• Published 14th Feb 2017
  • 376 Views, 0 Comments

Hearts and Hooves Day! - Phoenix Heart 27



4 different NON CANON stories involving various forms of "love"

  • ...
2
 0
 376

The "Sound" of Love:(Melody Star's Sonata)

The “Sound” of Love:

One blustery cold day in mid-February, two pegasus sisters were playing in the snow. The younger one, a bright lilac filly called Starlight Sonata was busy making snow angels by a creek. While she took no notice to how close she was to danger, the elder one did and came running up to collect her. The elder pegasus then moved her hooves and wings around while she talked.

“Starlight! You know you’re not allowed that close to the creek without somepony watching you! C’mon. Let’s get ready to go. We still have to head to the market.”, The elder pegasus signed and spoke. To which the younger one signed back in an almost annoyed movement.

“But I wasbeing careful Melody! And besides, I don’t see why we must go to the market.”, Starlight signed back with an annoyed look on her face.

“We still need to pick up the groceries for mama and daddy.”, Melody signed back as the two reached the market.

After collecting the things they needed, the pair made it back towards their house. Only stopping twice to talk to some friends along the way. Then they headed inside to see what could only be described as a disaster area of a kitchen, living room and den. The sisters quietly laughed as they approached the ‘eye’ of the storm; the kitchen where their mother was busy preparing that night’s dinner for the girls and lunches for all of them for the next day.

“Mama, do ya think you should take a break? You’ve been at this for 4 hours now.”, Melody asked her mother to which she just got a crazed look in reply.

“I can’t now! I’m only half done with your dinner and I just started on everypony’s lunches for tomorrow. I also have 2 loads of laundry in the wash and dryer currently. Plus your father wants to take me out for Hearts and Hooves’ Day dinner tonight so I need to finish before I can get ready.”, Moondance replied breathlessly before feeling two pairs of hooves pull her from the counter and sit her in a chair.

“Mama! Firstly, chill out” Melody started as she fanned her mother with her wings “Secondly, it’s Hearts and Hooves Day! You should be getting yourself ready for a nice romantic evening with dad! Not worrying about school/work lunches and laundry. Go and get ready, me and ‘Starry’ will handle it from here.”, Melody finished as she wrapped a wing around her mother and Starlight did the same. Then Star remembered something she was telling Melody about earlier and started excitedly jerking her mom’s hoof towards herself.

“Yes Starlight? What is it sweetie?”, Moondance asked in sign. Perplexed by her youngest daughter’s odd movements.

Still too excited, Starlight tried to sign to her mommy to follow her to the piano in the den...but her movements were too fast and uncoordinated.

“Starlight, calm down! You know mommy can’t understand you when you sign too fast!”, Moon signed and said in an authoritative form. Instantly causing the 7-year-old to fold her ears back in sadness but understanding. Starlight quickly signing ‘I’m sorry’ before letting a few tears fall down her face.

Moondance sighed as she picked up her youngest filly and squished her in a gentle embrace, then she lifted Starlight’s head up from her chest.

“No, Starry. I’m sorry for snapping at ya. I’ve just been so busy today and stressed out that I accidentally took a bit of it out on you honey. I didn’t mean anything by it honest.”, She signed and spoke.

Starlight seemed to understand what she was trying to say as she suddenly smiled a bit and nuzzled her mother before signing more slowly and clear.

“It’s okay mama, but I do still have a surprise for you and Melody. I was trying to get you both to come to the den to hear it!”, Starlight signed with a smile.

Moondance and Melody Star looked at each other slightly confused.


“Hear It?”, They both said at once, briefly forgetting that Starlight wouldn’t be able to hear the confused tone in their voices. Fortunately, Star could read lips and instantly brightened up as she lead them both past the mess of toys that she had forgot to pick up, towards the large piano against the wall. A few pieces of sheet music sat neatly on the music rack. Starlight moved to sit on the bench straight as per instruction as she started to play a beautiful romantic melody.

As she finished the last note, she looked over to her big sister and mother who had tears in their eyes. Thinking that meant they hated it, she began to cry once again. Though that was instantly noticed by both and they rushed over to scoop the young filly up into a hug. Star broke away confused once again.

“I don’t understand? I thought you guys hated it so bad it made you cry? Why hug me?”, Starlight signed with a confused face.To which her mother chuckled and sister squeezed tighter.

‘Starry’ Of course we don’t hate it! In fact we loved it!”, Melody signed/said.

“Yes, It was spectacular my little shooting star! Though I should expect nothing less from a piano prodigy.”, Moondance replied as she wiped Star’s face clean.

“It...It was just my way of saying ‘I love you’ mama. You know, for Hearts and Hooves Day.”, Starlight signed in reply as she hugged her mother.

“And I couldn’t ask for a better present baby. Happy Hearts and Hooves Day girls.”, Moondance said as she hugged both her daughters.