• Published 27th Jan 2017
  • 2,037 Views, 76 Comments

My Little Mages: The Phantasm of Philanthropy - Foxhelm



A retelling of The Nightmare Rarity Arch and Do Princesses Dream of Magical Sheep in this 'My Little Mages' AU

  • ...
3
 76
 2,037

Nightmare to Dream

Nightmare Rarity knew she was at the major disadvantages, not only the difference in power between Rarity and Luna, a normal human versus a born demigod but also because Luna could fly. “I should have gone with the elementalist!” Nightmare Rarity cursed as Luna blasted the entire roof off of the tower, each having lost their melee weapons a fair while earlier in the fight. “Oh come on! Do you know how much magical energy it took to fix that!” As she looked at the rubble, she pouted at the destroyed craftsmanship, “And this was Late Union Era masonry, a lost art.” Luna groaned at that, there was a reason the Late Union Era style was more or less forgotten.

“Nostalgia blinds you to how shotty that masonry it was. And that’s not addressing the fact that Princess Platinum was the one that actually commissioned the construction.”

“Well just because something is not well done, doesn’t mean it should be discarded.” Nightmare Rarity countered as she sent the rubble into the air “And you grossly underestimate the quality of the craftsmanship!” However, the rubble was sent right back to her, “AH!” she screamed as she tried to dodge it, barely evading the assault.

“Grossly underestimated?! I lived in this castle for centuries!” Luna shouted as she started to conjure beams of magic and sent them and form a cage around the two. “Let’s end this Nightmare.” She then sent blasts of argent colored magic at Nightmare Rarity. Nightmare Rarity then fired back with blasts of sapphire colored magic. The resulting collision of the magical blasts formed resulted in an explosion causing Nightmare Rarity to be sent to her back causing her to be slightly dazed as Luna summoned another sword leaped into the air and landed looking down at Nightmare Moon. Nightmare Moon slowly recovered but before she could escape, Luna placed her left foot on her chest as if to pin her to the ground. “This is where it ends for you, Nightmare,” Luna bellowed as she lifted her sword u, preparing to bring it down on her foe.

“Not quite,” said Nightmare Rarity as she was grabbed by a hand in from the shadows and pulled to safety before the blow made contact with her. Luna looked about and saw the Tantabus and Nightmare Rarity appear. “But maybe in your dreams.” Nightmare Rarity chuckled as she ripped a hole in reality, Luna knew exactly where the two were heading, the realm of dreams, the dreamscape.

“NO!” Luna shouted in anger as the two entered the dreamscape.

“Where’s Nightmare Rarity?” Twilight asked as she and the other arrived just a second later. Seeing the split in what seemed to be the fabric of reality. “What is..” Twilight started to ask, but Luna didn’t answer as she surrounded the others in a clear night sky colored aura as she, the demigoddess, took them with her as she went through the rift.


Luna and company seemed to just float in the what appeared to be some mixture of a starry field, a rainbow of the entire visible light spectrum and images of random thoughts that blinked in and out at seemingly random moments. “Where are we?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Ah been here before.” Apple Bloom commented.

“Me too,” Scootaloo announced.

“Me too.” Sweetie Belle also announced.

The three then paused and then looking to Luna, “You brought me here to help me with my problem.” the three said in unison. They then turned to each other, “Why were you here?” they asked each other.

“I wanted Rainbow Dash to view me as awesome and be my big sister, but her stories were so scary I couldn’t sleep during that camping trip and…” Scootaloo trailed off not wanting to continue that. “You?”

“It was when I tried to sabotage the most recent commission made by Sapphire Shores, the headdress, which is why we went to Chantalot that time.” Sweetie Belle confessed. She and Scootaloo turned to Apple Bloom.

“Aht was when wah got the letter from Babs about discovering her mark. Ah was so worried about my future.”

“We can dwell on your growth and what my experience has helped foster later, we must find Nightmare and the Tantabus,” Luna almost scolded, getting everyone to focus on the task at hand. “They can be anywhere.”

“Well, Nightmare was born from you, in a sense,” said Twilight, “can you think of the most likely places she would go to consolidate her power?”

“You seem to forget that I have taken on some of your friend’s dramatic flairs, Darlings.” Came the disembodied voice of Nightmare Rarity, echoing in the dreamscape. “I am less like the Princess of the Night than I was when my title was Nightmare Moon.”

Luna was frantically looking around to find Nightmare Rarity and the Tantabus. Just them the Tantabus emerged and was about to strike Luna from behind but was tackled by Applejack and Pinkie Pie. “You don’t get to cheat!” Pinkie exclaimed as she, Applejack and The Tantabus tumbled away across the dreamscape.

“Aht’s up to yah, Fluttershy!” Applejack called back as she, Pinke and the Tantabus scrambled to get back to their feet.

“That’s not going to work. I am a druid, the form of divine magic I use is different than what is needed.” Fluttershy commented.

“Maybe I can find a spell that functions like a divine exorcism.” Twilight started as she conjured her spell book and started to scan through it. This was made fruitless as Nightmare Rarity managed to manifest above them, now with golden armor and tackled Luna sending her flying through the Dreamscape in a different direction. “Rainbow, Spike, girls, help Applejack and Pinkie Pie. Fluttershy, I need you to entangle Nightmare Rarity until I can find a spell!” Twilight ordered.

“NO!” shouted Luna, “Disable the Tantabus! As long as she has an agent, Nightmare can still come back!” Twilight and Fluttershy nodded and joined up with their friends to combat the Tantabus. All the while, Luna and Nightmare Rarity went back and forth with blasts of their respective magic. Luna seemed to take the lead as her magic caused the golden armor to dissolve into the Dreamscape. However, the two were closer to equal within the Dreamscape then in the waking realm (There is a reason why bad dreams are called ‘nightmares’). Granted Luna still had one thing that Nightmare Rarity didn’t, true flight, an advantage that Luna employed at every chance she had. However, Nightmare Rarity used her connection to the landscape of the Dreamscape, as Nightmare, to narrowly escape each of Luna’s assaults and attempt to catch Luna off guard from behind or above. The balance of power ever-shifting and the tides ever turning, from one to another and back in what seemed to be an endless loop.

All the while the Tantabus was effectively cornered and while he was still able to contend with his opponents, what no one knew, was that the tides turned and the balance of power shifted back and forth between Luna and Nightmare, The Tantabus felt his mind, his psyche, his soul, his heart, his spirit, all of the metaphysical aspects of him torn and smashed and even more. However, he was not allowed to intervene in the fight between the two. He was fired upon by Rainbow Dash, as Fluttershy and Twilight gave him another run for his money with the spells they rained upon him. Applejack and Pinkie Pinkie prevented him from homing his physical advantages, all the while Scootaloo bobbed in and out using her smaller size to punch and kick his legs and knees, one time the young monk landed a blow below his belt.

Seeing the Tantabus losing to the others, and the tearing of his loyalty, Nightmare Rarity slipped into the void and formed a shield around herself and the Tantabus. “Sorry Darling, but since you don’t seem to be using this.” Nightmare Rarity then turned the Tantabus to face her and she kissed him. However, this was not romantic, instead, it was almost as if she was orally raping him. All the while his body slowly and clearly painfully change back to into a true Nightborn male. However, Nightmare Rarity didn’t let up, as The Tantabus started to clearly age almost fifty years. After about two more seconds, Nightmare Rarity relinquished her hold on the Tantabus. “Thank you, dear.” She said as the Tantabus… no, he was no longer the Tantabus, he was Tanzanite Thrower Pie, dropped to his knees and then fell to the ground.

Tanzanite found himself questioning some of what he saw as pivotal life moments, how things could have been different if he had been aware of the options he now saw. But time does not flow backward for the vast majority of existence. All that can be done is moving forward. But right now all Tanzanite’s mind could do was look back. Tanzanite remembered when he first met Luna.

Tanzanite was fifteen and was reading a copy of the scriptures in the pews of a church, looking for something, some hint to find out what his talent was. He never seemed to have the knack for rocks like most the family, he had no control over any of the elements that he knew of like any Skyborn, which he is as a Nightborn. He then recalled how he was so often mocked in his village. He was frustrated and threw the copy he had. Before it could make contact with anything, it was caught in an aura of argent and midnight black, mixed with starry-white dots. “You should be more respectful with any book regardless of content, it all starts with burning them anyway.” which was followed by a chuckle.

Tanzanite turned to follow the floating book as it was accepted by a pair of slender, pale and beautiful hands belonging mostly likely to a lovely woman. Tanzanite could not see the rest of the woman, as she was hidden in simple monastic robes. “Sorry, Sister.” Tanzanite said as he walked to the woman and took the book back. “I know better, but there are times I just want to set this whole world ablaze.” Tanzanite was about to throw the book to the ground, but stopped himself “One’s True Mark! Talent in Magic! Apokalypsies! Why is it all so complicated?” He handed the book back and punched one of the building’s walls with his left hand. Needless to say, the wall fared much better than Tanzanite’s hand. Pulling his hand away revealed slight bruising on the hand with apparent damage to the wall.

As he clenched his hand in pain, “You are quite the passionate young man.” the woman giggled.

Gritting through the pain, “So I have been told,” Tanzanite commented

The woman still giggled at him, “Have you considered that your passion might be key to what you seek.”

Tanzanite looked out of the sanctuary to the night sky, “Maybe.” Tanzanite sighed. After a few seconds of looking at the night sky, “Sister, have you ever danced with the stars?”

The woman was slightly startled at that, “But you're still so young…” she trailed off.

“It’s just a dance.” Tanzanite retorted as he held out his hand and start to lift off the ground his ethereal wings being revealed. The woman then removed the hood showing her face. Tanzanite froze, “Princess Luna,” he muttered as he took to the ground and cow-towed to the diarch of the night. “I am…” He started. Luna couldn’t help but giggle at the youth. Blushing in shame, Tanzanite started to crawl away.

“On second thought,” Luna said causing Tanzanite to stop, “We will accept your offer… Pardon Us, We haven’t learned your name.”

As Tanzanite rose to his feet, “Tanzanite Thrower Pie, I prefer ‘Tanzanite’,” the youth answered. The two took each other's hands and hovering out of the church and started to dance to the silent music of the stars.

Back in the waking realm… as close to it as the Dreamscape could be. Nightmare Rarity sent dark blue blasts at each of the heroes back. “Oh, this is just too easy.” She laughed, with a boastful ‘hahahaha’. First, to sent back quite aways was Spike, then Scootaloo, followed by Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Twilight, Applejack, Apple Bloom and finally Sweetie Belle. Witnessing each of her allies Luna could not help but feel guilt and sadness. All of this was her fault. As Luna’s guilt ate wore at her, Nightmare Rarity seemed to become more and more powerful. As if everything she did was only emboldened Nightmare Rarity. Seeing no other option she manifested a broadsword and charge Nightmare Rarity. However, the latter saw that coming a mile away and she manifested her own blade. As the two blades clashed, Luna’s was sent flying into the dreamscape. Seeing her disarmed assailant, Nightmare Rarity backhanded Luna across the face and kicked her in the gut. Luna was forced to her knees. She was overwhelmed by the empowered Nightmare Rarity. Not only did Nightmare have the darker aspects of Luna’s own power, Rarity’s power, but the more recent addition of her Favored Soul, The Tantabus enriched with the power of Nightshade. And all her own negative emotions seemed to be fuelling Nightmare Rarity. “You can’t win, Luna. And you know why.”

“Luna, what is going on? What is she talking about?” Twilight asked as she was the first of the others to recover enough to ask.

“Well tell them, Luna, tell them the truth.” Nightmare Rarity ordered as she had her own blade ready to pierce the princess’ neck.

Tearing up, ashamed of her past, Luna reluctantly spoke. “I ordered the Tant... Tanzanite to haunt my dreams.”

“Oh, you had him do so much worse. Tell them.” Nightmare Rarity continued.

Luna gritted her teeth behind her tears before she spoke, “I ordered him to torture me, to torment me, to punish me for everything I’ve done as Nightmare Moon, so I could never forget the suffering I caused.” Luna confused.

This statement shook the core of everyone else there, they couldn't move they were so horrified at that revelation. As Luna lamented in her confession, unable to counter Nightmare Rarity. “And as your adopted mother said, ‘And the truth shall set you free’!’” Nightmare Rarity said as she pulled her blade back and was about to thrust it.

“How dare you bring her into this? I know she would be disappointed in me for what I did, I’m partially glad she wasn’t there to see what my jealousy of my sister became!” Luna yelled as she tried to tackle Nightmare Rarity.

However, the possessed and empowered enchantress was able to get out of the way and prepared to once again strike the nocturnal princess. “Give her my regards.”

“GET OUT OF OUR FRIEND!!!” Applejack shouted capitalizing on Nightmare being diverted by Luna, as she placed the fire ruby on her back in-line with her heart. Nightmare Rarity dropped to her weapon and to her knees as she felt the divine force of Applejack’s paladin magic enter into her. Soon it was amplified manyfold as Twilight, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Spike placed their hands on the paladin’s right arm and her shoulders. “OUR SISTER!!!” Nightmare Rarity arched backward unable to fight the magic as Applejack continued. “AND STAY OUT OF HER, YOU BITCH!!!” The paladin ordered and a black essence was forced out of Nightmare Rarity and forced to fair distance away. With that, Rarity changed back to her regular self, her hair was back to what it was, but her attire was still how Nightmare altered it.

“RARITY!” Sweetie Belle squeaked and screamed happily as she hugged Rarity from behind. She then broke the hug and renewed it from the front. “YOU’RE OKAY!” Sweetie held her sister as tight as she could.

“Please, Sweetie Belle, no need to yell,” Rarity said she embraced her sister.

“How do we know we got Nightmare out of Rarity?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“We could try that again,” Fluttershy suggested, just before Applejack almost fell over, but was caught by Apple Bloom. “Or perhaps, maybe we should try something else.”

“That won’t be necessary,” Luna said as she got back to her feet. “Rarity didn’t fight Nightmare as she took over. instead, Rarity elected to wait until the Nightmare either slipped up or was weaken.”

“So that was not a dream. I hope I wasn’t too rude.” Rarity said with a nervous chuckle.

“It is alright,” Luna said as she walked over to the drifting Tanzanite. “Now we have to discuss matters,” Luna said looking down at Tanzanite.

“I am not done yet!” came the disembodied voice of Nightmare Moon as it flew back towards Rarity.

“Not this time!” Rarity said as she used the necklace she now processed as a conduit to form a shield that repelled the essence. However, Nightmare continued to do it again and again, each time each of her friends aided with Rarity’s repulsion attempts. But Nightmare refused to let up. As Nightmare was about to dive and attempt to possess Rarity for the thirteenth time, she was blasted by pure unadulterated solar plasma. As everything cleared everyone saw there was an opening from the dreamscape into the waking world as Celestia, draped not in her usual white gown, but in golden armor adorned with every symbol that was ever affiliated with the sun, that covered her head to toe, arrived. Everyone froze as Celestia encased Nightmare in a ball of light. She then turned to Luna and started walking to her.

Luna fell to her knees and started to tear up, she knew she had messed up terribly. She knew what she did was almost unforgivable. She covered waiting for a slap right across her face, but after a minute she felt two arms wrap around her as she was pulled into another’s chest. “Please stop this. I threw my sister away a thousand years ago. Please, I just got her back. Please, don’t take her away from me.” Luna heard her sister’s voice, struggling to not break down in tears, all the while she felt Celestia’s tears land on her back and neck. “Please, stop killing yourself. Please, I can’t lose my sister again.”

“I … I…”

“I am so sorry for everything,” Celestia said in sorrow.

Luna the pushed Celestia back, “How? How can you feel sorry?” As she forced herself to look Celestia in the face.

Celestia moved her hands as to hold Luna’s face in them, “Because, you are still in pain over what I did.”

Luna turned her face away. “I have forgiven you long ago, Sister, I am the one that is still guilty…” Luna trailed off.

“I forgive you,” Celestia said.

Not believing what she heard, “How? How can you forgive me? How can I face you?” Luna asked still facing away from Celestia.

“Like this,” Celestia said using her left hand to turn Luna’s face to look at her. Celestia had on a pair of comedy glasses, with a fake nose and fake eyebrows, etc. Also in the right hand was simple squeaking horn. Celestia then squeaked the horn a few times causing the rest of the group to look at her curiously, especially Twilight.

Luna, however, started to laugh, and laugh and laugh. Slowly everyone else started to laugh, save Twilight. The young arcane mage’s right eye started to twitch and then she seemed to just freeze, everyone then stopped as they heard the sound of a porcelain plate fall to the ground and shatter. Twilight then fainted making contact with the ground as if she was a fallen tree. “Looks like you broke your appertinance, Sister,” Luna joked.

“It’s fine,” said Celestia slightly dismissively, “because of how cute I find it I do things like that every couple of months or so. And to be honest, she’s a bit serious for her age, she needs to lighten up a bit more.”

“That’s a terrible way to treat your protege, sister,” Luna chastised Celestia.

“Well, with Pinkie in her life that seems most likely to happen,” commented Rarity, “goodness, who knows how much of a stick in the mud I would be if she hadn’t made the effort to be my friend when we were younger!”

“We need to return to the matter at hand,” Celestia said as she turned to face Luna. “Luna, I care about you. I love you and I failed you. I promised to have your back and I let you down. I am sorry.”

Luna took a breath, “ I cannot forgive you because you were not the one in the wrong.” Luna took another breath before she continued. “I know I forced a hard decision on you when I arose as Nightmare Moon,” said Luna, “but if I had been in your place I probably would have done the same thing. I guess I couldn’t accept your forgiveness until I found how I could forgive myself.”

“So do you accept that you are not Nightmare Moon, that you are forgiven?” Celestia asked.

“No. Nightmare Moon is as much a part of me as the New Moon is to the moon. She always has been and always will be. Nightmare Moon and I are part of the same whole. But what I did as her, no longer defines me. I am ready to be …” Luna paused and took the trapped Nightmare, “Complete.” Luna finished as she opened the orb of light. Nightmare cried out in agony, pain, and defiance as it was pulled into Luna’s heart as if it was being scrubbed out of existence. After what sounded like a cry of terror of millions of voices, a pin dropped could be heard. “I am Luna.”

With everything else handled, Pinkie walked over to the unconscious Tanzanite and pulling his arm over her shoulder to carry him out, “Okay, Uncle Tanzanite, let’s get you home.”

“Let’s go back, this your domain sister,” Luna spoke up and everyone silent agreed with a nod. “After we wake Twilight.”


The return to the waking world was silent, arriving in the throne room of the castle. Celestia walked to her throne and sat down in it, all the while everyone else was focused on the pets and to check on the status of Opal, save Pinkie Pie, who had taken the unconscious Tanzanite to one of the walls and used her smelling salts. However, Luna could tell something was off concerning her elder sister. “Sister? The magic to reach that place is taxing to those who do not have the talent for it, even those of our kind.” Luna spoke in a whisper so that only Celestia could hear her.

“I know, I might need a very long nap after all this,” said Celestia with a short humorless chuckle, “regardless, I went a thousand years without being able to help my sister, and regretted it every day until you returned, Luna. I want to be here to help you, and something told me you need that too, and Spike’s letter did help.” The two had a small laugh. “Luna you have a problem, what you did was self-destructive.” Celestia said, not beating around the bush, “You need to see a psychotherapist, I cannot help you any more than I have. I am going to book an appointment, and in light of recent events, it is not optional. However there is a choice, the choice is either someone from Chantalot that everyone in the capital likely knows or someone much more discreet located in Magiville. Let me know tomorrow.”

Among the others, Twilight placed Owlowiscious on her shoulder, “You did well, Owlowiscious, you are such a clever bird.”

“Actually that was Angel’s idea. I had very little input, but I did make sure the plan was sound enough that none of us were seriously hurt.” Spike commented. “You have to give credit where credit is due.”

“Well, Angel Bunny, I am thankful you helped us out,” Fluttershy said as she kissed her companion's check. Angel just blushed slightly as Fluttershy then scratched his ear.

Applejack picked up, Winona, “Yah done good, girl. Let’s get yah home. Ah think there is a cow bone with yahr name all over it, Sugarcube.”

“Awesome entrance, Tank.” Rainbow said as she hugged her tortoise and rubbed his cheek with her, all the while not caring about how ‘uncool’ her affection to Tank was shown to be.

All the while, Gummy waddled up to Pinkie. “Hey, Gummy.” She turned to Tanzanite and back to the alligator. “This is my great-great-...thousand years worth of generations great grand uncle Tanzanite Thrower Pie.” Gummy just blinked once in response. At the moment Tanzanite woke up. As the old man saw the alligator and then to Pinkie, “This is Gummy, my pet baby alligator.”

“Pet? Alligator? Pet Alligator?” Tanzanite asked. He looked away as if to the readers, “Why?” he asked.

"Because he needs me," Pinkie answered. Tanzanite shook his head and threw up his hands in defeat.

At the same time, Rarity picked up Opal, as the cat had been returned to her normal form, but like Rarity, the cat’s new collar was there. “Oh Opal-wopal, what happened to you?” Rarity asked, only to get a tired meow. “Oh, you poor thing.” Rarity cooed. “Well let’s all go home, you and I really could use a nice long rest. Although the new collar is quite the fashion statement, what are your thoughts on it all?” Opal gave a tired glare. "Sorry, after we get some rest."

“We still have one more person to address,” Rainbow Dash commented, everyone then turned to look at the elementalist. “Nightshade.”