• Published 31st Dec 2016
  • 1,426 Views, 2 Comments

Fallout Equestria: Scavenger - Foeanon



Fallout Equestria story about a scavenger and repair pony trying to get by until a mare with certain info gets to him

  • ...
 2
 1,426

Chapter 1 - Scavenger

Walking into the house, I felt no fear, only curiosity about what treasure will be hidden inside. Even though all those stories about the residential building being occupied with the old world souls couldn’t stop me in my work. Besides, those were only urban legends to scare off little fillies from going into the city ruins, and staying with their parents at their settlements. I went inside, and as always I went straight for kitchen - most appliances being there, even though they were kitchen machines, you still could salvage so many parts and later used them somewhere else. For example, the fridge having a compressor which could be later used for air cleaning weapons or pump the air into pressure tanks, while the oven had not only heating unit for heating up water or being used in new oven, it had also lights and many switches for other machinery. As I came into the room I noticed the white pony which was almost invisible, standing above the stove and preparing something in actual frying pan. It looked at me with its black eyes, and the grin on her face instantly changed into anger. It stared right at me, which felt like it is trying to stare into my soul and trap me with them in this world. In matter of seconds, another white pony appeared, grabbed one of the kitchen knives which was right next to the stove and stabbed me right in my chest. As I was falling unconscious I could hear them whispering: “We don’t tolerate zebra spies in proper pony family”

-------------------------------------

I opened my eyes, just to stare on my dark blue ceiling, my heart beating fast, probably as fast as it was possible without exploding. I turned on the bed to face my humble home - a small wine cellar, long forgotten, now turned into a proper housing for one pony. I made this place as comfy as possible with the resources I had at my hoof. Repainting the walls and building some new ones with wooden planks just to keep my bed and kitchen with my small living room separated from the workshop.

I got up from the bed, and looked into the mirror right there. I haven’t brushed my dark blue mane, nor actually took shower in days, probably weeks now, but I could hardly tell how long it was since my coat was always gray and it was hard to tell if I am dirty or actually clean; I was glad for that feature, because I absolutely hated cleaning myself. To be honest, I never actually did deal with ponies, so no one really cared that much. Being an earth pony and a stallion I was rather skinny than the usual build of earth ponies I have seen around the settlements.

I walked over to the kitchen which was right behind the wooden wall, took a sip of water and looked up on the clock. I salvaged those from an old school, just replaced the spark battery and guessed the time by the sun. So it was approximately sometime around eight in the morning; pretty much the usual time for me to get up.

I slowly moved towards the workshop which took most of the cellar. I had a big workbench with shelves all around it, and small containers labeled according to whatever was inside of them; from different sized screws and nuts to a small machine specific parts, as well as bigger parts with many uses, like the heating unit, or just unique parts like the spark battery convertors. There was so much parts around, that if I wanted to I could make a robot, although that would need a lot of time, as well as proper blueprints and also someone who knew how to program one. I could work with machines but as soon as it came to computers I had only one small terminal which I used for storing blueprints I found in the ruins. And that summed up all my computer knowledge. I bet there were bunch of other uses hidden in there, but for me it was enough.

I had a delivery prepared - a big circular saw especially for cutting through thick metal plates. I got it commissioned by the only pony I traded with, who used to pay me enough for my work and always had something for me to do. Just need to check few things to make sure it is ready to be delivered. Opened the drawers in the workbench, there, a line from smallest to biggest I had arranged almost all the tools which existed, screwdrivers, wrenches, different cutters, pliers and whatever else you needed for working with machines. I took a wrench and made sure all the bolts were tight enough on the circular saw, especially the disc itself, so it doesn’t fly out and kill a working pony. Afterwards I made sure the vee belt was tightened enough, but not too much so it doesn’t destroy the bearings in just few days of use. Under the machine I made a small slot for spark batteries with easy plug and unplugging, so you don’t have to have ton of wires going around. I took two spark batteries from the shelf and plugged them inside, starting the saw. There was a simple switch with three positions which I salvaged from an old toaster; One off, second a low power option to start it up so it doesn’t eat the spark batteries in one go and the third one for full power. Everything was working as intended, switching it off, putting the spark batteries and the tool to their rightful place, I quickly glanced around the shelves and made a note what will be needed. For sure bunch of spark batteries wouldn’t hurt at all, wires, maybe some more battery slots which I used on the saw, oil can I could definitely use, as well as pistons for the cylinder I had here and could be turned into cylinder pump if I found the right size. Bunch of other parts were not as urgent, but I was always taking everything I could get my hooves onto. Not like it will get lost in here.

I made my way back to my bedroom and opened the locker in which I had stored my armour. It was a leather armour which I traded for one of my machines, in particular the water heating. I knew the heating had way higher price, but I just didn’t want to bargain for hours with the pony so I simply asked for a leather boarding. It used to be in bad shape, but I managed to reinforce it with more leather layers and give it this old timey feel. The sleeves for hooves were completely cut off as a separate parts than the boarding itself. It took a while to get into the boarding but I was proud of my creation. I slid into the boarding, strapping it in place with a leather belt of same colour across my side. The hooves were a bit trickier; sliding each hoof into the sleeve I secured it with two smaller belts, on both ends. It was a bit tight but I always got used to it after few hours out there. Right next to the locker was a hanger on which my saddlebags were resting. Long time ago - as one of my own creation - I attached a sheath for machete on the inside of the right saddlebag. The only weapon I ever had, and the only one I could kill something with. I never was good at shooting, no matter how fun it was, but having something that is making explosions right in my mouth or strapped to my side was horrifying thought. I picked up the saddlebags and secured them on my back.

Now it was time to get stocked up and deliver the machine. I gathered few bottles of water, some random boxes of pre-war food I had, and went for the door. The door was reinforced with metal plates and bunch of slidings locks all around which were powered by a spark battery hooked to a small simple engine and a talisman as a controller. I placed my talisman to the door and the locks slid away. I opened the door, lifting the tarp which covered them from outside, masking it from unwanted visitors and placed two rails on the few stairs which led down to the cellar. I hooked the machine which was placed on a small cart to my back and pulled it out of the cellar. Hiding the rails back inside, locking the door with the same talisman and masking the door again, I made my way towards the Traders district.

--------------------


The way to Traders usually took around two hours depending on the weather and the surprises which were waiting on my way. Barely ever I encountered anything, and if so, it was a roaming ghoul or just some critters trying to survive. I never managed to find a pony on my journey, nor anything bigger or dangerous I couldn’t handle. The way was pretty easy as well, just keep following the road between hills and later through long dead forest until I reached a crossroad on which I made my way towards the north. I enjoyed the quiet walk, being able to think to myself about what to build, the mechanism and functions of machinery, blueprints and what could be changed and combined to be more effective, what will wait for me today in the ruins, or what will Coin Punch have for me today.

As soon as I saw the Traders district, I turned to the East and kept my distance from the settlement, as I always prefered not having to talk to anyone and just enjoy my silence. It took another few minutes before sighting the scrapyard. The huge place was visible from far away, almost as big as the Traders district alone, although most of it just junk. It looked like a huge horseshoe of stuff which was brought by scavengers from all around the place and later just dumped around on a pile for the workers to go through, take apart whatever they could use and trade it away, with a small office in the middle where Coin Punch resided and took care of all the trades going around his place. He was very intimidating with trades, therefore everyone just kept to their ends and no one really tried to screw him over.

I made my way through the front gate, guarded with only two earth ponies in a watchtower. The place was really peaceful so there were rarely any attacks by ponies, usually just by ghouls or mutated animals. I noticed that the workers were disassembling a sky chariot, which was most likely brought for the big traveling agency stop I saw few times in the ruins. I regretted the choice of destroying instead of repairing it. It could be made flying again with bunch of repairs and investment, and later used for hauling more parts around. I started imagining it, working on it, replacing all the wires, finding new talisman, maybe attaching some new lights inside and outside then replacing all the bodywork with new metal plates and painting it on a blue colour, maybe attaching a radio with speakers inside, remove most of the seats and install racks, shelves and different lockers and crates, maybe even add a workbench with tools, and….

*Bump*

I walked straight into the office due to my daydreaming, and thanks to the big machine I pulled, it just pushed me right into the wall. Getting back to my hooves and cleaning my face, I looked up as I heard familiar voice to call out:

“Ohohoh! You gotta watch your face my little friend, or you gonna kill yourself one day!” Coin Punch said with his strong accent which made him even more intimidating. The big unicorn looked from the window in trading office at me. His yellow coat and almost as golden mane made him look like he is made out of gold. “I take it as you finished my order!” he added.

I just quietly nodded. I barely ever opened my mouth to talk unless it was absolutely necessary. I simply hated any and all conversation. That is why I was always hidden away from the town only with my machines. They never complained, never wanted to talk about how my day was or whined about how bad their day was.

“Thank you! Unhook it right here, my ponies will take it and start working immediately. Anyway, here is your payment,” he levitated a small pouch full of caps, “three hundred caps, just for you!”

I unhooked the machine and picked up the pouch. I trusted him, so I just put it in my saddlebags and looked at him, awaiting another order.

“I will need a water pump, something really simple this time I bet. The ponies in the Traders district need a new pump as they keep getting bigger and bigger, and the one you sold me last time is not enough anymore. Something bigger or more complex would surely do the task!”

Sure, as always he said it is easy, but it’s not just like that. I instantly started thinking about which kind of pump would do, piston pump would be too simple, so probably would need to make a gear or rotary pump. And getting parts for that would be hard alone, not talking about actually making it, synchronizing the gears and all the spaces, sealing it properly… Luna help me, that is gonna take a while.

“At least a week,” I simply answered. This would be a bigger project than some simple pump. Would probably be able to make it sooner, but I want things to be fully functional and reliable.

“Oh you take your time mechanic! If you make it under a week I will give you extra payment. Otherwise four hundred caps!”

I had no chance of finishing it just under a week, unless I put all my time into it. And I valued sleep and scavenging too much to give up on that. More like week and half if I was being realistic. If I was being too optimistic, I might be able to find some good parts of pre-war pumps, clean them and refurbish.

“I’ll do my best. Thanks.” I turned around and making my way out of the scrapyard. I wanted to go to the Ministry building today, look for more of the documents on the subject of pre-war experiments. I don’t know if it is another of the urban legends going around, or actually a thing, but under the city ruins is supposed to be a maze of laboratories, each with different research subjects, some of them even still fully functional. Instead I made my way towards the old repair shop in the ruins, hoping I would find some mechanical parts I could use for the pump. The ministry building can be visited later on or some other day.

--------------------------------

The ruins of the old city were incredibly silent, which was actually a usual thing, although pretty disturbing. From each side of the city were standing residential buildings, and the closer to the centre the buildings slowly became shops or offices. Right in the centre was a huge, still incredibly irradiated crater from the balefire bomb which fell in here and ended the war. I never been in the actual middle, but even in closer areas to there I quickly got irradiated, feeling like crap and puking my guts out. So I tried to stay away as much as possible.

I never went into a residential building either, both due to being afraid of that story and my stupid dreams, as well as not really being anything interesting in there. It was better to go into an office or old shop, which yield way more parts than just a stupid pony house.

As soon as I went past the residential buildings, the structures rapidly change, not just a small houses but rather tall buildings, usually collapsed in midway, the widows destroyed, doors usually not in sight and bunch of rubble all around the place. I remembered most of the ruins, as I was walking here on almost daily basis, as well as having a map and to my luck the streets were still marked by pre-war signs.

Suddenly I heard a crack somewhere far behind me. I instantly drawn the machete out, and hid behind a corner, only to see the yellow mare who has been following me for at least a week now. She never spoke to me and usually stayed hidden, but I always seen her at least once a day in the ruins. I didn’t really know what was she doing, why the fuck would she be following me constantly, and what she wanted. She possibly had no information about me, I never told anyone even my real name, nor my intentions. And Coin Punch was always good in keeping the secret that I made all the machines.

I hid the machete, as the mare again hid and disappeared from my sight and continued towards the mechanic shop, which was now only a few blocks away. I gave a thought to the pump, maybe a few pumps from a pre-war dishwashers or washing machines could do, connected parallely to a single pipe, even if small it would still be able to pump enough as each of it would give its maximum output and just adding more flow to it.

I came to the mechanical shop, first as always slowly moving in, weapon ready if something decided to camp inside but it was empty as usual. I quickly glanced over the machines which were around. It looked like it was shop mainly for construction machinery, as different tools were lying around, between them I’ve seen bigger machines such as mechanical cutters and even a big engine for producing electricity. I remember I seen that instead of using spark batteries, but it was too big and too loud. I gave it a thought though, it had a lot of gears inside as well as possible gearbox, which could be made into a gear pump with enough sealing. Probably could use rubber hoses or silicone if I found some. I went for the idea of it, better something than nothing for now. I started disassembling it into smaller parts, so it fits into my saddlebags. I remembered how useful my saddlebags were with all the small pockets I fitted with tools for these exact opportunities. Taking apart the cylinders, pistons and almost all the unnecessary parts which could be used for something else instead, probably building an engine. I would fit a spark battery or talisman powered motor inside and making it pump.

As soon as I was finished with the engine and having it stored in my saddlebags I went around looking for spark batteries, but I found only one. On the other hoof I was able to find bunch of screws still in original boxes and marked. Right into my saddlebags it goes. I wanted to take one of those other tools, but I felt like it would be too much for my saddlebags at this point, and rather being safe than sorry and destroying them.

I turned around to leave the shop when suddenly this yellow ball of fur appeared in my vision. I yelled in surprise, before I was able to draw my machete and defend myself I fell on my haunches because of the heavy loaded saddlebags.

“Heya Cylinder Block! How are we doing this beautiful day?!” The yellow fur yelled. Only then I noticed it was the mare who kept following me around...