• Published 30th Jul 2017
  • 1,315 Views, 60 Comments

Welcome to Vietnam, (un)fortunate pony - Bronycommander



Vietnam 1969. The Vietnam conflict rages on. Three Vietnamese brothers, fighting in the ARVN, NVA and VC have the same goal: Protect a lost filly

  • ...
5
 60
 1,315

Chapter 7 Home Sweet Home

Author's Note:

Warning: This chapter contains spoiler for the game Mafia 3. With that being said, enjoy!

Chapter 7: Home Sweet Home

With aching bodies, Petunia and Dung woke up, seeing that it was night, the battle seemingly over.

“Oh my…” Petunia stared in shock, seeing the plane wreck and dead bodies of both sides scattered everywhere.

“Don’t look.” Dung got up, covering her eyes. It was too dark to identify the bodies, he just prayed that his squad mates and brothers weren’t along the dead.

“Let’s get out of here.” The NVA soldier overcame the pain, gently taking Petunia on his arm, he and the young filly were apart from being covered in dusk, unharmed.

He walked away from the base, through the jungle, shining his flashlight around and listening intently. No explosions. Not even in the distance. They both wondered if the battle was really over. If so… Why didn’t the other NVA soldiers help them?

A cold breeze brushed against the foal’s fur, Paleo pressed herself against Dung to warm herself.

After a while of aimlessly walking through the endless jungle, a cracking sound rang in Petunia’s ears, she saw light in the distance, a mix of yellow and red, three dark silhouettes sitting around it. “Look.” She pointed with a hoof to it.

“Can’t tell if those are friendlies or not. I guess there is only one way to find it out.”

He walked slowly closer, stepping on a twig,unintentionally, getting the men’s attention.

Alerted, they sprang up, their weapons drawn. “Hold it!” One of them yelled in English, Dung could understand it due his former life in the South.

“Don’t shoot!” He replied in English, hoping they wouldn’t fire on him or Petunia.

One of them activated a flashlight. “Step into the light where we can see you!”

Dung did as told, Petunia shielded her eyes as the light blinded her.

“Petunia?” One of the voices asked confused, it was familiar too.

“Hoang?” She asked as Dung gently put her down.

Now fully visible, he saw an AVRN soldier and three US soldiers; Army, Marine and SOG operative.

“I thought you had died!” Hoang exclaimed relieved, as she ran to him, hugging his legs.

“No, your brothers saved me!” She replied, happy to see him again.

Hoang looked at the NVA soldier, he looked exactly like his older brother Dung. “Brother? Is that really you?” Hoang asked, not believing that his long lost brother stood before him.

Before any of them could say anything, there was another Snap! Of a twig.

The US soldiers turned around, seeing what appeared to be a young Viet Cong fighter, looking familiar to Hoang and Dung.

“Dang? You’re ok!” Petunia ran into him, hugging him tightly too.

“I’m happy to see you too.” He replied, the US soldiers lowering their weapons.

“Dang, I haven’t seen or heard from you for nine years.” Hoang said, smiling, without words, the three brothers embraced each other in a group hug, with tears of joy.

Petunia and the three Americans just smiled happy and proudly at the sight of them being reunited.

“I missed you so much!” Dung cried happily.

“We too!” His brothers replied.

“Wait a minute…How did you get to know them, Petunia?” The ARVN soldier asked her.

“Well, it’s kind of a long story.”

“Okay, let's talk. Weapons down, everybody. Let's just talk. We're all in the same mess right now, shooting at each other can wait till tomorrow?” The Marine suggested.

“Good idea. May I introduce King, Dan and Jesper to you?” Petunia turned to Dang and Dung.

“Pleasure.” The two brothers said before the filly told her friends what happened.

“You really have been through a lot. One more reason to get you to safety as soon as possible.” King commented, seeing that it was too dangerous for her to be here any longer.

“Agreed. Tell us, Hoang, how’s our mother?” Dang asked his older brother.

With a weak smile, he answered, “She’s doing well, but terribly misses you both. She doesn’t want to lose any of us.”

“I see. When I joined the NLF, I was a young fool, thinking I could reunite us by helping them. But I never thought I would make it worse.” The NLF fighter lowered his head.

“It’s okay. You thought you would do it for us, I don’t blame you, Dang. What brought father to all that?” Hoang asked his older brother.

“Neither do I, Dang. Father…” His voice had a hint of slight disgust and anger. “…brought me to Hanoi to begin a ‘better’ life, but for me, it was just pain and horror. They tortured me, trying to turn me into a communist. Our promise was keeping me strong. I hated and disgusted father for letting them do that to me. Father’s now a high ranking person in the government. Whenever I mentioned mother or any of you, he yelled at me that I should forget you, as you are mindless believers of the imperialistic regime and that I should be glad that he had ‘freed’ me.”

Hoang could understand it, but yet, for some reason, he couldn’t hate his father for that, he just couldn’t.

“I kind of liked father...” His brothers stared at him, not believing what he said. “Yeah, I know what he's done but...I remember what he was like before all this. He could be stern, he could be grouchy but...I remember him smiling. I remember once, he taught me how to play the Bien Khanh. It was a surprise for mother's birthday. We were going to practice those Buddhist symphonies she liked. He was a...hard master. Gave me that look whenever I played a flat note or missed a beat, folding his arms, shaking his head, you know the look. But...when I finally did it right, I remember that smile. And I remember that smile all through the song I played to mother. And then, when she insisted I just play Happy Birthday, he chuckled, and we played it together...”

He sighed as Dung and Dang looked at each other.

“I know he's become...different, but...Dung, you can't keep on seeing him as some demon you have to ward away. He's just as damaged by this war as us, he just dealt with it differently. And you know...I don't think there'd be anything wrong with just talking to him. Yelling at him is like yelling at a stone wall, it's not going to make any difference. But if you just sit down and talk with him...like how mother used to do...It could work.”

“Yeah…War brings out the worst of all of us. Maybe it could work, it’s worth a try.” Dung let out a sigh.

“Can you do me and Dung a favor? Send our mother our regards when you see her again?” Dang asked Hoang.

“Sure, I can do that.”

“You all three have been through something no family should be. I pray for all of you that you survive this war and can live a happy life.” The foal gave the brothers a tight hug, showing her sympathy for them.

“And we must thank you, Petunia. Thanks to you, we are reunited after nine years, even if it’s a short moment. The brothers said in unison.

She blushed. “You are welcome.” Then she let out a yawn, showing how tired she was.

"You should catch some sleep, it was an exhausting day for you.” Jesper said, finding it cute as she snuggled against Hoang, falling asleep.

After a while of watching the stars, they all fell asleep.

In the next morning, Paleo awoke as someone gently shook her shoulder. “Petunia, time to wake up.” It was Hoang.

“Good morning!” She greeted happy, noticing that Dung and Dang were gone.

“Morning, my dear. My brothers left, but they will never forget you. You helped us to ease our common anxiety of killing each other, as I know they’re still alive and the other way around.”

“You’re welcome!” She exclaimed happy before a loud noise filled the sky.

A Loach was flying over them, the soldiers waved to get its attention. It made a maneuver of turning around, titling its front forward to show that the pilot had seen them.

Within a few minutes, a Huey Slick arrived at their position and landed, allowing them to get onboard.

The chopper brought them back to their base, where a medic checked the soldiers for injuries. It turned out that he used to be a vet before joining the military and checked also Petunia for injuries, promising to keep her presence secret.

“Good news, apart from a few bruises, you’re fine, same goes for your friends. If you get hurt, you know where to find me.”

“Thank you, doc.” She appreciated it.

“Well, my leave begins tomorrow, I suggest you kill the time until then. Hoang, why don’t you visit your mother? I’m sure she will be happy to see you,” King suggested.

“Good idea. Want to come too, petty?”

Petunia nodded before asking, “Petty?”

“A nickname for you we thought of. Do you like it?” Hoang asked her, a little bit ashamed.

She grinned. “Of course I do!”

“Glad you like. The village isn’t far, about twenty or thirty minutes by car. Hop in.” Hoang got into the driver seat of a M151, starting the engine.

She climbed on the passenger seat. “Have a pleasant trip!” The US soldiers said together as Hoang drove out of the base, turning the radio on, it played Canned Heat - On the Road Again.

Petunia enjoyed the ride, seeing the jungle.

After a while, the village was insight, The ARVN soldier parked the car outside, the villagers, young and old came to greet him, not noticing his young passenger.

“Welcome back home, Hoang!” They all said in unison.

“Thank you. It’s nice to be home again.”

“Who’s your friend?” One of the villagers asked, pointing to Petunia, the filly was visibly nervous from the attention they gave her.

“It’s a long story, but I would like to see my mother first.”

The villagers nodded, stepping aside, the filly followed Huang to a house at the other end of the village, knocking on the door.

An elderly woman with light grey hair and brown eyes opened the door. “Hoang! How nice to see you again!” They hugged each other, the young filly smiled at the happy sight.

“Hello again, mother. It’s been so long.”

“Indeed, it has. Have you heard anything about your brothers? And…who’s your little friend?”

“Long story, can we please talk about everything ver a cup of tea and a bowl rice inside?”

“Of course, my son.”

Inside, Hoang told his mother how he found Petunia, where she came from and how she met his brothers, also telling what happened to father. His mother had sympathy for the young foal.

“You poor child. You really don’t deserve to be here.”

“I know, Ms. Binh, but your sons took good care of me.” Petunia replied.

“I appreciate your politeness, but Hoa is just fine. I really can’t believe that father has so changed. He was so polite and friendly when I first met him and now…he’s so serious and stern, taking one of our children away and letting them t-torture him….how could he get so mean?” She wondered with a mix of sadness and anger.

“I don’t know, but Dang and Dung still care for you. They just want it to be over as you and I.” Hoang replied.

“Yet, he took our children to a place where he believed they would be safe and strong. In a way, we're not all that different. When you meet Dung again, would you give him a message from me?”

“Sure, mother, what is it?” He grabbed a notebook and waited for what his mother would say.

“I know you've lost a lot of love and faith in your father. I did too when all this madness began. But understand that what he's put you through is very much the same as he was put through at your age. We tried to keep together, heavens know we tried. The war changed him and not for the better...But I won't lie and say it didn't change me. I regret not simply talking to him and working this out...And you will too if this goes on too long, you can trust your mother on that.”

“Okay, I have everything written down. I will give it to him should I see him again.”

“Mind if I take some fresh air?” Petunia asked politely.

“Not at all, sweetheart.” Hoa smiled at the foal.

For some reason, the word about the little filly flew around. It didn’t take long until Petunia played tag with the children in the village, having much fun.

“I’m proud of you, Hoang. You did the right thing helping her.”

He looked out of the window, smiling as she was happy. “I know and I’m proud. I just hope that her parents find her quickly, she has seen more than she should of this terrible war.”

“Yes, my son. No matter how this war goes, I will be always with you.” His mother smiled.

In the evening, Hoa made some rice for her guest, Petunia enjoyed it very much.

“That was delicious!” she exclaimed before yawning.

“Glad to hear it. You should catch some sleep so you’re fit for your journey to the USA.”

“Yes, Hoa.” She followed Hoang to the guest room, where he tucked her in.

“Sweet dreams.”

Hoang’s mother looked at the sleeping filly. “She’s looking like an Angel.”

“Yes she does, mother. And I will do anything I can to make sure she gets home, safe and sound.” He would do anything to keep her alive, even if it meant his own life.

“That’s the spirit.” His mother replied with pride.

They went into their own beds, Hoang had almost forgotten how comfortable a normal bed was.

In the morning, Petunia was awoken by the beautiful morning sun shining in, stretching and yawn.

Hoang walked in with a bowl of rice. “Good morning, I made you breakfast.” He greeted in his friendly voice.

“Thank you.” The filly enjoyed it with a smile.

“Glad to hear it.”

As they walked out, Hoa called out, “Have a nice trip!”

Hoang drove the filly back to the base where King already waited.

“Morning, sweetheart, slept well?” He asked her.

“Of course!” She exclaimed happily.

He smiled. “Glad to hear it.”

It didn’t take long until a plane landed to bring the soldiers home. Despite their attempts to keep Petunia’s presence secret, somehow the other soldiers got aware of her.

To her and her friends’ surprise, the others were not shocked, they had sympathy for her, telling that they would protect her,

The filly thanked them, getting onboard the plane. “Have a nice stay!” Hoang, Jesper and Dan waved with smiles as the plane started to move forward, climbing into the sky.

“It’s a long ride, you better catch some rest, Petunia.” King suggested with a smile, looking forward to seeing his family again, listing to The Box Tops - The Letter.

“Okay.” Paleo closed her eyes, taking a nap, enjoying the ride, as she leaned back into the seat, the hearts of all soldiers melting at the cute sight.

Around noon, the plane arrived at an airport, they took the next train to King’s hometown.

As they got out, King announced proudly, “Welcome to New Bordeaux, Petunia. A city on the Gulf Coast of the United States. It is known for its round-the-clock nightlife, vibrant live-music scene, and spicy, singular cuisine. With ten districts featuring a mixture of ethnicities, the city is a true melting pot of French, Irish, Haitian, African, and American cultures.”

After he had said this, a red Berkley Country Sedan stopped in front of them, a woman with black hair and blue eyes along with two children, a boy with blue eyes and black hair, and a girl with brown hair and green eyes got out.

“Daddy!” The kids hugged him happy.

“I missed you too, children.” King returned the hug, smiling.

“Ethan, welcome back.” His wife kissed him, Petunia smiled at the sight, happy for him to be reunited with his family.

“It’s nice to see you again, Emily. And you too, Lara and Liam.”

“Say…who’s this?” His wife pointed to Petunia, confused. The filly waved friendly at her.

“Petunia Paleo. It’s a long story, can I tell you this at home?”

“Sure, my dear.”

“Hello, Mrs. King.” Petunia greeted, causing the mother and her children to take a step back.

“Did she…just talk?” Emily asked.

“Yes. As I said, a long story, it’ll better if I explain this at home.” He replied a little bit embarrassed.

This didn’t prevent his children to introduce themselves to Petunia with a hint of curiosity.

“Hello, Petunia, I’m Liam, this is my sister Lara.” The young boy smiled at her.

The filly gave him her hoof for a shake. “Pleasure.”

Then they got into Emily’s car and drove to their home in Downtown, the kids had a happy conversation, the radio played Jimi Hendrix – All along the Watch Tower.

“Ever since we got your telegram about going home, I couldn’t help but worry about you, like ‘what if the plane crashes?’ What if the train’s delayed?’ ‘What if they call you back?’ And so on. I can still remember, every night on the TV, right after the news they showed the names of the men killed over there in Vietnam. I saw the list scroll by, praying that your name won’t show up.” His wife explained.

Ethan smiled at her. “But it never did. Nothin’ happened to me.”

Paleo enjoyed the view of the city, seeing how a policeman to her right wrote a ticket to a driver who had been speeding.

Finally at Ethan’s home, the earth pony was smiling happy at the furnishings of the house. A telephone and radio were in the living room, plus a TV. “Nice place you have here.”

“Thank you. Why don’t you make yourself comfortable while I make lunch?” Emily suggested.

His kids turned the radio on, it played Elvis Presley - A Little Less Conversation.

The three children danced together to the music while Ethan and Emily were making Veggies as lunch.

“Now, tell me, how did you find her and where is she from?” Emily asked, curious.

“Well…” He told his wife how he and Hoang found her in the jungle and through what had she been so far.

With a sad expression, Emily looked at the happy foal. “Poor child. But I’m so proud of you.”

“I couldn’t leave her there.”

His wife kissed him. “You did the right thing. I feel sorry for her and Hoang and his brothers.”

Then they had lunch, Petunia enjoyed every bite with a big grin.“Delicious! You’re a good cook!”

The mother blushed at the compliment. “Thank you.”

Ethan took the moment to explain Petunia’s origin to his children. They had sympathy with her.

“Sorry to hear what happened to you. We will do anything we can to make sure your stay is comfortable,” The siblings spoke together.

“Appreciated.” Petunia replied.

“I have an idea. How about we show you the landmarks of New Bordeaux?” The mother suggested.

The filly smiled. “I would love that.”

And so, the King family showed her the landmarks of the city, like the Anderson Bay Lighthouse, the Baron Saturday's Fun Park, the Cleavon Duvall State Park, the Eaglehurst Plantation and the General's Circle.

The filly enjoyed the tour, it was already evening when they got home.

After enjoying a delicious dinner, the young filly yawned, showing how tired she was. “That was fun.”

“Yes, it was. We have a guest room, you should get some rest.” King tucked her in, she smiled at the teddy bear on the guest bed, hugging it tightly. “Sweet dreams.” He couldn’t help himself but to kiss her on the forehead.

As he went to his own bed, his wife kissed him. “I love you.”

Returning it, smiling, he replied, “I love you too.”


In the morning, Petunia woke up, stretching herself as Lara and Liam came in, the girl was carrying a Breakfast Board with a bowl of oatmeal and a glass of juice on it.

“Good morning, Petunia, we made you breakfast.” They spoke together.

“Good morning and thank you.” The filly enjoyed her breakfast, smiling.

“You’re welcome.” The girl was happy to see that their guest enjoyed it.

They walked out of the guest room, seeing that Ethan and Emily were still asleep.

“I have an idea. How about we make breakfast for them?” Petunia suggested, the siblings nodded.

Emily and her husband woke up as a wonderful smell came out of the kitchen. Petunia and the siblings walked in. They carried Breakfast Boards with toasts and two glasses of juice on them in. “Thanks, children.” The woman was pleased by such a nice act.

“That was delicious.” Ethan had enjoyed it.

His wife checked the fridge, noticing they were short of milk. “We’re short of milk, can you buy some, Ethan?”

“Sure thing, want to come too, Petunia?”

She grinned, “With pleasure!”

Ethan switched to his standard issue jacket and jeans as he led Paleo to his personal car, a red Eckhart Champion.

On the way, the filly saw what seemed to be an anti-war protest, people were waving signs with that said ‘Welcome home, god bless you’ and ‘Get out of Vietnam!’ just to call a few.

While driving to the Central Market, the filly heard a siren in the distance, appearing to come from behind. It grew louder and louder.

Looking behind, she saw a police car with turned on siren coming from behind. “Hey, a police car's coming.”

“Okay, I think I'll slow down then.” Ethan pulled over, so the police could drive through without problems.

“And there's another police car...And another...” The filly’s eyes widened with dread. “And another and another and another...” She counted over twenty police cars speeding past them.

“Wonder why they need so many.” Petunia commented.

“Probably backup for a major crime, I suppose. The New Bordeaux Police Department is known to be very…serious of any crime to put it lightly.” Ethan explained with a slight hint of fear.

With a little delay, they reached the Central Market, buying what they needed. Petunia was a little bit shy at first, afraid how the people would react, Ethan had already an idea, he pretended she was his daughter in a costume, which seemed to work as the people smiled at the filly, commenting how cute and well made her “Costume” was.

After everything was loaded into the Eckhart Champion, the young father gave the filly some chocolate, which she enjoyed.

Angry yells echoed in their ears, they both wondered what was going on, as the yells were incomprehensible.

Then, King’s eyes widened in fear. It was a protest against the Civil Rights Movement, waving signs with ‘Blacks out!’ ‘Round them up!’ and other signs, shouting angrily, “Niggers out!” The police tried to keep it under control, but the angry mob pushed them back, throwing stones and bottles at the cops who covered their heads, some were stomping on police officers that were lying on the ground, while some officers did the same to some of the protesters.

“We better get out of here!” Ethan yelled slightly in panic, knowing that such protesters were unpredictable.

A small group separated from the protesters, heading towards King and Paleo as they got into the car.

The engine wasn’t starting. “Come on!” Ethan begged frantically, noticing that the group came closer, the child trembling in fear.

One of the angry men opened the door, dragging Ethan out of his car. “Where do you think you’re going, Nigger lover?!” The man tried to punch Ethan, he blocked it, punching the man back.

“Excuse me?! Watch your mouth!” King countered.

“You don’t get it! Every one of these niggers needs to be round up and shot!Take a look around. There's a goddamn war goin' on!” The protester yelled angrily.

The small group tried to beat King up, but due to his experience in the war and training, he could easily defend himself, the protest had escalated into a street war, police and protesters fought each other with batons and hands.

Scared by that violence, Petunia took a step back. “Run, get to safety!” Ethan yelled as he punched a protester into the face, making him stumble.

She obeyed without hesitating, running away from the fight.

“After her!” A very angry voice echoed in her ears.

Aimlessly, she took turns through the alleys until she came to a dead end, seeing several shadows approaching from behind. No, no, no!

It were three boys from the angry mob.

“You thought you could escape from us? WRONG, you coward!” One of them yelled at her.

“Please don’t hurt me! I didn’t do anything!” She pleaded, trembling in fear.

One of them cracked his knuckles. “I’m going to enjoy this.”

The filly closed her eyes, waiting for the pain.

“Beating up a defenseless child? Not in my town!” A fourth voice shouted.

Slowly opening her eyes, she saw that the boys had turned around, a man with black hair, brown eyes and the same color as Dan faced them, looking not too pleased. He was wearing the same clothes as Ethan.

“Leave her alone. I won’t say it again.” He ordered, his voice slightly aggressive.

“Or what? Get lost, Nigger!” The leader of them yelled, raising his fist.

“Bad move.” The man replied, delivering several punches in quick succession, making the boy stumble before head-butting him 3 times, making the boy fall on his back, knocked out.

The second boy stepped back with a hint of fear before trying a desperate punch, the man ducked, then grabbed the boy by the throat, lifting him up before slamming him into the ground, knocking him out too. The third was now in a complete state of fear, trembling as the soldier came closer.

The experienced man performed the same move as with the second boy, knocking the last one out too.

Petunia had her eyes closed, trembling. She flinched as a hand touched her fur.

Slowly opening her eyes again, Petunia saw that the man was kneeling, holding out a hand, showing he meant no harm.

“Thank you.” The filly was grateful as he helped her up. What’s your name?”

“Lincoln. Lincoln Clay.” He smiled.

“Petunia Paleo.” The foal introduced herself.

“Pleasure. Let’s get out of here.”

As they walked out, a police officer crossed their way, discovering the knocked out boys. “Crime in progress! Send backup!”He drew his pistol, firing at Clay, bullets flew past the child, she screamed as Lincoln picked her up, fleeing out of the alley to his personal car.

Without a word, he put her on the passenger seat, getting on the driver seat and fastening the seat belt as several police sirens echoed in the distance.

“All available units, suspicious individual on foot. Officers investigating.” The dispatch informed.

As Clay started the engine, about a dozen police cars chased him, the officers opened fire, his passenger screaming in fear.

He drove aimlessly through the streets, taking random turns to shake off the police, but they stayed on his tail.

On a straight road, the police had set up a roadblock. “Watch out, a roadblock!” Petunia yelled in fear as he headed straight forward it.

“I got this!” Spotting a construction side with a ramp next to the roadblock, he used it to jump over it, the cops crashed into their roadblock, creating a multiple collision.

The officers got out of their cars, shooting ineffectively at the fleeing car.

“Responding units, visual contact with suspect lost.”

Clay raced down the road for a minute before the dispatch radioed in again. “All units, pursuit is called off, abandon search and return to patrols. Repeat, pursuit is called off, abandon search and return to patrols.”

“They lost us.” Petunia breathed heavily from the adrenaline, trying to calm down.

“Yes, that’s the NBPD, shoot first and ask questions later. Are you hurt?” Lincoln asked, worried about her, slowing down his car.

She checked herself. “I’m fine.”

The radio started to playThe Bobby Fuller Four - I Fought the Law.

Smiling upon hearing the song, the veteran starting to sing, “I fought the law…and the law lost!” with a little laugh.

While enjoying the song, the filly asked “Where are you heading? Can you bring me home, my friends will be worried.”

“Sure thing, Petunia. But I still have something to do before I can bring you home.”

“That’s fine for me, as long as it doesn’t take too long.” The filly replied, not minding it at all.

Clay drove through all districts of the town, stopping at two buildings in every district, getting out of the car, into the building, then came out, Petunia waited in the car.

By the time everything was done, the sun began to set.

“I suggest you rest the night at my place and tomorrow, I bring you home, okay?” the man said, Petunia just yawned.

They drove to a bar, Paleo read the sign on the roof. Sammy's Bar.

The filly was impressed by the furnishings, the bar featured a live Jazz band, a fully staffed kitchen, an outdoor smoking patio, and a game room with billiards and darts.

The guests and staff were too busy to notice her as she followed Clay upstairs to a guest room, tucking her in and bringing her dinner.

“Thank you for your hospitality, Mr. Clay.” Petunia was grateful after she had dined.

With a smile, he replied, “You’re welcome and Lincoln is just fine. If you need something, I’m in the basement.”

“Okay, goodnight, Lincoln.” Paleo fell asleep, hoping that the Kings weren’t too worried about her.

In the next morning, she breakfasted together with Clay, telling her backstory.

“Sorry to hear what happened to you. Glad to hear that Ethan’s still alive and well.” He smiled lightly. “We served some time together in Vietnam, becoming good friends. After I got home, I prayed he would too in one piece.”

“Well, time for a meeting, isn’t it?” Petunia grinned.

“Guess you’re right.” He walked with her to his personal car, a black Samson Drifter. Upon getting in and putting the seatbelts on, he started the engine and with squealing tires raced towards Downtown, Petunia raised her hooves like in a roller coaster, grinning, the radio played Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild.

Arriving at their destination, Lincoln used the doorbell, Emily opened the door. “Yes, how can I help you?”

“Hello Mrs. King, I assume you are missing someone?” he stepped aside, revealing a very happy Petunia.

“Petunia! Thank god, you’re okay!” The woman exclaimed happily before hugging Clay. “Thank you!”

“No need to thank me, ma’am, I did only what I knew was right. Plus to visit an old friend.”

“Then, come in.”

They stepped inside, the siblings were glad to see Petunia again, hugging her. “We were so worried about you!” they both exclaimed.

“I’m fine, thanks to Mr. Clay.” She pointed to him, he waved with a smile, the kids returned it.

“Lincoln Clay, it’s been a long time since we saw each other.” Ethan said, stretching his hand out for a handshake which turned into a friendly hug.

“I missed you too, Ethan.” The kids smiled at the warm reunion between old friends.

Then, they celebrated and talked for the rest of the day. In the evening, the kids played in the living room while the adults enjoyed some wine in the kitchen, the radio played The Animals - House of the Rising Sun.

“It’s really nice to see you again, safe and sound, Ethan. You haven’t changed a bit since we saw each other back in 1965.”

“Yeah, it’s nice to see you again too. While I can’t say I’m proud of you for being a mafia boss, I’m glad that you took care of the leading crime family one year ago, making this city a lot better. I’m honored to know you.” Ethan said to him.

“If he killed your family, would you did the same?” Lincoln countered.

“Maybe.” was Ethan’s reply.

“Honey, take a look at that.” His wife said with a smile as she looked into the living room. Their hearts melted at what they saw.

The kids, including Petunia, were asleep on the ground, a crumpled picture in the filly’s hooves.

It was a picture of her parents. Her mother had a turquoise coat, dark blue mane and green eyes and a clam with a sparkling pearl inside as Cutie Mark. Her father had a light golden coat, blue mane and matching eyes and two crossed fencing swords as Cutie Mark. “I miss you.” stood above them.

Emily hung the picture up on the fridge before she tucked her children in and her husband brought Petunia to bed.

“It’s heartbreaking how she missed her parents.” Emily suppressed a tear.

“Agreed but she’s save with us. I admit she’s grown on me.” Ethan replied.

“And everyone who wants to harm her has to go through me.” Clay promised.

“We appreciate it. You can have the couch.” Emily offered.

“I will take the basement.” Lincoln politely declined the offer. The married couple could tell that Clay’s war experiences scarred him mentally and physically, leaving him unable to sleep soundly, most likely suffering from PTSD.

They went into their own bed. “It’s so nice to have you back, my dear.” Ethan’s wife kissed him before they fell asleep.

Time passed. Lincoln regularly visited the Kings, spending time with them, Petunia and Ethan were pleased every time. The filly helped out in the house as good as she could, having much fun with Lara and Liam. Lincoln told the Kings Petunia reminded him of a young white girl he had a crush on when he was ten.

Sometimes, they did trips to the park together, the intolerant boys didn’t bother them again.

Once, the Kings went with Petunia to a dinner, Lincoln joined shortly after, the owner warned him that, “This shop’s whites only, boy.” only to cut himself off when he saw that it was Lincoln.

Clay just asked, “Care to correct yourself, sir?” with a stern tone, causing the owner to reply that Lincoln was always welcome here.

Eventually, Ethan had to go back to Vietnam, Petunia could stay with his family.

“Be careful out there, Ethan.” Petunia gave him a goodbye hug.

He stroked her mane. “I will, petty.” Then he went onboard the plane, heading for Vietnam once again.

It made her sad that he had to leave again. She had enjoyed her time with his family.

“There is that little brat!” Someone yelled as she was about to go back. Turning around, she was shocked, walking back in fear as it were the three boys who had tried to beat her up.

“This time, your nigger friend won’t help you! Get her!” The leader yelled, one of the two the boys charged at her. In self-defense, she bucked him as hard a she could into the gut, causing him to stumble, giving her a chance to run.

The terrified filly came to what seemed an open door to a small storage room, she got in, closing the door behind her.

Paleo held her breath as the boys ran past her.

She let out a sigh of relief as they were gone.

Out of the sudden, she felt how the “Storage room” started to move.

What the? She wondered, inspecting the cargo. Food, medical supplies, ammo, headed for Vietnam.

Then she felt how the “Cargo room” went slight upwards, making her realize that she was on a cargo plane. “Well… it can’t get worse than this, can it?” She mumbled, knowing that she couldn’t get out until the plane would land.


The plane with King landed on an aircraft carrier, as he had to switch to a helicopter to make the rest of the trip.

Hoang, Dan and Jesper waited for him. “Nice to see you again, I hope your leave was relaxing.” Hoang greeted him.

“Of course it was. Even met an old friend of mine.” He smiled at the memories.

A cargo plane landed with supplies, the group walked past it to get to the Huey that would bring them to the base.

“H-hello? Someone there?” A young frightened voice came out of the plane, the soldiers recognizing it instantly.

Opening the door, the filly jumped into King’s arms.

“Petunia? What are you doing here?” He asked, confused.

“T-the boys you wanted to beat me up found me! I hid in the plane, not knowing it would fly to Vietnam!” she explained, scared that she might get killed again.

“Shh, calm down. Guess Lincoln has to teach them another lesson. We send you back with the next transport, I don’t want to put you into danger.”

“I’m afraid this won’t be simple. As far as I know, there won’t be any flight back to the USA for the next twenty-four hours, the only option left is to take her to base.” Dan replied, not liking it.

“Damn it. Anyway, inform my family about her, so they know where she is.” King said to Jesper, who nodded.

“Right away!” The SOG operative left for the radio room.

After he had done this, they got into the Huey, the flight cheered Petunia a little bit up, enjoying the view, the radio played Creedence Clearwater Revival - Run Through the Jungle.

“So, what are our orders?” King asked Dan.

“Well, we have order to capture hill 937 as part of the operation to destroy NVA Base Areas in the remote A Shau Valley, as it had been an infiltration route into South Vietnam prior to 1966. I overhead the plan: The Marines have order to reconnaissance in force toward the Laotian border while the ARVN units cut the highway through the base of the valley. If heavy resistance is met, we shall call in air support, destroying the enemy in their own operating areas and block escape routes into Laos. We are likely to encounter serious resistance. If a US Battalion should discover a North Vietnamese unit, orders are to fix it in place until a reinforcing battalion lifts in to cut off its retreat and destroy it.”

“Sounds like a good plan, if it works is another question.” Hoang commented.

Suddenly, a warning tone rang in their ears. “Incoming!” the pilot shouted as a missile flew towards the chopper, Petunia looked at it in fear, her pupils small.

The impact knocked them all over, Petunia was close to the door, getting thrown out of the Huey with a scream.

“Petunia!” Hoang yelled, trying to get to the door, but as the Huey spun out of control, he got thrown to the other side due the G-force.

“Help!” She screamed, barely holding for dear life on the leg of the chopper with one hoof.

“Coming!” Hoang got up, trying to reach the other side but got thrown around, the others too.

“I’m slipping!” Petunia yelled, losing her grip.

This time, Hoang managed to grab the seat next to the door, pulling himself to the open door.

“I can’t hold on much longer!” The filly yelled.

She lost her grip, in that moment, the AVRN soldier managed to grab her hoof, pulling her up, the others had managed to get a steady grip themselves, assisting him.

Once pulled in, Hoang clenched her protectively as the chopper went down.

They blacked out upon impact.