• Published 24th Aug 2017
  • 563 Views, 0 Comments

Starswirl's Return - Harratot33



After Starswirl The Bearded, thought dead, returns to aid the remaining non-evil ponies in defeating Stellas Spatium, Starlight Glimmer must create her own magic!

  • ...
 0
 563

Chapter 8 - Starswirl's Sacrifice

Discord, Fluttershy, Princess Cadance, Shining Armour, Flurry Heart, Tirek and Trixie were huddled together in the exterior of the Crystal Empire, just waiting. It was not long before Starlight Glimmer re-appeared; a shield of white engulfed her, rendering her almost invisible.

"Starlight?" Trixie asked. "Are you...?" The shield vanished. Starlight opened her eyes, and simultaneously, spread her wings wide.

"Wings?!" Discord exclaimed. "That can only mean one thing, surely..."

"It's true," said Twilight, appearing seemingly out of nowhere. "Starlight has proven that she's worthy of becoming the..."

"AN ALLICORN!" Trixie bawled, and fainted on the spot! Twilight sighed.

"No," she responded to the now-decidedly unresponsive unicorn pony. "I was going to say that, and I'm sure you've all figured it out by now, virtually everypony who has been transformed into an allicorn in the history of this land of ours has been promoted to a position of nobility at the same time. Now, I can't speak for you ponies, but I personally firmly believe that since I've come to know her, Starlight Glimmer has showcased all the qualities a true friend who genuinely understands the values of the state. And as Princess Celestia and Luna are no longer with us," her face turned sorrowful for a split second. "I think they would have liked Cadance and myself to take up new positions in royalty ourselves."

"YOU DON'T M--" Starlight could not believe her ears! They were being deceitful! It was the only explanation.

"I couldn't be more meaningful," Twilight verified. "But there'll be time for all of that later." She began to trot back towards what was left of the Empire."

"But Spatium's been vanquished, hasn't he?" Trixie hastily demanded.

"I believe Twilight is referring to the ponies who are still under his influence," said Discord. "The ponies who appear to be under the impression that the Crystal Empire is some kind of giant-sized piñata," he frowned.

"I am indeed referring to them," Twilight sighed. "Ordinarily, when faced with a rampaging army composed entirely of hatred, me and my friends would simply go in and start fighting. But not this time. This time we require a plan. Come on, everypony, we need time to formulate what it's going to be." She and the others began to make their way back to the throne room, which by some miracle was still standing. Trixie was less than content.

"When are we gonna get to kick some flank?!" She shouted.

"Soon enough," Starlight told her. "Good things come to ponies who wait."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Are you looking forward to getting back to the more desolate areas of Equestria?" Fluttershy asked Starswirl The Bearded once they were inside. "Or are you going to expose yourself?"

"There's no way I can do that—there's simply too many ponies who would desire to plagiarize my work...or worse, of course." Fluttershy's facial features turned dismal.

"I understand."

"Are you really going to remain in solitude for the rest of your days?" Discord also looked concerned.

"I don't want to!" Starswirl's vocals were now purely sombre; his face scrunched itself up as tears began to form in his eyes. "I'm tired. Tired of living alone. Tired of living in constant fear of being discovered. Tired of...this tiredness. I'm just tired." Discord and Fluttershy shot each other a look of grief. "But I do know how we can reimpose everypony's former personalities."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm sorry, Starswirl." Twilight spoke slowly; her throat felt as if it were made of stone. "We could never do that to you. It's...it's no different than killing you." The magician nodded falteringly.

"I am aware," he said. "But I know you'd all much rather have all of your friends back than Equestria be home to so many ill intentions any longer. And that's what I want. I don't want to continue living like this...but I...I can't re-surface..."

"I know. If all the dozens of books I've read on you taught me anything, it's that the ramifications of such a decision would be far too great."

"Please," Starswirl pleaded. "It's my life against everypony in the land!" Nopony in the group said a word. They simply huddled together; Starswirl used a basic teleportation spell to go so he was just in front of Cadance and Shining Armour's thrones. Lord Tirek walked ahead of everypony else until he reached the bottom of the steps. He gradually took a very deep breath—a string of blue magic shot out of the conjurer's body, transporting directly into the centaur's body in the process. Tirek grew significantly larger, while Starswirl The Bearded became a large pile of whimpering grey fur on the ground. Twilight sped over to him.

"You're the most inspirational pony I've ever met," she told him. "I wouldn't be what I am today if it weren't for you." Starswirl was almost incapable of replying, but by using every last ounce of his remaining strength, he managed to respond with:

"You inspired me too."