• Published 6th Jun 2017
  • 2,428 Views, 7 Comments

Mairon's Redemption - Ryukan



After the fall of his old master, Sauron, the Dark Lord of Middle Earth begins to see the error of his ways, but, in a twist of fate, he is found by his original master and is sent to a land filled with ponies to learn the lessons of friendship

  • ...
0
 7
 2,428

The Banishment of Sauron

In Southern Eriador

As the calm wind from the sea blew across the grassy plain, and as the radiant Isil shone across the land, there walked the figure of a man, hooded and alone. This wanderer passed through the land undetected and unbeknownst to the lords that ruled it. Lost in thought and his mind racing through the various outcomes, Sauron, known as Mairon to the Valar, walked alone.

His master had just been struck down in a titanic war that wrecked the earth and shattered the Continent of Beleriand and sank it beneath the waves. With their primary foe defeated and banished to the void, the Valar and their hosts returned to Valinor, and Sauron was left behind.

For the first time in his immortal life, he was experiencing doubt as he realized that the results of his actions were not what Melkor had promised him, he knew now the lies he was fed, the lies he accepted. His name was now the most reviled and feared in Arda and great hosts of Men, Dwarves, and Elves still roamed the Land searching for him to end his reign of terror.

For the first time since his coming to Middle Earth, he longed for home, to work again in the great forges of his old master Aule and to create items of beauty and have them shown all around as flawless and perfect, his name to be praised and not feared and reviled. He contemplated on his return to Valinor, he thought of asking for forgiveness and of begging to be let back. But he was no fool, he had done a great many evil things and his judgement would be as swift and final as Melkor's. This saddened him greatly and as he walked, something happened that had not happened in all of eternity, Sauron began to weep.

He wept for his fortune, he wept for those he ruined, he wept for his stupid actions and their inevitable consequences. As the "Great Enemy of Middle Earth" sat weeping, a small light shone on him and he jolted up startled and his hand went instinctively to his small sword, all that remained of his once great arsenal.

"Still that hand Mairon, you would really draw your sword against your master?" As the voice spoke, Sauron instantly recognized it and he fell to his knees and the two sat there for several moments like that, the mighty Valar and his wayward servant kneeling before him.

"Do you understand your actions and what they have wrought?" Asked Aule.

"I do," came the barely perceivable reply.

"I was tasked with finding you and ending your time on this world, and before I leave I will fulfill my duty," Aule said as he looked down at his hooded, former servant, "Cast aside that cloak and let me see you."

Sauron resisted the command for several long minutes, but his hand slowly removed the cloak as ordered and as he threw it aside, Aule's face clouded with sadness, Sauron's body was covered in scars and his complexion had lost its once grand vigor and he now looked as a corpse, even his build was greatly diminished, and though his muscles were as toned as ever, they were greatly diminished in size. As Sauron looked up at his master, Aule saw that those once beautiful were now bloodshot and dim.

"It saddens me to no end at how low you have been brought my lost pupil, and my heart aches for your punishment. But I have my duty and your actions have merited this punishment ten times over," as Aule uttered these words, Sauron's heart sank even lower and his head fell as he realized that he would not be among the living for much longer. Anger flared up within him, but it slowly diminished as the thoughts of his great and terrible deeds reminded him that he deserved no better.

"But," a pause that lasted a lifetime ensued as Aule thought his next course of action through, "I was not commanded on where to send you. In my days of crafting and learning all the techniques of the universe, I have discovered other lands and worlds beyond our own. One in particular may far more productive for you than simply sending you to the void.”

Sauron looked up in confusion and hope.

“While I will never forgive you for your actions, I will forever miss you Mairon. Before I send you away forever, I will drain you of almost all your power to ensure that you will never cause trouble again. When you arrive, you will be mistrusted and ridiculed, but if you learn the lessons of Friendship there, you may yet find peace,” Aule sighed, “Goodbye my old friend."

As Sauron was still reeling from this revelation, Aule made a gesture with his hand and Sauron doubled over in pain as his power was forcibly removed from him. After the pain subsided, he felt a strange energy surround him, as he opened his eyes, he saw bands of blue encircle him and the last he saw of his master's face was a sad but hopeful look and then he felt a sharp snag of immense pain and he knew no more.

Author's Note:

Rewritten to fix grammar errors and a few lines that made no sense.