• Published 3rd Aug 2017
  • 365 Views, 2 Comments

The lost Warlock - Updown2



During a routine skirmish, a Warlock is thrown through an accidental portal malfunction and into the world of Equestria. his fireteam are dead, his ghost is wounded and the Vex have followed him.

  • ...
 2
 365

The Skirmish

High up on top of an overgrown and abandoned building, at the outskirts of a Venusian city, lies a robed figure, it's eyes just peeking over the edge of the roof, keeping watch on the large group of robots that are milling about. Some are walking on two legs, others are floating by some unknown science. Their singular red eyes scanning the horizon. None of them stray far from a hollow, circular structure. The figure shifts slightly to check its inventory, patting at its pockets to make sure it has everything.


"Eliminate the targets, gather up their Blue Polyphage, return to base", For most, this was nice and simple, for Crux-18 however, this mission was very dull, especially since he's been lying in a puddle for the past half hour. He consoles himself that it'll at least pay well. The rain patters down, further increasing the weight of his already sodden robes. He shakes his head to clear the water from his helmet's visor. Crux sighs,"I really hate the Vex, they never do anything interesting". His Ghost materialises next to him shining with a bright blue shell with little yellow stripes on the tips of its spines.

"Friendlies inbound from the east, Sparrows at top speed" says the ghost, flicking a spot of rain from its spines.

Crux grunts, "it's about bloody time". he repositions into a crouch and gives the target area one last scan with his eyes.
He looks over at his ghost, "What's their ETA?"


As he asks this, he hears the whining sound of 2 Sparrow hover bikes. Crux snaps his head back to target area and see's a
Sparrow ramp up off a burnt out car and do a flip mid air. A very audible "Yeah!!" comes from the Titan who was it's pilot.

"Now, apparently" says his Ghost, its spines whirling around its core.

The Titan dismounts from its Sparrow and smashes shoulder first into a Vex Goblin, sending it flying amidst crackling bolts of electricity. The remaining Vex immediately turn and open fire on the Titan, their bolts of red energy pinging off of his personal shield. The Titan, Edge-27, according to Crux's HUD, wades into the group of Vex. he brings up his shotgun and blows off a Goblins head.

"His cockiness is going to get him killed someday" Crux says, hand on chin.

His ghost chimes in, "don't worry, Lexi has his back". As it says this the distinctive cracking sound of a sniper rifle reverberates around the area and a Vex Hobgoblin explodes, torn at the waste. Crux's eyes follow the vapour trail and he spies the Hunter known as Lexi, her bright blue cape gently flapping in the wind.

"well, time to join in" says Crux. his Ghost dematerialises and he jumps off of the roof. Utilising the power of the Light, Crux gracefully glides down towards the fight.


He draws his hand cannon mid flight and pops off a few rounds into an unsuspecting Goblin. He makes a delicate landing and throws out a Void grenade. it collides with a Goblins legs and a big ball of purple energy forms, tearing the Goblin's atoms apart. A couple of Vex Harpies get caught in the blast and quickly float away, only to be caught by Edge-27. The Titan punches one and it explodes, arcing bolts of electricity into the other Harpy. The second harpy fizzles and dies, dropping to floor.

"You're late Crux!" he shouts in an annoyingly mocking tone. Before Crux can give a witty retort a high caliber bullet flies past his face and smashes the head of a Goblin.
Crux hears the voice of his Ghost in his ear. "4 enemies remaining".


Not wanting to be bested, Crux sets himself upon the remaining Vex. He reaches out and slaps a Goblin with an open palm. The Goblin is torn apart from the impact point, totally atomised. Crux vaults over the wreck of a car, spins around and puts two handcannon rounds into a Harpy's eye, killing it. in the distance Lexi lets off a shot, felling another Hobgoblin.
The last Vex, a Goblin, runs to the structure that its group was guarding. A strange white beam comes out the goblins face and hits the structure. Edge throws a grenade at the Goblin and it explodes, emitting a bright light. The Goblin's beam falters and shuts off. A final shot from Lexi takes it down.


With the fight now finished, the three guardians meet in the middle, next to the strange Vex structure.
"some fine shooting Lexi, as usual" says Crux, full of charm. She gives him a withering look

"That was nothing compared to my entrance! did you see the look on that Goblins face?". says Edge, a hint of laughter in his voice. Lexi makes a loud tutting noise.

Suddenly the Vex structure lights up, creating a wall of light , a Vex portal, in its center. Crux's HUD is hit with a wave of static. they all turn to look at the structure, weapons at the ready. They hear a strange, unnatural crackling sound come from the structure. A second later it spits out a Vex Minotaur, a robot twice the size of a standard Goblin and with no visible weakness. Edge yelps in surprise. immediately after, two more Minotaurs come out of the portal.

"I've got 'em!" shouts Crux. he jumps high into the air with the power of the Light and unleashes a Nova Bomb at the group of Vex. A large sphere of roiling Void energy erupts from his hands and smashes into the ground. A huge wave of purple energy engulfs both groups, blasting the Minotaurs into oblivion. The fuel tanks of a few nearby cars explode, tossing Lexi into Edge, sending them both tumbling into the Vex portal. Crux cries out in surprise and launches himself after his friends, headfirst into the portal, just as it closes.


The moment he's through, immediate and intense pain hits Crux all over his body. He feels himself being torn apart. Harnessing the power of the light he amps up his regeneration abilities and rebuilds himself. He dulls the pain and opens his eyes, to find himself floating in a void, similar to space but a deep purple. He looks around and spots Lexi a few meters off. He panics a little when he sees her writhing in pain, the ends of her limbs fading away. He Blink teleports towards her.
Crux shouts out, "focus your Light on your regeneration!" she starts to calm down and Crux can see that the ends of her limbs start reforming.

Her Ghost materialises next to her shoulder, "we can't hold this for long" it says, its bright blue shell looking dull in the void light.

"Do you see Edge?" Crux asks, desperation cracking his voice.

"yes! he's over there" The Ghost indicates Edge's position, behind Crux, with a nod of its core. "oh no". its spines droop.
Crux spins around see's Edge. whats left of him. What remains of his body is fading away like dust in the wind as the Void claims him. his Ghost goes with him, a slight wisp of bright blue.

"Our light is fading" says Lexi's ghost. its voice growing weaker.

"No! i'll help you" says Crux. He cuts regeneration to his legs and uses the spare Light to shield Lexi and her ghost. His legs erupt into particles and drift away.
For what felt like hours, Crux focused on his Light and protecting Lexi. Her own power fades and Crux is left doing all the work. The strength of his Light strained, it starts to snap. Lexi loses an arm, then a leg. Crux feels his Light break away from her. With heart wrenching scream, Lexi, Ghost and all are torn apart by the Void, leaving Crux alone.


His own Light fading, Crux sacrifices more parts of his body, desperately trying to hold on. Suddenly he see's in the distance, a new portal opening. Through it he can see grass, hills and trees. "it may not be Venus, but i don't care right now" he thinks to himself. he Blink teleports closer to the portal, costing him some of his Light, along with an internal organ. Crux Blinks again and again, each time getting closer, each time losing a part of himself to this hated Void. He reaches the edge of the portal and with the last of his Light, he pushes himself through.


Crux lands with a crunching thud onto the grass. what remains of his body starts sparking, little bolts of electricity flying out his shoulder and waist. he uses his remaining arm to drag himself away from the portal. His Light, no longer strained by the Void starts to patch him back up. "Ghost?" he says, weakly. "Ghost you there?". He performs a forced summon, materialising his Ghost into his hand. the light from its core slightly flashes and the Ghost groans. It's spines fall off of its core and into crux's hand. "Not dead, thank the Traveler" thinks Crux, as he can still feel the Ghost's light. He hears a large "gasp" off to his side and the sound of... hooves? before he can turn his head to look, Crux falls unconscious.


The owner of the "gasp" was a unicorn, who is now having a bit of a freak out. She closes her portal and hides behind a bush for a while. Once she calms down she emerges from her hiding spot and approaches the strange thing that came out of her portal. She gives it a slight prod with her magic and gains no response. Deeming it safe she closes the distance and inspects the thing. Whatever it was, it's alive and very badly hurt. Feeling a wave of compassion, she picks up Crux and his Ghost in a levitation spell and trots off to her home, keeping a keen eye out for any onlookers.

Author's Note:

This is my first time writing something like this so please forgive mistakes. constructive criticism is appreciated.