• Published 31st Mar 2017
  • 303 Views, 14 Comments

Fallout Equestria: Dark Origins - DeadEndtheDullahan



Sola Eclipse, a pony from another era, has found himself in Stable-0 after waking up from a deep slumber within a black crystal. Little did he know of the evil he brought with him, or that he would have to go find his memories taken by that evil.

  • ...
2
 14
 303

Chapter 2: Dead

"prepare yourselves the bells have tolled, shelter your weak

your young and your old. Each of you shall pay the

final sum, cry for mercy the reckoning has come!"


"Hello! And thank you for testing out newest product; The Pip-Buck. (Please note that this device is in alpha testing and is subject to minor bugs and glitches.)

This Pip-Buck features the state of the art E.F.S. (Eyes Forward Sparkle), S.A.T.S. (Stable-Tec Assisted Targeting Spell), Mission tracking, and auto mapping. This Pip-Buck is also equipped with a radio, an inventory organizing spell, a vitality sensor, and a compass. Take note of the compass and E.F.S. at the bottom of your vision. This is achieved through magical probing that sends visual signals through your nervous system to your brain. If the probe ever becomes too uncomfortable for you, please get the attention of a Stable-Tec representative and they will remove the Pip-Buck for you. However, we must encourage you to push through the discomfort and continue the tests.

Now please, turn your attention to the instructors as they will guide you through the rest of the testing. Once again, we at Stable-Tec would like to thank you for helping us, help you to be prepared for the future (TM).

Happy Testing!"

=====***=====

"Oh man! Am I glad to see another smiling face. I mean. Wow, how long has it been since I saw somepony? Two hundred... and ten years? Doesn't matter. You're here now! And that's what counts. Um... By the way, could you help me out of this jar? I snorted algae a few years back and I think it had taken root."

I stared silently at the severed, smiling, unicorn head that just spoke to me. I then opened my mouth to say the one thing on my mind. "You're a talking head."

"A-yep! And a mighty happy one at that! Say, I don't suppose you have anything to drink in those bags of yours? Singing for over two hundred years straight can give you a really bad case of cottonmouth. And this liquid I'm swimming in isn't exactly thirst quenching."

I continued to stare unblinkingly as he talked to me. "You're a talking... head." My voice broke a little as panic slowly showed in it and my eyes.

The head looked slightly confused. "Yes... Hello, I'm Dead, and you are?" Dead motioned his muzzle for me to say something.

I opened my mouth once more. "You... are a talking... Head!" I nearly screamed at the sentient head that should be dead. Dead pondered my words. Yes, please realize that you're an impossibility. I believe in curses, ghosts maybe, but a talking severed head is where I draw the line. Just to talk you need air and he doesn't even have lungs!

His dead eyes looked into mine. "Ya lost me." He said matter-of-factly.

What am I witnessing here? There is no way this is real. Am I dreaming? It would make sense considering everything that had happened. Either that or I've gone insane.

"You're not dreaming." My eyes darted back to Dead. "And you're not insane, or at least I hope not." He added eying me.

"H-h-how did you..."

"Trust me." Dead interrupted my stuttering. "I know the expression. When a pony sees a Dullahan for the first time (and most times, only), they usually say 'this must be a dream' or 'I've gone insane.' Then they try to run when they realize it's not. Heh, fun times." Dead chuckled.

I don't get it, what's so fun about somepony running away from you?... Wait, hold on. I raised my hoof to get Dead's attention. "What's a Dullahan?"

He gave me a blank stare. "You know, a Dullahan." I shrugged my shoulders. "Death riders of the night? They hunt down corrupt souls and drag them down to Tartarus?" I cocked my head in confusion. "Um... The Headless Horse?" He added hopefully. I shook my head. "Damn. And I worked so hard on that one too. Okay, how bout this." Dead bargained., "You get me out of this jar and I'll tell you whatever the heck you want."

I pursed my lips as I contemplated his offer. I could use his help to get out of here. But... He looks like he's the thing of nightmares. On the other hoof, he could teach me about stuff I don't know. However... He reeeally looks like the thing of nightmares... and he's a talking head. Dead stared at me awaiting an answer. I sighed heavily, "Fine. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and help you out."

"Yay!" Dead figuratively jumped for joy. "I promise, you will not regret this. Thank you, Mister... uh."

I blinked in pleasant surprise. Mister? I'm starting to like this guy. "Sola Eclipse." I answered with a smile.

He smiled back, "It's a pleasure. Now, to open this thing just press the release button on top." I found the said button and pressed it. As soon as the container hissed open, Dead rocketed out of it by using his own telekinesis on himself. He trailed what looked like smoke from his neck. "Yes! Fresh air! Oh, how I missed you!" he exalted floating in the air, dripping a liquid that burned my nostrils with its perfume. He then continued to sore around the room giggling and laughing with a couple 'woo-hoo's added in.

I watched calmly as he flew around in circles. He sure looks like he's having fun, but... "Ahem! I'm glad I could help you in your dire need. However, I think it's about time we head out."

Dead stopped in mid-loop to listen to me and finished the loop by spiraling straight at me. He stopped inches from my face. "Oh, yes yes yes, That's right. We should definitely get out of this hellhole." He then floated to the metal cabinets pulling drawers at random. "I hope you don't mind that we take the scenic route though. There's something I want to check out." After opening the last drawer, the bookcase with a section of the wall opened up. (Ponies back then must have really liked secret passages.) Dead floated to and landed on my back. " But before we go. I must know one thing." He said with a serious face. "Why are you cosplaying as a princess?"

My only answer to that was a glare.

=====***=====

"So, you're a male Alicorn?" I nodded to Dead's question, "And you don't know how that is, because?"

"Because a smoke like entity named Sombra possessed a pony and used his magic to steal my memories." I explained as we passed a dark empty room in the secret research wing of this recycling facility. Dead had told me about how Stone Mason would collect old projects and failed experiments that were sent in by the Ministries or Stable-Tec. Also that he would even expand research on said items in secret and sell them to the highest bidder (whatever that means).

"You lost your memories too, eh?" Dead said while he was rooting around in my bag. "I'm sure you'll get em back. You just have to hunt down this Sombra guy, right? Now me, half of my memories went missing ever since I got separated from my body." He tugged at something inside my bag. "So logically, my memories are in my body, and I just have to find it."

That made me stop and look at him confused. "That makes no sense. How can your body hold memories without a brain?"

From my bag, Dead looked at me with a smug expression. "Ever heard of muscle memory?" I shrugged, "Well there you go. It just goes to show that... Yah!" He then jumped straight up in fear, levitating.

"What?" I asked with concern.

"It's... It's uh..." he spluttered with his eyes darting around and landed on something in my bag. "Is that meat of a giant insect?"

I looked for what he was referring to and saw the roach meat next to the revolver and Pre-war bits. "Why, yes it is. I found that roaches can be very tasty."

Dead landed on my back and fastened that saddlebag shut. "I'll have to take your word for that." He opened the other bag and instantly lit up to the sight of the object he was looking for. The Sparkle-Cola. "So, ya got any family?" He asked while biting the bottle cap.

I continued walking. "Yes, my father and two sisters." I said happily, glad in the fact that I remember something.

With a hiss and a pop, Dead opened the bottle. "Sisters? Oo, What are their names? Are they single? Are they hot?" He excitedly interrogated me and then a drink while I answered.

"Well, I don't remember much. Only that their names are Celestia and Luna." I felt a wet mist as Dead spat the Sparkle-Cola in surprise. It smelt of carrots.

"You are the Brother of Celestia and Luna?" I nodded to his disbelieving question. "THE Celestia and Luna?" I nodded again, unsure of what he's getting at. seeing that I didn't understand, he gave up and sighed. "Never mind. How bout your dad? He's not an Alicorn too is he?" He continued to drink the cola.

I stopped and looked in a lab that was trashed with a few skeletons and an empty armor rack. Then continued on. "No, my father's a Unicorn. He would teach me magic and stuff when I was a little colt, but all I wanted to do was fly and find my cutie mark outside."

Another fountain of Sparkle-Cola dowsed me. "You were an Alicorn when you were young? Before you got a cutie mark?!"

I glared at Dead dripping with the carroty drink. "Will you stop spitting that stuff on me?" I said in an angry tone.

He glared back at me. "Will you stop bullshitting me? The only possible way for you to be an Alicorn that young is if you were born one. And that's impossible!"

"Impossible?!" I shot back at him. "You are talking without airflow from lungs. You are drinking without a way to digest it. And you're telling me that me being an Alicorn at a young age is impossible?" Dead glared angrily at me, ready to explode.

Then he did, but in laughter. I shrank back in confusion as Dead busted up laughing. "Haha heheh! Sorry... sorry, something you said reminded me of a slew of jokes I would say to Stone Mason. Ahem." He reigned in his laughter still smiling. "I know we were arguing an' all, but my...Heart... wasn't into it. Hahaha!" He Chuckled, "You can say that I didn't have the... Guts... to continue. Yahahaha!" He chortled, "Woo! I could say one more, but I should stop while I'm a... Head! Wahahaha!" He laughed so hard that he fell to the ground rolling.

I don't understand. Wasn't he angry a moment ago? I doubt a reminder of some old jokes would make him forget about that. Plus, they aren't even that funny.

He then stopped and shot up to head level. "Well, that's enough exposition. Let's go find my body." Snagging the cola, he continued on and around a corner chugging what's left.

I stared after him disbelieving. What just happened? He was laughing his head off (now Sola, don't you start) and now he's serious? I gave a heavy defeated sigh as I mentally gave up. My head hurts. The familiar sound of glass shattering came from Dead's direction. I rushed around the corner to see Dead floating in the doorway of a room marked 'Containment.' Under him was the shattered remains of the cola bottle on the floor.

Cautiously I approached him. "Dead? Are you all right?" He muttered something in response, but I couldn't hear him completely. "If this is another sudden mood change, I'm going to forget finding your body and find the exit instead." I said while ducking around him to see his face and froze when I saw it. "Dead?" The expression on Dead's face was a mixture of shock, horror, and disbelief. I outstretched my wing and waved it in front of his eyes. There was no reaction, he just continued to stare unblinkingly. Then I noticed that he was quietly uttering 'gone' under his breath. I looked around for what was 'gone'. The Sparkle-Cola was definitely gone, but I don't think that's the reason for... Oh, no.

This containment room was chard from a long-dead fire. All the desks were flipped, their contents were tossed asunder. Every terminal was busted, and a large glass containment vessel was shattered. However, the most disturbing thing was the headless corpse that was burnt to chard bones in the center of the room.

Dead fell to the ground, crying in despair.

=====***=====

"Gone... gone... gone..." I closed the flap of my bag over Dead, muffling his continued muttering. He's been at it for roughly thirty minutes now, and I'm starting to get tired of it. I do pity the little guy, but he needs to get himself together. My stride faltered one step as I realized something. I should avoid saying that to Dead.

I followed the mission marker on my E.F.S. around a corner to yet another dead-end. This time there's a statue bust of Stone Mason the General Manager. It was smirking with its chin held high as if Stone Mason was being smug that I got lost in his facility. Even with the help of a mission marker. I lifted My Pip-Buck and checked my mission list. 'Wake up Call' was still active, but now it wants me to exit the Stable-Tec Recycling Facility. "So instead of pointing a way to the exit. It points at the exit." I gritted my teeth and growled, "Stupid piece of junk!" I swung the Pip-Buck as hard as I could and hit the bust's head clean off.

Three things happened in that instant. When my Pip-Buck made contact with that smug face, a button was pressed. Said button activated some sort of slow-motion spell. I watched as my Pip-Buck smashed through and shattered that head (it was beautiful in its own right). I then noticed a new addition to my vision. A green line ran from me to my objective through a wall. Suddenly, as fast as it activated the spell deactivated. The head's remains scattered to the ground and that line disappeared.

"That's interesting." I approached the wall that the line went through and examined it. After looking closer I found a seam running up the length of the wall. Airflow could be felt through it. I stepped back. "This must be a secret door." I looked around for the switch to open it and saw a red button on the bust where the head used to be. Happily pressing it, the wall opened up on squeaky hinges. Through it was a messy restroom with a half-broken wooden door. "I should've known that there would be a secret door." I may not have known Stone Mason, but it seems that he really liked secret passages. (Wouldn't be surprised if he helped in the design of Stable Zero.) To think, if it wasn't for that spell on my Pip-Buck I wouldn't have found it.

I took the time to look at the 'slow-motion' button to familiarize myself with it and found that it was marked with four letters, S.A.T.S.. If I recall correctly, Tender Care mentioned an S.A.T.S. spell in her recording. Maybe this was it. The world slowed down again as I pressed the button. The line reappeared leading me through the broken door. However, it turned off quicker this time. Perplexed, I hit the button again, but it only activated for an instant. I examined the Pip-Buck for damage. "I didn't break it, did I?" I asked, concerned that I broke it when I barely got to use it.

After seeing hardly a scuff on it, I tested the S.A.T.S. again. It worked longer than an instant, but still shorter than the first time. "hmm..." I started to pace in thought, "So it's not broken. But it still doesn't last as long as the first time." I stopped myself before I had hit my nose on a wall and continued my pacing through the broken door.

I paid no attention to how far more destroyed this area was compared to the research wing. "I wonder if it supposed to do that?" I continued my thought proses while stepping over some rubble. "If so, then that means the duration of the spell is variable to how I use it... Or how often." I stomped a hoof in excited discovery (Snap!). "Ah-ha! It has a recharge feat...ure?" Looking down, I saw what my hoof made contact with and Instantly jumped away from it.

In a silent panic, I glanced all around; left, right, up, down, and even under me. I exhale in relief once I was satisfied that nothing curse-like was going to happen. Then I looked at the skeletal leg sticking out of a pile of rubble. There were visible fractures in the bones from where I stepped on it. I bowed my head with my eyes closed and prayed an apology. "I am deeply sorry for fracturing your leg and disturbing your rest. So please don't curse me and be at peace." I gave a moment of silence. There was some wind whistling in the distance and Dead's Quiet mumbling.

I straightened myself and continued my path. Being very careful not to step on that leg again. However, after a few steps, there was another pair of skeletal legs. In fact, it was the whole rear-end of a skeleton with half of the spine. Long dried blood stained the tattered carpeting under it. With wide eyes, I followed a blood trail to where the rest of the corpse was, five feet away.

Its barding was eaten away by time, but I could still tell that the pale-green clothing was a type of uniform. For it had a unique patch on its shoulder. The Insignia was a pony skull with crossed assault rifles behind it and the word Militia on a banner under it. "Militia. It must be the name of their group." Though, something doesn't feel right. A Militia is essentially an army ran by the common people. Why would a soldier from such a group come to a recycling facility? Respectfully and gently, I reunited the two halves of the skeleton. It certainly wasn't to get in the Stable. According to that vice-president pony, that place is a well-kept secret. Unless he was here for the vast amounts of materials for rebuilding.

After sending out a silent prayer, I decided that that was the most logical reasons why. However, that does not explain how this one died in such a grotesque manner. I turned and continued down the hallway. "I'm just over thinking things." I scoffed, trotting along. But then, I came across a pair of double doors riddled with bullet holes. A decapitated skeleton laid at the foot of the doors with blood stains splattered on them. I cracked open a door, and sure enough, there was the head.

I grimaced at the thought of how hard and how many times does one have to slam a door to decapitate a pony. Then an eerie feeling came from the next room, sending shivers down my spine. I gulped as I hesitated to go through the doors. "Please be nothing... Please be nothing... Please be nothing." I chanted opening the doors and walking in.

The reception area was the very picture of a massacre. Militia skeletons were tossed about haphazardly. Each one had died in their own unique way. One, in particular, stood out above the rest. This Militia corpse was impaled from the pelvic bones through the ribcage with a flagpole. It was set up in the middle of the room.

I stood there awestruck at the sight. "What kind of monster would do such a thing?" I asked no one appalled. Whatever, or whoever it was (this seems too deliberate to be an act of a beast), must have been a hulking brute. Being able to lift a full-grown pony off the ground with a pole, would've taken an amazing feat of strength. I'm sure glad that I didn't wake up anybody in the Stable. This is downright terrifying.

A chilled breeze blew through the room and brought notice to a blood-stained paper in the pocket of the corpse's barding. Interested, I took the paper and read it. "Sergeant Candy Cane,

The following orders are considered classified. Sharing of any information pertaining to this mission is a punishable offense and certain measures will be taken accordingly.

An anonymous benefactor requested the Militia to retrieve secret research data from a Stable-Tec facility at the provided coordinates. I want you to take a squad, retrieve the data, and take any research projects that you can. After that, destroy the rest and report back to me.

May the Goddesses protect you and hasten your return.
Colonel Saltwater Taffy."

The Militia's insignia was stamped on after the signature.

I shivered slightly as I inhaled the chilly air, it smelt of dust. So these Militia soldiers came for the research wing. They were probably the ones who destroyed Dead's body... Keeping that a secret from him would be prudent. He's crazy enough as it is without a vendetta. as I stared at the corpse, I couldn't help but feel that these Militia fellows deserved this.

Except for the whistling wind, the room was quiet. Narrowing my eyes, I glanced around the room anxiously. "It's too quite." I whispered. What is this bad vibe I'm getting?

"Glare!"

I immediately turned around to the sound of a voice behind me. Except there was no-pony, only corpses around. "Hello?" I called out to the empty room. "Who's there?"

"Glaaare!"

Goosebumps ran up my neck as I recognized the voice. Turning my head, I saw thick smoke oozing from my bag and a pair of blue lifeless eyes giving me an evil glare from inside. Interesting though, on my E.F.S. a red mark was pointing in his direction. I was curious about what that meant.

"What did you just read?" Dead growled. Read? I looked at the letter I was levitating. Oh, horse apples! Did I read that out loud? So much for keeping it secret. He growled again, "Give it!" I complied and slowly levitated it to him. his blue aura overtook my golden aura, dragging the sheet of paper into the bag. Mumbles of him reading escaped the bag. Then he started chanting once more, but with malus soaking the word every time he said it. "Militia... Militia... Militia..." Gingerly, I secured the bag shut. Oh great! He went from depressed to angry. I don't think I can handle any more of these mood changes. The red mark on my E.F.S. disappeared as the smoke retreated back into my bag.

Huffing exasperated, I continued towards my objective. "Just think Sola. Once you leave this place, you won't have to worry about any more dead ponies. For I'll be soring in the sky." My wings stretched out in anticipation as I reached out with my magic to open the door. "Fresh air, clear skies..." The double doors suddenly burst open with a flurry of wind and snow. "...and a raging snowstorm."

My wings fell limp to my sides brushing the floor.

=====***=====

Crunch... Crunch... Crunch... Crunch...

My hooves crunched in the snow with every step I took. With one wing wrapped around me and the other blocking the wind from buffeting my face, I trudged on northward. The storm didn't let up the whole time I was walking. It was thick too.

Looking back, I could no longer see the recycling center. Every direction was white from the snow. If it wasn't for the E.F.S. to keep my baring, I would have been lost. A gust of frozen wind rammed against my impromptu windshield, threatening to knock me over. I pushed against it, gaining some ground. However, I Fell to my knees as a spastic shudder surge throughout my body. "D-damn. I-it-ss c-c-cold."

I can't believe out of all the supply crates those Militia brought, not one held any clothing. In fact, all I found was a small assortment of ammo for guns I don't have and a metal apple that my Pip-Buck name as a 'grenade' (Whatever that is). Though I found it strange that they were empty. It didn't seem like the place was disturbed since the Militia were killed (which was very disturbing). However, nothing helps with my predicament. The Stable barding was comfortable, but it wasn't made for freezing weather.

I got back up on my hooves and pushed forward. suddenly, the storm had gotten thicker and stronger. It nearly stopped me in my tracks, but a red light pierced through the blizzard. The harsh wind nipped and bit at my face as I stared at the arching light. When it had disappeared was when I realized that somepony shot that into the air. Which means somepony alive that's not a talking severed head.

I eagerly plowed through the blizzard the best I could towards the direction of the light. Where there are ponies there's shelter, and with shelter is a warm livable environment. I used the promise of warmth as motivation to push forward. However. a wall of wind and snow impeded my movement. I stumbled back a couple steps when the wind caught my wing just right. Not wanting the same result, I returned my wings to my sides.

My face stung as snow bit at my eyes, but I stood firm against the abuse. Then with confidence and hooves striking the ground, I charged the barrier head first. About a third of my body entered the wind wall in the initial charge. It felt like I was being pushed and pulled in six different directions. However, there was only one direction my muscles allowed me to go, forward.

With one hoof in front of the next, I managed to get my torso inside. Somehow the wind then changed its tactics. Instead of pushing and pulling, it's now hitting and beating. I could distinctly feel pointed strikes against my face, chest, and legs. Even a rock came out of nowhere and hit my gut. I cringed in pain. How is this happening? Is there a creature in the wind, or is the wind itself alive?

I then grounded my hooves once more an stomped onward. Either way, if I stop now I will surely die. My Rear-end then entered the wind with me. Every step thereafter was full of accomplishment. Then suddenly, the wind stopped pummeling me and I was relieved, but it then grew stronger still and lifted me off the ground. My legs flailed as I was spun out of control in every direction.

I didn't know how long I was tossed around like a ragdoll, but I quickly got tired of it and through out my wings. Though I was still spinning, I was in control now. With as much strength I could muster, I flapped my wings as hard as I could. By luck, I escaped the wall of wind and surfaced on the other side. The world spun around me as I went into a freefall and landed in a snowbank unharmed.

As I laid there in the snow, I found my self in total awe of what just happened. As a result, I kicked all four hooves into the air yelling triumphantly. My legs flopped back down as I stared into the sky. There was a slight overcast of clouds, but the blue sky could still be seen around some big fluffy white ones. Oh, how I wish I could just jump on one and take a nap.

A tremor then interrupted my daydreaming. I sat up and saw that I had landed just outside of a complex of sorts. My Pip-Buck made a noise to inform me that I found the 'E.L.Co. Train Station.' And from what I can tell, a firefight is occurring inside.

=====***=====

"Bucks-a-Plenty!" An angry looking earth pony stallion called out. "Come out! Bucks-a-Plenty!" No answer came from the solid steel wall and door that lead to a train tunnel.

After finding my way across three train platforms, up a flight of broken stairs, and through two destroyed stores, I arrived in the main entrance hall on the second floor. Once there, I stuck to cover as best as I could. Below, blood and bodies littered the main floor. Some of the ponies were looting the bodies and gathering up equipment and ammo.

The leader of the attackers nodded to his compatriots and three injured prisoners were brought before him. "I got some of yer ponies out 'ere! An I know they are just die-in to get back in!" He then dragged a prisoner forward and drew a weapon on him. "So how bout it? Yer life for theirs." The gun (If you can call it one) held in his mouth looked like literal junk that was stuck together to resemble a gun. After a moment of silence from the steel wall, he pulled the trigger and blew the prisoner's brains out.

This made me jump and bump into a dead potted plant. I quickly grabbed it with my telekinesis before it could make a noise. No pony downstairs seemed to have noticed me. Gently setting down the dead plant, resumed my surveillance. On my trek up here I was hoping that they were fighting off wild creatures, or even a monster. This, however, is what I arrived to; a different kind of monster.

The stallion holstered his weapon and wiped off some blood splatter off his face. " I really hate be'en ignored." He nodded and another prisoner was dragged forward. " Almost as much as repeating myself." he smiled drawing his gun once more.

I stopped breathing as I realized something horrid. This pony is going to kill them regardless if Bucks-a-Plenty agrees to the trade or not. The look on his face says it all. Despite what he just said, he loves to kill. My eyes started to dart around. There has to be something I can use to distract him.

In the middle of my search, I noticed that the red mark on my E.F.S. was back. Although, it didn't seem like it was pointing at anything in particular. I wonder what... No! What am I doing? I mentally slapped myself. This is no time for curiosity. At that moment, a glint of light shone in my eye. The ceiling of the entrance hall used to be made of glass. Now, it's just an old rusted frame that held the glass. Something reflective on the roof was glinting the light.

Bang!

I screamed in pain as a bullet lodged itself into my shoulder. With a limp, I scrambled to a destroyed storefront for better cover as the sniper took more potshots that were less accurate. falling behind some shelving, I could hear the sniper shouting. "Buzzkill Sir! I spotted another tango on the second floor!"

Buzzkill sighed agitatedly. "Damn Four Runners." He spat, "They're like fukin radroaches. You two. Git up there an put em out of my misery."

"Yes, sir!" His soldiers chorused together.

I could hear their hoof steps echoing closer. I hobbled my way to behind the sales counter with blood dripping down my leg. "This is bad." I hissed in pain as I checked my wound. "Really bad." I dug into my bag and found the healing potion. "Hope this works as the name says." Greedily chugging it down, I felt not only the bullet hole close up, but also my bite wounds from the Stable healed. I checked the most recent wound once more. It wasn't a hundred percent healed, and what's more, there was a lump under my skin that would cause a slight pain when agitated. Yep, that's a bullet.

There was a loud crash as one of the shelves were kicked over. "Oh Four Runner! Come out come out, wherever you are!"

I quickly moved into cover behind the sales counter. Flinching as the bullet squirmed in my shoulder. Two more red markers were on my E.F.S. "I see. The red marks point to those who wish to do me harm. Or rather, those who are actively trying to hurt me."

"Who's tryin?" I looked up wide-eyed to see the stallion who said that. He had a dirty yellow coat with a dark-brown mane. He also wore pale-green Barding, and his hoof punched me in the face! Before I could fall to the floor, he grabbed my neck and proceeded to choke me against the counter. My eyes bulged as my limbs flailed about for some leverage. My assailant turned his head to his companion. "Ha! A Unicorn! You owe me fifty caps." Turning back, he saw my flailing wings and stared at them confused. "What the hell?"

At that moment, I noticed how close my horn was to his face. Taking the opportunity presented to me. I jabbed my horn at him with all my strength. The resulting 'squish' forced him to fall back clutching at his right eye screaming in agony. While catching my breath leaning on the counter, I could hear my assailant scream out profanity that I would dare not to repeat. Then I saw his companion aim a junk pistol at me and I scrambled for cover.

Bullet after bullet slammed into my wooden cover. Luckily, none of the projectiles penetrated the counter. I unholstered my pistol and waited for him to stop shooting. When he did stop, I popped up and fired in his general direction three times to force him to dodge out of the way behind a shelf. While he did that, I ran for the exit nearly tripping over some debris. However, before I was in the clear, a gun fired behind me and hit my rear right leg. I fell to the dirty floor once more as I saw my pistol fly off to the ground floor.

Behind me, the one who shot me calmly followed me out the store reloading his gun. I tried to stand but failed. He kicked me to my side and stood over me. Locked and loaded. "This will teach you to not mess in Militia business."

"Militia?!" I Said with a strange combination of surprised and fear. Surprised; Because I didn't expect an army of the common people to act like brutish thugs. And fear; because he just said his group's name loud enough for Dead to hear.

"Militia!" As if on queue with my mental reasoning, smoke erupted from my bag and enveloped the Militia soldier. The junk gun fell to the ground as smoke was forced down his mouth and nose, into his lungs. With a crazed sinister look, Dead's face appeared out of the cloud of smoke. The Dullahan stared unblinkingly into the eyes of the suffocating stallion.

I watched in horror as the Militia soldier gasped for air, but he didn't get any. He tried to disperse the smoke with a hoof, though it didn't do him much good either. Dead smiled from ear to ear with an evil grin as tears started to run down the soldier's face. The soldier fell to the ground spasming. He then weakly raised a shaking hoof to Dead, as if he was pleading for his life (which he probably was). Dead continued to stare as the soldier fell limp. The longer he stared, the more dissatisfied his expression became. I know that soldier was going to kill me, but did he have to die in such a sadistic manner?

Then without warning, there was a gunshot and a bullet grazed Dead's cheek. A small cut formed on his face with a drop of blood oozing out. Licking the blood off his cheek, Dead saw the sniper on the roof. The sniper fired again, but in just harmlessly passed through the smoke. Dead's smile returned pared with a sinister laugh as he launched himself at the sniper. In response, the sniper opened fire with everything he had. The bullets, however, passed through the mass of smoke doing no damage.

Absentmindedly, I got up and hobbled to the railing. Not able to keep my eyes off of Dead as he toyed with the sniper by using smoke to blind and his horn to headbutt. "What the hell is going on up there?" Buzzkill yelled and I looked at him. Now that I have a clear view of him, I could that he was turquoise with a blond mane. Also, I could see the second prisoner bleeding on the floor at Buzzkill's hooves. His eyes then locked on mine.

At first, he looked confused, but then he looked like just saw a ghost. Suddenly, with a scream, the sniper fell from the roof to the ground floor in a way that snapped his neck instantly. If any Militia didn't notice Dead before, they did now with weapons drawn. Dead slowly followed the sniper down to the ground floor. "You know. There was a particular quote that I would say in this kind of situation." He said, still smiling his psychotic grin. "But It was already used in the beginning."

I could hear murmurs coming from the Militia. They didn't know what to make of the floating Unicorn head. Most were shaken and readying for a fight. Others were slowly inching their way to an exit. Buzzkill, however, was nowhere to be seen and his last prisoner was sneaking her way to the steel door. Then, somepony fired the first shot, but they missed the stationary target.

The rest opened fire while Dead zipped around dodging oncoming projectiles laughing with an insane laugh. Occasionally, he would fly near soldiers and they would get caught in some friendly fire. A few soldiers fled in terror as Dead shot straight up into the air and stopped his levitation spell. Then as he freefell his horn lit up with electricity sparky off of it. "Eat Chain Lightning suck-ahs!" He screamed, arching a lightning bolt into one Militia soldier which then branched out hitting two more. Those soldiers fell to the floor in pain. Their muscles forcefully contracted as lightning coerced through their bodies. Before Dead could be splattered on the ground, he caught himself in his levitation spell once again and sped off to his next victim.

I stood there in awe of his magical prowess. Even if it's just that one spell. That's still one more than I could do. I was suddenly, and violently, tackled by somepony from behind. We both flipped over the railing and fell to the ground floor. Somehow I managed to smash into the only bench around. It broke in half from the sudden force trauma. Groaning and whining in pain, I tried to get to my knees. Not far from me was my assailant, the same stallion who choked me, trying also to get up but failing. While I had a bench to break my fall. He had nothing and thus broke a rear leg. With teeth bared, he gave me the death glare with his left eye while his right was dribbling blood down his face. Then with one hoof in front of the other, he started to drag himself towards me using just his forelegs. "I'll kill you!" He growled through his teeth.

I tried to get away, but I fell down as the sharp pain returned to my shoulder. The bullet hole reopened when I had smashed into the bench. The Militia pony steadily got close. Fumbling, I Struggled To concentrate enough magic to lift my baton in defense. Between my wounds, the pony who wants to kill me, and stray bullets flying everywhere, I'm having a hard time forming the spell. Then when the stallion was nearly on top of me, Dead rocketed into him out of nowhere while yelling, "Yee-ha!"

The soldiers head whiplashed into the floor, knocking him out cold. Dead remained floating there when his eyes found me on the ground. "Oh! Hey Sola." He glanced down at the fainted soldier and back to me. "Sorry, was this one yours?"

Catching my breath, I also looked at the soldier and back to Dead. "Uh... No. Not at all. Thank you."

Dead smiled in response. "Not a problem. What are friends for?"

Friends? He's my friend? I returned the smile, truly happy to have a friend.

Bang!

My smile instantly disappeared and was replaced with utter shock. A single bullet was for once accurate, entering through Dead's temple and exited out the other. Dead's left eye had went crossed eyed as the bullet tore through his skull. His horn flickered off and he fell to my hooves, His face was lifeless. "Dead?" I asked with a quivering jaw. My hoof nudged the lifeless head. Blood oozed out of the hole and trickled down his chin. "Why?" With tears in my eyes, I turned my gaze to the one who killed him. It was a young buck standing there with the smoking gun in his mouth. His whole body was trembling. Dead was clearly his first kill, I could see it in his eyes, but that's no excuse.

My vision clouded with red as I stood up ignoring the pain. The buck aimed his weapon at me and yelled something (I don't know what, I stopped listening). "You killed my first and only friend!" I growled, flaring out my wings. The buck fired once more. It missed by a mile. I started to stalk forward as my horn lit up with a black aura. "Picture the heart in my mind." He fired at me three more times, but each one went wild and then the gun jammed. "Imagine my hooves on that heart." The buck then dropped his gun and started to claw at his chest with tears and fear in his eyes. I reared up onto my hind legs. "And smash it out of existence!" I yelled, slamming my forehooves onto the ground.

The buck's chest then exploded, sending blood and chunks of him everywhere. Since I stalked closer, I ended up drenched in the gore. When the buck landed in a pool of his blood, is when I snapped back to reality. My eyes widened in horror as I realized What I just done. All at once, the pain flooded back into my comprehension and I fell to my knees. My wings also fell limp and landed in the blood.

Some of the remaining Militia approached with reloaded guns, forming a firing line. I looked at my blood covered hooves, trembling. "Ready!" A Militia pony yelled. "Aim!" I could hear the firing mechanisms cock back, ready to fire. Uncontrollable tears started to run down my face. Tears for Dead and tears for the buck I had killed, but none for me. I deserve the pain and death coming my way.

When gunshots rang out, none of them were from the firing line. "Let's go Four Runners! Send these Militia assholes packin!" Cried out a mare coming from the steel door. A corresponding war cry announced a group of ponies charging into battle. The Militia fired back at the Four Runners as they retreated.

The world blurred around me as I started to feel lightheaded and collapsed onto the ground. I struggled to keep my eyes open, but everything went dark. Noise of the continued battle faded out and all I felt was cold. "Is this death?"

I had gotten no answer as I fell deeper into the darkness.

=====***=====

Level Up!

New Perk!

Bloody Mess, Rank 1:
"What? Where's my opponent? Oh, he's here... and there... and there... and there..."

  • 5% bonus damage means enemies will sometimes explode into a gory paste. Watch out for flying eyeballs!
Author's Note:

*In a superhero cartoon announcer's voice*
Could this be the end of our hero?
Did Dead really just "kick the bucket" without any legs?
Does anyone actually read the author's notes at the end of the chapters?
We'll find out next time in Fallout Equestria: Dark Origins!
*And end with a sweet guitar riff*

Yeah! Another chapter down, I don't know how many more to go!
Again, I'd like to thank Kkat for obvious reasons. Thank you to my editor Bah Blacksheep, and thank you too. Yes, you the reader. I would give all y'all a hug if I could (although that would be super strange and creepy).
Anyway, as always feel free to comment anything you wish. Good, bad, and the ugly. I accept all kinds of comments.
Happy reading! DeadEndtheDullahan out.