• Published 30th Apr 2017
  • 878 Views, 22 Comments

Don't Feel Guilty My Little Pony - midnight-chaser



Being 19 years old and living in your childhood town filled with ponies is not easy. Especially not when you're the last human in your country, while some racist unicorn wants to turn you into a pony against you will.

  • ...
9
 22
 878

Living With The Past

Author's Note:

This is my first fanfic, so if you see any mistakes please tell so I can correct them and thank you for showing interest.

Living With the Past

"Rasmus Erik Hansen" I heard a voice call out. I turned and looked to see my boss, Steel String Looking at me. She was a grey unicorn with a nice personality while being a bit bulky. She'd be nice to everyone but stern when needed. She listens to you and tries her best to keep the mood of her workers sky high which works well.

"The last human in Denmark known to ponies" she said giggling at me.

"It's actually called [Denmark] ma'am" I replied to her while speaking my mother's tounge.

She giggled at my Danish "When's the last time you had a sick day?" I put my right hand under my chin, thinking for a bit before replying.

"Not after I started working here ma'am why?" She let out another giggle.

"Well, I'm asking because you're never sick and also currently the best worker I have around" she nudges her head in the direction of my co-worker, Butter Rose.

Clumsy mare.

"She's not bad but she's just... very clumsy" indeed she was. Butter Rose was very clumsy, she could rival any other clumsy pony or human for that matter. Aside from her being clumsy she was actually a pretty good singer and a mother to three.

"Tell you what Rasmus" I turned towards Steel String. "Once you finish up here changing the pickups, I'm giving you the rest of the week off"

I raised a hand and was about to protest, when she stood up on her hind legs and put a hoof over my mouth.

"I don't wanna hear it" she said sternly. "I know you enjoy working here because your mind is focused on your job and you find it fun, but I'm not letting you work the rest of the week after you're done with that" She pointed her free hoof at my current work. "Got it?"

I stood there silent for a minute or two. I sighed and nodded in defeat which caused her to smile and giggle. "Good! Now finish up and have a good day" and with that she calmly headed back to her office.

It was weird I'll admit, getting the rest of the week off just like that. My job is working at an instrument store called String Theory. I work at at fixing and changing the hardware of the guitars basses and such when I'm not at the front desk taking orders. I still wanna know how ponies can play these damn instruments when they don't have any fingers! It's probably something magical about the instruments.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I finished my current task then, headed to the front desk of the shop and looked to see a blue teenage pegasus. He's the one who had asked me to change his pickups for his guitar for a small price of 15 bits. String Theory doesn't really charge that much for changing pickups on a guitar or helping putting strings on and tuning them correctly.

"So Prism" I started getting the pegasus' attention. "Missed this bad boy of yours?" He chuckled a bit and got over to the front desk.

"I take that the best guitar fixer has done his magic" He said while I chuckled at his comment.

"Prism, you know that's not true" I said while ruffling his mane a bit to which he recoiled and let out a 'ha!'

"Then how come a lot of ponies here come to this shop to get their gear fixed let alone still listening to your album?" This took me by surprise. I had recored an album a little over a year ago. Of course it wasn't a big hit which was expected, but it was fun none the less.

"Really? I thought that album was forgotten by now" I said and plugged his guitar into a small amplifier on the desk to test the sound. He sat on a chair and strummed his guitar a bit and hitting a few chords.

"Well my mom still listens to the album, she finds it amazing that someone can sing about their pain like that" He obviously reffered to my parents. I started to remember that day but quickly shrugged it off.

"I'm not the first one to do so" I stated which was true. There had been other bands both pony and human bands that had been singing about pain.

"True" Prism replied "But your voice was perfect for the song 'Nothing Else Matters'!" His eyes lit up. "It's because of you I wanted to play guitar" he smiled widely.

it was? I never really thought about it that way when Prism walked into the store the first time and saw me with wide eyes. I thought it was because he saw a human for the first time. I've been played a fool it seems.

"-and you've been nominated!" Snapping back to reality, I looked at Prism who was showing me a magazine about music which I've never seen before.

"I've been what?" I asked and he chuckled

"You've been nominated Rasmus. I'll quote it" he said again still smiling. "'Tragedy and Time' an album made and produced by a human under the name of 'Rasmus Erik Hansen'"

There's no way I was nominated. It seems unlikly, though I kept listening.

"It's said that he made this album to cope with the loss of his parents a few years back. The album is about love, pain, hatred and depression" Prism looked up at me and put the magazine on the desk and slid it over to me

"That's not all it says about the album" he said and packed his guitar in his case which I somehow managed to miss. "Sadly I gotta go, have a good day Rasmus"

He exited the store and I took a look at the magazine for a second. "Nominated huh? Paying it no mind I just put the magazine back on the table and went to go get my things from my locker. I grabbed my coat and said my goodbyes for the day and headed home.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I Walked the road to my house while taking in the sounds of various things. Ponies zooming past me for whatever reason they had. I dunno why but these ponies seemed to lighten my mood whenever I walked near them. It's like a nice little ray of happiness gets shot upon you.

I didn't buy what Prism had said about me being nominated for some music ceremony. A human being nominated for the single and only album he made? Seems unlikely.

I kept walking and saw a small filly look and point at me in surprise, probably because of the fact I was the only human left in Denmark. I get that a lot, but I pay it no mind. Still I kept walking.

"Hey mister!" I turned around and saw a young filly running up to me. "Mister mister wait up!"

I stood still and waited for her to catch up and looked at her.

"Can I help you?" I asked the filly "I wouldn't just run up to a stranger if I were you"

She giggled at that "I know who you are mister, so does everyone in this place"

I tilted my head at her as we started walking again. "Well yes I am the only human left in Denmark" I told her

"So that's what this place was called? Denmark" She had a thoughtful look on her face "Sounds nice"

"Where's your parents?" I asked "I don't wanna make them worry"

She kept giggling "Don't worry mister Hansen. They won't worry" I stopped and looked down at her to see that she wasn't there.

The actual fuck? First I'm told I'm nominated for some music ceremony and then a filly disapears? I couldn't get my head around it.

I shrugged it off and thought that it might've been something I ate and headed home.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


I came home at roughly 1:18pm, still surprised that I got the rest of the week off. it's only tuesday for crying out loud! I don't even get any offers for working in the weekends if there's workers needed. "Guess I'm too qualified for that according to my boss" I mumbled.

My house isn't that big either, I have what I need here. A bedroom, a kitchen, a bathroom and a small livingroom with a hall connecting it all together.

I hang my coat on a hanger and get my shoes off. "Fucking great..." I mentally cursed. "More time home alone where all I do is feel guilt" that wasn't exactly true, but for the most part it was. I felt guilt almost all the time when I was home. I always started thinking about that fateful night where my parents were murdered in cold blood.

I shut my eyes at the thought and shake it away. "No stop thinking about it. Don't dwell on the past, they'd never let you live it down!" Feeling the thought drift away slowly I grabbed my Les paul guitar, plugged it in my Fender Mustang guitar amp and then started playing some songs that I had on my album.

I played around for a good two hours before someone knocks on my door. Of course like the polite person I am. "Gimme a sec and I'll be there" I call out for them and packed away my guitar and amp then headed to answer the door.

When I opened the door, I saw an earth pony colt looking at the ground, ashamed over something. I knelt down to his level ruffling his mane a small bit and smiled

"What can I do for you little guy?" I asked.

He rubbed his foreleg a bit before answering. "I-I accidentally kicked my ball into your y-yard" he said almost sound like he was gonna cry.

I chuckled a bit and stood up again still smiling "Come on you don't have to feel ashamed about it Aether, I'm not mad at you" I assured him and let him in.

Ahh Aether. A sweet earth pony colt. When he and his parents moved in, I couldn't believe I was gonna have pony neighbors. It's really interesting actually.

I lead the poor colt over to my open glass door leading to my yard. He went and picked up his ball, which he quickly scooped up and started to head for my front door.

"Ahem!" He turned stiff as if he had done something wrong and carefully looked back at me as I entered and closed the glass door.

"You think you can just come here and retrieve your ball back and nothing else?" I asked to which he nodded slowly. I chuckled at him and went to my kitchen. A minute later I came back with a basket with chocolate in it.

"You're not leaving without this Aether" I said smiling at the colt who went wide eyed in surprise and started wagging his tail like a dog. I put the basket handle over his head and petted him a bit before he headed out my front door and waved farewell. I chuckled and waved him back before he went to his house next door.

"Adorable little fucker" I mentally cursed and closed the door. "Good thing I have you for all the treats I don't like" I chuckled at the thought.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hours had passed, it was 9:42pm as I was just sitting and scribbling down notes on this and that and creating guitar designs for both human and pony guitars. "It's still fucking weird they can play such things!" I kept metally cursing. I've been to a few shows before where some poines actually were playing on bass guitars and electric guitars.

I made a design for a pony guitar, resembling a lightning bolt mixed with the rainbow colors and a cloud on top of it. I'd been working on it for a few months now. Because of the shape I had to be careful so it wouldn't look uncomfortable or weird.

I looked over my design multiple times to make sure there wasn't a flaw in it. After a good 30 minutes or so just going over the design again and again I decided to email my design to Whammer. They seemed to like all my ideas so far. They liked all my ideas and those designs made their income increase by at least 400% over the course of 2 years. Interestingly enough because of that they're giving me some percentage of the purchase when they sell a guitar design I made. Lots of ponies seem to like those guitars so I'm getting a lot of money unwillingly.

Yes unwillingly. I don't really like earning too much money. I'll have more money then I'll ever need by the time I reach 25 if the ponies keep buying guitars with my design. I spent most of the money on charity since I felt it was needed.

I leaned back in my chair relaxing as I did so. My thoughts started to shuffle around in my head. Suddenly it all went back to October 14th, that fateful day I became alone. Trying to let the thought slide out of my head it stayed and I was in for a trip down memory lane.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I was home it was past 8:00pm and I was playing my now old guitar. My parents were in the famous Copenhagen market known as "Fisketorvet" which was a decent drive away. I noticed my phone suddenly light up and vibrate and notice it says my mother's calling me and answer it.

"[Hello, you've called Danish Takeout you're speaking with Rasmus]" I said laughing a small bit.

"[Yes hello, I'd like to know how your day has been]" my mom said while giggling.

"[It's fine, just fooling around on my guitar. How's the market?]" I was curious. Sure I didn't go shopping much or liked the big city but I wonder nonetheless.

"[It's fine but we're gonna be home later than expected]" my mother said "[Traffic suddenly became very crowed and annoying]" which is true about the market

"[It's fine mom, no need to rush I'll jus-]" but before I could finish I heard some commotion and so did my mother. Something wasn't right and we both very well knew it. There was an eerie silence as nothing happened. It felt like minutes then hours as me and my mother didn't say anything. then it happened.

I heard a gunshot through the phone and then my mother's scream in fear. After the gunshot which was probably aimed at my father hit him my mother got shot, shutting her up. I tried calling out to her, I got no answer. I called the police said there was a shooting going down at the market, to which they responded to quickly.

What seemed like hours had passed. A police officer had come to my home after I told them my address. He kept reassuring me that my parents were fine, but deep down I doubted it highly. Not long after the officer got a call and he talked to what I assumed was another officer. After a while he turns to me looking me in the eyes.

"[I'm sorry to say it pal]" he said and then took a deep breath. "[But your parents are dead]"

I felt saddness take a hold of me and I cried. I cried so much that I passed out, denying the fact they were dead. A month later they caught the murderer and put him behind bars.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I felt tears crawl down my cheeks as I remembered it all too well. My stereo turned on -I must've hit the remote- which suddenly began playing Nothing Else Matters which was the last song on my album. It was an acoustic song with an orchestral background. It kept playing as I cried myself to sleep.