• Published 27th Jul 2017
  • 1,065 Views, 4 Comments

Desolation - BlazingCobalt



With fragmented memories and seemingly no way home, A young teenager must cope with adapting to life in Equestria.

  • ...
1
 4
 1,065

A Past Life Forgotten

Soon enough Princess Luna and Jacob were back in the maze-like halls of the castle. Every now and again she would point out where other halls would lead or would explain some of the massive stain glass windows. Most would depict historical events.

"Do you wish to see the throne room?" Luna suggested, seeing the human's dwindling interest.

"Throne room?" Jacob perked up. His curiosity got the best of him.

More and more guards seemed to be stationed as they neared their destination. Something about the lack of emotion in the stallions seemed to make them look even more threatening. A mental note was made in the human's head to try to avoid eye contact.

They all bowed before the lunar Princess and stepped aside as she strode into the gigantic room, seemingly hesitant to let the human in. He looked up at the massive ceiling and then down the long red carpet that lead to the two thrones. One was fittingly made specifically for Princess Celestia, and the other for Luna. The craftsmanship was unsurprisingly top notch.

Jacob's eyes were drawn towards a large window. It depicted a historic event, like most of the others. Most that he was shown were self-explanatory. the founding of Equestria, the first royal gala, but this one caught his attention.

"What... Is that?" He asked and walked towards it, seeing a dark, almost distorted equine being blasted with a jet of colors. Below it, the moon, with the mare's head etched into it.

Luna followed him towards one of the close to home hitting windows and let out a saddened sigh. "I had hoped you wouldn't notice that one." She admitted.

"Why?" He examined it closer. "Is there a reason why that... Thing... Is getting turned into the moon?" He questioned.

"That thing... Was me." She answered weakly.

His eyes quickly shot to the floor, as if he were embarrassed of what he had asked. "Why were you being blasted to the moon?" He rephrased.

"Many years ago, I let my jealousy get the best of me. I had become something evil, a walking nightmare." She said, shame sprinkled over top every word.

He stood there quietly for a moment. It was easy to tell how sad she was by talking about her past. Jacob decided not to question her about that. "If it was such a bad time... Why is this one still here? Every other mural seems so... Happy."

"So I never forget." Princess Luna said and looked down for a split second, before glancing behind the human.


“Forget…” Jacob found himself repeating under his breath.

Much to the human’s surprise, a large guard wearing an armor style that differed from the others he had saw walked into the mighty throne room. The armor itself was purple with golden patterns across it. The disciplined looking stallion walked tall with a stern expression and a confident stride. "Your majesty," he bowed before Princess Luna. "Princess Celestia requires your presence." He spoke, holding the same neutral expression all the other guards held while they stood at attention.

"Naturally," She let out a quiet sigh and turned to face Jacob. "I apologize for cutting the tour short. Captain, I trust you will get Jacob to his room?"

The stallion nodded. "Of course, Princess." He looked down slightly at the human.

"Farewell, I will see you soon Jacob." She smiled and walked off, leaving the large stallion with the human.

"I see you made a full recovery." He stated as he looked him over. The stallion’s violet colored eyes examined him closely, causing a slight bit of discomfort for the teenager.

Jacob took a single step back. Something about the stallion seemed familiar. The English accent was a noticeable difference from everyone else he had met so far. “Do... I know you?" He asked.

"We have met, yes. Captain Silvermane, at your service." The stallion responded and bowed his head slightly to the human.

Jacob quickly followed behind the stallion as he began to walk. He could swear he heard rain, and the stallion's voice in his head.

Don't worry, you're going to be alright.

“You're the one that saved my life, Aren't you?" The human finally asked.

"Well, Doctor Warm Heart saved you. I just brought you here." Silvermane humbly responded

There wasn't much Jacob could offer besides a simple, “Thanks.”

"It wasn't a problem. Am I correct to assume you do not live around here?" He asked curiously.

"Nowhere near here." Jacob flatly responded, unable to force himself to say that he had to be from another planet.

"I'm sure you'll be home soon enough. Princess Celestia seemed determined to make that happen." The Captain commented.

"What happened to me, Captain?" The human asked. He was almost desperate to be told what he wanted to hear. Maybe this was still a dream? Maybe there was an explanation to how he woke up in an entirely different world. At the very least, if the one who saved his life could confirm what the Princess had told him, it would be enough tide his confusion back. For the time being.

"Well, two nights ago, myself and a recruit heard a very loud explosion. As you can imagine, we decided to investigate what had created the sound. We found you laying in a crater not long after," The large gray stallion rubbed his chin for a moment. "To be honest, I’m shocked you survived a fall like that. You weren't in any state to be moved all the way to the hospital. I teleported us to the castle’s infirmary. Doctor Warm Heart took it from there. From what I was told your body was extremely resilient to magic, I noticed when I tried to lift you. The doctor had to use more traditional methods to heal you. Two days later, here we are."

"An explosion?" Jacob asked.

"Yes. We had heard it from about a mile away. We are unsure what had caused it, but what matters is that you survived. Here we are." The stallion stopped in front of the large wooden door that lead to the room Jacob had woken up in.

"If you need anything, guards are stationed all over. They will help you. Perhaps we will meet again. Farewell Jacob."

"Thanks again, Captain."

The stallion just smiled and turned to walk off. From Jacob figured, it was only ten, maybe eleven in the morning. He walked back inside the room and sat on the massive bed and looked at the wall. "I am really in a castle with talking ponies." He said to himself in amazement.
............................................................................................................................................................

The minutes seemed to pass by as he sat and thought. He didn't expect to be home by sundown. Even he knew that the Princesses were just as confused as him to why he was here. Maybe a few days, or weeks, and he would be back home with his family.

Family

That's when it hit him. He couldn't even remember his family. Tears swelled in his eyes as he felt even more helpless. The realization finally sank in. He knew that staying positive was going to be a challenge. The best way he could try to get into a better mindset was to distract himself with another task. With that in mind, he decided to freshen up while he waited for the princess to return. He walked out into the bathroom and stared at his reflection in the mirror. His face was coated in small cuts and bruises. His skin was slightly tinged in places due to dried dirt and thick brown hair was all over the place. It was the perfect time for a shower.



Not even the soothing sound of running water and the comforting warm water was enough to wash away the creeping thoughts of fear and hopelessness. After cleaning himself inside the pony sized shower, Jacob found himself pacing around the large room deep in thought.

"This is real... How do I get out of here? There must be a way back. There has to." He groaned loudly and leaned against the wall, his eyes trailing down to the floor. A small knock at the door stole his attention soon after. He quickly walked over and opened it to see Princess Celestia smiling down at him.

"I hope I didn't interrupt anything?" The royal mare asked curiously, as if she respected the young human’s privacy.

"Not really. I was just thinking about... Stuff." Jacob responded while trying to summon a small smile.

"I understand. You have been through a great deal in just a few hours. I do have news however."

The human's heart skipped a beat as he heard those words. This could be the news he had been waiting for. He could be on his way home any second now! "You do?" He asked eagerly.

"I do indeed. If you would be so kind and come with me. Oh, and bring your bag."

Jacob rushed towards the bed and retrieved his bag and looked at the princess. "What's the news?"

Celestia gently closed the door as they both began to walk down the massive maze-like halls. "My very close friend, and former student has agreed to let you stay with her for the time being. Until my sister and I can find a way to send you home."

Jacob’s small smile instantly turned into a disappointed frown. He was taken completely off guard and felt even more helpless. "Oh. Great." He sighed heavily. The disappointment in his voice wasn’t masked whatsoever.

"I promise we will send you home Jacob. It just will take some time. Do you understand?" The princess asked softly.

"Yeah.... I understand." He responded dryly. “Why can't I just stay here?”

“My sister and I still have our royal duties Jacob. As much as we would enjoy your company, I believe that with our schedules, you would feel as though we were neglecting you.”

For Jacob, the princess might as well just have told him that she would rather dump him on someone else's doorstep. Not that it really mattered. He couldn't care less exactly where he was if the princess would keep her promise to send him back home. That small glimpse of hope didn't much improve his mood.

Celestia knew that there was nothing else she could say to change the humans current disposition so she decided that it would be best to change the subject to try to lighten the mood. Before she could speak however, the teenager spoke up.

"Who is your student anyway?" Jacob questioned in a monotone and frankly uninterested tone.

"Of course. Forgive me. Her name is Twilight Sparkle, she is the Princess of Friendship." The mighty white mare mentally scolded herself for not realizing that the human would have no clue who she was referring to.

"Princess of Friendship?" The human repeated slowly. "Wait, you mean, she is a Princess... And she... Spreads friendship?"

"I suppose that is an accurate description." Celestia responded politely.


He watched as two guards up ahead began to open a pair of large double doors. Like pretty much everything else in the castle, the doors were huge. As was the balcony on the other side. Easily two dozen people, or ponies, could fit comfortably on the dangerously high up ledge. The fear of heights was the last thing on Jacob’s mind, however. From the beautiful blue sky descended a carriage, hauled through the air by two masculine pegasus ponies. With perfect precision, the two ponies landed on the stone floor of the balcony, followed by the wheels of the carriage. The hoof of the regal white mare gently scooted Jacob back away from the large pegasus ponies so that she could greet the passenger inside the carriage.

The Princess of Friendship… Might as well have a princess of ‘love’ too while they are at it...

The door of the carriage opened and a purple hoof stepped out, followed by the entire body of another alicorn, much like Princess Celestia, but much smaller in size. A smile was plastered on her face as her eyes flicked over to the human. The smile unnerved Jacob, but he just decided to play along and gave a forced smile back. Both Celestia and Twilight walked back towards Jacob, the Princess of Friend quickly reached a hoof out towards the human.

“It's great to meet you Jacob! My name is Twilight Sparkle.” Her excitement was not returned by the human, and the mare could instantly tell that something was wrong.

Hesitantly the human shook the mare's hoof, giving a small nod in response to her greeting. Princess Celestia cleared her throat and smiled towards Twilight Sparkle. “Twilight, if I may have a word with you privately? We won't be but a moment Jacob.”

The young human watched as the mares walked off back into the castle. His interest instantly spiked and he knew that whatever the princesses had to discuss, it involved him. He decided it would be best to not think about what the two mares were talking about.

The two pegasi who were harnessed to the carriage stared blankly, emotionlessly, not even giving Jacob a passing glance as he walked past them and packed his bag into the carriage. The carriage itself seemed much roomier that it looked from the outside. The teenager had just finished stowing his backpack when he heard the princesses return.

“-I understand perfectly. I won't let you down princess!” Twilight Sparkle declared confidently.

“I have no doubt in that, Twilight. Farewell you two,” Princess Celestia started and smiled towards Jacob. “I will keep you updated on my progress Jacob, don't worry.”

“If you say so, Princess. Thanks for letting me stay here for a little while.” The human said quietly.

“It wasn't a problem at all. I should let you two on your way.”

Twilight Sparkle climbed into the carriage and waved. “I'll write to you when we arrive!” She happily announced.

"Very well, I will anticipate your letter. Farewell Jacob, I hope to hear from you soon.”

In response, the human nodded and climbed inside the carriage. A bright violet aura gently closed the carriage door just as he proceeded to sit opposite from Twilight, who was happily beaming at him. An awkward silence broke out for a few moments until the sudden jolt of the carriage caused the slightly nervous human to speak up. “How far is wherever we’re going?” Jacob asked weakly, all the while his eyes couldn't help but fixate on the approaching thousand-foot drop.

“Ponyville isn't too far by carriage. I'd say about an hour depending on the weather,” The nervous look on the human’s face didn't go unnoticed by Twilight. “Are you afraid of heights?” She asked curiously.

“I'm scared of falling to my death… Are you sure this thing is safe?” Jacob asked, quickly turning his attention to the purple alicorn.

“I'm positive! I don't blame you for being a little hesitant. Flying is always a little frightening for the first few times. I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions?”

"What kind of questions?” The boy asked suspiciously. His eyes quickly widened as he felt his stomach drop. The carriage had taken into the air. The sudden force of lift off was shocking to say the least, however Twilight Sparkle hardly seemed to notice.

“Oh, just a few basic questions," The mare said off-hoofedly and pulled out a notepad and quill. "We can stop anytime if you don’t feel comfortable. I know this all must be a lot to get used to.”

Jacob took a quick glance out the carriage window to see the streets and rooftops of buildings far below. Seeing how there wasn’t much to do while trapped inside the flying compartment, he gave a small nod, silently hoping none of the questions got too personal. “I don’t remember much right now… Anything important, I mean.”

Twilight nodded and seemed to read off a pre-written list of questions. “That’s okay! First question, this one is a two-part question. Where did you come from? I mean, Princess Celestia mentioned that you came from a place called “Earth”. But I have never heard of it.”

For a few seconds Jacob simply stared at the seat and seemed to completely zone out before his eyes glanced back towards the eagerly awaiting mare. “I'm not from here at all. Earth is my home, but if you’ve never heard of it...” the human let out a weak sigh and rested his head against the wall.

Twilight momentarily looked disappointed in the response she had gotten. She knew that she had unknowingly struck a nerve. She proceeded to casually cross out most of the follow up questions to avoid making the human even more uncomfortable. “I was going to ask if you had magic on your world?”

“I am pretty sure there is no such thing as magic back home. Not like the kind here.” Jacob muttered, watching as Twilight held her quill in a violet aura, gingerly writing down on her parchment.

“Interesting. I'm sure there are plenty of similarities between our worlds. Oh, this is just so exciting! But you mentioned that you are having trouble remembering your home. Is there anything specific you can tell me?”

Jacob stared at the concerned looking mare for a few seconds and shrugged weakly. “I don’t know how much is different yet, besides the fact where I live, we don’t have princesses, castles, or anything like that.” the teenager turned away from the alicorn and stared outside, watching the mountains grow further away by the second.

“Oh, fascinating!” Twilight looked into Jacob’s face, clearly noticing the discomfort in it. She set her notepad aside. “We can maybe continue the questions later. If it helps in any way, once you are done healing, the chances of your memory returning are actually quite high. You suffered a very serious injury.” Twilight said reassuringly.

“Thank you,” Jacob said, turning to face the mare for a moment to show that he appreciated her decision to pause the interview. “I hope so…”

Deep down Jacob felt terrified by the fact that he had hurt himself bad enough to lose his memory, but Twilight Sparkle seemed like someone who knew what she was talking about. He didn't take her words to heart but kept them safely stuffed to the back of his mind. The fuzziness inside his brain allowed him to doze off into a near unconscious state of thought. His brilliant blue eyes lazily drifted towards the ground a mile below, watching the patches of forest pass.

What if I’m stuck here forever? This could still be a dream. What if I’m dead?

Visions of lightning and large yellow eyes filled his head, as well as the booming thunder, mixed with the cacophony of snapping tree branches. The dizziness returned, almost giving Jacob the feeling of vertigo, as if he were plummeting towards the ground. Everything felt so familiar. The human knew that the slight pain he still felt across his body was caused by whatever he faintly remembered.

Jacob nearly snapped out of his trancelike state as he felt Twilight Sparkle tap his leg with her hoof. He quickly turned to face the mare as she motioned towards the window. “Just thought I would warn you; we are landing in about ten minutes. You okay? You’ve been a statue for the past half hour.”

In response, the teenager just sighed. “Yeah, I’m fine. Thanks.” He muttered, deciding on telling the mare what he thought she would want to hear. His hope was to avoid another full conversation.

“Alright. Just wanted to make sure. I really think you're going to like Ponyville. Once you get some friends, this whole situation will be much easier for you. I'm hoping that’s the case anyway.” Twilight told him. Although, she could tell he wasn't paying attention.

Twilight Sparkle may have not had much experience speaking with humans, or reading their expressions, but she could tell herself for certain that the teenaged boy was feeling discomfort. Physical as well as mental she figured. His eyes seemed to flicker rapidly as rows of trees and the occasional river or pond passed half a mile below. He was deep in thought once more.