• Published 13th Dec 2016
  • 267 Views, 0 Comments

Dreams - abbymcvey87



Octavia wakes up in the middle of the night after a terrible dream.

  • ...
 0
 267

Nightmares

She hardly even registered the rain. The most important thing in her life was just walking away from her, without giving a reason.

Vinyl Scratch was kicked in her sleep.

"Hey, watch it," she muttered. Then she heard Octavia murmuring, and it didn't sound like 'I'm sorry'.

"I've told you already, you aren't good enough. You were fun to be with for awhile, but did you really think this would last? I mean, we're not even into the same music, and that's the most important thing in my life."

"I thought I was the most important thing in your life..."

"Geez, did you really believe me when I said that? Music has always been the most important thing in my life, and it always will be. Get over yourself."

"Octi."

"Please...Please..."

"Octi!"

"Vinyl... No... I can change..."

"OCTAVIA!"

"WHA-!"

Vinyl looked down at the mare she was lightly shaking. Octavia looked back up at her, still crying and whimpering from whatever dream she'd been having.

"Octavia?"

"Vinyl... I was so scared..."

"Why? What happened? Was it the dream about showing up to your own concert naked again? Cus I told you last time, it's not like your collar really covers much anyw-"

She stopped when Octavia finally broke down completely. Her sobs grew louder, and her tears came harder. She collapsed into Vinyls arms, almost limp, for ten full minutes before she finally regained enough composer to face the beautiful white unicorn who was so obviously willing to help. How could I have ever thought she'd leave me?

"Never mind, Vinyl. It was just a stupid dream." Vinyl stared in response. Almost inaudibly, Octavia muttered, "Y-you left me..."

"What? Octi, you know I would never do that, right? You don't need to be so scared."

"Yes, I know... I love you, Vinyl."

"I love you too, Octavia. And I always will." Vinyl punctuated her declaration with a soft kiss. "Now, will you be able to sleep alright?"

"I don't know... I-I'm still pretty shaken..."

"Okay. I'll stay up with you."

"Thank you."

"I love you."

"I love you, too."

It was the fifth time that Octavia had had that dream, and every time it changed a little, reflecting whatever she was fearing. The first time had been triggered by her friends, Lyra and Bon bon, splitting up. She'd always pictured them as the perfect couple, so when they had their last big fight and Lyra left town, it had shaken her to her core. And all Bon bon had told her was that she hadn't been good enough for Lyra. But Vinyl was there that time. She helped more than any amount of hot chocolate or instrumental music could. But here she was, on the night before her birthday, all alone. She thought back to her dream, about what had changed.

"You aren't good enough... We don't even like the same music... Music has always been the most important thing in my life..."

'That must be it... Her stupid tour...' Vinyl had left for an Equestria-wide tour a week ago, and she was still away. They had a falling out over the timing, and how Octavia felt like she would be alone on her big day. Vinyl had assured her she would still have all her other friends (she had even convinced Lyra and Bon bon to be in the same room for ten minutes, but that was a surprise), but Octavia still felt like she would be abandoned.

'I have got to get over this, Vinyl will never leave me. Why is it so set in my subconscious that she will? It's just some bad dreams. I'll feel better after some hot cocoa and Beethoofen.'


Hundreds of miles away

Oh no.

She looked at the sleeping unicorn next her.
Oh no.

The mint colored unicorn would be on the earliest train to Ponyville the next day so that she would be there in time for Octi's birthday party.
How am I gonna explain this to her?

She was just supposed to be spending the night at Lyra's house. But... she had been so upset about not being able to be with Octi tomorrow... and Lyra tried to comfort her... and one thing just led to another...

She's never gonna trust me again.

But, then again... maybe she didn't even have to tell her... After all, she hadn't found out about Vinyl and Lyra's affair last year... the thing that had made Bon bon kick Lyra out of the house. Heck, Bon bon didn't even know it had been her, just that there had been an affair.

Yeah, I don't even have to tell her.

Vinyl settled to sleep, her hooves wrapped around Lyra's waist, as Octavia settled down for her third sleepless night that week.

Author's Note:

Hi! This was my first story, so I hope you enjoyed it and thanks for reading!