• Published 19th Aug 2017
  • 342 Views, 1 Comments

CSR Philadelphi - shysage



SciFi, Utopia, I don't know about any of that! My name is Maude, and I work my tail off 6 days a week at the Diner, and try to keep salesmorons from taking what I can never get back... Why do I keep having these stupid dreams?

  • ...
 1
 342

Ch5, Spring Star

Fall Star cried for a while. That shaking had deeply scared her, not just because of what it was, but more for what it meant. Fall Star felt Philadelphi needed help with that, was calling out for help. Still, when she calmed down, she walked us slowly up that ramp again. "Well, I hope that fixes it, fixes Philadelphi... As I mentioned, I feel some urgency to take care of our home since so many ponies depend on this tiny oat meadow in space... Still, we really appreciate..."

I just added quietly "Princess, we are here to help. And my Stallion is just very good at tasks like that."

In front of some sort of large doorway, Fall Star and I hugged a while more. Then Fall Star pulled away and said quietly "Well, I just hope there is nothing else to fix on Philadelphi. We kind of need our home...."

We weren't anywhere near the top of this strange building, but Fall Star turned, and led us through that doorway into a very large, circular room, with large windows all the way around the perimeter. The view was amazing, I quickly saw that. But Fall Star led us slowly over to another Leading Star, I think, and calmly introduced us. "Spring Star, this is Summer from Equestria(1). I think you got the docs..." Fall Star stopped talking right then, because Spring Star and I were already quickly hugging... tightly... Fall Star said quietly "Of course..." then "I'll be back, gonna' check my status", then Fall Star walked off.

Spring Star... Light yellow coat, pinkish blond mane and tail... Spring Star felt every bit like my sister Fluttershy(1); I didn't even need to ask anything. Spring Star felt the same in me though, so we just hugged right away, and tightly. No words really needed to be said, not yet. I didn't want to stop; I guess I still missed my sister fiercely. Well, as we hugged, Spring Star whispered quietly in my ear "I don't know if anything has been said, but bringing you here was my suggestion. I think it was a good one, but..." then after a brief delay "Oh, my goodness, it's so good to have you here..."

Spring Star and I hugged a while longer, then we backed away. "Well, you feel just like my sister, in case that means anything" I said quietly as I grinned.

Spring Star blushed. "I... Wow, that is such a compliment... Thanks..." And Spring Star had the same quiet, feathery voice that my sister has. Still, to see her with that Unicorn horn... Spring Star was an Alicorn, just like Fall Star. I was pretty sure Spring Star was one of the three Leading Stars. And I got the hugest grin as Spring Star used her magic to pull her own panel thing from her back... She looked intently at it, worked at it with her magic briefly... Maybe Spring Star read my mind... or felt it... Then she laughed. "Well, magic and I aren't friends... Learning magic is just very hard for me. Of course, I got a late start, but still... I can use this, but... I don't think my magic is very useful beyond that... Well, I can brush my mane and tail with it, so I don't know..." Spring Star was in thought a minute, then said "Hmm, follow me please." Spring Star led us over to a part of this large, circular room... It looked like some sort of control area, or something. I think each of the Leading Stars had their own part of this room. Shysage could probably describe it better. But five other ponies were standing in front of their own larger fixed panels, looking, watching... Three were P-type, one was E-type, one U-type. They just used their front knees to push a few large buttons, to interact with the panels, I guess...

The E-type looked up at Spring Star and spoke quietly "Spring Star, I don't know what to do about..." I think this was the reason Spring Star had walked us over here. Spring Star watched the large panel thing intently next to E4300. I was right next to Spring Star, and even I could tell... Well the view was, two ponies were having a discussion, and it didn't seem very peaceful or kind.

Spring Star watched briefly, then said quietly to the E-type, using her number, I guess. "E4300, this kind of thing, other ponies arguing, getting upset, well that makes me feel uncomfortable too. That can't be helped." Spring Star hugged E4300 tightly; I think she felt E4300 was not comfortable. Then Spring Star continued. "But this sort of thing absolutely needs to be addressed. We need to watch over them carefully. That can't be helped either. Just give them a little while more, then jump in and remind them that the rest of us are counting on them resolving their disagreement calmly. Let me know if things escalate, or if that doesn't help." Spring Star thought briefly, then added "And engage mtrac if they leave without resolution." Spring Star again turned around to face me. "I apologize about that. Sometimes, some ponies need to be reminded that getting along here in Philadelphi is not an option."

I had the hugest smile... "You watch over how everypony gets along up here!"

Spring Star blushed... "I... Well, it's..." Then she sighed. "Yes..." She was in thought briefly, then added "I do have help... There are other ponies among us who are especially gifted in conflict resolution. I watch over them, and teach them how to play that role. E4300, P2993, P1783, U2761 and P4204 are my latest treasures. They are learning fast!" Spring Star stopped and hugged each one.

Spring Star then backed us away so they could do their tasks. Then she moved right next to me and quietly explained. "We really don't know how these pvis monitors work." (She was looking at the 5 large panels in front of her treasures!) "It is sort of a mix between magic and tech as far as we can tell. We always have pictures and sound, and we can speak to the ponies in the picture, too." Spring Star was watching one pvis intently for a brief time, then she continued. "We don't have any control over the pvis panels other than that. It is like... Well, the pvis scans, selects problem issues it finds... all by itself, I guess. We just wait for the pvis to pick up a situation, and deal with it if we need to. And, often, no interaction will be necessary, and we can just watch, and make sure. Or, with me, I can select a random and just try to see how everypony up here is doing. I can watch for hours, just doing that!" Spring Star was in thought a minute, then added "I can use my smaller panel for that, too."

This task sounded so perfect for a pony just like my sister Fluttershy!(1). Still, I was just a little concerned, in the back of my head anyway. If Shysage and I spent the night here in a dorm here, we might... And I blushed before I even tried to ask what I wanted to ask. But I guess Spring Star felt... "We don't need to worry about that. The pvis will keep the situation appropriate, and safeguard everyponies' right to privacy. It does that all by itself. And the operational docs for pvis clarify that will always be the case." Spring Star frowned just then. "Well, if their is a problem, if somepony is doing something wrong, privately... We just recently sent a pony to a pen for that..." Spring Star sighed after saying this. I don't think that was a happy memory for her.

"A pen?" I asked quietly.

Spring Star smiled. "Like I said, getting along is not an option here in Philadelphi. Everypony knows, everypony is constantly reminded... 'Get along, or go to the pen'. I came up with that!" Spring Star was still smiling. But she just felt... "The pens are above ground, so they get sun, and we feed them, but they are locked in, inside a cage made of bars, away from other ponies. We call the cages pens, well, just because that is the term used in operationals." Spring Star felt like she should explain, so she backed us both up more, away from her treasures, and thought a bit. Spring Star smiled, then explained. "When I first took over pony care, the pens seemed harsh to me. But I quickly realized... Putting a pony who doesn't want to be considerate, kind to others, putting them in a pen... It is not about them anymore, they have made some choices already. It is for the protection of the rest of us, those of us that do try, and are trying to be considerate, kind, getting along with each other. Ponies who refuse to do that, well that is their choice. The pen is where they will end up, for the sake of the rest of us. We really have no other choice." Spring Star stopped here, then added, a little more quietly "We know that some Unicorns can get out of our pens. But they clearly know... We have a portable machine that... trims... their horn. It keeps the pain involved to a minimum, but their magic will suffer... So, they know they should not use their magic. And if anypony escapes their pen... Well, the pvis can and will find them no matter where in Philadelphi they try to hide. We sleep them, then put them back in the pen. And again, they have already made some choices at that point. Our actions are to protect the rest of us that do want to get along here in Philadelphi. We really have noplace else to send them." Spring Star sighed. "Yes, the use of the pens doesn't bother me any more. It just doesn't make sense to let somepony trample the rest of us, or even kill us, just because they refuse to get along. They can live in the pen until they decide otherwise." Fall Star was in thought briefly, then she added "And we even have 50+ bully pens down below. Well, operationals call them 'Isolation', but I know what they are for. Anypony who refuses to control their anger... It is their choice. They are not more important than the rest of us. And I won't hesitate..."

"Spring Star, you are perfect for this..." I said quietly.

Spring Star gave me a hug. "Well, you would know better than anypony..." she said quietly, then added "And, thanks..."

Spring Star watched her treasures, their panels for a little while, but was soon quickly in thought again. She timidly explained. "I don't... Your sister is such a sweetie, and I could show you both our ERP plots and such. Still, I really can't explain why she and I are so similar--"

I smiled immediately, interrupted her, then said "alike!" than laughed like a sister, and hugged Spring Star again.

She laughed too. After our hug, she finished her thoughts. "On the one hand, the Leading Star spec package marks us out as good leaders, just as we see from Princess Twilight's(1) friends down below. A careful understanding of the ERP mechanics makes that clear. And, to be honest, the last two Leading Stars died less than a month apart. Fall Star, Winter Star and I were set forward, and took over our responsibilities. Well, one day we were watching some archived evis content together, about Princess Twilight(1) and her friends down below. Fall Star stopped the content... Well, we just looked at each other, amazed... Why each of us have so many similarities to three in that circle... I don't think we have any idea about that..." And I just know Spring Star fought with herself before she added this. "...And I don't have a sister, for the record."

With a mischevious smirk on my face, I said quietly "You feel like mine!" and we hugged again. It wasn't short.

After that hug... "Your sister Fluttershy(1)..." Spring Star started, "she has all those animal friends. That made me sad, at first. That would be such amazing fun for me, too... a cute little bunny like hers..." Spring Star thought briefly, then smiled. "But, well, everypony in Philadelphi is my friend, and I really care about each pony up here, so it all works out." Then Spring Star walked slowly away, and I followed her over to the window next to her area, I think. Looking out across Philadelphi, Spring Star sighed, then said slowly, quietly... "24,376 packed packed together here... 968 more on the way, and maybe 1,000 who have lived a good life and will soon..." I saw the few tears that began to drop, and hugged Spring Star right away. "It... feels like a lot of responsibility... And... I always wonder if I am doing enough... to help them enjoy it here..."

As we hugged, I said honestly. "Pony care... I can't think of anypony better for this than you, Spring Star..." That made her cry, which made me cry. We hugged tightly, and cried quietly there together for a little while.

In the middle of that Spring Star said quietly "Oh, it feels so good to have you here..." That made me cry more...



Author's Note:

(1) c/tm Hasbro inc.

(2) CSR Philadelphi is vol. 17 of the Chronicles of Summer Rain, and is c[nevermind] by Shysage