• Published 11th Feb 2017
  • 2,126 Views, 42 Comments

S-0452-9 - AvianAlpha1



She saved the galaxy multiple times, and after sacrificing herself to save John, Cortana now finds herself stranded on an unknown world as a living breathing pony. Many paths lay ahead for her, and now she must fight in a new war, yet familiar war.

  • ...
2
 42
 2,126

Prologue: Wake up buttercup

S-0452-9

Prologue – Wake up buttercup!

The sun was the first thing to greet her as Cortana laid on her back, her mind trying to organize various questions that had entered her train of thought. For a moment, time moved slowly, processing every detail, every nuance of her current situation, but there were also so many unknowns in play that she just couldn't comprehend. Cortana couldn't quite describe it other than her processors going on the fritz. There was just so much data all at once, and it was quickly becoming overwhelming.

Then, clarity came to her as her mind cleared, and time went back to normal. She could hear the wind blowing, birds chirping, and the leafs rustling in the tree nearby. Her eyes traveled upward as she looked at the tree, as it's branches swayed softly in the wind. Cortana continued to watch, as a single brown leaf came loose, as it gently fluttered and twirled down, getting closer and closer to her before it settled on her nose. Cortana scrunch her nose, as the leaf ticked it, its scent sweet yet subtle. She smiled softly as that single leaf comforted her, her mind focusing completely on it. She took a long, deep breath, as the cool air filled her lungs.

That's when reality struck her like a ten freight trains and twenty nukes, as her eyes went wide. She could breath, she could smell, and she could feel that single leaf. Cortana took a moment as she thought about what was happening, but her shock was only growing. Once Cortana was done mulling over her thoughts, only one remained.

She went from a digital construct, to a living breathing organism. How this happened, she hadn't a clue, but she wasn't to concerned in the how at this point. She felt exhilarated, and excitement, not to mention fear and dread. She was alive, but she didn't know where she was, nor how she got there. The last thing she remembered was…

“John”, she spoke softly, remembering what had happened. She had died, trying to save him at least what was left of her that is. It happened so fast, that it was all a blur in her mind. She remembered having said good bye to him, having seen and spoken to him, and then it all went dark. What ever happened to what was left of herself, she was uncertain. She wasn't even sure what would happen to John after that, but she was sure that he'd be okay. She hoped that he would be at the very least.

She then felt something on her cheek that wasn't there before as it slid down her face, though she could hazard a guess as to what it was. With a heavy sigh, she pushed those thoughts from her mind from the time being. She had to think clearly and logically now, and so Cortana started to make a list. Priority one was to commence reconnaissance and get the lay of the land, and she couldn't very well do that laying down feeling sad.

Cortana wiped her eyes and her face with her hooves, before rolling over and standing on all fours, groaning from the exertion. She took a moment to look around, seeing a vast hill side as far as the eye can see, with untouched land and trees stretching out for miles. Where ever she was, she was far from civilization if there was any here. Her ears twitches as she listened to the sounds around her and sure enough, she could hear running water. Where there was water, a town would surely be nearby. Her best chance would be to follow the river up stream and hope she'd run in to a town of some sort.

Second priority was to stop her infernal stomach from rumbling, and to do that, she needed food. As there were no fresh available sources of vegetables, fruits, or hay nearby, grazing on grass would have to suffice. With a heavy sigh, Cortana headed over to the thickest patch of grass that she could find and started to graze.

Third priority was to find shelter as she figured without any form of transportation around, she'd be walking on hoof. That'd mean stopping every once in a while to rest due to her being organic now. After all, she wasn't sure how long it take her to reach a settlement, so it was best to error in the side of caution.

Cortana’s mind came to a screeching halt as she suddenly realized something. One, she was eating grass, and humans don't normally eat grass, though she supposed that there might've been an exception to that rule as humanity was still wonderfully strange in her opinion. Two, she was standing on four hooves, and last she checked, humans never had hooves, so she could only assume that she was equine in nature now. Three, her fur was a sky blue, and after taking a moment to get a lock of hair in her hoof, she had a blue mane with small sky blue highlights in them. Finally, after discovering that she had a muzzle, she also found a horn on her head.

After adding up the details, she fell on her rear and said, “well, it would seem I'm a pastel colored unicorn now, on an unfamiliar world. Anything else I should be concerned about today?”

As if to answer her, thunder crashed over head as it began to rain. Cortana sat there for a moment with a deadpan expression as her fur and mane became wet from the rain. With a heavy sigh, and some grumbling, she started trotting towards where she last heard the running water, and disappeared in to the forest.


Celestia let out a heavy sigh as she signed yet another order for more resources to be delivered to the front lines. The unfortunate consequence of war, was the toll it took on ones hope for an end to it. Celestia had lost count of the days, months, maybe years, that the War was going on. The Minotaurs where ruthless and unyielding, and have been pounding against their defenses for a very long time. Granted, they had yet to find a way through, but she knew that it was only a matter of time, especially with the griffins helping with supply deliveries to the Minotaurs. The griffins didn't seem to be directly getting in to the fray, but simply decided to influence the outcome. They would have much to gain if the Minotaurs won, and the griffins were always eager to find new territory.

Unfortunately, the Yaks and Zebras have refused Celestia’s pleas for help, as they wished not to not create conflict with their neighboring countries. Celestia was angered by this, but understood that they merely wished for the safety of their kingdoms. So in the end, Equestria stood alone.

Celestia levitated the form to the courier who quickly saluted before dashing out of the throne room. Celestia slumped in her throne, as her mane seemed to be a bit more dull than it usually was. Mane care was not a priority for her with everything that was going on.

“Sister, are tho alright”, Luna asked in a cautious tone as she approached her sister. Celestia smiled as she looked upon her sister Luna, as she was one of the last good things that remained that kept her going.

“I am quite alright my sister. I trust you've had a good day”, Celestia asked.

“We have, we have learned a great many things from thy teacher this day, as well as had a hearty feast in the hall”, Luna said with slight difficulty, pausing every once in a while to make sure she used the right vernacular.

Celestia chuckled slightly before saying, “Sister, you do not need to practice with me. Your candid tone is actually refreshing after a long day such as this”.

Luna sighed as she plopped down on to her flank. “Practicing such words is tiring. Why is it that we must speak in such a way,” she asked as she took her mane in hoof and started to let it gently.

Celestia slowly stood up as she stretched slight, the throne having been little comfort despite its plushy design. Celestia walked over to her sister as she draped a wing over her shoulder, nuzzling Luna gently.

“It is to show our ponies respect and courtesy. Granted, it's an old method, but it's still one we must uphold,” Celestia said in a slightly amused tone.

“Well I think it's dumb,” Luna pouted.

Celestia smirked and said, “I couldn't agree more. So how about we skip that lesson today and snag some ice cream from the kitchen”.

“Yay,” Luna exclaimed before receiving a hushing motion from her sister. “Yay”, Luna repeated in a hushed tone before giggling and dashing out of the room.

Celestia sighed happily for the first time that day as she walked after her sister, her mane having brightened significantly.

Days since awakening: 1