• Published 3rd Jul 2012
  • 2,936 Views, 89 Comments

friendship and violence - trebthegamer

  • ...
6
 89
 2,936

was this friendship a good idea? ch.5

Chapter 5: was this friendship a good idea?


The administrator had returned earlier than expected and Miss Pauling had to tell her everything; including what those ponies were doing on the battlements.

"So you want to tell me the mercs agreed to help the ponies?"

"Yes administrator."

"How unusually nice of them. The ponies didn't stop them from fighting one another?"

"The mercs explained that neither party can die unless the match is lost, and even then they'd have to wait for the next match to begin. They also know about the other team now being mere copies of them."

"Troublesome. I leave for a few days and they bring weird animals on the battlefield and discover the workings of the spawn. This is why I never take holidays this long."

"The ponies crashed in the barn near Teufort. The mercs were going to use the rocket bay in Well to repair it."

"Well, let's relocate them then. They'll have tomorrow to do it."

"Excuse me, miss? No direct intervention?"

"This is trickier than the war we started between Demoman and Soldier; especially since every one of them is involved. Besides, the faster they're gone the better."

The Administrator turned to the screens

"You can continue calling the matches. I don't want them knowing I'm back just yet; But I will be monitoring. I need to see what these things can do."

_____________________________________________________________________________

On the battlements, Sniper was laughing quite hard. He was chasing the same Spy Pyro was and had seen the fez disappear.

"We sent ur mate a gift."

Twilight, now standing next to Sniper, felt responsible for the state of pyro's taunt

"I think it's best you perform it a couple of times; just to let the magic wear off."

They heard a clearing of the throat typical of Spy

"Gentlemen and Miss Sparkle."

He held up Pinkie Pie, whose mane was burned partially. Behind him followed Rarity, scout and Rainbow Dash. Twilight was a bit concerned at the sight of Pinkie Pie's burnt mane.

"What happened to Pinkie!?" Twilight asked in a frantic tone.

Spy dropped Pinkie Pie and took out a new cigarette.

"She followed Demo and Soldier into the blue base, but a walking bay of hay isn't something you see every day. The blue Pyro thought I was playing him for a fool. Lucky for her scout had his mad milk with him."

Dash flew over to Pinkie.

"What were you thinking going into blue base without anyone to protect you?"

"I just wanted to help Mr. Demoman and Soldier."

"Those Two haven't been in a decent conversation since the war. It always ends in an argument; as you have witnessed yesterday." said Sniper

Spy cleared his throat once more "If I may be bold as to criticize, your disguise was a joke and you moved in the middle of everyone's path. May I ask what your plan was?"

"I didn't have a plan." said the pink pony smiling

"How can she smile when she says that?" said Spy shaking his head.

Pyro proved that the tauntkill was fixed by taking down a blue scout that had come up to the group. Sniper finally spoke up, "I think it's best we go to Engy to talk about this."

Everyone agreed and went to the Intel room.

___________________________________________________________________________

The group surprised Engy and Applejack when they entered the Intel room

"Either the spy's have made pony disguises or you guys need a semi-quiet place to talk… Did you put the pink one in the melting oven?" asked the Engineer.

"An unhappy meeting with a blue pyro. She wanted to help Demoman and Soldier."

"That there's a doomed cause. If it were a normal fight, that war would've been a fun contest. But the administrator said something to them and they lost each other's trust. That friendship is gone."

"FOREVEEER!"

Everyone stared at Pinkie Pie. She put up an awkward smile, giggled a bit, and then finally looked back at them. She realized her random ways were put up with a lot better in ponyville.

"Sorry. But I still think we can fix it, as long as we know what has been said."

"All we know is Demoman's side of the story. He claimed Soldier had agreed to kill him."

Spy gave his snobby snicker.

"I got part of Soldiers story."

"A part of it?" said Applejack.

"More than you guys have. He tells the exact same but he didn't agree when they told him Demoman had."

"Then why did he enter the war?" Sniper asked.

"That's the part I don't have. The administrator knows something about him that we don't."

"Why didn't you ask Demoman? He must know if soldier believes he told the administrator." Twilight suggested.

"That's where it gets strange. Demoman won't tell us; not even when he's drunk."

Pinkie jumped around happily "That must mean he didn't tell!"

"I believe we can assume he didn't, but they won't understand it the same way!"

The entire group was now thinking about how they could solve the problem they were faced with. Rarity took some time to think, and said,

"We are going to need both of them to figure this out."

Sniper nodded "After the match, we'll set them up in the courtyard and get to the bottom of this."

The mercs and a few of the ponies left the Intel room. Engy returned to his machines as applejack was asking,

"This is going to become ugly isn't it?"

"Anything gets worse before it gets better." He replied.

___________________________________________________________________

After the match, the mercs and ponies tried to get Demoman and Soldier into the courtyard, but it ended up turning into a fight between the 2; that is, until scout and Dash knocked them out. They then proceeded to tie them up to a chair and set them across each other. Twilight stood with a completely dumbfounded look on her face.

"What just happened? First they argued, then they started calling names, and before I knew it there were explosions everywhere."

"Bugger if I know. We never tried fixing this; It never got in the way of their jobs before. Anyone have a plan for this?"

They exchanged looks but no one had any idea what they were to do next. Engy had only one clue,

"I think we need to know what the administrator said to soldier. We need him to admit something."

Then Pinkie jumped up, and screamed,

"I got it!", then ran off before anyone could say anything.

Spy looked at her going towards the garage

"You think she actually has a plan?"

Rarity responded quietly, "With her, who can tell?"

Heavy went up to Soldier to try his idea.

"You! Tell me what are you hiding like spy?"

"Figure it out yourself numnuts!"

"Is Sasha going to have to ask you?"

"Whoa whoa heavy!" scout ran and stopped him. "If he dies, he'll just respawn, and I don't think he'll let himself get knocked down again."

"So, Sasha no good?"

"She's good but not in this scenario."

Heavy walked away and set Sasha on the table. Soon after, Fluttershy got up the courage to try and ask Soldier. She was quickly yelled away by him. She tried asking Demoman as well with the same results. Several hours passed by as they took turns trying to find out what broke their trust. Applejack had another suggestion for them.

"Can't we ask the administrator what she said?"

"She's not back, and even if she was we'd have more luck asking your rocket why it brought you here."

"But that can't even talk!"

"And the administrator would rather shoot us than answer questions. Which one would you rather ask now?"

Applejack looked down and quietly answered, "I'd rather ask the rocket."

After a long silence Medic asked,

"Where did the pink one… Pinkie was it? Anyway where'd she run off to again?"

As he asked that she came hopping with a plate full of cupcakes. Spy's eyes widened in interest.

"Where'd she find the ingredients for those?"

Engy looked annoyed

"I suspect the melting furnace is going to smell of those isn't it?"

"Melting furnace?"

"We use it to melt spare weapons into new ones."

"Are you saying she used that to make those cupcakes?"

"It's the closest thing resembling an oven around here"

Scout picked one off the tray.

"Where'd you get the ingredients?"

"There's a cafeteria downstairs." Pinkie relied, bouncing around the room.

"We have a cafeteria?" scout asked.

Sniper laughed

"I should've known. After all, this used to be fully working factory and intelligence facility. They probably had some emergency supplies."

Pinkie Pie was still hopping with the tray of cupcakes and asked

"You want some? I can always make more."

Engy grabbed one, ate a bite, then replied,

"Them's some fine cakes. But how is this going to help us fix Soldier and Demoman's friendship?"

"Well, we need to know Soldiers secret, so I'm going to offer these cupcakes to them. I did it before, on somepony else."

Dash looked at her suspiciously.

"Was it that one time you replaced us with inanimate objects?"

Pinkie's awkward smile revealed she was right while the others only looked more confused. Spy picked the tray off Pinkies back

"I think I know what you were trying, but it seems you… have performed it the wrong way. Allow me."

Spy walked up to the two, still struggling to get free of the ropes.

"Feeling hungry Soldier? Demoman?"

Neither responded.

"Gentlemen, you must be hungry, because you skipped lunch to chase Pinkie who was playing with the explosives."

It was quiet enough to hear their stomachs rumble from the scent of the cupcakes.

"Here's my offer: I'll untie and hand over all of these to the first that admits Soldiers secret."

Soldier started yelling at them,

"Of course this is in advantage of that drunken son of a…"

Scout smashed him on the head with a bat before he could finish the sentence.

"Spy isn't done yet."

"Thank you, scout. As an alternative, if you both come to an understanding, you will both get to eat. All we need is to know what's going on between you two, or for you to fix this."

Neither caved in just yet. The group waited a few hours. When night was about to fall, Engy called out to the mercs,

"This is taking too long. Those of you, who do have family in the city, call em up and tell em ur staying at work for the night."

Scout stared at Engy

"We can do that?"

"Heck yes. Sniper, you call Demoman's home. I believe there's someone watching over his mother while he's here. Now how do you guys feel about a barbecue?"

Using some old metal that lay around and an old flamethrower from Pyro, Engineer had built a makeshift barbecue in the courtyard. They took the food from the supply room Pinkie had discovered. They made some burgers for the Mercs and barbecued apples for the Ponies. Pinkie and Applejack decided to make some more cupcakes and sweet things. Demoman and Soldier had been left alone for a bit. Demoman decided to finally speak up.

"You know I wouldn't have traded you for all the cursed swords in the world. But when I heard you had agreed, that's what told me you had abandoned me."

"No, I heard you caved in and even then I told them to find another patsy."

"But you fought me. You gave me a humiliating defeat after our war. You agreed to kill me."

"Not easily like you did. They showed me the video of you agreeing while telling them I was a bad friend. You even told them I was a civilian."

"I never told them that. If I told them I would've told Spy while he was here with them treats."

Spy decided to uncloak. He held his head up in disappointment. "Gentlemen, was that civilian thing really the big secret?"

They both had been caught on this.

"I cannot believe this. You are both incompetent fools. Soldier! Do you honestly think I could not have known you've never been in the army?"

"But my medals…"

"You made those medals yourself. Only heavy would've been fooled by them. The army doesn't give out a medal for most bloodshed on the battlefield."

"Nonetheless it was still my secret and he promised not to tell anyone."

"And I still haven't, mate. We've been had."

"But the administrator, she…"

"Soldier, this is an intelligence facility. There are more scattered all over the badlands. Finding out you were never in the army must've been a routine job for them."

"You are still soldier, right?"

The rest had gathered near them everyone looking angry at heavy for drawing their attention.

"What? He still is, our soldier."

Twilight was curious

"Well, now that this much is cleared up, I think we can all safely say that the administrator has lied to you guys."

"I believe these ropes are unnecessary now." Spy said as he cut both Demoman and Soldier free.

"If Demoman really had told your secret around, why would he bother hiding it from us?"

Both had to agree it sounded right. Demoman stuck out his hand saying "Well I guess we can let this silliness behind us. Ye won fairly. Forgive and forget?"

Soldier grabbed Demo's hand "Only if you let me buy our tickets to the next weapons expo."

They laughed hardy laughs, and then looked at the rest of the group.

"I believe there was talk of a barbecue?"

"You mean your friendship isn't lost forever?" said Pinkie happily leading the two to the food.

The two looked at the pink pony and nodded.

Twilight asked Sniper with confusion, "Why does the administrator disapprove of friendship?" She wrote at least a letter a week to Princess Celestia, telling what lessons she had learned about friendship; she was not used to the idea that such a wonderful thing could be looked down upon.

"I have no idea." He said in reply.

_________________________________________________________________

They barbecued deep into the night, telling stories, showing tricks, laughing. Engineer even played a song on his guitar. In this moment, it seemed as if they all felt like a regular group, just having a party. But the Administrator had been following the entire thing. She was disgusted by everything she had seen.

"It seems just getting these things to go home won't be fast enough. I should place the objective for the blue team to destroy them."

"Um.. Administrator?"

"Yes Miss Pauling?"

"The soldier already attempted to destroy one the day they arrived. His critrocket was unsuccessful."

"You can have that with the Heavy class. It just means you'll have to hit it again, more and often."

She thought over the situation.

"I'll send some men that are unrelated to TFindustries first, that way they can't tell I sent them."

"Administrator If I may ask, why do you think friendship is a bad thing?"

"Friends? Friends are just enemies who don't have the guts to kill you. Mr. Mundy should know this."

"The Sniper, ma'am?"

"He had the motto that at the end of the day, when there's two people left on the planet, one is going to want the other dead. You haven't noticed, Miss Pauling, but they have changed. Even the heavy seems calmer. They are thinking and talking. They will eventually think and talk about us. In fact, the purple one is already asking a lot about us."

She stood up and walked towards the exit

"You can go home for today, Miss Pauling. I'll just have to make one call."

_____________________________________________________________________________

Back at the Party Rarity had placed herself on the overpass.

"Attention everyone! I have prepared a surprise for you all."

Spy came up with a small box. Scout noticed something different.

"Hey spy, are those gems in the belt of your fedora?"

"Scout, not now."

Rarity continued.

"Mr. Spy has explained me the idea behind medals, so I felt I must make you all one."

She took nine medals, each made out of a gem, out of the box Spy was carrying.

"I made one specifically for each of you."

Every gem had the emblem of a class in it. Twilight was amazed, so she asked Rarity,

"How did you get those shapes in the gems?"

"Well I was practicing a spell for that shortly before the festival. I managed to perfect it yesterday."

After every merc got his medal, they celebrated a bit more until they grew tired. Twilight took a look at Demoman, who had decided to end the party by making some fireworks using rockets and stickybombs. Using both they had created remotely detonable rockets. Twilight was writing down in a little notebook Sniper had found lying around.

"They seem happier than usual." She said with a smile.

"They got loads of fun to catch up on." Sniper told her.

Twilight nodded as she wrote down that rekindled Friendships often burn brighter than before.