• Published 1st Jan 2017
  • 431 Views, 2 Comments

Of Iron and Crystal - King-Mac-13



Something was hidden away beneath the mountain that houses Canterlot. Now it's been dug up and it spells trouble for Equestria.

  • ...
 2
 431

Resting on Stardust

Author's Note:

Don't worry. This is not a joke chapter, it's dumb luck it came out today rather than yesterday... Anyway, enjoy!

The group approached the prison complex. Etched into the side of the wall was a five-pointed star atop a crystal of some kind, a number of other undiscernible imagines, and the phrase [If I ever see this place again, it’ll be too soon.] But what really caught the group’s attention was the sign above the doorway: [Welcome to Stardust Prison].

“How did we miss that?” Flash looked over the sign, flabbergasted.

Though, Shining Armor had to remain pragmatic in the situation. “Doesn’t matter. Now, for orders… Grey!”

“Yo…”

“I’ll ignore the tone for now and chalk it up to tiredness… While the rest of us search, I need you to find the archives for the prison. We need as much information as possible.”

“Got it!” Grey rushed inside the prison. Shining learned on the way here that Grey is motivated by the search for information.

“Flash and I will search the prison the old fashion way. Sombra!”

The Corporal turned his head toward the Captain. “Yes?”

“Use your shadow form and sweep the prison. Look into anything that seems suspicious and use your lack of form to your advantage.”

After a moment, the Corporal slowly shifted into a shadowy mist. “Understood…” The cloud entered the prison, into the shadows.

“Are you sure about that, Captain?” Flash asked as they entered the complex’s walls. “Sombra might run off or attack us.”

“If we want to give Sombra a second chance, he needs the opportunity to make that choice. Now, come on. We have a prison to search.”

“If you say so, Captain…”

“You search the upper floors, I’ll search down here.”

“Okay. I get the Sombra needing the chance thing, but separating in a place like this is just begging for an attack.”

“We’ve already split up, Flash,” Shining gave his subordinate a challenging smile, “Or are you scared?”

“I’m not scared of some run down prison! Let’s do this!” Flash flew in without any further argument. Shining Armor rolled his eyes and entered the prison after him.

\/

Grey found his way to the warden’s office and started his search through the files. He found a map of the prison showing the layout and 27 numbered locations. He then found a set of keys on the desk, each numbered corresponding to those on the map. However, numbers 2 and 6 missing. He looked back to the map to figure out which places these were. 2 was labelled [Storage] and 6 was [Solitary Confinement]. He noted this and continued his search. Beyond a few prisoner statistics, there wasn’t much that could help him. He made a mental note of each file and left the office to continue.

He entered the next room and found the archive. He was like a little foal in a candy store. That said, his face never showed it. He wasn’t one for outbursts of emotion. He’ll smile, sure; but nothing too big. He dug into the files for anything that might help. There was a myriad of files with various labels: [Personnel Files], [Account Book], and a curious book labeled [Crystal War Era]. He looked around before placing the war file in his saddlebag, justifying it with a ‘no one is using it’ argument. He continued his search unabated.

\/

Sombra floated through the prison, searching beneath rubble and in tight spaces from the shadows. He felt the crystal affecting his magic. It didn’t hurt like the Crystal Heart at the festival, but it was still there. Then he felt something different. A noise coming from somewhere in the prison. He would say it sounded painful, but he actually felt the pain. Being in his shadow form, his ears were, more or less, integrated into the smoke; making the whole ‘hearing’ thing more like ‘feeling’. It’s kind of hard to explain unless you experience it.

He moved to the shadows to avoid a direct conflict. He was still weaker than he would have liked thanks to the crystal. He couldn’t see whatever it was, but he felt the pain run through him. This was a new feeling for him. Not the pain, but a fear for life. He knew fear of his destiny, of what he was, of the possibility that he was the only monster among the Umbra. But this? This was new. He didn’t dare look at what was causing this.

Once the pain passed, he was able to reform himself. Now able to track the sounds, he heard heavy hoof steps off in the distance. He returned to his shadow form and moved to track down the others.

\/

He stopped when he found something labelled [The Prisoner from Tartarus]. He wasn’t sure why, but he felt he had to open and read this file. Inside he found a letter, written by the warden.

[I hope that thing never wakes up.]

Off to a great start…

[It would be best for everypony to just put that damn thing down. It just sounds… pained. Its breathing (if you could call it that) actually hurts to hear. If it were my call, I’d put the thing out of its misery. But, it’s not my call. Higher-ups from the surrounding kingdoms are adamant about returning it to Tartarus. They fail to take into account that it is too powerful for us to control. They created an enchantment to keep that thing in the storage area and a secondary barrier at the walls once the prison is finally shut down. It’ll be a decent guard once this place is closed, keep any dumbasses from sneaking around… Still, I fear for anypony that gets in its way.]

The hell? Grey Hat took note of the letter and left the archive to find the others.

\/

Shining Armor trotted through the prison’s lower level. He passed what appeared to be an infirmary and was approaching the mess hall. Inside, he found a decaying and dust covered room showing no signs of rushed exit.

“Well, at least I know nopony’s been here recently.” He thought out loud. “Now… where should…” He wasn’t able to finish his statement before everything suddenly went black.

He came to in a strange room. He groggily looked around to find himself bound to floor by chains and an inhibitor around his horn stopping his magic. He started to panic, trying to make sense of it all. That’s when he saw a sight he never wanted to again.

“Hello Shining Armor.” An enticing voice fueled in trickery, Chrysalis, “Did you miss me?”

He tried to speak, but his voice was held back at the shock of the sight before him. This was not the regal Queen of Changelings. This was a thin, hallow shell of what once was. Her ‘mane’ was a disheveled mess (more so than before), the holes in her hooves seemed to have expanded, her body showing clear signs of lack of sustenance.

“What’s wrong, Captain? Cat got your tongue?”

He finally got ahold of himself, “No. Just a little surprised to see a stick bug here.”

Chrysalis’ face showed no anger, but some level of annoyance. “I see you still like to act cute from time to time.”

“Bitch, I’m adorable.”

“Ooh! Adding some teeth to your words. That’s new.”

“Different conversation partners lead to different speech patterns. I figured you of all ponies would know that.”

“I am well aware.”

“Awesome. So, if that’s done, how about you either tell me what’s going on and why you have me chained to the floor or let me out so I can bring you in for assault of an officer and unlawful imprisonment.”

“As enticing as your options sound, I think it best not to pick B. I should just let you stay here to rot in this cell, but I’m not that cruel.”

“Could have fooled me…”

“Memory serves, I did on our wedding day.”

“Never let those words pass your lips in that order again! You were never part of the marriage! You were a twisted, deceiving witch!”

“You flatter me, Captain. Really… But I think we have more pressing matters to discuss.” She trotted behind her captive, who could only manage a 90 degree turn due to the chains.

Sitting on a small chair was a light blue gemstone about the size of a grown stallion’s head. Inside, Shining could swear he saw a small object. It was hard to see within the crystal, but still visible within.

“Do you know what this is?”

“I have the feeling you’re going to tell me.”

She smiled to herself. “Good to hear, Captain. It’s best you don’t know. All you need to know is that it’s almost complete. Just a little more energy…”

“Let me guess, you plan to take it from me?”

“No. I have plans for you, but not that.” She lifted the gem and moved toward the door. Before she left, she gagged the Captain and pulled the unicorn to the ground with the chains. “Enjoy your stay, Shining. You’re not going anywhere just yet.”

Shining Armor was alone and unable to move. He knew whatever Chrysalis was planning, it wasn’t good. He was scared for the ponies nearby and terrified that she might bypass them and attack his family. He has to get out! He has to stop her!

\/

Flash had landed back on the ground and looked around. He noticed Grey Hat and trotted over to him. “Hey! Anything helpful?”

“Maybe. A few things to look over later… There was a map and two missing keys to Solitary and Storage. Anything on your end?”

“Nothing up top. I was going to report to the Captain, but I can’t find him…”

“Hmm… Any sign of our Corporal?”

“Nope.”

“This could be a problem. We should…”

He was cut off when a smoky cloud dragged them both beneath a pile of rubble. The two prepared for a fight but found Sombra. The former king was looking out a hole in the rubble close to the ground.

“Sombra! What the hell?”

“Shush!” Sombra silenced both brothers with his hooves and looked back outside.

Curious, the two joined him. The area was quiet. For a moment… Something started to echo in the halls. What could they call it? A dry groan? A guttural breath? Whatever it was, it sounded painful and was painful to hear. The two guards wanted to leave the rubble and see if, whoever it was, was okay. They were stopped when a massive hoof fell in front of their faces on the other side of the rubble. It had to be twice the size of a normal hoof and covered in scars. A strange purple miasma secreted from the wounds on the leg. The front hoof lifted and was soon replaced by the back. The trio remained behind the rubble for a good five minutes in silence at what they had seen. Sombra returned his helmet to his head and closed the face plate to hide his face.

“Uh…” The three jumped a bit at the sudden voice behind them, turning quickly. They were met with the face of Shining Armor. “Dare I ask?”