• Published 8th May 2017
  • 634 Views, 7 Comments

The Last Unicorn Princess - DaisyDaedal



An ancestor of Princess Platinum struggles to rescue the unicorn race from extinction

  • ...
 7
 634

Chapter Three

'The bars of her cage must have had some sort of spell on them, for they never stopped whispering evilly to one another in clawed, pattering voices.'

-Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn

While Amulet Azalea was a quiet pony, often her face conveyed much more emotion. Every creature looking at the unicorn likely could see shock, confusion, relief, anxiety, and suspicion broadcast across her face as she took in Cait Sidhe’s words.

She wasn’t the last unicorn! It seemed strange- knowing how obsessive the unicorns she’d met were about their pure unicorn pedigrees- that a unicorn would take a dragon for a mate. Perhaps the half unicorn Levanna Belladonna knew where her unicorn parent and all the other unicorns were. And if Azalea knew the other unicorns were safe, perhaps she wouldn’t need to journey to find them. She could return to her mountain valley home!

But how could she trust the words of creatures she had just met? As friendly as they seemed, they didn’t even know her name. Yet they wanted her to stay with them- was she to be trapped as a sideshow attraction?

“You seem to have a lot of questions,” Levanna said, breaking Azalea’s thoughts. “Perhaps you can sup with us a bit before we get to answering them, miss… ?”

Azalea opened her mouth to give her full royal title- a reflex she hadn’t realized still affected her. But what benefit would there be to give them her name? She could just be a random unicorn to them, not a royal unicorn. Being a princess might make them treat her differently, and if the unicorns had just merely relocated somewhere, she couldn’t risk word of her family finding her. While she wanted to know of the unicorns’ fate, she did not want to be a Princess again.

But she had to be someone, and the flower necklace cutie mark on her flank wouldn’t stay hidden forever. Knowing she had already been quiet too long, she quickly gave a name that could pass as something an average unicorn might name their child based on their appearance.

“White Lily. My name is White Lily.”

Xanthe stepped close and firmly hugged Azalea's shoulders with one arm.

“Well, Lily- it's Asher's turn to cook tonight. And he makes a mean pea soup you’re sure to love,” Xanthe declared. “Let's go eat!”

“O-okay.”

The circus dwellers lead her outside the tent, and to a fire pit that had four cut logs surrounding it in lieu of chairs. Asher stood above a cauldron over the fire, stirring a very fragrant soup white adding herbs to it, tasting it after each addition. As the creatures began to settle on places on the logs, Azalea hesitated as she wondered where to sit.

Her siblings often looked irritated when she would sit next to them when it wasn’t a formal meal with assigned seating. It got to the point where she decided she’d rather take her meals in her room than face their ire. Now faced with creatures she wanted to get along with, she wasn’t sure if sitting next to one would annoy them.

She would’ve sat next to Levanna, but Onyx Bolt had already placed himself next to the half unicorn- and the Karkadann was already large enough to take up most of the log himself.

Sitting by himself, Swift Star caught her eye and began to wave her over. But Jett picked Azalea up and set her between himself and Xanthe.

“So, you're not a trap sent by Bandits, are you?” The dragon asked without preamble.

“Oy! That's a stupid question. This mare is clearly an innocent,” the Griffin snapped.

“Where's your proof?” Jett argued.

“She puts up with you, doesn't she?” Xanthe argued.

“Look, all I'm saying is that it's weird that a young mare would travel by herself.”

Azalea didn’t want griffin and dragon to fight because of her, so she found herself speaking perhaps more about herself than she meant to.

“I don't have any Pony to travel with. My mother is dead, my father is likely dead, too, and I don't know where my brothers and sisters are. Levanna's the first unicorn I've seen in a decade,” Azalea explained. Azalea's eyes met Levanna’s as she spoke, and the half unicorn blushed and stared at her feet. Interrupting the moment of silence, Asher gave a small roar and the other creatures stood. Azalea watched as the other creatures joyfully began to ladle out some soup, and gave thanks to the devil bear. The unicorn wondered in more ways than one if it would be ok to join them.

‘Well, you can count on us to keep you company if you decide to stay,’ Cait Sidhe said with a grin, bringing a bowl of soup to the mare.

Before Azalea could take it, Swift Star dashed between the two, knocking the bowl onto the ground.

“Oh, sorry! So sorry! The Pegasus apologized, picking up the bowl from the ground. “Here, you can have my share.” Swift Star flew quickly to his bench and returned with his untouched bowl, cradled in one of his wings. Azalea took it with her magic, meeting the Pegasus’ gaze. His shoulders seemed to have lost their tension, yet his eyes were still wide with worry. Azalea couldn’t imagine what he had to worry about, while safe among his allies.

“Swift Star, be more careful with food!” Cait Sidhe snapped at the Pegasus.

“Yes ma'am, sorry ma'am,” Swift Star replied, rinsing out the fallen bowl with water from his hip flask. With a sheepish smile at Cait Sidhe, he returned to the edge of his seat, seemingly ready to spring up at a moment’s notice. The cat huffed a bit, then excused herself, disappearing towards the Caravan train with Rex close behind her.

Levanna Belladonna stood up from her seat next to Onyx Bolt. She rushed over to Swift Star, sat really close to the Pegasus and leviatated her soup to him. Swift Star looked a little uncomfortable, but didn't refuse the soup she gave him, gingerly eating it as Levanna smiled warmly at him. Onyx looked on sourly at the pair of ponies, and Azalea felt a pang of empathy- she wished she could be near Levanna, too.

Soon every creature was tucking into their dinner. Besides the sweet and slightly gritty texture of the peas, Azalea tasted rosemary, sage, oregano, garlic, and chives. It reminded her of the food the Royal chefs back at the palace had made.

“This is exquisite!” she told Asher- who made a pleased rumble in return.

“It's even better with ham,” Jett declared with a mysterious grin.

“You eat meat?” Azalea squeaked, shrinking low on the log she sat on. She eyed the dragon and Griffin next to her worriedly. From her seat next to Asher, Jezebella leapt across the fire to land on top of the dragon’s head. She then proceeded to smack him with her spoon repeatedly.

“Hey! Ow! Okay, I'm sorry!” The dragon apologized. The almiraji flipped backwards off of Jett onto the ground, and pointed her spoon at the dragon with a stern expression. After a couple of moments of standing in this pose, Jezebella hopped over to Asher, who handed her a tea cup filled with the soup. She sat on the Bears foot and lapped up her share.

“Aside from Swift Star and Jezebella, most of us are omnivores- but we don't eat meat around you herbivores out of respect,” Xanthe explained.

“Nor do we intelligent animals,” Jett added with a guarded look at Jezebella.

“I thought dragons just ate gems,” Azalea stated questionably.

“Whatever food is easiest to get to, we eat,” Jed explained. “But gems are our favorite food.”

As the sun set, the group chatted about their own favorite foods, and finished their dinners. It was twilight when Cait Sidhe returned with a giant satisfied grin on her face- Rex, a few paces behind her.

“Good news, White Lily - I had Rex clean out one of our old storage wagons for you to sleep in.”

Anxiety scratched at Azalea, and she stood, her calm fading.

“I don't want to be a bother- especially since I haven't agreed to stay on as a performer.”

“Please, it's much too dangerous to travel alone in this area - bandits have been known to roam, you know,” Cait Sidhe insisted. “You must be tired. Rex- show her the way.”

Not really wanting to fight the offer- the idea for walls around her did appeal to the unicorn- Azalea agreed. The circus performers waved and wished Azalea a good night. Swift Star one the only one who didn’t speak, his gaze following her as followed the Diamond dog.

The Caravan wagons were ringed around the tents, one for each performer with their names written on the sides of each one. There were three unmarked wagons towards the end, and Rex let Azalea to the second one, handing her a key.

“Lock your door,” Rex muttered before disappearing into the first unmarked wagon- his door audibly locking behind him.

She stepped up to small steps to the door, and opened it, using her horn to light up the inside. There wasn't too much held inside:. A hammock was tied across the center, with a slightly patched blanket folded across it, small wooden boxes piled in one corner, and an open empty chest that sat in front of them. It only had one window shuttered closed on the far back wall of the wagon- and likely only something as small as Jezebella could fit through it.

Once through the door, she quickly shut it behind her, and obeyed the warning to lock it. Skimming inside the crates, she found a candle and a candle holder in one, and preceded to lit it to spare her magic.

The open chest actually had a key sitting inside of it- that upon testing proved to lock the chest. She debated storing her things in it, but knowing she’d had to make hasty retreats before, decided to drape her saddlebags and cape over the ends of the hammock instead.

After casting more protection spells on the wagon itself, Azalea settled in the hammock, and put out the candle. Sleep came surprisingly easy- for the first time since her valley home, she felt safe.

The next morning, Azalea found a note stuck under her door. It read: “Don't trust Cait Sidhe’, and it wasn't signed. Azalea knew that she should be cautious of strangers until proven trustworthy. But she couldn't imagine any of the Circus dwellers having written the note.

None of them seemed scholarly, and it was rare that creatures outside of wealthy families knew how to read and write. If any of them could write, she’d guess the leader herself- Cait Sidhe. But it seemed silly to warn Azalea of herself.

Azalea didn't know what ill will Cait Sidhe would have towards her, but certainly would be in Cait Sidhe’s best interest to be kind to the unicorn if she really wanted Azalea to join her show. Since the cat so far had done only that, it seemed rude to mistrust her based on some creature’s words that wouldn’t even identify themselves.

Azalea instead decided to put the note in her chest for safe keeping. As she levitated her cloak over her shoulders and tightened the ribbon at the hood’s collar to hold it in place, she told herself that it wouldn't matter if she couldn't look for the unicorns if she knew what had befallen them. If she found out more, then maybe it wouldn’t be so bad to stay with this Circus.

Perhaps there was more Levanna knew that she wouldn’t say in front of her friends? Azalea had to at least ask.

She left her wagon, locking the door behind her, and began to quietly walk back along the half circle of wagons. No creatures seem to be moving about in the shadowy dawn, so Azalea attempted to make little noise with her hooves so as to not disturb any creature’s slumber.

The morning sun had yet to crest the horizon but there was plenty of light to read the sides of the caravans by. She had been rushed along by the Circus folk during the day, and unable to make out the writing by night, so she took the time to read the big and attention-grabbing writing on the wagons’ sides.

It did not resemble the handwriting of note left under Azalea’s door, but it proved at least one creature of the circus was literate. The note writer’s strokes had been short, straight and to the point where the names on the sides of the wagons have been written out with impossibly curly flourishes that were somehow still legible.

After the wagon that Rex had entered last night, was one painted dark blue and read Swift Star the Magnificent Magician in teal letters surrounded by spirals and stars. It was followed by a dark gray wagon with red lettering resembling flames that read Jett the Ferocious Firedancer. The Bright yellow wagon next to it read Xanthe the Golden Blades Master in spikey orange letters with many triangles. Asher the Daring Devil Bear’s came after that- unpainted dark brown wood with orange letters, followed by Jezebella the Key to Laughter’s pink and yellow wagon with smiling faces.

The wagon Azalea was looking for was between the ochre and black Onyx Bolt: Strongest Stallion Alive wagon and Ring Master of Shadows Cait Sidhe’s dark green and maroon wagon. It was a teal wagon that with blue lettered read: Levanna Belladonna: The Weightless Acrobat. Azalea climbed up the steps leading to Levanna's door, and knocked gently with her hoof.

“Miss Levanna? Levanna Belladonna? As Azalea stood, waiting for some response, she felt her determination slip. What if the half unicorn had been woken up by Azalea and it gave Levanna a negative impression of her? Maybe Azalea had broken some unknown rule-waking the performers early- that could cause the Circus Players to shun her? Azalea heard the latch on the door unlock, and her whole heart leaped into her throat in fear as knew it was too late to fix any faux paus.

The door swung inwards, revealing Levanna- smiling sleepily at the sight of Azalea.

“Good morning, Lily. What can I help you with?” Encouraged by the half unicorn’s friendly exterior, Azalea asked:

“Can we speak in your wagon? I'd like to talk to you privately about the unicorns.”

“Oh, certainly,” Levanna replied, opening the door wider so the other mare could come in.

Levanna's bedroom was different from Azalea’s in two large ways: she had small cot instead of hammock, and it was clear that an artist lived in this wagon.

Every surface had scraps of paper piled on it or glued down on the walls, all with little sketches of creatures on them. Most of them were drawn with charcoal bits Azalea saw in multiple in the wagon, but there were some ink drawings, too. Cans of paint and brushes were in the opposite corner of the wagon that had familiar hues. Levanna must’ve been the wagon painter! It meant that either she too could read or write or she had copied the words from a picture. Had she left the note for Azalea?

“I'm sorry it's such a mess,” Levanna apologized.

“It’s not a mess- they’re all beautiful!”

“Thank you. I like to sketch creatures that visit us when I'm not onstage. Cait Sidhe would rather I'd attention to the show- so I don't miss my cue- though.”

“How well do you know Cait Sidhe, anyway? Did she teach you to write?” Azalea asked.

“Oh, you mean the paint? No, Cait Sidhe just wrote down the words so I could copy them when I painted the wagons. But she’s taught me a lot, raised me since I was an infant.”

“So you don't remember your unicorn parent?” Azalea asked to confirm her fear. Levanna froze, then smiled apologetically at the Unicorn .

“No, sorry- I don’t know either of my parents. But I'd love to know what living with unicorns is like. Did you know what happened to them?”

“I wasn't… living with other unicorns when they disappeared. I only found out recently the no others besides us are out there,“ Azalea explained, feeling ashamed.

“Cait Sidhe told me that my dragon blood kept me safe when the red Centaur took them- he only wanted pure-blooded unicorns. But we never travel near his territory, so if you stay with us we can hide you.”

“Where is the red centaur’s territory?” Azalea ask quickly. Levanna looked wide-eyed at Azalea like she asked something terrifying.

“I am... no good with maps, so I wouldn't know. But wouldn't you rather stay with us where it’s safe? I've always wanted to know more about my unicorn half, and I don't know how to use Magic well,” the half unicorn pleaded.

“Oh,” Azalea said, unable to release the worries and suspicion swirling in her head. She barely knew Levanna Belladonna, and while the half unicorn seemed well intentioned, it was hard to tell what might hurt her when spoken aloud.

“I'll certainly keep that in mind when I make my choice,” Azalea added.

While she hadn't agreed to stay, Azalea still helped the performers get ready for their show that evening. She levitated and tightened ropes in high spots that were dangerous to climb to otherwise, swept way loose pieces of straw inside the tent, and stitched pieces of the tent and clothes that needed mending. While the performers may have been hesitant to let their guests work for them, she did each task assigned to her promptly and quickly.

It was satisfying to be able to help, but she couldn’t help notice that she’d met Swift Star’s eyes more than once. Why did he still look worried?

As the sun began to set and the torches were lit, Azalea made certain her hood hid her horn from view and watched creatures walk around the grounds of the tent. Mostly it was only earth pony families that visited, but some griffins, deer, and minotaurs filtered in with the crowds.

To draw in an audience before the show, each of the circus performers gave a little preview of their act while standing in front of their wagons.

Onyx both lifted his wagon onto his back every once in a while.
Levana Belladonna walked all over on just her fore limbs, doing back and front flips when creatures watched.
Xanthe tapped her sword rhythmically together, swallowing the sword when groups of eyes were on her.
Jett breathed out smoke into rings, launching an occasional arrow-shaped streak as if the rings were targets.

Jezebella play mysterious tricks on her fellow performers, like stealing props, and tickling them. She would often trip and fall herself to make other creatures laugh.

Nearby Swift star would cover every part of his body with his cloak, only for the cloak to fall to the ground without a pegasus inside it. He would then shout and appear cloakless behind the creatures looking for him.

At the end of the Wagon Train, Cait Sidhe called every creature inside the tent, promising more. As the performers did their last demonstrations and the last of the crowds were seated, Azalea slipped into the back of the tent, sharing smiles with the circus folk.

The performances played out as she had seen them the night before, but being in the backstage made Azalea's heart beat faster. She definitely didn't want the audience of creatures to see her, but the performers’ own excitement was contagious.

Despite knowing what was coming, every move was just exciting the second time watching it. Jezebella's antics dealing Swift Stars drew laughter from the audience, and they were awe struck by Xanthe’s blades and Jett’s fire.

As Asher and Levvana got ready for their cues, Levanna gave Azalea a hug- a gesture that had perhaps been the first hug the unicorn had since she was a baby. Even though she was stiff with shock, Azalea didn’t rebuff Levanna. Before she could figure out how to hug back, the hug was over- but Levanna didn’t look offended.

“Wish me luck,” Levanna whispered with a smile, and pulled a lever on one of the tent’s posts, making a rope shoot upwards towards the tent’s ceiling. Ropes head been tied around the half unicorn’s and onikuma's waists and hips, pulling the duo upwards as the stack in the rope tightened. Levanna disappeared into the darkness above them, but Asher straightened on top of his stilt legs and untied the Rope, standing up high. He started drumming right on cue, and walk through the curtains like he'd been on stilts his entire life.

Azalea was still unsure about how she felt about being hugged, and zoned out as she thought about it while the onikuma performed rescuing Jezebella from the type rope. It was a thud from above and Jezebella’s screech of real panic that caught Azalea’s attention again.

Up in the air, Levanna dangled from her neck, seemingly tangled up in the ropes above. Jezebella had slipped into Asher’s arms, but everyone else seemed to watch Levanna in shock. Not waiting for one of the winged circus performers to remember to fly, Azalea grabbed one of Xanthe’s blades with her magic and rose it far into the air, slashing at the ropes around the half unicorn.

Azalea’s action brought the dragon and griffin to focus, and they flew up to catch Levanna as the cut ropes dropped her. The creatures landed on the ground with big grins on their faces, posing for the audience as it had all been an act.

“What wonderful heroics from our Magician!” Cait Sidhe boomed to the audience, as if to explain the levitating sword. Azalea quickly levitated the sword to his hand, and hid deeper inside, breathing heavily.

The audience cheered, and Rex brought the curtain down. The instant they were out of sight of from onlookers, Levanna, Jezabella, and Xanthe all bound it over to Azalia and hugged her fiercely.

“You saved me!” Levana cried.

“Yes, we may have lost the Levanna if it weren't for your quick thinking, White Lily,” Cait Sidhe declared.

“I'm sure Xanthe and Jett would have flown to rescue her had I not been here,” Azalea argued bashfully.

“We were shocked at the trick had failed. She may have been choked a minute later,” Jett argued.

“Can we not focus on the negative?” Xanthe asked with the shutter. “Azalea, you got to stay with us!”

“We can never repay you for saving Levanna if you leave,” Onyx Bolt insisted. Filled with joy at being wanted for once in her life, Azalea felt tears fill her eyes. Why search for family when she could have one here?

“Let me sleep on it,” Azalea replied with a grin.


To be continued...

Author's Note:

*Sheepishly leaves this update here and runs away*

I want to finish this and my other in progress works, but it's a little hard to find the time. I'll try to be better. :facehoof: