• Published 2nd Mar 2017
  • 275 Views, 0 Comments

Equestria and The Arcane Islands - _LootsAHollow_



A century later, magic almost completely dissapears from Equestria. The princesses and elements of harmony are gone, but enemies remain. Hollow, 11 years old, joins the battle against enemies.

  • ...
 0
 275

Chapter 2: Long Nights

The moon shone lightly through the branches of the looming forest. It was a cold night and there were unfamiliar sounds echoing through the foliage. I followed my grandpa, wondering if he even knew where he was going. Moments of silence passed on when soon enough, Grandpa pierced it.

“This might be a long trip, Hollow. The night grows ever longer and darker, the longer the two sisters looms away.”

“What do you mean? Shouldn’t the night shorten if she were to fade away,” I said, as I thought of the dream I had of the princesses. Was it real? If it was, why did it happen?

“Ah, that is also true. But when the night grows longer, that means that something has happened to the ones who control the moon and sun, the Star Magicians, which also means that Luna and Celestia may not support the control anymore. This probably happened because of the attack on Canterlot,” He replied.

He decided to take a break from the possible wandering and camp in a nearby clearing. He set up a fire and asked me to gather dry, dead wood. When I came back only a few minutes later with piles of logs and sticks in my hand, I saw that he quickly prepared everything for the night despite his old age. The tents were set up, big chunks of trees were already set as chairs, luggage prepared for a quick dash just in case, food already set out, and bedrolls already laid down.

“How did you make the tent? Those logs must’ve been triple the weight of you and would’ve taken all of Equestria’s patien-.”

He interrupted with a hearty laugh and told me to sit next to him.

The moon was now high in the starry sky and the clouds rarely interrupted the glow. The eerie feel of the crowded forest now was replaced with a calm and relaxing sensation. The breeze of the open area was very subtle and lightly flicked the dancing fire. It felt like all of the past gore and terrors had just been plucked from my mind.

“I’ve had this question ever since you first defended the train from the fireball. Why are you able to use magic? Or, how are you able to utilize it?” I questioned.

“Hm, It’ll be hard to explain and might be a bit long. But if you’re that eager than I might just tell you.” he said.

“Please?”

“I might as well since we’ve got time. Now here’s how it goes,” he begun.



A while before your mother was born, I was an adventurous lad. I climbed the crystal mountains, passed the Crystal Empire and saw amazing sights. I ventured the ruins of Manehattan and Fillydelphia. Then I came across a dreaded forest that reeked of monsters and fear. But, none of that would stop me. I walked through with my head held high and the forest was crowded with black, ugly vines. I kept going until I stumbled across a crumbled castle. It’s walls were covered with moss and the glass cracked and scattered. The inside hold old, musty furniture but the banners of two alicorns that held high at the damaged windows were in good shape..

I then knew where I was. I was at the castle of the two princesses, the sisters that controlled the balance, the rulers of both night and sky, Celestia and Luna!

The astonishment of realizing it made me silent in awe. The breeze in the castle suddenly picked up into a raging wind. My mane was whipping around everywhere and I had to hold all my bearings so they wouldn’t fly away. My eyes were closed tight to protect from the debris. The rushing wind stopped. I opened my eyes to see a bright, white orb. Curiosity took over my mind, as I gazed at it. I walked up to it and placed my hoof under it. The orb glowed brighter and then began losing it’s shape. What was left of the orb was a liquid pool, floating in my hoof. It then spiraled from my hoof to my chest where it hovered and launched itself towards my heart. I lurched from the force and I suddenly came to a tree. It shimmered with elegance and I felt drawn towards it. I went over and touched the tree with my hoof. It gave off the same shimmering glow as the orb and glowed brighter and brighter until my vision became all white.

I came back to the same creepy castle and forest. My eyes hurt from the blinding light. I had not realized until later that a symbol, resembling fire, had marked my coat forever.

I scratched my head with my hoof. “A tree? An orb?”

“Don’t ask me, I wanted to know ever since that day, and telling the story has made me tired.” He said with a yawn. “But believe me, magic should not be used carefree. It’s an immense power with possibilities beyond imagination.”

“Yet, ponies before had used magic every single day. And the Star Magicians also control the moon and sun every single day.” I retorted. He frowned at me and I was beginning to believe that I was getting on his nerves. He went to the separate tent a couple feet away from mine and opened the flap entrance.

He looked at me drowsily. “Good night, Hollow. My old bones are already giving out on me so you’ll have to take care of things tonight so make sure to drench the fire, cover the ashes with something, bring water in from the river, organize the logs, and take watch for the night.”

“Wait but tha-!” Too late, he had already disappeared into the tent and faint snores could be heard from the outside.

I groaned, and set off to do the work. When I finished the work, the moon was high in the sky.
The disappearance of the sisters had made the moon and sun last for several more hours. The Star Magicians had made it better by reducing the hours but it was still unbearable.

I went into my tent and snuggled into my bedroll. It took me awhile to get comfortable. I shuffled around from one side to another and finally felt myself sink into my mind.

Luna appeared but from what was a white world was now a balcony hanging off of the Canterlot castle.

“Hello fellow-uhhh, what is thine name?”

“Hollow.” I said tiredly.

“Hollow, interesting name. Yes, interesting indeed.”

“What do you want? I’ve been through hell of a day.”

“Well, I do remember speaking about our next visit, did I not?” She questioned.

“Continue.”

“I do also remember you saying something. What has thou want to say?”

“Oh. Well I was going to say that Equestria has been attacked.” I expected the mare to be troubled but instead she remained calm and steady.

“I have predicted this ever since me and sister sealed ourselves.” She sighed and turned around towards the outside. I followed and looked out to expect a destroyed city over-ran by moss but instead was the exact opposite.

“It probably looks different from what you know. But, this is Canterlot and it was a paradise to many ponies.” She turned off her Canterlot voice and spoke modernly.

We stood side by side and my heart pounded intensely inside of my chest. The rhythm clashed in my ear. This was the first time that I had stood so close to a mare besides my mother.

“Yet, in your eyes, it’s now only ruins of something that has been forgotten.” She turned around and she gazed into my eyes as if she was seeking for something in there.

“I can not contact any other pony besides you. You must save Equestria.” She spoke in a clear and serious tone. I knew that deep inside of me, I saw not a princess, not a friend, but a burden. It was a heavy load to take. Yet, I also felt deep inside that this was my duty. She has placed her trust onto me, she is willing to risk everything on this underaged colt. That feeling pushed every single doubt I had away.
“You may be an unbearably, irresponsible, and reckless princess…” I looked from the balcony to her flaming eyes.

“But your wish, is my command.”