• Published 9th Jul 2017
  • 1,715 Views, 83 Comments

Stalingrad Hell on Earth - Bronycommander



Stalingrad, a town both sides call hell. A Squad of German soldiers find something that should not be here.

  • ...
5
 83
 1,715

Chapter 1: Am I crazy?

Chapter 1: Am I crazy?

Stalingrad 1942

In three days of the hell of Stalingrad, one has no idea what has happened in there. This surpasses everything experienced so far. The city is continually getting smaller, and the ruins are getting bigger. Every house must have been destroyed, and often battles are fought for mounds of rubble. The artillery is smashing into it. Tanks and infantry comb the streets and this is the toughest work. Everyone who gets out alive may thank God.”

Gefreiter Otto Lanz, 305th Panzer Jäger Abteilung


Frank Lange, a Rifleman from the German 6th Army, 27 years old, married and a father, was patrolling the seemingly endless streets of Stalingrad with his friend Manfred Stein who was a SMG gunner.

They both were young, full of enthusiasm and patriotism. As everyone else, they were confident of victory and wished for a swift victory and swifter journey home. But it was not so.

As the conquer of Moskau failed in 1941 thanks to the winter, High Command sent the 6th army to secure the city of Stalingrad. It’s capture would cut the Russians off their vital route to the Caspian sea, lower their moral as it was named after their leader, and would allow Germany to access the oil-rich city of Baku.

While it sounded simple and the German Army was highly-trained and well equipped, the Russians were very stubborn, making every fight hard and bloody.

Frank and Manfred both served in North Africa, and were on leave before they got sent to the Eastern Front.

Frank could still remember how they joked on the train to the front.

“Stalingrad? Oh please. Then we cut the Ivan's coat. Such a lousy city, we'll take it in three days!” Manfred joked.

“Yeah, the world has never seen a highly-trained force like us! I just can’t wait to see my family again!” Frank exclaimed.

“Don’t worry about that. I am with you. And with me, you all will return healthy!” His squad leader Nick Fischer assured him. He was in his late 30s and had served on the Eastern Front since the beginning of Operation Barbarossa.

Apart from him, there was Klaus their MG gunner, Kevin their Marksman and Lars, also a Rifleman who used a semi-automatic rifle. They were played cards.

But reality was different.

The Russians defended every corner of this city with everything they had, which resulted in heavy losses for both sides. Also, neither of both sides cared for the civilians which pained Frank as every time he heard a child crying, it reminded him of his daughter. The last time he had seen her and his wife was in August 1942, shortly before he was sent to the front.

“I will miss you, Daddy!” His daughter, Jana, hugged him tightly.

“I will too.” He returned it.

“Be careful.” His wife kissed him and gave him a small family photo.

“Of course I will.” He said before getting on the train.

The Situation was getting worse and worse for the German Army every day in Stalingrad, and his family was the only thing that kept him from going nuts. But still, his chances of survival were low and he expected every day to die. Sometimes, he even dreamed of his death, a bullet to the head.

Manfred sighed. “I’m getting tired of this! Patrol, patrol, patrol! It's frustrating!”

“I know but someone has to do it. Besides, still better than freezing at -40 degrees like last year. If we had attacked earlier or if the winter had not been so cold, we would have captured Moskau and it would be over.”

“Yeah, and we and the Russians have lost too many already.” Manfred commented as there were many bodies lying around from previous battles.

“You’re right, all those deaths for this city. I’m looking forward to the end of this.”

“Me too. Ideas on how to fight homesickness?”

“I just imagine that we win and I am finally able to sit with my wife and daughter in front of our fireplace. That helps.”

“Well, then pray that you see them again. There were soldiers who thought the same and died.” Manfred reminded him of the many who had a family and died.

“Hey, together we can make it through this!”

“Damn right!” They got to know each other in Africa, expect for Nick who became their new leader after their previous Squad Leader was fallen during the battle of El Alamein. They enjoyed each other’s company. Back then, Frank was responsible to get enough water as he was a bartender before the war. The heat never bothered any of them, neither did the cold here as they got used to it.

“The MP40 is a reliable weapon but you should take a PPSH-41 when you can. Those things never jam even though our weapons are superior to theirs.”

“Yeah, maybe. You never told me how you got a Mauser C96 or better said, a M712.”

Frank chuckled. “A very naive soldier used it as stake in a game of cards which I won. He said I was cheating, but I countered that he couldn’t play cards.”

Manfred laughed. “That’s right, you’re a master at this game! Already got an idea for a Christmas present for your daughter?”

“She likes ponies, so I thought, what about a plushie? Unicorn or Pegasus, I still need to decide.”

“Why not both? A…an Alicorn, get it?” He joked.

“How did you come up with that? I hope your mind isn’t broken.”

“No, not yet. But if you think about it, combining it that would be a Breakthrough and miracle in Greek mythology!”

“Yeah, after we banish one to the moon. I know you like mythology but how do you get such ideas?”

“Just popped in there.”

“Uh-huh. Anyway, stay sharp, the Bolsheviks could be anywhere.” Frank warned him.

“Of course, it’s not like they can turn invisible or something.”

While they made their round, Frank could swear he heard a child crying.

“Hey do you hear that?” he asked Manfred.

“Yeah, and…?”

Frank looked around, the crying came out of a bombed building. “Check it out? Help this poor child?”

“Fine. But if this is a new trick by the Reds, I make you pay for this!”

They entered slowly and with caution.

They saw something wrapped in a blanket, calling for his mother. It was not in Russian but In German. Both Soldiers looked to each other before Frank opened his mouth. “Hello?”

The blanked flinched. “P-please don’t hurt me. I’m scared.” It sounded very scared.

“We won’t hurt you, kid.” Frank and Manfred lowered their weapons.

But as the blanket fell off, they couldn’t believe their eyes.

The child was a unicorn filly with pale rose coat, matching mane and lime green eyes. It cried and hugged Frank for comfort.

“Shh, calm down, we’re here for you.” He said instinctively as he did the same with his daughter when she cried.

After a while, the foal calmed down. “Thanks. I’m Ruby Pinch. You?” she looked up.

“Private Frank Lange and this is my friend Private Manfred Stein.” Frank introduced himself and Manfred but both had the same thought.

Am I crazy?

Author's Note:

Another story of mine, this time a Stalingrad story with Ruby Pinch. This story is a crossover based on the Stalingrad movie from 1993 and the game Red Orchestra 2. Should you find any errors in my writing, please let me know in the comments. That being said, I hope you enjoyed the first chapter. The Diary entry is from the game.