• Published 23rd Apr 2017
  • 1,033 Views, 6 Comments

Mechanical Masterpiece - HeartfireFirebrand



Sweetie Belle discovers a secret about herself. I hope you enjoy it this is my first story on this site.

  • ...
7
 6
 1,033

Chapter 5 The First Day

Melanie yawned “It’s my first day on patrol.” She jumped out of her bed. She grabbed a hay sandwich and quickly shoved into her mouth as she ran down the stairs.

At the bottom she saw her mother and came to a screeching halt. Trixie said “I know your excited but slow down you don’t want to overdo it on your first day.”

Melanie said “I know, it’s just I’m glad I can make a difference.”

Trixie said “Of course, just don’t forget your armour.”

Melanie smiles nodding as she puts on her armour. She holds her helmet to her side as she darts out the door.

Two fillies meanwhile were watching. Applebloom asked “Scootaloo, do you have any idea why Sweetie is acting like this and why she keep calling herself Melanie?”

Scootaloo looked back at the last few days investigations and replied “No, I don’t have any idea.”

They followed Melanie to the guard barracks. They watched Melanie enter the guard barracks. They observe the barracks until Melanie walks out with 3 guards. Scootaloo said “I think Melanie is part of the guard.”

Applebloom shouted “That is crazy, fillies are not allowed in the guard.”

Melanie turned towards the bush. Scootaloo quickly put a hoof over Applebloom’s mouth. The two ponies next to her asked “Is there a problem?”

Melanie replied “No, I thought I heard something.”

Applebloom and Scootaloo follow them until they arrive at the edge of the Everfree. Applebloom said “Ah don’t think it’s wise to enter the Everfree. What if we get attacked by a timberwolf.”

Scootaloo said “We will never discover what’s happening if we don’t enter.”

Applebloom said “Fine, as long as we’re careful.”
The two little fillies entered the forest, being careful not to draw the attention of the guards, and their friend.

Further ahead Melanie was keeping a close eye on the are around them. She knew from what Rarity told her of the Everfree that it was easy to get lost. Veren and Appleeye were out in front steadily moving forward. Iso was looking at her hooves trying not to say anything. Melanie heard a rustling nearby. She asked “Did you hear that?”

Veren asked “What did you hear?”

Melanie said “Something quiet, probably something small ,still with the Everfree it could pose a threat whatever it is.”

Appleeye said “Then it’s not a issue. Unless it sounds large ignore it.”

Veren said “No, she’s right, this place has taken one too many guards. Defie nearly died from that mindset and she will never fight again.”
Iso let out a small whimper. Melanie asked “Iso, are you okay?”
Iso said “I’m fine.”

Melanie put a hoof on her back “It’s clear you not okay, It’s important to share you feelings.”

Iso looked away, trying not show her tears. Appleeye said “Look the little machine is crying. “
Iso burst into tears. Appleeye laughed until a hoof collided with his face. Appleeye glared at Melanie. He realised that she hadn’t moved. He turned to face Veren who was absolutely livid.

Veren roared “How dare you, she has a reason to be upset. One of us got hurt. We put our lives on the line every day. I have nights when I wake up in tears about guard ponies I couldn't save. Ones I had lost to this foul forest.”
Appleeye was about to reply when a loud scream came from behind them.

10 large timberwolves are chasing Applebloom and Scootaloo. Applebloom shouted “I told you we should have gone around.”

Scootaloo said “I thought we would lose them.”

Applebloom said “It would have helped if you didn’t step on one of their tails, ya know.”

One of the timberwolves was just about to bite Applebloom when Melanie slammed into it’s head with her hoofblade. Applebloom stopped as she noticed her friend behind her. Melanie said “You shouldn’t have followed us, we travel through the most monster filled parts of the Everfree.”

The other timberwolves prepared to strike. Machine guns popped out from Melanie’s forelegs and tore through them as they charged. Scootaloo ran back to see the carnage. Melanie frowned at her 2 friends just as Veren, Appleeye and Iso caught up. Appleeye asked angrily “Applebloom, what are you doing here?”

Applebloom cowered as she told them why the 2 fillies were there. “We were wondering why our friend was with the guards, Ah didn’t recognise you it’s been so long, Appleeye.”

Melanie said “I am part of the Everfree Patrol. We are a patrol group whose job is to tame the Everfree. The goal is to restore to the way it was a millennia ago. I am not with the guards, I am a part of the guards.”

Scootaloo asked “Why, are you part of the guard your just a filly and so is she, just noticing Iso.”

Applebloom sighed as she saw what Melanie had done “It’s because they are not like us. They look like us but they are closer to a toaster then a pony.”

Scootaloo said horrified “That’s a horrible thing to say.”

Melanie said “No, it’s not. She is just stating a fact. We were not born, we were built to serve a purpose. Iso is designed to be a combat unit. I was designed to be a civilian with weapons designed to deal with the worst of the Everfree as well as incredible durability so I would not ever die.”

Scootaloo went completely silent as if tiring to rationalise what she had just been told.
Applebloom asked calmly “Why do you call yourself Melanie?”

Melanie said “Because that is the name my mother gave me. She built me, to be her companion yet she gave me up so I could live a better life.”

Veren’s squad escorted Scootaloo and Applebloom out of the Everfree. They then returned to their patrol which largely remained uneventful.

When Melanie had returned she decided to pay a visit to her sister before heading home. Rarity opened the door to see, her sister outside. Rarity gave her a big hug. Melanie realised how frail her sister looked. She was hauntingly pale and her mane was a mess. Melanie asked “Why do you look so frail?”

Rarity said “I’m fine just tired. I really missed you, it hurt to see you leave.”

Melanie frowned “It’s only be a few days. I’m you sister I won’t just leave you. I may be a machine but I am still capable of love.”

Rarity smiled “I know you are. I need some sleep i have felt really tired lately.”

Rarity walked to her room and closed the door. Melanie was about to leave when she heard sobbing coming from Rarity’s room. She crept up to the door. She heard her sister crying “I know she has met her mother but it is so hard. She is my sister and I love her. I wish I was a normal pony. Instead I’m this.” A white light shone past the door.

Melanie pushed open the door to the shock of her sister. Melanie frowned at her sister’s true form. Rarity’s mane was like a purple cobweb. Her eyes where narrow and slitted.Her horn was crooked and had holes in it. Her hooves had holes in them as well. She also had small transparent wings which shared her mane’s colour. The rest of her body was white and cracked. Rarity screamed “Don’t look at me, I am a monster.”

Melanie gave her sister a hug. Rarity looked shocked. Melanie laughed “I am not exactly normal either. We are both hiding what really are from so many ponies. We are still family.”

Rarity said “Thanks Melanie. I guess the secret’s out, I’m a changeling and I will get kicked out of Equestria. Maybe it’s for the best, I feed on love and without you here I can’t get enough.”

Melanie said as she left “You feed on love, well then I guess I will spend 3 day a week living with you and 4 days with my mother. I will keep this secret, only me, you and Trixie will know.”

Melanie exited the Boutique leaving Rarity who resumed her true form, smiling as she watched her sister leave. Melanie arrived back home. Trixie asked “How was you first day?”

Melanie said “Good. I have something important to tell you.”

Trixie raised an eyebrow “What is it?”

Melanie said “Rarity is a changeling and she...”

Trixie interrupts shouting “A CHANGELING WE MUST REPORT THIS NOW! THEY STEAL LOVE!”

Meanie said “No, she’s still my sister. She has been feeding of the love I've giving her for years.”

Trixie looked at her daughter who eyes were filled with determination. Trixie said “Fine.”

Melanie said “I will stay with her 3 days a week and spend 4 days here. Hopefully that will be enough for her to keep going.”

Trixie said “Okay, I’m sorry it’s just I’ve heard so many rumours about changelings and love thief is the word I hear the most.”

Melanie said “It’s time for me to get some sleep. Today was exhausting, we will have another patrol in 2 days.”

Melanie crashed into her bed when she realised that her friends may spread who she really was to others. She worried all night about it.