• Published 12th Apr 2017
  • 1,591 Views, 34 Comments

The Runaway: Journey to Tambelon - Hope Caster



After running away from home to find his mother, Spike is pursued by two mercenaries determined to capture him by any means necessary.

  • ...
0
 34
 1,591

The Mercenary and the Handmaid

Rarity couldn’t explain it, but she was too anxious. While the key was still missing, Haydon had assured her that all was well, so long as the key was found and returned soon. If not, Rarity would suffer a pay cut, and likely be moved to another, less glamourous room. That didn’t bother her much. Even the lesser rooms were comfortable. She could only think that it was her worry for Spike. The young lad was not normal in her eyes, not that there was anything wrong with him. However, he didn’t have any friends. It was this that worried her most. He should have time for play, as any child should, but he also needed children his age to play with. Unfortunately, many parents kept their children away from Spike, out of fear of his uncle.

Rarity went into the backyard of the mansion, which was incased in a large hedge that ran around the parameter of the property. There were many flowers beds scattered about, accompanied by several rose bushes and four hedge sculptures, each an important figure in Arcania. What there was a lack of was Spike. Rarity searched for a few minutes, calling out his name, before giving up and going inside.

Perhaps he went to his room. There was only so much that could be done out in the garden. She went through the mansion room by room, even searching the pantry in case he was sneaking treats, but the young drake was nowhere to be found.

A growing fear began to manifest, and soon she rushed to Haydon. “Haydon,” she said, bowing as she entered her lady’s room, “forgive my intrusion, but have you seen Spike at all? He’s not outside and doesn’t seem to be anywhere in the house.”

Haydon gave Rarity a questioning look and stood. Quickly, she went to the garden and looked for any signs of Spike but found nothing. Countless thoughts began to plague her mind, ranging from kidnapping to murder, until she found a small hole in the hedge. It wasn’t large enough for a gargoyle like her, but Spike could certainly fit through easily. A feeling of dread grasped her heart and she almost fell over as a sudden realization washed over her.

“He is never going to be allowed three feet from this house after this,” Haydon said in a quiet whisper. She straightened herself and turned to the unicorn. “Rarity follow me.” She led the unicorn through the mansion and brought her to a study that she had never used in a very long time. Taking out a stamp and a quill, Haydon quickly penned Rarity a letter before folding it and stamping it shut with a wax seal. “Take this. It’s a letter of introduction. Go to the castle and show this to the guards at the gate.”

Rarity took the letter and putting it in her dress’s breast. “Haydon, you don’t think he actually followed them, do you?”

“Rarity, I need you to tell me one other place he would run off to,” Haydon asked. “Please bring him back home before anything-” She paused to think of a word “-unpleasant happens.” Her face hardened for moment. “Make sure nothing unpleasant happens at least to him.”

Rarity’s nodded and soon found herself in her room. She quickly opened the top draw of her dresser and took out her sheath. She was then out the door not long after, rushing past houses and people, expertly weaving her way through the streets and thick crowds. Part of her wished she was wearing more appropriate attire, perhaps a tunic with a short skirt and leggings, but she was willing to sacrifice comfort for Spike. She made a sharp turn left, down a dirty street that was dark and dreary. Unfortunately for Rarity, this would prove to be a mistake on her part. (She always did have the worst of luck when it came to important tasks.) And she crashed into something large, sending both tumbling to the ground.


Earlier that same morning, a pony slowly raised himself out of his dreams, as sunlight came through his drawn curtains. Mcbiggen let out a pained grown as he shifted in bed. He had had a bit too much ale last night. His head throbbed, his eyes felt crusty and sore, and the light from the sun was painful to look at. The slightest creak upset his senses and send his head spinning and throbbing worse than it had been before. He had an urge to stay in his bed and rest but was soon roused by a memory.

His father, on very special days, was known to drink a bit too much and suffered greatly from hangovers. His mother, unwilling to let him lay-about the house, usually had him out working the fields. His father was miserable on those days, but did as best he could and never complained or talked ill of his wife.

When asked why he worked instead of resting and recovering, he would answer. “Yer ma’s jus’ making sure I learn my lesson is all.” He would force out a chuckle to hide his pain. “That’s what happens when you marry a woman that loves ya. Sides, she told me not to drink so much, I was just the dang fool who ignored her.” He would go on to describe his wife’s imperfections, her virtues, her natural beauty if there was still something in his system, at which point Mcbiggen’s uncle would come and silence him before he could say too much.

Mcbiggen dragged himself from bed and fetched himself a pail of cool, clear water. He gulped it down quickly before tumbling out of the tavern for some fresh air. He wore a simple tunic, short sleeved and an average sandy color. He was tempted to bring his sword, but ultimately left it behind. If her was forging his armor, he could forgo his blade. Mcbiggen traversed the city for most of the morning and well into noon. His hangover was clearing, and he was able to tolerate the sun’s light after a while. In fact, the day seemed brighter now, and it was a welcomed change of pace to how gloomy he normally was.

Then there came a truly rare sight in the city, a mare. She was pure white with a meticulously sculpted violet mane. And that was all that he really saw of her, before she barreled into him. They tumbled across the ground and her heart a sharp gasp. The mare looked at him after they had come to a stop and tried to scramble away from him, not yet realizing that it was a stallion.

“I’m so sorry!” She apologized, raising to her hooves. There came a sharp pain in her hoof as she put even the slightest bit of weight on it. Rarity let out a sharp hiss before lifted her leg. There was swelling, she must have landed on it wrong, or twisted it when she rammed into the poor soul unfortunate enough to be in her way. Then her hoof was taken by the hooves of a large burly stallion. She could feel her heart beat become a flutter as he cheeks began to turn red. She had often dreamt about meeting a stallion in the kingdom, but she never thought it would happen, not in Arcania at least.

“You okay?” he asked, gazing into her deep blue eyes.

“Y-yes, well no not really but-” Rarity let out a pained squeak as the stallion moved her hoof.

“Might be broken,” he said muttering to himself. He began to rip off a long piece of his tunic, wrapping it around her hoof and tying it off.

Instantly, Rarity felt her hoof feel a bit better. Part of her could scarcely believe her luck. Not only had she ran into a gorgeous stallion, but one that was caring and gentle. She was about ready to swoon at the mere sight of him, mostly because he was the only stallion, she’d seen in two years, but mostly because he was handsome. He had a ruggedness to him that was to die for, not to mention his eyes were a piercing green, and his hair was a shade of orange she’d yet seen in Equestria. He was able to care for her injuries, how was she to turn away from such a handsome suiter? “Oh, that feels better already, thank you.” She bowed her head but looked up at him with her shimmering eyes.

“It Ain’t nothing,” he said, ready to get back to wondering around aimlessly.

“With all due respect, it certainly isn’t nothing to me, especially since I was the one that bumped into you, Mr-”

“Mcbiggen,” The stallion said. He seemed to ignore her for the most part and made sure he didn’t drop anything on the ground. Rarity, meanwhile, began to pout. Why did she need to have the worst of luck? He was ignoring her. Or, he was hurt by something. That must be it. How he desperately needed someone to fix whatever was ailing his, hopefully, large and tender heart. Why must he just cast her aside after such a short meeting? “Oh, please don’t go, at least not yet!” Rarity quickly rushed to his side as best she could and began to stroke his arm. “Surely there’s something I could do for you.”

“EeNope. Yer wearin’ a nice dress, I suppose that means you have someplace you need to be?”

The color drained from Rarity’s face. She cursed herself for becoming lost in the looks of the stallion. “You are correct. Thank you for your assistance. Please, feel free to come to Highfearia Hall if you ever wish to chat.” Rarity bowed and hurried along to the castle, despite being injured. Once at the main gate, she caught her breath, fixed her hair as best she could and began to trot forward.

The least she could do is look presentable in case she met any regents, advisors or the Princes and Princesses. Doubly so incase she needed to put on a kind face for the King and Queen themselves. Rarity soon came to the castle gates and but was stopped short of entering by the two guards, Sal and Sam.

“Halt,” Sal said in a loud voice. “What business do ya have here?”

“My name is Rarity Everglow Belle, servant of the former Queen Consort, Lady Haydon Arcanous. I’m here on the orders of my mistress to retrieve a dragon that may have arrived with Master Sendak. In her name, I demand you let me in!”

“I would be inclined to believe that, but what you got that proves ya story?”

Rarity shoved the letter into the guard’s arms. “That is a letter of introduction from Lady Haydon herself. It should be proof enough.”

The guards gave her a questioning look, even as they read the letter.

“It’s her ladies seal alright,” Sam said, looking at the wax sigil that once held the letter close. “Never knew she had a unicorn working for ‘er though.” He continued reading. “Hey, Sal, she’s talking about the dragon in this. You don’t think Sendak did something he wasn’t supposed ta, do you?”

“Seems fantastic if you ask me. Maybe it’s a forgery?”

Rarity’s eyes narrowed. “How dare you. Thinking I’m some sort of scam artist! I have half a mind to get my mistress involved! And Let me assure you two that Tirek is more her son than he is Vorak’s.”

“And what that have to do with anythin’?” Sal said, almost crushing the letter in his grip. As a guard, he did not like getting threatened, especially from a stiff unicorn.

“It has to do with how my lady will respond upon hearing that two of the most stubborn guards in the whole kingdom kept her handmaid from finding a dragon, who will be lucky if he ever sees the sun from outside his room again!” Rarity caught herself before she began to shout and cause a scene. “Just ask yourselves this: How would you respond if I were his majesty, Prince Tirek?” There was a thick silence that hung over the group before Sam finally pipped up.

“Apologies,” Sam said. He and Sal moving out of Rarity’s way. “We meant no disrespect by it. It’s been an odd day is all. If you pardon my saying, it’s mighty peculiar. First the dragon comes ‘ere, wanting to enter, and Sendak is spouting how he has business to attend to fer ‘is uncle. Not a real uncle, mind you, but finding out that Tirek has taken on a ward is a bit of a shock. Then Tirek’s mum wants ‘im home. It’s like the boy was lying to us, but that would mean Sendak lied to us and-”

“It’s nothing like that,” Rarity said with a huff. “The boy’s mother and the king have a strained relationship is all. His presence tends to bring up sore feelings. Not to mention that Lady Haydon thinks that Tirek’s business can wait until he returns.”

“I understand. I met that dragoness once I did,” Sam said. “Pretty thing, but can’t compare to me wife, but still pretty. Mighty disrespectful towards the king though. Again, sorry for keeping ya, please, go on in.”

“Thank you.” Rarity bowed her head and rushed forward into the castle halls.

She asked many guards and a few servants the whereabouts of Spike and Sendak, until finally one maid said to her, “I think I saw a dragon go towards the gardens. He seemed upset though and-”

Rarity thanked her and rushed off. Entering the castle gardens, she found Sendak and Spike sitting before the statue of a human girl.

“Spike!” She shouted, earning the attention of the dragon and centaur. “Young man, you have a lot of explaining to do,” she growled the moment her eyes met Spike’s.


She’d reopened one of his wounds. Mcbiggen stubbled into doctor’s building and was quickly treated for a fair price. Afterwards, her returned to the inn and collapsed on his bed as the day played back in his head.

Aside from causing him some harm, having nice-looking mare talk to him was welcomed, he even felt a twinge of pride. However she wasn’t anyone he could see himself starting a family with. She was much to gaudy for him. In his ideal life, he would be back on his family’s orchard, working the fields while his bride helped tend to the tavern with his sister. This mare though, there was an air about her, and it had no place at the Sweet Apple, at least not as a worker. She would probably love to stay there as a guest, as many did. Then again, he hadn’t had a crush on anyone since he was a young colt, so what would he know?

He knew that he liked her. Mcbiggen could remember the girl as if he’d just met her yesterday. She was a usual at his family’s tavern. She was a compact, the word she used for small, Pegasus and loved to flutter about the fields and tavern. There was also an inner fire in her he admired. Some nights, he would sometimes fantasize about the girl, wondering how she grew and changed in his absence. She likely settled down with a nice colt, someone quiet and determined. Perhaps, had he stayed on the farm, he could have been that quiet and determined colt that had likely won her heart.

He turned on his side and buried his face in his pillow. Those were thoughts for another day. For now, he would rest.