• Published 17th Jan 2019
  • 367 Views, 1 Comments

A Pink Odyssey - TPC-2k16



Space travel isn't possible. Right?

  • ...
 1
 367

A Pink Odyssey

“And so, after a long journey, Commander Slider and his crew had finally made it to their destination: the moon.” Pinkie Pie reads to the group of sick foals around her.

Today, Pinkie is visiting Ponyville General, in place of a busy Twilight Sparkle, to read to all the sick foals who've came down with the chicken pox.

“Commander Slider looked all around him, and gave a great, big ol' sigh of relief. For he knew that his crew had made it.”

“Through all the hardships and turmoils, the ponies had made the impossible possible.”

“They partied all night long, celebrating their accomplishment.”

“And at the very end, Commander Slider took one long look at his crew. From the things they went through all for this moment, and smiled big. The End.”

Pinkie closes the book, setting it aside and looking at the clock on the wall.

“Oh dear, I'm afraid our time has come to an end.” She says sadly to all the foals, the response back being a slight moan.

“Now now, no need to worry. I'm sure Twilight will be back same time next week, okie dokie lokie?”

The foals just shrug it off, walking back to their beds so they can rest up some more. Pinkie taking the liberty by going to each one to either tuck in or wish him/her a good slumber.

As Pinkie was at the final bed, the already tucked in sick foal (male with brown coat with white spots, dark brown mane and tail.) asked her: “Is it really possible for a pony to go to the moon?”

“Well sure, just ask Princess Luna.” Pinkie jokes to him.

The sick foal just stares at Pinkie, not seeming to find her joke funny. “Well what I mean is, can a pony get there... without magic?”

Right there right now, Pinkie feels an unknown feeling. A feeling that she may or may have not felt before. A feeling that'll just make her mane deflate in unknowingness.

“Well, you see, I guess it could be possible but...” Pinkie says nervously, trying to answer the sick foal’s question.

'What to say, what to say.'

'I know. I'll ask Twilight. She always knows science-y stuff that I don't quite understand.'

Pinkie gives a small kiss on the foal’s forehead. “No need to worry ‘bout that. Your Auntie Pinkie Pie here will find an answer for your question and tell you same time next week, kapleesh?” As a sign of agreement, a smile appears on both their faces.

As Pinkie walks away from the bed to go retrieve her things, a thought just so happens to now pop into her head.

“Wha... but what if Twilight doesn't know the answer to it? What if it actually isn't possible?! What if...?" Thinking this causes Pinkie to have so many feelings of anxiety.

“Oh boy, I think I may have myself in a bit of a pickle here.” Pinkie says as she looks into the fourth wall.

* * *

“Like I said, I'm sure Twilight knows all about space travel and such. Nothing to worry about.” Pinkie says to make herself feel less worried.

After leaving the hospital, Pinkie decided to just head straight towards Twilight's Castle, with her usual pink saddlebags filled of her supplies on her back.

Pinkie walks up the Castle's steps, knocking three times on the door, only for the big double doors to open easily.

“Huh, Twilight usually never leaves the front door this open this time of day.” Pinkie says to herself as she walks right in.

'Where to find Twilight?'

'The Castle Library of course!'

Pinkie starts to head that direction. Once she gets there does she see the Library's doors open only just a smudge, her curiously going over to peek through the open crack.

In the library, Pinkie can see Twilight along with her student, Starlight Glimmer.

The two seeming to be working on something important.

Probably something with magic.

“I should just leave them both be. Don't wanna be a distraction.” Pinkie says quietly while backing up, not noticing however her backing up right into Spike behind her, causing him to fall and scattering the huge stack of papers he was holding.

“Oh, I'm awfully sorry. It's just, I didn't wanna be a bother and interrupt their work. Guess that caused me to not see ya?” Pinkie explains while holding a hoof out to Spike, him taking it to get back up, the two then helping each other both pick up the papers from off the floor.

“It's okay Pinkie. Besides, I for sure ain't feeling as awake as those two.” Spike points his claw back towards the Library's entrance. “So anyways, how'd this morning go? Again, it was nice of you to take Twilight's place this week. As you just saw, her and Starlight have been working extra pretty hard this whole week.”

“Oh, it was no problem. Everypony knows I do well when taking care of little ones.”

“Alright." Spike, deep down, cringing at what Pinkie just said. What considering how she is around Pound and Pumpkin. "So what brings you to the castle during this time of day?”

Pinkie then remembers the reason why she's here, having forgotten a little because of her conversation with Spike.

“Ah well, I wanted to ask Twilight something-”

“Ask me what?” A voice sounds from behind her.

Pinkie turns her head to see Twilight and Starlight both in the Library's doorway.

“I heard you two talking out here, and I figure me and Starlight ought could use a break.”

Starlight walks on over to where the Kitchen is. “I'll leave you two be. Plus, I could use a snack. Can't practice magic on an empty stomach, right?”

“I think I will too. After Pinkie tells me what she has on her mind.”

Pinkie turns a full 360 degrees towards Twilight, trying to word out the question in her head. “Right listen, while I was reading to the foals and helping put them to sleep-”

“Again I have to say thank you for being there for me. I was just super extra busy today for me and Spike to be able to make it.” Twilight interrupts Pinkie.

“Aw thanks, It was no problem. Now back to my question.” Pinkie takes a second to think it through.

“You see I was reading the foals this book," Pinkie opens up her saddlebag to pull out the book, doing so with her front curl, “and a little while later, while tucking them in, a small foal asked me if space travel by anything but magic is possible?”

A look of worry appears on Twilight's face. “And what'd you tell him?”

“Oh, well, that I'll have an answer for him by next week. And I thought to ask you if it is. So, is it?” Pinkie asks, hoping that Twilight may know.

“Ah well...” Twilight thinks for a second. “I'm sure I've got a book to answer that question of yours.” Twilight walks into the Library, Pinkie following from behind.

Twilight goes over to one of the bookshelves, scanning for a certain book it looks like. Pinkie taking a seat behind her.

“Ah, here we are," Twilight levitates a book out, “The Average Pony’s Guide to Space Travel. This may lend an answer to your question.”

Twilight opens up the book, reading it intensely.

However, while reading, looks of worry and uncertainty appears on her face.

“Oh no. Is it bad?” Pinkie asks, worried as in response to Twilight's reaction.

“I don't know. It seems that this book doesn't have the answer you're looking for," Twilight levitates another book over to her, opening it up and reading, "Ah here it is.”

Pinkie gives a sigh of relief, feeling less worrisome.

Though after going through it, Twilight lays the book down, looks of uncertainty still on her face.

“Well um... both books say space travel without magic is almost impossible. That Ponykind hasn’t yet made advancements towards the technology needed in order to make trips intergalactically.”

“Oh, so it's a no then.” Pinkie says defeatingly, sliding down from her chair onto the Castle's Library floor.

Hey, no need to beat yourself up over this. It's quite common for ponies, especially foals, to ask these kind of questions. Why, when me and Shining Armor were just foals ourselves, we thought the same thing.” Twilight said to try to comfort her friend.

“I know. It's just, what exactly am I gonna tell that sick foal who asked?”

Hmm, you're in quite a pickle here. You wanna make him feel happy, but you don't wanna flat-out lie. Applejack would never speak to you for a week.”

Going through Pinkie’s head, she starts imagining different scenarios.

One being telling him the truth, that space travel without magic isn't possible, but seeing almost immediately the foal becoming sad, going into a depression like state.

Another one being her lying to him, and while seeing the foal being happy, out of the corner of her eye, Applejack appears, shaking her head and staring at her disapprovingly.

While this was all going through her head, an idea pops up.

“I think I know what to do.”

* * *

“It's sure been a while since we last saw Pinkie Pie. I hope everything is okay.” Spike says to Twilight as the two walk over to Sugarcube Corner.

“I just hope she isn't too upset after what I had told her.” Twilight says worryingly.

The two walk in through the doors, asking Mrs. Cake if she know of Pinkie’s whereabouts.

“Hm, last I saw her was this morning, coming down from her room for a tray of cupcakes, then back up. Mentioned something about doing the 'impossible'.” Mrs. Cake tells the two, a look of worry in her eyes.

“I think I may know what's going on,” Twilight says to Spike and Mrs. Cake both, "Come on Spike.”

The two walk up the stairs, making their way to Pinkie’s room.

As soon as the two get to her room, let's just say they were both very surprised at what they saw.

Scattered all over the walls, ceiling, furniture and floor being pieces of papers, some altogether showing a picture of a rocket ship, the others with very scientific writings written on them.

Overall, Pinkie Pie’s bedroom being a mess, along with all the scattered, crumbled up cupcake wrappers all over the floor.

Woah! It's looks like Pinkie had a little too much sugar this morning, don’t cha think?” Spike nudges his elbow at Twilight at the site of Pinkie’s messy room.

“I just hope everything is okay.” Twilight says back to him.

Looking around, their eyes darts both of them off to the farest corner.

There, Twilight and Spike find a frazzled Pinkie Pie, her mane all tangled up, not in its usual curly self. Also having pieces of sticky cupcake/wrapper stuck in her mane.

Again overall, Pinkie looking like a mess.

She appears to be staring intensely at the corner, crouched down, not noticing Twilight and Spike come in.

“Pinkie, what in wide, wide world of Equestria happened? Why are you like this?” Twilight asks her.

“Oh nothing," Pinkie faces them both, "Just figuring out a way to make space travel possible, that's all.” Pinkie answers back in a sarcastic yet somewhat serious tone.

“Oh," Twilight walks over to where Pinkie Pie is, crouching down to her, “If this is about that foal’s question, don't cha think you're taking this a little too seriously. I'm sure there's an easier solution than,” Twilight waves a hoof around the room, "This.”

Pinkie stands herself up to face Twilight, “And I know. It's just, after I said I've have an answer, I just wanna give back, make him be happy and not worry about being sick.”

“Hmm, I see that this is really eating you up inside," Twilight stops for a second to think of an idea that just popped in her head, “And I think I may have a solution. One that I'm sure everypony’s gonna love.”

Right there, Pinkie decides to finally give up on handling the problem all by herself, trusting in her friend’s idea. “I guess we could give it a shot. As long as it makes everypony happy, then I'm happy.”

A smile appears on both Pinkie’s and Twilight’s faces.

* * *

(One Week Later)

“So, what's the plan again?” Pinkie asks Twilight as the two head for Ponyville General, Pinkie carrying with her the same saddlebags she brought last week.

“Oh it's simple. All you do is read to the foals the book I gave you. You did bring it, right?”

Yesteree!” Pinkie’s front curl opens up her saddlebag, taking the book out and throwing it up into the air, making it do a full 360 spin before Pinkie catches it with her mane.

The name of the book being called “A Pony’s Odyssey”.

“Excellent. Just stick to the plan and let me do my part, kapleesh?”

Pinkie nods her head in response to Twilight, using her mane to put the book back in her bags.

While the two are walking to their destination, Pinkie asks Twilight: “So, is whatever you have planned gonna help answer that sick foal's question from earlier? You know the one who wonders if space travel without magic is possible.”

“Well not exactly, but I think he'll be in for quite the surprise.”

The two then arrived at Ponyville General, Pinkie feeling quite confident in Twilight's plan.

* * *

So Pinkie and Twilight both appeared in the sick foal’s room at the hospital. Pinkie sitting on a wooden chair with the foals seated around her on the floor. Twilight standing in the back.

The sick foals have just finished eating their snacks Pinkie and Twilight brought them (cupcakes and some veggies) and are now ready for their weekly story time.

“So who’s excited, I know I’m excited, for the story about to be told today!?” Pinkie enthusiastically asks them all.

One of the foals raises one of his hooves in the air, asking a question: “Is this week’s story about dragons?”

“Sorry but no. The story we’ll be reading today is called,” Pinkie looks at the book’s cover for a second before showing it to the foals, “A Pony’s Odyssey”. Pinkie making a ‘Oooooo’ sound after saying the title.

The sick foals all look at each other with a smile on their faces, Pinkie doing the same seeing this.

“Alright. Enough chitchatting and let’s read on!” Pinkie says happily then before opening up the book gives a slight wink towards Twilight in the back. Twilight starting to power up her horn now.

Pinkie opens up the book and starts reading: “Once upon a time, in the little town of Ponyville, lived a little unicorn named Cloverleaf. Cloverleaf always had her head stuck in the stars, figuratively and literally, dreaming of one day, her being able to visit the same stars she looks and thinks about every night.”

Pinkie looks over at Twilight after finishing the first page, seeing her look about ready.

“And so, Cloverleaf studied magic day and night, studied so hard she could do it practically in her sleep even, hoping that one day she could come up with a spell that'll allow her to visit the very same stars she looked at all her life. Why, it was so stressful that she thought she might explode!" Pinkie emphasizes.

Pinkie turns over to a new page in the book, looking over to see Twilight just about ready to use her horn.

“Then one day, Cloverleaf finally thought she had it. The spell that was gonna take her to see the stars once and for all. She powered up her horn and began casting it, immediately afterwards, in an instant, appearing next to the very same stars she’d seen from so far all her life.”

Immediately coming out of Twilight’s horn, the whole room is filled with the background of space itself, the stars and planets appearing the more closer to everypony.

Pinkie looks up at all of the things happening in front of her, giving a big smile and continuing to read.

Coming out of Twilight’s horn next being an anti gravity spell, the foals in the room starting to immediately be able to float freely, without that pesky gravity.

With all the foals now floating in the room, pretty much all of them seeming to enjoy it, Pinkie looks over at Twilight, her trying to keep everything together with her horn, smiling big at her.

Pinkie looks farther into the book, seeing of how much longer she has to read, though it appeared that the rest of the book is just filled with pictures of Cloverleaf exploring the planets and stars.

Seeing this, Pinkie closes up the book, throws it behind her, though the book just floated away dued to Twilight’s anti gravity spell, and jumps right in take in the fun.

* * *

“Well I am sure glad that that is all over,” Pinkie says to Twilight as they both walk away outside from Ponyville General, “And am I ever so grateful that you were able to help me. WIthout you I’d probably still be in my room all kookied up.”

“Mmhm," Twilight nods her head, “Always having a friend to offer insight into their predicament is a good sign of having a strong solid friendship.”

Pinkie smiles at her friend. “Say I was wondering, where’d you learn that new spell of yours anyways? I don’t think I’ve ever seen you cast any other like it.”

“Oh uh, well I-”

“Well well well. If it isn’t Princess Twilight herself.” Appearing out of the bushes literally comes Trixie, interrupting Twilight.

Trixie walks over to the both of the, still a few bush leaves in her hair, putting a hoof around Twilight's neck, smiling deviously. Twilight giving a weak smile back.

“Trixie? What are you doing here? And why were you hiding in the bushes?” Pinkie asks her.

“Well uh..., that second one is not important. What is important is that Twilight here promised to teach me any spell I wanted if I could teach her how to do a simple magical background spell. And from your smiling faces, I’ll say the foals liked it.” Trixie explains to Pinkie, patting a hoof on Twilight’s chest, smiling wide and boastly.

“Oh well, that explains that.” Pinkie says to Twilight, her question being answered.

“So what are you doing next? I was thinking to celebrate, we could try out that new chocolate fountain the Cakes just bought. If you're free and don’t have studying to do.” Pinkie tells Twilight.

“Well that sounds nice, but I’m afraid Twilight here will be busy with something involving me and magic.” Trixie says to Pinkie as an answer for Twilight.

“Maybe I can squeeze in some time for us tomorrow Pinkie. But for now I guess I’m busy.” Twilight looks/motions towards Trixie.

“Oh, well okie dokie lokie. Tomorrow maybe.” Pinkie starts to walk away too from the two unicorns, heading towards most likely Sugarcube Corner.

While walking away she can still hear the two’s conversation:

“So uh, what magic spells you need taught?” Twilight most likely asks.

“Oh well, as you ask,” Trixie says before taking out a scroll, unrolling it to reveal the scroll being long.

Pinkie can hear Twilight give a long sigh before finally walking out of their conversation.

“Well, what a time this was.” Pinkie says to herself relaxingly.

And so ends this tale.

Author's Note:

Ah well, glad this is finally over.
You won’t believe how long this story took.

Anyway, will I upload another story?
Maybe. I am working on a big story but not sure if it’ll ever be/get done.

See ya.