• Published 30th Jan 2017
  • 851 Views, 7 Comments

The Hardest Years - MailleMaker



Rainbow Dash and her husband have the "privilege" of raising their teenage daughter Scootaloo.

  • ...
2
 7
 851

First Day of School

"Ugh, where did our vacation go?" groaned Scootaloo under the weight of her books as she and Sweetie Belle trotted down the hall of Ponyville High School between classes.

"Our vacation went on vacation," said Sweetie Belle with a giggle, "but I wish that it hadn't."

"I wish it hadn't too," agreed Scootaloo. "So," she added after shifting her books, "any good classes this year?"

"Well, I have Advanced Equestrian History, Advanced Magic, Advanced Home Economics, Voice, and the required courses. What about you Scootaloo?" asked Sweetie Belle after checking her schedule.

"Um, well, since my wings decided that they would finally grow, I'm just now starting flying class. I have a few other required courses, but nothing too major. How is it that you have advanced classes?" Scootaloo asked curiously.

"Well, I always had straight A's in Miss Cheerilee's school so I was automatically stuck in the advanced classes," explained Sweetie Belle. "That, and Rarity likes me to get as much knowledge as I can to 'prepare' me for life."

"I've never really had the best grades to be honest," admitted Scootaloo sheepishly, "I've always had more important goals than making straight A's."

"I thought you did good in school?" said Sweetie Belle with a puzzled look on her face.

"I usually make B's on my report card and sometimes an occasional C. There's nothing too major to worry about," said Scootaloo with a shrug before stopping in front of a classroom door. "Well, last class of the day. I've got to go, I'll see you later."

"Will I see you after school?" asked Sweetie Belle.

"Um, I don't think so. I have to go straight home after school to do my homework since I decided to go Diamond Tiara's party," explained Scootaloo.

"Oh," said Sweetie Belle with a little frown. "Then I guess I'll see you tomorrow. I'll talk to you later."

As Sweetie Belle quickly trotted off to her next class, Scootaloo promptly took her seat and waited for the rest of the class to get there. Soon, about a dozen pegasi fillies and colts were seated and waiting for the teacher. Several minutes after the bell rang, a young pegasi stallion trotted into the room looking quite flustered.

Scootaloo thought that he was just another student until he began speaking. "I am quite sorry class," he said after catching his breath. "A pony would think that the teacher would be on time. Anyway, I am Mr. Kane, your teacher. Today we will be studying the different flying techniques, but before hoof, a little about myself. My name is Hurricane Force. I graduated college at the age of eighteen and I am still currently eighteen." The shocked looks on his students faces caused him to laugh. "Yes, I know I am young. I was a gifted student and graduated early. Now, for the lesson!"

Scootaloo, having settled into her seat, scrutinized her new teacher. Mr. Kane had on a stark white suit which contrasted with his natural coat. He was a striking shade of steel gray with a dark black mane and tale. His cutie mark was the white GPS image of a hurricane. Curious about it, Scootaloo raised her hoof.

"You," he said pointing to her,"what is your name and question?"

"My name is Scootaloo. And, why is your cutie mark a hurricane?" she asked.

"Ah, I see noticed my cutie mark," he said with a grin, "I got it as a hurricane fighter."

"Oh, you were a hurricane fighter?" asked Scootaloo curiously.

"Yes. I double majored in rogue storm fighting and flight teaching and minored in Literature."

"That's really interesting. Thanks," said Scootaloo with an awed expression.

"My pleasure. Just next time be paying attention to what I'm saying instead of checking me out," Mr. Kane said with a completely straight face before turning to the rest of the class.

Scootaloo just sat there with a shocked expression. Checking him out, my hoof! she thought to herself. Well, maybe I was, I don't know. He sure is brash for a teacher though. Miss Cheerilee sure would have never talked like that.

After finishing the main points of his lecture, Mr. Kane instructed the class to meet him outside so he could demonstrate the flying techniques he talked about. "Scootaloo, could you please wait a moment," he called as the students filed out.

Cheeks burning with embarrassment, Scootaloo waited for the rest of the class to leave.

After the class had gone, Mr. Kane looked at Scootaloo with a lopsided grin. "I hope you realize that I was just giving you a hard time during class. I didn't intend to embarrass you."

"Oh, um, it's okay," said Scootaloo nervously. "I guess I had better get going."

"Oh yes! I will meet you and the rest of the class outside in a few minutes, I need to gather a few things," said Mr. Kane.

"Okay," said Scootaloo before heading out. That was awkward. I hope he doesn't do anything else like that, thought Scootaloo as she trotted outside.

Flight practice turned out to be uneventful with Mr. Kane just explaining basic things like wind gauging and flapping force. It wasn't until he removed his jacket that the entire class gave him their full attention. Mr. Kane had rippling chest and shoulder muscles underneath his coat. When he spread his wings, it was quite obvious to see why he received his cutie mark in hurricane fighting. His wings were massive and were absolutely all muscle. The rest of the class passed in bliss as the students watched Mr. Kane illustrate the flight patterns from the lesson. The illustrations ended sooner than everypony wished and the class dispersed with a disappointed groan.

"Don't worry class, tomorrow you'll get to do some flying of your own!" Mr. Kane yelled as the class left for the day.

After giving Mr. Kane one last glance, Scootaloo quickly made her way to her locker, packed her books up, and began heading home. She needed to do some homework before the party that night.

I think Mr. Kane is kinda cute, Scootaloo thought as she flew home. He sure is young for a teacher but he's an amazing flyer. Not as amazing as Mom though.

As soon as she arrived home, Scootaloo quickly trotted up to her room and began doing her homework. Rainbow Dash had left a note on her desk explaining that she and Skeeter had gone out to run a few errands and wouldn't be back before Scootaloo left for the party that night.

It would have been nice to tell Mom about my first day of high school, thought Scootaloo sadly. Then, vividly remembering her dream from the sleepover, Scootaloo nervously began to worry. They're not ignoring me. They, are just excited about being married. Thats all.

After convincing herself that nothing was wrong, Scootaloo zoomed through her homework and turned to her mirror.
Grinning from ear to ear she yelled, "It's time to party!!!"

Author's Note:

I am a terrible person, I know. Sorry for not updating in soo long. I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter, hopefully I'll be getting more out since science projects and research papers are finished.