• Published 3rd Apr 2017
  • 1,216 Views, 26 Comments

The Girl of Tomorrow - RuinQueenofOblivion



Scootaloo has a secret that she's been holding onto her whole life, but when her two best friends are in danger, she uses her powers to help them. Now with her secret revealed, she has to help her city from very real threats.

  • ...
3
 26
 1,216

Chapter 1: Rescue

"Reports are still coming in about the recent comet explosion over Central City," the newscaster on the television said as Scootaloo turned the TV on. "There are luckily only a few reports of casualties, but there is a growing concern over the presence of radiation in the comet fragments. There does not seem to be any adverse effects at this time and scientists say that the radiation is mostly harmless to humans. We will continue to report on this story as information comes in."

Scootaloo shrugged and flipped through the channels, there wasn't a whole lot going on other than the reports on what was going on in Central City. It was odd to say the least, but just a few days ago a comet had somehow been missed by astronomers and had exploded over a major city.

"Hey Scoots, anythin' interestin' on?" A girl's voice and she turned to see a young woman about her age with yellow skin and medium length red hair.

"Not much really, just what's been on since the whole comet thing happened," Scootaloo said with a shrug as she adjusted her glasses a little. "It seems like its all anyone can talk about right now."

"Yeah, its certainly somethin', so did yah hear from Sweetie?"

"Oh, yeah, she said she'll be home tonight," Scootaloo said, Sweetie Belle, the third member of their little trio, had been visiting with her family until recently and was catching a plane back to National City. "She's catching a cab from the airport, she should be here in a couple of hours."

"Well, that's good, here's hopin' everythin' will be okay, things seem ta be gettin' weirder lately, with all tha aliens startin' ta show up around here" Apple Bloom said with a nod.

"Yeah, weird," Scootaloo said as she played with her hair a little.

She had learned a long time ago about her real heritage, when she was young her adopted parents had shown her the pod and information that they had recovered from it. It had taken a little getting used to being from a completely different planet, but she had kept it secret from anyone outside her family.

Heck she didn't even really need glasses but she had to wear lead lined ones because it was the only way to keep her x-ray vision in check. Yeah she had actual X-ray vision, that was something that took some getting used to, not to mention the flight.

When she started college at National City University she met two other girls her age Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. They had become close friends and she often hated that she had to hide the truth from them, they were her closest friends after all and she wasn't sure how they would take knowing that their best friend was an alien.

It didn't help that aliens were now pretty common knowledge on earth, while Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom didn't seem to have any problem with them, she didn't really feel ready to tell the truth about her heritage yet. Besides, she still wanted to be just a normal girl, she didn't want to have to run off fighting crime or something right now.

She didn't want to risk losing her two best friends in the whole world just because she didn't tell them the truth.

"So what do yah think we should do ta get ready fer Sweetie Belle's arrival?" Apple Bloom said as she looked over at Scootaloo.

"I don't know really, maybe get something from the store like cookies, get her her favorite dinner or something," Scootaloo said with a shrug.

"Come on, Ah've seen tha way yah look at her, yah don't honestly think Ah don't believe you want ta do something a bit more for her than just that," Apple Bloom said with a smirk which made the purple haired girl blush a little.

"Its, nothing like that, we're just really good friends is all," Scootaloo said with a blush as Apple Bloom just laughed a little, Scootaloo wasn't very good at hiding her feelings but she wasn't sure if she wanted to tell Sweetie yet or not.

"Uh-huh, sure that's tha case," Apple Bloom said with a laugh as Scootaloo just shook her head and adjusted her glasses again. "Yer not exactly good at lyin', yah know that?"

"Well that's me, Scootaloo Twister, open book," Scootaloo said with a chuckle as she just shook her head, if only Apple Bloom knew the truth. "What are you saying we should prepare a candlelight dinner for her or something?"

"Nah we don't have time fer that, but Ah know its crossed yer mind," Apple Bloom said with a chuckle.

"Okay, that's enough teasing me, we need to figure out what we're going to do," Scootaloo said as she just shook her head at the southern girl. "Come on, lets go get some pizza or something, that'll do it."

"Alright, fine," Apple Bloom said as they headed out to Scootaloo's car to get to the local pizza place.

00000

Half an hour later, Oceanic Airlines Flight 5204 was on approach to National City with its passengers getting ready for landing. Towards the middle of the plane a young woman with pale skin and a mixture of pink and purple hair was looking out her window at the plane wings.

Sweetie Belle had never really been uncomfortable flying, but somehow it felt weird tonight like something was going to happen at any moment. She couldn't really put her finger on why she kept getting this feeling, but it was probably just her imagination.

"Miss, we're on approach, you're going to have to put your seat back up," the flight attendant said to her.

"Oh, sorry," Sweetie said as she raised her seat back up, she was looking forward to getting back to National City so she could see her friends again.

Sweetie had been visiting her parents in Manehattan on a break from school, it had been a pretty nice visit, though her sister Rarity had been busy as usual so there hadn't been many opportunities to get together as a family. Still, it was nice to be able to see her family again and not have to worry about schoolwork for a few days.

She was about to relax when she saw something out of the corner of her eye, for a moment she thought it was just her imagination until she looked again and it was still there. Something was wrong with the plane's engine, it was starting to shake and shudder before suddenly bursting into flame.

The plane shuddered and the passengers screamed, Sweetie just grabbed hold of her armrests and hoped that everything would be okay somehow.

00000

"Ah swear, that place has tha slowest service Ah've ever seen," Apple Bloom said as she and Scootaloo walked out of the pizza place at around the same time the engines went out on the plane. "Ah knew we should have called ahead."

"Hey, it killed time at least," Scootaloo said with a shrug as she and Apple Bloom headed for the car again. "Come on, we can still stop somewhere in order to..."

That's when her ear twitched a little as her super hearing kicked in. She heard a report on a nearby police radio coming in that made her pause.

"All units, we have a report coming in of an airplane on approach from Manehattan having lost one engine and the other is looking like its going to go out at any moment, please be advised and be ready to help in any way possible."

An airplane from Manehattan? That had to be Sweetie's plane, and it was in trouble? Scootaloo looked around, no one was really paying attention to her, Apple Bloom was getting the car unlocked and ready to go.

Scootaloo knew what she needed to do, she wasn't going to risk letting one of her best friends get hurt... even if it meant she had to risk revealing her own secret.

"Hey Apple Bloom, I need to run to the restroom, I'll be back soon," Scootaloo said as she put the pizza on the hood of the car.

"Okay, don't take too long," Apple Bloom said as Scootaloo ran off, she didn't have much time to do anything to hide her identity so she pulled off her glasses and put them inside her pocket and adjusted her hair so it covered her face a little.

"Okay Scootaloo, this is it... lets do this," she said to herself and once she was sure that she was out of view of anyone else she took off into the night sky.

Apple Bloom looked up for a moment, she could've sworn she saw something flying off in the distance, buts he passed it off as just her imagination.

00000

Back on the airplane the passengers were starting to freak out at the feeling of the plane falling. Sweetie closed her eyes, she was terrified, was this where her life was going to end? She couldn't believe it, she was going to die just because of some dumb mechanical failure!

The crew was trying to calm the passengers down, when Sweetie looked back outside for a moment she could've sworn she saw something on the wing for a moment before it vanished again.

That's when there was a sudden stop as the plane seemed to level out, a minute later there was a thump as the plane carefully came in for a landing. The passengers looked around confused unsure of exactly what had just happened, had the pilots managed to pull the plane back up or was something else going on?

Sweetie breathed a sigh of relief and when she looked out the window she swore she saw a familiar orange and purple young woman flying away.

"Scootaloo?" She wondered out loud, what was going on? Had she imagined that or had she really seen her best friend flying?

"Hey, did anyone else see that?" A voice from behind her said and she turned to see that some of the others had been looking out the window. "I could've sworn I saw a girl flying away right after we landed."

"Yeah, I saw it too," another passenger said, more of them seemed to agree, which was odd, what was going on here?

"Scootaloo, what happened to you?" Sweetie wondered to herself as she looked back out the window, she was going to make sure to ask her friend as soon as she saw her again.

She sighed and started filing out of the plane's emergency exit with the other passengers.

00000

Sweetie had to stay for a few hours while all the passengers were checked and interviewed about what had happened on the plane. She pulled her car up to the small house that she shared with Scootaloo and Apple Bloom, it was late but by the looks of those lights they were both still awake.

"Sweetie Belle, yer okay!" Apple Bloom said as she opened the door and ran over and hugged Sweetie. "We heard about what happened, is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Sweetie said with a smile as Scootaloo walked out of the house next. "Hey Scoots, can we talk about something inside?"

Scootaloo flinched a little, she was afraid of that, Sweetie had probably seen her after all and she was afraid of how she was going to react.

"Yeah, okay, lets go inside," Scootaloo said with a sigh as they headed inside and they all took a seat in the living room. "Let me guess, you want to talk about what you saw don't you?"

"I know it was you who saved the plane Scootaloo," Sweetie said with a sigh as she looked at the other girl and Apple Bloom's eyes went wide.

"Wait, yah saved that plane?" Apple Bloom asked as she looked at Scootaloo in shock. "How did yah do that?"

"Its, a long story," Scootaloo said with a sigh as she played with her hair a little. "I know its hard to believe, but I'm not exactly human. I'm from a planet called Krypton, I just kinda look human."

"So, you're an alien?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Yeah."

The two girls exchanged looks and Scootaloo looked worried, what were they going to say? Were they going to stop wanting to be friends because of this? She didn't want to lose her best friends just because they found out she was from a different planet.

"That's so cool!" Sweetie said as she hugged Scootaloo.

"Yeah, that's great," Apple Bloom said with a smile as she joined the hug. "Yer our friend no matter what, and that ain't gonna change."

Scootaloo smiled and hugged her friends back. "You two are the best friends I could ask for, you know that?"

"We try," Apple Bloom said with a smirk.

"Come on, we need to work on your costume," Sweetie Belle said.

"Costume?"

"Yeah, if you're going to be flying around people are going to think you're a superhero or something, you might as well get an outfit," Sweetie pointed out. "Maybe something blue with a skirt..."

"No skirts!" Scootaloo protested and shook her head, what had she gotten herself into?