• Published 17th Jul 2017
  • 221 Views, 3 Comments

Bringing the Magic Back - Amaranthine Thought



a thousand years ago, Celestia and Luna slew each other. Five hundred years ago, Starswirl set off to try and find a cure to the curse. And now, six mare are chosen to be Equestria's last chance. If they ever figure that out anyway.

  • ...
0
 3
 221

Chapter 2

“I need a suit for the soiree.”

“Ah, yes, Mrs. Spark’s birthday, was it not?” Rarity asked the stallion present, one who seemed a mite worried. He sat across from her, Rarity herself set perfectly atop her couch, the picture of elegance. “That was in a few days, was it not?”

“Two days.” The stallion told her. “I need it in two days.”

“That isn’t much time to create.” Rarity said, thoughtful, and seemingly uncertain. She looked at the stallion, and suppressed a small grin, seeing him grow worried.

“I really need your help, Rarity.” He said, “They say that you’re the only one who could manage this.”

Rarity near purred under the words, always very happy to hear such things, though she kept her expression uncertain, and her body language guarded, lest the customer realize her relaxed air, and thus see through her ‘uncertainty’.

“I will be very appreciative.” the stallion said.

“I suppose I create something wonderful in so short a time.” she said, gently brushing her mane away from her face with one hoof. Two days was not a lot of time at all for such a thing, much less something of her standards, but what the customer did not know is that she had a suit already mostly made; it would take the work of a few hours to complete it.

“Thank you.” the stallion breathed, obviously relived.

A slight clatter announced the arrival of Sweetie, who did her very best to walk over, a cup of tea balanced upon a small plate atop her back. The stallion looked over, and Rarity gained a slight note of worry, watching Sweetie wobble forward. It would be far from the first time she had dropped the tea.

Sweetie, despite the shaking, managed to arrive at the stallion without spilling a drop, to Rarity’s relief and mild pride, and asked him, “Tea, sir?” As he nodded, she moved to get it off her back, and before Rarity could stop her from even attempting to, she had somehow managed to flip herself, propelling the tea directly into the client’s face and instants later, the plate as well.

“Oh, I am so very sorry.” Rarity began as she got up, grabbing a hidden towel from nearby to begin wiping at the stallion’s shocked expression. “Little accidents just happen sometimes, it wasn't really an expensive cup nor plate, and the tea washes right out with some warm water and lemon.” She continued to speak hurriedly as she got the stallion up, guided him to the door, assured him the order would be done, and got him outside before she finally shut it, sighing.

“Sorry Rarity.”

“That was almost better, Sweetie, but I’d much sooner have you dropping the tea onto the carpet than throwing it at the customer.” Rarity told the sorrowful Sweetie, moving to pick up the shattered bits of cup and plate and moving to get the nearby cleaning materials.

She had become quite adept at cleaning up spills, and even learned a few tricks as for how to clean tea out of things. Not that she would have ever chosen to learn how to do so.

“I don’t know how that happened.”

“I know.” Rarity sighed, starting to clean, and giving Sweetie a kind glance. “Why don’t you go and find me a pencil and my writing pad Sweetie? They’re in my workshop.”

Sweetie nodded, and, eager to amend her mistake, went that way, leaving Rarity alone.

There, Rarity sighed to herself. It had been almost two weeks with Sweetie, and… things had not gone well. the filly was simply clumsy most times, not yet able to use magic, and not having any real grace nor finesse when it came to her hooves.

It had been very hard to deal with Sweetie, and looking back on it, Rarity determined that not much had changed since the very first moment Sweetie had arrived. Her life was simply not fit for a filly.

Honestly, Sweetie was… damaging. The mere presence of the filly had gotten a few of her clients to rethink Rarity’s services, and her behavior and actions had made some leave, a few of which had done so angrily. That stallion had been the only customer she had gotten in two days.

Sweetie took up time that Rarity couldn’t really afford to give her, drove off clients and customers, hurt her reputation, and sometimes drove Rarity up the wall.

And foal sitters in Dawn’s Light were all apparently fully scheduled, and Rarity was nowhere near as important nor as wealthy to have them ‘forget’ an appointment.

Rarity had often caught herself counting days until Shining Star opened its doors for a new batch of residents. Yet, she had resisted the thoughts, determined to keep Sweetie.

Determined to spite Mrs. Gem and prove to the old mare that she could, in fact, take care of a young filly.

Spite kept her up fairly well, but spite did not a good bond make. Still, Rarity thought, as she sighed again, Sweetie hadn’t really done anything disastrous. Sure, she spilled things, but spills came out, and she would learn eventually. One day, she could,

A sudden series of crashes, the cat screaming, and the sound of tearing fabric jolted her from her thoughts. Rarity startled, and looked toward her workshop, already aghast at what she was hearing before rushing that way. She stopped dead in the entrance, gaping.

The room was a disaster. The once pristine workshop was in shambles, with the shelves pulled over, fabric and thread everywhere. Opal was caught in a tangle of silk before the cat destroyed it and tore past Rarity. Sweetie herself was upside down, a little tangled in thread, next to the sole upright thing left in the room; the dummy wearing the suit.

“Rarity, I,” Sweetie began, struggling to get herself upright. “It, it just all,”

One hoof grabbed onto a sleeve of the suit, and Sweetie pulled herself up with a small ripping sound. Sweetie froze, and then looked at her hoof, which held a small piece of black fabric before looking at the suit.

Which then fell apart for ill-defined reasons.

Sweetie stared at it, and then slowly looked back at Rarity, who had gone perfectly still, her eyes staring at nothing in particular.

“I… sorry, I… can just… go to my room… sorry…” Sweetie murmured, gently tiptoeing over before slipping past Rarity, trailing a few threads behind her as she then hurried away.

Safe upstairs, Sweetie shut her door and sighed. She’d upset Rarity lots of times before, but she had never just stood there before. Maybe it wasn't so bad? Maybe she wasn't really upset with her?

A sudden yell came from downstairs, followed by what sounded like angry, incoherent crying, making Sweetie quail and move away from the door, making a weak determination to maybe avoid Rarity for a while.


It was a few hours later that a knock came to Sweetie’s door, making the filly startle a little.

“Sweetie?” Rarity called from beyond, “Are you there?” She had an odd tone to her voice, and Sweetie wasn't sure what it meant.

A few moments passed before Sweetie asked, “Are you still mad at me?”

“I’m not mad at you Sweetie. May I come in?”

Sweetie weighed her odds before she called out, “Yes.”, hoping that Rarity wasn't upset or mad still. She didn’t sound like she was, but she did sound weird.

Rarity entered the room, and Sweetie watched her, finding Rarity’s face fairly neutral, and difficult for her to read. She walked over to Sweetie calmly, and Sweetie looked up at her, wondering what she wanted.

“…Sweetie, I’ve come to a hard decision.” Rarity told her. “I simply cannot have you in my shop any longer.”

“…O.K.” Sweetie said, unsure, looking away, a little distressed, but feeling that that wasn't so bad. “I can just stay upstairs then…”

Rarity shook her head. “Shining Star Boarding is accepting new residents tomorrow.” Rarity told her, Sweetie looking back to her, confused. “I’m going to be taking you there to sign you up, and you’ll be living in the dormitories there.”

Sweetie looked at Rarity with wide eyes, almost shocked. The sight of Rarity’s face, regretful yet determined, told her that she wasn't going to have a voice in the matter, however.

“I want you to pack your bags, and be ready to go by tonight.” Rarity said as Sweetie drooped, a twisting sort of pain wiggling in her. She climbed off the bed, and dragged one suitcase out from underneath it, before listlessly moving to the dresser, tears appearing in her eyes.

Rarity watched her sadly start taking things out, and gave a soft sigh. The sight distressed her, but…

“This is for your own good, Sweetie.” Rarity told her, simply watching as Sweetie began packing, doing so rather poorly. Out of habit, Rarity’s horn lit to straighten and sort the clothes she was packing as she continued, “I simply cannot provide you what you need, and you’ll be better served by unicorns who have a talent for teaching and caring for fillies.”

Sweetie didn’t respond outside of a morose nod.

“I’ll visit you often.” Rarity said, trying to cheer her, not having anticipated Sweetie’s reaction and feeling terrible for the filly. “You can come and visit during the holidays.”

Sweetie only nodded again, before she gave a sad sniffle and wiped at her eyes, still trying to pack. The sound and motion cut at Rarity’s heart, but she remained determined.

This was for Sweetie’s own good, she told herself. She simply had neither the time nor the patience to deal with Sweetie. Her life simply did not have the space for a growing filly. And she knew that she was far from a good caretaker; though Sweetie had enjoyed ‘scavenging’ for her breakfast and lunch and sometimes her dinner, Rarity knew that simply wasn’t right.

She continued to watch Sweetie pack, almost unconsciously helping her to do so, fighting against her own tears for a while, until she finally broke, just a little.

“…We can spend all day tomorrow together.” Rarity said, giving way slightly, trying to not have Sweetie so devastated. “We can walk around Dawn’s Light and just enjoy the day.”

“…Alright.” Sweetie murmured, not appearing much better for Rarity’s offer. Rarity watched for a few moments longer before she finally left, leaving Sweetie to finish, mostly to spare her heart.

This was for her good, she remined herself as she exited the room, pausing in the hall as she gently shut the door behind her. Sweetie would be far better served by ponies with a talent for teaching, and grow up to be a fine young mare under their tutelage.

One day, she would come back, and she could live with her then. Rarity could teach her all her lessons, the sewing, the cooking, maybe a little seduction and social manipulation. It just couldn’t happen then.

She nodded, sighing softly, reaffirmed. Right up until she heard Sweetie sob, and her newfound determination near broke. She hurried away, again telling herself that it was for Sweetie’s best, that she had to do this. That Sweetie didn’t have a place in her home or shop, that Sweetie would be far happier and better off in the school.

Again, she firmed herself, even if she did so weakly. She knew it was right. It had to be. It had to be, or Rarity was a monster.