• Published 3rd Jul 2012
  • 770 Views, 12 Comments

Zompony Apocalypse - GingerMelody



Rarity, AppleJack, and the new pony in town work together to save Equestria for a Zombie Apocalypse.

  • ...
1
 12
 770

Infection is Inevitable

Twilight Sparkle could not believe her eyes as they approached the castle. And I thought Canterlot looked bad... The entire castle was surrounded by guards. Each guard was sporting their own set of saddlebags and each saddlebag was bulging from it's contents. I wonder what could be be in their saddlebags that would make them that heavy? Twilight had been working on a new x-ray spell recently and decided that now would be a pretty good time to test it out.

Is that...ammo? At closer inspection she realized that, not only was the castle surrounded by guards, but there were...machine guns stationed at almost every window. What the...? Before she had time to question the Princess about this extremely frightening new security system they had reached the castle's entrance and were rushed inside.

"OH MY GOSH!" Pinkie Pie gasped in excitement as they entered the ball room. "A PARTY!!!! Everypony in Canterlot must be here! What a great surprise Princess! YIPEE!" She was right in assuming that everypony who lived in Canterlot was crowded into the ball room, but nopony else was cheering with Pinkie Pie as she bounced around the room. Everypony seemed completely exhausted and in no mood to party. They were huddled in groups on the floor of the ball room and looked like they had been there for several days. "Wow, you guys sure look gloomy! Is nopony excited about the ball this weekend? I know I am!"

Princess Celestia looked at Pinkie Pie with remorse and said quietly, "Pinkie Pie...I'm afraid that the festivities for this weekend had to be canceled. We have had an...epidemic of sorts. Twilight Sparkle, will you come with me to the library please?"

"Umm, of course Princess. But, can you please explain to me what in Equestria is going on here?"

"I will explain everything to you if you will just accompany me to the library Twilight. Please." The Princess had a pleading look on her face. There were dark circles under her eyes and her brow looked as if it was permanently was furrowed with worry.

"I guess Spike and me will just wait here and try to cheer everypony up!" Pinkie had only been momentarily bummed out from the Princess' news. Even if the ball was canceled, that doesn't mean everypony here can't have a little fun! "Come on Spike! Let's get happy!"

--

"So the guns...and the saddlebags full of ammo are for...protection?" Princess Celestia nodded sadly and continued to gaze out the window. She seemed to be searching for an answer that she knew she would never find. Twilight walked over to stand by the Celestia's side. "But...how could this happen? What could cause something so...so absolutely horrifying?"

"I wish I knew Twilight, but I don't. We only know how to get rid of them and even after we take down one, three more pop up in a new location. It's like...It's like an infection spreading through a body. At first the infection seems harmless, but then it starts to spread. As it spreads it gets stronger and begins to take over the host cells with ease. It devours anything healthy and turns it into a copy of the infected DNA. Infection is almost always inevitable and usually ends up killing the host unless a cure, such as an antibiotic, is introduced..." Twilight Sparkle nodded.

The Princess was completely correct in her comparison of the current situation to an infection in the body. However, there was no antibiotic to cure this infection...

--

"I guess that was kinda relaxin'. I'm sorry I was so rude about the whole spa thing before I had even tried it Rarity. Thanks." Apple Jack had actually enjoyed being waited on for the first time in her life. It had felt nice to let somepony else take care of her messy mane and to have an "exfoliating facial," in Rarity's words.

"Oh, it was my pleasure Apple Jack. It feels especially nice to be pampered after a long day of manual labor, right?" A.J nodded and thanked Rarity again before heading up the narrow path that lead to Sweet Apple Acres. I guess it wasn't so bad after all. Haha. Maybe I should spend time with Rarity more often...?

"I'll see you later Apple Jack! Don't ruin your new mane-do too quickly now!" Rarity giggled. "Ahh. I feel much better now. A day at the spa always relaxes me and clears my mind before I have to start a new commission."

--

Ginger Melody awoke the next morning with a bit of a back ache. She had been sleeping on a cot at Fluttershy's house since she had arrived in Ponyville and it was starting to take a toll on her body. I seriously need to find a job so I can afford an actual bed. My back hasn't hurt this much since I fell out of that tree back home. Ugh

"Oh, good morning Ginger. I hope you slept well. I'm having everyone over for tea today, I hope yo don't mind." Geez Fluttershy is so timid! She's asking my permission to have ponies over to her house.

"I'm doing great, thanks! But, this is your house Fluttershy. Haha. I'm pretty sure you can have anypony over for tea whenever you want." Ginger smiled and gave Fluttershy a pat on the back.

"Heh. Yes, I guess so. You're so funny Ginger Melody. I'm sure you'll get along with everypony just fine. They should be here any minute..." As she finished her sentence, Fluttershy was startled by a loud banging on her front door.

"Fluttershy! Open up, it's Rainbow Dash!" But before she even made it to the door Rainbow had burst into the tiny cottage and had made herself comfortable on the couch.

Fluttershy whispered, "Come in...make yourself comfortable." before silently making her way into the kitchen to prepare tea.

"Hey! You look really familiar!" Rainbow squinted her eyes and tried to remember where she had seen this ginger mare before today. "Have I seen you around here before?" Ginger had taken a seat on the opposite end of the couch from Rainbow Dash and smiled nervously when the Pegasus suddenly addressed her.

"Ummm, yeah. You kind, of crashed into me at high speed a few days ago just after I had gotten off the train." She smiled again. "You said something along the lines of, 'Hey, watch where you're going! I'm flying up here!' which was funny because I was walking on the ground and you were the one who crashed into me."

Rainbow was taken aback by Ginger's answer and chuckled nervously. "It's okay though! I figured it would be no good to start off in a whole new place by holding a grudge against somepony for a simple accident."

A sigh of relief escaped from Rainbow as she realized that this earth pony liked to joke just as much as she did. "Haha. I like you, you're pretty funny! What did you say your name was again?"

"Ginger Melody. It's a pleasure to meet you Rainbow Dash."

"I'm hereeeeeee." Rarity entered the cottage with style, as always. She was sporting a new sunhat and a pair of giant sunglasses.

"Yes, the guest of honor has arrived." Apple Jack rolled her eyes but chuckled as Rarity made her entrance. She trotted over to Ginger and introduced Apple Jack. When Fluttershy came about with the tea, everypony eagerly questioned Ginger about Checker County and answered all of her questions about Ponyville and Canterlot.

"You simply must accompany me to Canterlot next time I visit. You would love it, being a small town pony like yourself. The city is always bustling and brimming with excitement."

Oh how wrong she was...