• Published 3rd Feb 2017
  • 240 Views, 0 Comments

Cold Days - iCeTeRiX



Stories told from Frigid Breeze's point of view about his life so far...

  • ...
 0
 240

Let's Begin...

Hi there, my name is Frigid Breeze. If you're actually still reading up to this point then thanks, I appreciate you're time. Let me just tell a little about myself; I'm just a normal, plain and simple unicorn living in the the city of Manehattan and I'm a student at the university they have here in the city. It's nothing too prestigious or fancy like the one they have in Canterlot, but hey, I was never one for being fancy anyways. That's probably why I left that place to begin with, and let me tell you my parents were not happy about that one bit, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I live in a rather peaceful side of the city, not too many ponies around since it's too far away from all the shops and business places most popular here, so the rent's manageable and there are some nice folks in my apartment building too. I don't really talk to most of them other than the usual greetings like "Hello" or "Good Morning" when I leave for school. I know they're nice folks cause they all reply when I actually greet them and not just brush it off like it was nothing. The view's nice too, I got a nice balcony where I can just hang out to see the city lights and enjoy the cold wind the night brings.

So that's where I live now while studying magic, specifically Temperature Magic. Yeah, it's exactly what it is, just changing the temperature of things from being hot to cold or the reverse. It may seem pointless since the Pegasuses can change the weather and all that, but we're studying on keeping it in an indoor level and without the presence of unicorn magic. Keeping a room cold when you want it to be in the middle of the summer time after a hot day at work, I mean it's not like they're gonna make a special spot for ponies who prefer that right? That's a bit asking much from everyone.

If you're wondering about the name well there's a reason for that of course, I'll start with where I was born. It was probably in the middle of winter when I came out of my mom's womb and we were in the cold regions of the Saddle Arabian deserts. So my parents had the fun idea to name me how they felt every wind was that night, a Frigid Breeze. After 2 years there, my dad had to stay a little longer for work and to provide for me and my mom while we go back to their actual home country, Phineighppines. While we were there, my mom became my teacher for all the basics every foal had to learn, the alphabet, numbers, and how to behave properly so I don't make a fool of myself around my aunts and uncles. To best describe my mom's side of the family, picture an old western story where all the rich folks, with their suits and fancy dresses and fans, gather in town abusing their wealth and power, while the other non-rich ponies stay on the outskirts of town and just live their lives as best as they can with what they have. The rich ponies is where my mom's side is.

My mom, Golden Heart, comes from a family of Unicorns who owns a pretty great farm with all kinds of crops, and being the second youngest in the family just made her a prime target to be picked on by most of her brothers and sisters when she was young. With such a big farm, naturally they hire Earth ponies to do all the heavy lifting while they get to enjoy the money they earned from selling the crops. Now don't misunderstand, they pay the farmers well, but they were still pretty stingy ponies. Once the money's in their hooves there's no letting go for them, I once saw a farmer ask for a bit more than their usual salary to pay for his foal's birthday present but they just greeted his son and waved it off like they never heard anything. That's why my mom decided to work in Saddle Arabia as a nurse instead of helping out with the family business, she was special and wanted to live her life giving instead of just taking. But from what I've seen from our last visit, the farm's not doing to good nowadays and my aunts and uncles have debts they can't pay themselves so they ask my mom for bits every now and then. Her charitable side was always admirable when I was little, but with how I am now, I think she's just being foolish.

We stayed in Phineighppines for another two years until my mom said we were going back to Saddle Arabia to stay with my dad. I can't remember any other time when I was so excited to see my dad I was practically galloping to where he was standing just to hug him. I feel bad for saying that, but as we grow older it's natural to be a bit more distant from your parents right? I am starting to warm up to him again now, so I can make amends to when I was such a thorn in his side. My dad's kind of the exact opposite to my mom in terms of their family. Think back to the old western story, the rich ponies were my mom's side, and the non-rich is where my dad's side is.

My dad's family is just a bunch of Earth ponies with big dreams of getting out of the poor lifestyle someday, and they did. My aunt, Cinnamon Waffle actually owns a bakeshop in Canterlot nowadays and she sends some pastries to me every now and then. If you go to Canterlot try stopping by her shop, Made with Loaves. Cheesy name I know, but that's how aunt Cinnamon is, kind of like a cinnamon bun with melted cheese inside, a sweet and soft exterior with a warm and joke-loving interior. My uncle, Hard Stone, is in the top ranks of Princess Cadence's Royal Guard in the Crystal Empire, and he even ended up marrying one of the Crystal Ponies there and has a little filly now to take care of too, Glittermane. My uncle's not that good with names so they just named her what she looked like and her mane does sparkle in the light, probably the only thing she got from her mom. My dad made it out too with a lot of hard work and sacrifices. He often told me stories of when he was young and how he had to work till he passed out just to finish his studies and find a job that could get him a living and then some. He's always had big dreams, but nowadays, he just seems like he wants to get the day over with to face the next one. I guess he's starting to get tired.

My name, Frigid Breeze, actually fits me pretty well now. I love the cold weather every time it comes, most ponies say I give them the cold shoulder even though I don't mean to, and just like the breeze, I come in and out of ponies' lives like a passing wind. But again, I'm getting ahead of myself...

Author's Note:

Tried a different format, this probably won't have much dialogue other than FB. If anyone who reads this actually made a first-person story before, I would appreciate to read some tips on how to make this better.