywhere for you, where have you been?"

"I was just playing outside," she said nervously.

"Oh, well you need to tell me these things before you do it. Do you understand?"

"Yes mom, I understand."

"Good," her mom said as she gave her daughter a hug. "We were worried that Sombra may have gotten you."

"Why would you think that?" Flurry asked, getting out of her mother's embrace.

"Nevermind - it's not important. I'll be right back to tell you something. I need to let everyone know that you're ok."

"Okay, see you in a minute." Flurry said as she waved slightly.

When she was gone Flurry thought to herself, why in Equestria would they think Sombra took me. Shadow is definitely not him, but the way he described his father...

"No no no, what are you thinking Flurry?" She said to herself. "Of course his father's not Sombra... right?"

Author's Note:

Yes I am aware ponies don't have arms, but I'm going to keep saying it that way because it's easier for me. Next chapter is going to have a song in it. I don't normally have songs in my stories but I think I'm going to start to more and this song went perfectly with Flurry Heart's situation with the Dazzlings. Oh and I am sure some of you were wondering why the Dazzlings are fillies and ponies in this. You will find out eventually, don't worry.:twilightsmile:Sorry chapters haven't been coming out as soon as you would like them to but I've been busy. I will try and get them out sooner though, but please review and share!