• Published 11th Aug 2017
  • 315 Views, 3 Comments

Camouflage - Teal



Lost in the jungle, a member of the Equestrian Marines fights for his life, trapped and surrounded by his enemies. Luckily for him, a pony named Camouflage finds him.

  • ...
 3
 315

Things aren't quite the way they seem

We made our escape the moment the sun rose.

For the entirety of the night, Camouflage and I had been fending off every attack the Zebras threw at us. Battling them with our rifle fire and trying to conserve as much ammunition as we can, we gunned down any Zebra that got close and gave them a real tough time.

At many points during the night I thought that we were goners and that the enemy would overrun us. But Camouflage somehow always managed to take out the enemy before they got too close and I was really glad to have him because of that. When he first arrived at my position, I was doubtful on whether he would prevent the invertible. Sure, he brought ammunition and an extra rifle to fire at the enemy, but I was sure that he was only delaying our faiths. But once the bullets started firing and he started fighting, I quickly realized that he was the pony you would want on your side.

Firing his weapon with skill and accuracy, it seemed to me that it only took him one shot to silence an enemy, even those hidden in cover. He must have a marksman badge somewhere, because only expert marines like that could probably pull off a one shot kill.

He did most of the work that night and I felt that I was merely supporting him and taking out those he missed, which was rare since I think he got almost every single Zebra that attempted to attack us. Most of the time, all I did was watch, while giving careful nods after the excited calls he makes after every kill.

Now, because of all his shots, most of the enemy fire was attracted to him. Seeing his muzzle flashes and zeroing in on his position, a majority of the enemy fire was aimed at him, as bullets landed all over Camouflage.

But whether because the Zebras were bad shots or because he was blessed by Celestia herself, none of the bullets fired at him ever hit. It was surprising to see all the bullets lands around him and not find its target, but I was real glad that he ended up alright. This was a real marine here and not having him riddled in bullets was keeping me alive.

Exchanging bullets with the enemy and wearing each other down, we stayed active all night long, occasionally slackening our fire, before suddenly going into an intense engagement. There was no sleep for the both of us, as we had to stay vigilant to make sure that the enemy didn’t get too close.

Occasionally, I would find myself closing my eyes and dozing off from the exhaustion of it all, but Camouflage… He stayed up all night without flinching. As if he chugged down an entire bucket of coffee, he managed to stay awake with no problem, firing his rifle at new targets, before looking out to find another one.

He was like a machine and I was not complaining.

By the time morning came, there was little sign of the enemy. Aside from their lifeless bodies that littered the jungle floor around us, any Zebra who wanted to get us was gone.

Taking this opportunity to make our break, we gave a quick study of the map I had and began plotting a route back to camp. Now with light giving good illumination, I was able to see the map properly and find where we were.

Soon enough, we were making our way down a jungle trail, following it as it led us towards our destination. Leading the way was Camouflage, who kept a careful eye on what was ahead of us, while I followed and watched our rear.

“You doing alright over there, partner?” Camouflage asked me during one point in our trek.

Tired from the entire night spent fighting, I let of a small grunt before speaking in a weary voice:

“Yup, doing good.”

“Heh, sounds like you could be better.” He told me.

“Yeah, I would prefer being back home than slugging through a jungle.” I said.

“Oh, don’t we all.” He said, letting out an audible long sigh, one that held loneliness and longing.

Giving him a curious look, I stared at him for a second or two, surprised by this reaction. Throughout the time I’ve been with him, he was nothing but positive. But hearing him sigh, sounding so deflated, that was new.

“Got any family, Night Light? A mare waiting back home?”

“Uh, yeah.” I said, a bit shocked at the sudden change of topic. “A beautiful wife and two children, one colt and one filly.”

Turning towards me and smiling, Camouflage nodded his head. “Same here. Although I have another one coming in and would probably be born in the next couple of months.”

“Oh, congratulations.”

“Thanks.” He said with a chuckle. “But I don’t think the Missis can handle another one after that. The two we already have are quite a hoofful already and even with my ma helping her, its still a tough job taking care of them. Makes me guilty having to leave the two to take care of all the children without me there to help. Add that to all the farm work they have to do...it must be a real nightmare back there.”

“It’s not your fault, the draft called us all whether we liked it or not. And don’t worry; I’m sure you’ll be able to make it up to them once you get back.” I said. “Cause I know that’s what I’m going to do once I step foot back home. I’m going to make up all the lost minutes I had with the family.”

“Yeah…when I get back home.” He said, a sad smile on his face.

For a moment, I wondered why it made him so sad, the thought of going home. If anything, I thought it would rejuvenate him, to give him more energy. Cause it sure encouraged me. Thinking of my family helped me in a lonesome time like this and brought me a sense of hope, knowing that once this was over I would get the reward of going back to them.

So I wondered why he felt so sad when thinking about them. Maybe he missed them more than I thought.

“Do you think they’ll remember me?” He suddenly asked. “Do you think they’ll think back and remember they’re old pap?”

“Why, of course they will.” I reassured him. “How can children ever forget about their father?”

“I don’t know…” He said, his voice trailing. “I just get this feeling that they’ll forget about mean. It’s been a long time since I’ve been with them and you know how short the memory the young ones can be. After all this months, will they still remember me?”

“They’ll remember you.” I said firmly, hoping to keep his spirits up. “It may have been a long time but-“

The rest of my sentence was cut off when the distant pop of a rifle echoed in the air, as the crack of its bullet rung in my eras.

Acting on instinct, we both took cover and dropped to the ground. Lying flat on the dirt path, we looked ahead of us and pointed our weapons towards the direction of the sound, as more pops and bursts of fire shouted out from the distance, as bullets began landing all over our position.

Being in an open dirt trail wasn’t exactly the best position to be in a firefight and knowing this I began crawling towards a bush towards my right, hoping to seek refuge there and get better cover. But the enemy seemed to have a good sight of me as I went and moving on the ground only seemed to make me a target for them.

Bullets came by and riddled the ground around me, with many of them getting closer and closer with every shot. I was afraid that I wouldn’t make it to cover and I felt my heart racing for me.

But just as I was about to give up on crawling towards better cover, I noticed something odd.

Turning my head and looking up, and started on with shock as I noticed Camouflage standing before me, grinning madly as he held up his hoof and looked down on something he held with it. Lowering his hoof and showing it to me, I saw a spent bullet resting on it.

Giving him a confused glare, I told him to get down and take cover. But he just shook his head and continued to smile.

“Oh don’t worry about. Worry about yourself.” He told me. “This bullet here was meant for you.”

Staring at him as if he were a madpony, which at that point I was beginning to think he was, I continued to urge him to go down. But instead he ignored me once more and glanced towards the direction of the enemy.

“I think there’s another bullet meant for you coming this way…right about…now!”

With the speed and suddenness of lightning, he moved his hoof forward in a slapping motion, creating a loud cracking sound as he managed to hit something. Echoing in my ears and watching with shock, I looked on in disbelief, as I realized at what just happened.

Did he…did he just swat away that bullet?

Blinking my eyes and trying to find out if I just imagined what I saw, I was beginning to think that it didn’t really happen, when out of nowhere he did it again. Creating another cracking sound as he slapped another bullet away, he had delight and accomplishment plastered on his face as he continued to repeat this action over and over again.

“Now, I know this is real entertaining and all, partner, but it’s quite tiring.” He sudden told me. “So how about you go take cover on that bush you were planning to hide in, while I protect you as you go. Okay?”

“But…but…” I said, stammering in complete confusion. This was too unreal. This couldn’t be actually be happening.

“Oh, don’t you worry about me, I’ll be fine. You on the other hoof won’t, if you continue to stay here in such an exposed area. So move.”

Without awaiting a further word from this unbelievable pony, I began crawling towards the bush, as he continued to swat away those bullets that were supposed to be meant for me. It was quite a strange and impossible sight and I wondered if this was really happening. But I didn’t let my thoughts stall my from moving and soon enough I was safely behind the cover of the bush, digging in on a small depression behind it.

“Now, stay there and wait awhile.” Camouflage said, as he stood before me as bullets zipped pass him. “I’ll take care of those Zebras over there and I’ll call you when everything is clear.”

Looking at him with baffled eyes, I watched him trot away and disappear from my sight as the bush in front of me covered my line of sight.

Staring off at sky and ignoring the bullets that were cracking nearby, I began to wonder on whom exactly did I ended up with. What I saw was definitely real and it was also impossible. How could one just swipe a bullet like that? One would need to have a beyond normal eye to be able to spot a bullet in the air, as well as a hoof made out of titanium to be able to swat it without getting seriously injured.

Maybe my mind was just making this all up? Maybe it was just all my imagination.

Because of the rush of the moment and the adrenaline in my blood, I might be seeing things differently to what they were. It might be possible that my panicked mind invented such feats and such an idea did make more sense.

But no, I was sure at what I saw. I couldn’t possibly imagined such thing…

Hearing an odd crunching sound, I was forced to go away from my internal debate and turn my head towards the direction of the sound.

Strange… I thought. …it sounds like a tree falling.

Crawling gently forward and peering through the bush in front of me, I tried to look around and find the source of the strange sound. But as I gazed along the dirt path and located what I was looking for, I found something that brought more confusion to my earlier wondering.

It was amazing, yet was I seeing true?

From where I was, I could clearly see Camouflage lifting a tree off of the ground and swinging it off before tossing it towards the direction of the enemy fire. Flying far and landing just on target, the tree slammed onto the ground and most likely knocked out a couple of Zebras as it did, for the firing from that side began to lessen.

Now, it was hard enough for a good unicorn to lift a tree out of its roots and toss it as far as that, but for an earth pony to be able to do that, impossible! Sure, he was bigger and looked stronger than averge earth pony, but even he could simply pull a tree like that with ease and toss it away as if it were nothing.

Wide eyed and frozen, I watch him repeat this by picking up another tree and tossing it out again, doing the process over and over till the firing stopped completely.

There must be something more to him that he wasn’t showing.

I was beginning to doubt Camouflage’s identity and begin to wonder if he truly was an earth pony. Because from what I was seeing, he seemed more like an alicorn that just an ordinary earth pony.

Things were definitely not what they seemed to be.