• Published 29th Jul 2017
  • 306 Views, 2 Comments

The Enigma of Indigo Moon - IndigoMoon



Indigo Moon and his friends traverse Equestria at the behest of Princess Celestia, unaware of the evil lurking under their noses.

  • ...
 2
 306

Chapter 2

Chapter 2
March 22nd, 1007 C.R.



We popped into existence inside my office, which was empty, thankfully. I grabbed my saddlebag, which was empty except for a few mementos, like a spell scroll from Gaia, a pen, a notebook, and a small bag of bits. Gaia never actually brought anything with her, like normal, except for an empty knapsack she wore under her cloak. After we grabbed our things, Gaia grabbed my hoof and sent back to the future.



We appeared back in the hallway in front of Daring, startling her. “How long were we gone?” I asked. She waved a hoof from side-to-side. “About 3, 4 seconds,” she said. I nodded in acknowledgement. “Now we go to the train station.”



We had managed to catch the 3 p.m. train just before it left, and managed to snag one of the private cars, probably because of Daring being A.K. Yearling. We sat at across from one another while Gaia sat on the ceiling, playing with one of the light fixtures as an awkward silence filled the car. Daring had leaned back in her chair with her hat slid over her eyes. To try and learn more about the mare I would be spending quite some time with, I cast a quick spell, and asked,



"So... you're actually Daring Do, huh?"



She lifted her hat to glare at me with one eye, silently telling me to shut up.



I pointed to my horn, which was glowing with an azure blue aura. "Bubble of silence," I said. She pulled her hat from her face and sat up slightly. "Yeah, I'm actually Daring Do. And before you ask, kid, that means all the stuff that happened in books did actually happen."



I leaned back in my own seat slightly, nodding. "Cool. Anything else I should know about you?" I asked.



Daring's eyes narrowed slightly. "Somepony's quite curious, aren't they?"



"Well, we are going to be traversing the country together for Celestia knows how long. Well, actually, she doesn’t, but you know what I mean."



Daring nodded. "True. Well, I have been told that I am a bit brash, but smart. I can think my way around almost any puzzle, but I have also been told I can act without thinking, choosing rather to just 'Run in and punch stuff', to quote Caballeron. I don't typically like working with others, or receiving help because I typically can't trust others, but a friend of mine taught me that letting ponies help isn't always a bad thing. I spend most of my time either treasure-hunting while stopping Caballeron and/or Ahuizotl in the process, or writing my books."



I nodded. "Huh. Sounds like you lead an interesting life."



Daring smiled. "Yeah. Interesting is certainly the word for it. Well then, since I told you about me, what's your story."



"Oh. Well, uh... you don't want to hear about me," I said.



"C'mon," Daring said, leaning over to punch my shoulder. "You did say you wanted to get to know me better since we'll be travelling together. Now it's your turn."



I sighed in compliance. "Fine. I am the Head of the Magical Experimentation Division in Canterlot, mostly because of all the "what-if"s I kept asking Celestia and Twilight. When I'm not working with magic, you can typically find me at home, either writing or drawing at my desk, or sitting in my chair with a book. I have also been told that I am smart, but quite a few ponies have described me as either loud, weird, annoying, or all the above. I am very quirky and don't typically fit in with what are considered "normal" ponies. I like to pride myself on my loyalty to my friends, but I can sometimes follow blindly. Uh... I'm not particularly brave, but if push comes to shove, I have my moments. And that pretty much covers it."



Daring nodded before looking up at Gaia, who’d curled up like a cat on the ceiling and proceeded to take a nap. “What about Miss Perfect over there?” She asked. I scoffed, “Oh, she’s hardly perfect. She can’t do much magic for one. Less than a typical unicorn, in fact. The only magic she can do well is levitation, but she’s an artist, so it’s essential for her to be good at that. Plus, she can absentminded and forgetful. And as much as doesn’t like them, she has moments where she acts like Guardians, as in she can be crass at times, not to mention she can be quite childish and easily offended. But despite her less-than-favorable traits, she can be quite brave and resourceful. But most of all, she has a good heart. So that has to count for something.”



Daring looked like she was about to comment, but was interrupted when the train lurched to a stop and the conductor shouted, "EVERYONE FOR PONYVILLE!!!"



Gaia woke with a start and fell from the ceiling as Daring and I gathered our things and departed the train. Gaia quickly darted after us after regaining her balance. We stood out on the platform as the train began admitting ponies who were head out of town. I noticed Gaia was getting some odd looks, but was ignored for the most part, and having seen what other things had been in Ponyville, I knew Gaia wasn’t the weirdest thing ponies had seen.



“Come on,” I said. “There’s something we need to do before we go find our animal expert.” I walked off the station and into the town, with Daring and Gaia trailing along.



"So, where are we going?" asked Daring as I led her through the town. Gaia was bouncing around town looking at all the stands and shops with the same fascination and wonder of a filly, despite the fact this wasn’t her first visit to the heart of Equestria.



"To get you a new disguise," I replied. I reached an arm out and managed to catch Gaia as she tried to run by.



“Gaia, I need you to go to the post office and get a map of Equestria, as I forgot to grab mine in Canterlot. I need you to be serious about this, and don’t get distracted,” I reached into my bag and pulled out a couple of bits. “Take these and go buy the map. DON’T buy anything else, and once you’ve bought the map, meet us at Carousel Boutique. Okay?” Gaia raised a hoof to her forehead in salute. “You got it, boss!” And with that, she trotted off to her destination.



“Seriously? You’re making me get a disguise in a boutique?! With fancy dresses and stuff?” cried Daring. I smiled and shook my head. “No, I’m not going to force you into a dress, as funny as that would be. The owner does happen to have big hats and cloaks or capes or whatever.”



We turned a corner to see the Boutique sitting on the row in all its glory. We walked up to the door, and I knocked. A small white filly, with a curly pink-and-purple mane opened the door. “Hello, Sweetie Belle,” I said. “Is Rarity in right now?”



Sweetie Belle shook her head. “Sorry, Mister Indigo, but she’s in Manehatten with Coco Pommel right now. Did you need anything?”



“Yes,” I said, nodding. “I need a cloak and hat for my friend here, and I might just browse.”



“Ok,” said Sweetie Belle as she opened the door to admit us inside. “Follow me, miss…”



Daring glanced around nervously as she tried to quickly think of a name that wouldn’t reveal herself as either Daring Do or A.K. Yearling. Her eyes landed on a yellow-and-grey striped scarf. “Miss… uh, SCARF! Yeah, Miss Scarf.”



“Ok,” said Sweetie Belle happily. “Follow me, Miss Scarf!” Sweetie led Daring into the back as I rummaged through the interesting clothes bin, AKA the clearance bin. As I rummaged around, I found a faded jacket. It was plaid, with various shades of grey and blue. I also found, much to my delight, a fez and a cowpony hat. I snagged both hats quick as I could, along with the scarf Daring had used a scapegoat. As I looked around the store, I spotted a green-ish cloak on one of the ponequins, and grabbed that too. As Daring hadn’t returned yet, I sat down on a couch and waited.



A couple minutes later, Gaia walked in and sat down next to me, leaning her head on my shoulder and handed me the map. “You know,” I began, recalling Gaia’s words from earlier. “I’m not your boss.” Gaia tilted her head to look up at me. “Technically speaking,” she said with a smile, “you are my boss. You are the leader, are you not?” I wobbled my head side-to-side. “I suppose if you look at it like that. I like to think we are all equal, and we all have something to offer that will help us on our adventure.” Gaia sighed. “I suppose you are right,” she conceded. Gaia closed her eyes and began to doze on my shoulder.



A few moments later, Daring came back out wearing a blue cloak, and a big sun hat, along with her glasses. She didn’t look to happy about her outfit, so I decided to just assume it was the best she could find, and not question it. I woke Gaia up as I got up and walked over to the counter. “Hi Gaia,” said Sweetie Belle. “Hi- *yawn*, Sweetie Belle,” replied Gaia.



“How much?” I asked Sweetie Belle. Sweetie went over to the register and picked up a piece of paper. She repeatedly glanced up at all the clothes hanging in my magic, and Daring’s clothes, then back down at the paper. “Oh, uh... the hats and jacket were in the clearance bin, if that helps,” I said. Sweetie nodded. She began muttering under her breath: “Okay we have…. 6 bits for the…. And then 20 for… carry the 2… divide by three... Okay! Your grand total is 50 bits.” I dug into my saddlebag and dug out the required money. After counting out the coins, I hoofed them over to Sweetie, who stuck them in the cash register, closing it with a *DING!* She picked up her paper and read off it like a script: “Thank you for shopping at Carousel Boutique, and have a fabulous day. Come back soon!”



She waved us off as we walked out the Boutique and back into town. “How do you two know that filly?” Daring asked as we walked. “Sweetie Belle? I met her awhile back,” I said. “Her sister, Rarity, was visiting Canterlot with Princess Twilight, and Sweetie Belle tagged along. While Rarity went to check up on her boutique in Canterlot, Twilight and Sweetie Belle stopped by the M.E.D. to see what we were working on. I gave the pair of them the tour and we stopped by Gaia’s station and watched her work for a while. Sweetie thought it was great, and Princess Twilight seemed to enjoy it too.”

As we trotted through town, I led Gaia and Daring down Sugarcube Road. Daring immediately pointed to the building that looked like a giant gingerbread house, with an equally giant cupcake stuck on top. “What in Equestria is that?” Daring asked, pointing at the cookie-like building, aghast.



I put my foreleg around Daring, which was immediately swatted way, while I pointed at the building with my other hoof. “That is Sugarcube Corner,” I said. “Otherwise known as the current residence of Ponyville’s permanent premiere party pony, Pinkie Pie.” Gaia grinned excitedly. “I can’t wait to see Pinkie,” Gaia said. Daring looked at her confused, so I began explaining how the two had met. “Pinkie Pie is a good friend of hers,” I began, “considered the both of them are eccentric as all get up. Pinkie had thrown Gaia a “Welcome-to-Equestria” party, and the two of them had become fast friends. Now that I think about it, isn’t that where we met, Gaia?” Gaia nodded. “Yep. That’s where I met most of the ponies I know now.”



We walked into the store, and over to the counter, where a plump, blue mare was working. “Hi, Mrs. Cake,” I said. “Do you know where Pinkie Pie is?” Mrs. Cake looked up, and smiled. “Hello, dearie. Pinkie is upstairs. I’ll call her down.”



I nodded. “Thank you, Mrs. Cake,” I said. But as soon as I turned towards the stairs as Mrs. Cake opened her mouth to call for Pinkie, said pony sped down the stairs in a blur, stopping nose to nose with me. She grinned widely. “You’re looking for somepony,” she said with the same pride one might have for receiving the Equestrian Pink Heart. “How’d you know that?” I asked, mildly surprised. Daring was gaping as if Pinkie had grown a second head, which could have very well been plausible, knowing Pinkie.



“Pinkie Sense,” she said excitedly. “My mane was vibrating, which means somepony is looking for somepony else for some reason.” As I looked at Pinkie’s mane, I could very clearly see it quivering rapidly, stop for a moment, then resume quivering, accompanied by a low buzzing noise. “Who ya lookin’ for?” Pinkie asked.



“We are looking for the animal expert-” I began. “Oh, that’ll be Fluttershy,” said Pinkie, as she began bouncing off.



“-but not Fluttershy,” I finished. Pinkie finished her bounce. “Oh, then you’ll want Mr. Green Crab.”



Daring’s eyes widened slightly, “Oh! I do know him. He was okay. Talked to much, and was a bit of a pompous dick at times, although that was only when the other pompous dicks in Canterlot gave him a hard time. Still not sure what that was about.” At this point I was the only one listening, as Pinkie and Gaia were too busy saying high with a ridiculously overcomplicated series of motions one could mistake for a double seizure.



“Pinkie,” I said, interrupting the apparently invigorating conversation Pinkie was having with Gaia about something. “Do you know where Mr. Crab lives?” Pinkie looked up and nodded. “He lives on Bagel Street. 221B if I remember correctly.” I nodded in thanks. “Thank you, Pinkie. Daring, Gaia, come on.” Gaia said goodbye to Pinkie as the three of use headed for 221B Bagel Street.

Author's Note:

I just finished a binge of Sherlock over the course of two days last week, so I wanted to make a nod to it. see you guys next chapter, which will hopefully be out within the next couple days.