• Published 25th Mar 2017
  • 461 Views, 0 Comments

The Magic Labyrinth of I.M. Meen - Tom of Bedlam



Eccentric mage creates a magic book to capture intellectuals. Insert into ponyland and it writes itself.

  • ...
 0
 461

Prologue

Lightning smote at the towers of Canterlot Castle as the rain hammered down on the slate roofs; the many impacts created a dull roar that masked the desperate splashes of the robed figure who wheezed and choked as he dragged his exhausted frame towards the entrance.

Like a shadow cast on the skeletal ivory exterior of the Library, the hooded stallion dragged himself along with one hoof steadying him against the wall. His drenched mane, silver shot with grey, hung lankly over his dull brown face, but his eyes red rimmed and wild shone with a feral intensity. He loomed up to the window and peered across the reading room, the shadow cast from his navy coverings helping him blend into the darkness.

"Oh look what clever children, see them study watch them learn..." the emaciated figure shook with barely contained rage "...how I hate those goody goodies, how they make my stomach turn!" His nasal voice soaring as bolts of purple and green static arced off his horn illuminating his face in sickly hues. He coughed and sputtered, his wracked body unable to sustain the emotional intensity. When his fit subsided he continued to haul his carcass across the cobble stones to the exterior door.

As he approached the Prench doors he cackled to himself "I've got a little secret...huff...huff... that'll really make 'em cry..." the door was fastened against him so he lowered his horn "...it's a nasty kind of magic, *cough* from a special kind of guy". An oily smear of corpse colors encircled the spiral protruding from his forehead before three dull bolts leap off into the lock that clunked mechanically.

The doors swung open and everyone swiveled to see the ghoulish apparition outlined by a Lightning strike. Like the pony of shadows the shrouded figure stumbled in out of the downpour, rivulets pouring off of his robe leaving a trail of water as he made his way towards the rows of books. The racket of the storm outside was not enough to cover his labored breaths and all around drew away in unease at his frightening appearance and perceived ill health.

Finally reaching a shelf the Unicorn drew his eyes off the checkered marble floor to the oaken shelf before him, there was a gap between two worn tomes and with a furtive glance to ensure the shocked crowd behind could not see he drew out a manuscript of his own. His eyes closed in sepulchral awe and cracked lips muttered out as silently as they could "This book is made to order, but it isn't to be read, when they open up this book their sucked inside instead..." in the distance doors slammed open and the stallion adjusted his face into a flame filled leer at the book "...to the most unpleasant place they've ever seen..." he slid it into place as trotting hooves came to rest behind him.

A gruff guard barked out "Ignatius Mortimer Meen, you are under arrest for use of dark magic, the foalnapping of one filly, the foalnapping of one colt, suspected trespassing and possibly, if it can be proved, treason." The dark mage wheeled on the assembled soldiery casting off his cape; his mane sprang up and stood on end as bolts of power leaped and danced over him like a living plasma globe. They were a mixture of greens, purples and violets that lanced angrily at the surrounding furniture causing the books, shelves and carts to rattle with demented animation.

Ignatius drew himself up to his full height and screeched "...Very scary and confusing! Destination of my choosing! The magic labyrinth of I.M.Meen!" His final declaration done the magical storm reached a peak and the guards dived and scattered as the bolts of magic lightning torched books and zapped bystanders. With a tortured wail Meen burst into brilliant purple flames that vaporised his flesh instantaneously, his skeleton hung in place for a second before collapsing into a pile of charred bones that crumbled to ash.

Some of the guards drew forward before their commander shouted "Don't touch that! It is probably filled with all kinds of evil magic! Get a hazard crew in here!". So it was that I.M.Meen the foal killer left this world destroyed by his own power, his motives shrouded in dark secrecy, his crimes eventually forgotten; but unknown to anypony his legacy lived on.