• Published 3rd Dec 2016
  • 1,344 Views, 53 Comments

Journey - Penalt



Princess Luna is pulled through the malfunctioning mirror portal to a world without magic. A world known as Earth.

  • ...
2
 53
 1,344

Storm's Sacrifice

“And in other news, there is a state-wide Severe Storm Watch, going into effect as of 9pm tonight,” the radio said, in Mrs. Norris’ kitchen while she made herself a small pot of soup to go with the baking powder biscuits that were rising in the oven. “Thunderstorms are likely, along with high winds as well as the possibility of tornadic activity across the state. Residents are advised to check their emergency supplies and take all necessary precautions.”

Norris frowned and started shutting down her preparations for a small dinner. An incoming storm on the scale that the radio spoke of meant a lot of work to get the farm ready, and make sure its most valuable asset, the dairy herd, was safe. It was going to require an “all-hands evolution” as her dear Jon would have said. Norris stepped away from the cooling stove to pull her old phone off its hook on the wall.

“Chiara,” Edith said, a moment after the younger woman picked up the other end of the line. “We’ve got a big storm coming in. I need you and everyone else to get things ready. How’s the ankle?”

“Still a little sore, but the doctor said I can use it as long as I don’t try lifting any weights,” Chiara’s said, her voice getting louder and quieter as the young woman began dressing on the fly. “I can be down in about twenty minutes or so.”

“Take it easy on the way down with your bike,” Norris said, cautioning the younger woman. “When you get down here I want you supervising the newer hands. You can sit on Luna while you do it.”

“I’m on my way,” Chiara said, obvious pleasure in her voice at being able to combine her favorite activity with her job.

The line disconnected with a “click” and Norris took a moment to smile. She’d had a feeling about Chiara and Luna, that the two would make a pair like none other, and it warmed her heart to see what had been a hunch become reality. Of course, it helped that Luna wasn’t a horse. Edith’s old book of Irish folklore had helped her discover the true heritage of the creature that lived in her barn. Luna was a phooka, a creature from the realms of Faerie.

Phooka were shapeshifters, but they preferred the shape of equines. They usually appeared in rural or waterfront villages bringing either good or bad fortune depending on how they were treated by the inhabitants. Looking at how Chiara had blossomed and been accepted as Luna’s rider, it was obvious that Luna had decided that Chiara and Norris had treated her well. Norris might worry a bit about whether Luna was going to take Chiara with her back to Faerie, but it was certain by now that Luna intended no harm to the girl.

Norris shook her head at her woolgathering. She had jobs to do and little time to do them in. Flights of fancy and phooka could be handled another time. For now, she had a farm to make ready for some of the worst that Mother Nature could dish out. Maybe having a creature of the supernatural on hand might help. Only time would tell.


The sky seemed to grow darker even after the sun had set and night had come over the farm. Scudding clouds flew past in a skyscape weirdly backlit by the full moon. The wind continued to freshen, and even the most weather blind of individuals could feel the growing power as two massive weather systems approached each other.

“I think that’s everything, Mrs. Norris,” Chiara said, leaning tiredly over Luna’s saddle. Even the indomitable mare looked tired and frazzled, dirt spattering her legs up half their length. Luna and Chiara were not a cow punching team by any definition of the word, but their dressage routine had many moves in it that were based on herding cattle and their training had served them well. As a pair they had moved the rest of the dairy herd into the milking barn where they would be sheltered until the storm abated.

Jorge and the others, under Chiara’s direction, had taken care of the million and one tasks needed to make sure that 150 cattle would be able to stay safe, watered, fed, and milked for the next day. Generators had been checked and fueled, hay bunkers filled, water supplies set aside and equipment checked.

“I think we’ve done everything we can,” Norris agreed. “Get Luna settled, then go get some rest.”

“I can take care of your horse, Curandera,” Jorge said, approaching and looking no less tired than either woman.

“She’s my horse, my responsibility,” Chiara said, but exhaustion made the words much less forceful than she intended.

“You have spent all evening delegating,” Jorge said, smiling to show he meant no disrespect. “Do so once more. It would be an honor to care for your horse, the mare who outran Death itself.”

“Fine,” Chiara snorted, before gingerly dismounting and leaning her head in communion against that of her Goddess. “I’m sorry Luna, I’m just so tired.” Chiara wasn’t sure, as the warmth of Luna’s cheek touched her, but she thought she could hear an amused, “Go.”

Chiara staggered off toward her little cottage, some distance away. Alonso and Carmen, who had both elected to stay on even after Chiara’s ankle had healed, pulled up beside her a moment later on an ATV. Norris had caught their attention and motioned them towards the vehicle, while Chiara had been busy arguing with Jorge. As Norris watched in approval, Carmen got off the back of the machine and helped Chiara on. All three of them then made their way back toward Chiara’s home, some distance away.

“Come please, Santa Muerte,” Norris heard Jorge say to Luna. “Your rider would not like it if I put you to bed while you were still dirty.” Luna gave a snort and then briefly nuzzled the top of Jorge’s head as she allowed the small man to lead her off to the barn’s washing station. The farm was as ready as it could be, and Norris decided to get some rest herself. It would be a busy day tomorrow.

Luna let herself enjoy being washed and cleaned by the farmhand. It reminded her of happier days, in Canterlot with her sister, where ponies would vie for the honor of helping to care for their princesses. The farmhand knew how to clean an equine, and his touch was almost as gentle as Chiara’s. In fact…

Luna paused in thought and opened her arcane senses. Over the past few months she had learned to do much with little. Husbanding even the most meager sources of power into something workable. This world’s moon, Chiara’s devotion and worship, the adulation from the families of the little one she had helped save. All of them had provided the scraps of power that enabled Luna to stay sentient and even perform minor workings, like the spell that enabled her to understand her caretaker’s language.

As Jorge worked on Luna, giving her a thorough if quick brushing, Luna was able to sense a trickle of new power flowing into her from the wiry human. Power that had not been there before and had a familiar taste. It was the same as the flow from Chiara, barely a tenth of the strength of the energy her filly gave her, but it was there. Jorge also worshiped Luna. Perhaps if more humans worshiped her, she would have enough power to return home.

As Jorge clipped a lead to Luna’s bridle and led her back to her stall, Luna fantasized briefly about vast crowds of humans, bowing down to her in worship and giving her the powers that Chiara believed Luna to have through their worship. Luna chided herself at the fantasy. It was not her place to become Mistress and Goddess to these people and it would be wrong of her to try.

After checking Luna’s food and water, Jorge left, turning out the lights as he did. Luna was almost as tired as Chiara had been and sleep began to take her almost immediately. Her last thought before sleep wrapped her in its cloak was, The coming storm is very powerful. I wonder when the local pegasi will be called on to disperse it.


** THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED A TORNADO WARNING FOR ALL COUNTIES EAST OF DENVER...UNTIL 1800 MDT. **


ALERT ALERT ALERT

AT 0514, DOPPLER RADAR HAS PICKED UP A SUPERCELL PRODUCING DAMAGING WINDS, SOFTBALL SIZED HAIL, AND LIFE THREATENING FLOODING. ROTATION HAS BEEN SPOTTED IN THIS CELL. THIS IS NOT A DRILL, SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATELY IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR HOUSE AWAY FROM WINDOWS OR OTHER SAFE LOCATION.


Edith Norris would never know for sure what exactly it was that jolted her out of a sound sleep. Perhaps it was the sound of the rising wind, maybe something had clattered in a strange way, but whatever the cause, she bolted upright in her bed a full thirty minutes before her alarm was set to go off. Calming her breathing, Edith took a moment to try to determine what had awoken her.

Other than the sounds of the storm approaching, there seemed to be nothing wrong, but Norris could not shake the feeling that something terrible was about to happen. Good farmers listen to their instincts, and Edith Norris had learned to pay attention to hers a long time ago. Egged on by an impulse she could not identify, Norris slid on the slippered shoes she kept by her bedside and shrugged on a housecoat. Just as the wail of the tornado siren from in town began to make itself heard.

“Oh shit,” Norris breathed, and then scrambled downstairs as fast as she could in the darkness. The wailing of the siren also woke the rest of the farm, including Luna.

What is happening? What is that alarm for? Luna asked herself, waking and then extending her senses. The storm is coming this way, and it is incredibly powerful. Powerful enough to destroy this place and all who live here. Why haven’t the local pegasi dispersed or diverted it yet? Luna ambled over, took a mouthful of hay and was chewing on it when the awful truth dawned on her.

Fool of a Mare! Luna berated herself in mid-chew, letting the rest of the hay fall from her mouth. There are no pegasi here, no weather magic to control or calm the storm. Those here have nothing to protect them from the fury of what approaches. Nothing and nopony, except perhaps myself.

Resolved to her course of action, Luna opened the door to her stall, which had never posed a real impediment to her anyway. Moments later she was out of the horse barn and into the central area of the farm. Various humans were running to and fro in the pre-dawn gloom, having been woken from their rest and trying to understand what was going on. In the middle of the chaos stood Chiara’s dam, doing her best to organize the confusion and shouting orders to those who worked for her. Luna approved, and trotted up to the crowd where Norris immediately spotted her.

“Luna! Dear God in heaven, how did you get out?” Norris asked. “Jorge, get her back in—”

“No,” Luna said, both aloud and into the mind of all those present. “I need all of you to listen to me.” Stunned silence followed.

“By all the saints, you are a phooka,” Norris said, her eyes wide in awe.

“I do not know what that is, dam of my filly,” Luna said, trying to keep the amusement from her voice. “If we have time we will talk later, but for now, I need all of you to listen and follow my commands.”

“Of course, Santa Muerte,” Jorge said, half-kneeling on the ground. “What can we do for you?”

“All of you, gather in the building where the cows are,” Luna said, in a voice of command that Norris recognized. “I will join you there and do my best to protect all of you.”

People looked around in confusion, both at each other, and at the horse who had begun to speak at them. Some began to walk to the barn as Luna had said, others began insisting it was some sort of trick, others just simply stood there unsure what to do. All of that changed, when with the roar of a hundred freight trains, the funnel of a massive tornado touched down less than a mile away, heading straight for the farm.

“Everyone! Go! Go! Go!” Norris shouted over the din. “Into the barn, now!” No one needed any further urging and the galvanized crowd ran into the large building that housed the dairy herd, Norris and Luna hot on their heels. People stopped, looking around the interior of the building, and beginning to cry out in fear as the walls of the structure began to shake.

“Can you do it? Can you save them?” Norris asked, turning to Luna. “Can you protect my people?”

“In that you have given me food, shelter and care, I am also one of your people,” Luna said, taking a moment to reassure the woman, “and I protect my own. Now, let me concentrate. This will not be easy.”

Luna had kept the truth from Norris. What she was about to attempt would be difficult even were she in Equestria and fully possessed of all her power. On this world, with her current meager scraps of ability, protecting everyone present for any length of time would be best described as “impossible.” All she could hope to do was to hold up a defence against the storm long enough for it to pass. Luna doubted that she would survive the effort, but lives depended on her.

Reaching into her core, Luna tapped the small well of stored power there and used it to create a loose dome of protective energy, just over the heads of all those in the building. The walls were shaking violently now and gaps were beginning to appear above as sections of the roof began to be blown away or were sucked into the approaching twister. Luna’s shield flickered in and out of existence as the strain on her resources made itself felt almost immediately.

It isn’t enough, Luna thought in desperation. I don’t have enough strength and the storm is too powerful. Despair began to fill her, even as more pieces of the building began to fly away and people around her cried out in terror.

Then, a thought came to Luna’s desperate mind. Why not tap the power of the storm itself and use its energy to fuel her magic? It was something Luna would never have considered ordinarily, and a working that would have been beyond her skill before she had gone on her strange journey. Months of gleaning every bit of power she could, from every possible source, now showed new possibilities to the lost princess, and she opened herself to the power of the storm, letting it flow into her.

In an instant, Luna was inundated with power. More power than she had ever experienced in her long life poured into her and her barrier against the storm snapped into solid, rigid reality. She was only able to tap the merest fraction of the energy of the F4 tornado, but even that fraction filled her to bursting.

Those gathered around looked on in wonder as the mare in their midst suddenly reared up, forehooves pawing at the air, as midnight blue wings erupted from Luna's back and a horn radiating power spiraled out from her forehead. White light blazed from Luna’s eyes and her crescent moon cutie mark shone with power from her either flank. Wreathed in power and wonder, Luna called forth her defiance to the storm as she held her rearing stance.

“THESE CREATURES ARE UNDER MY AEGIS!” Luna thundered. “YOU SHALL NOT HAVE THEM, DEMON OF AIR AND THUNDER.”

“All who dwell upon this ground are mine, young alicorn,” the storm growled in reply, as it swept over the building, shredding the barn’s walls and trying to breach Luna’s shield. “They are mine, to live and fret and die as I choose. These are my ancient lands that they have chosen to live in. I shall have my due. Give them to me.”

“NOT TODAY, SPIRIT,” Luna roared back. “THIS DAY I DEFY THEE!”

“Why?” the storm asked back, confused even as it swept back and forth, destroying Norris’ house and the horse barn. “You are not of this world. You have no claim of dominion over them.”

“They have given me bread, fire and salt,” Luna called back, her shield not flinching in the slightest as the tornado renewed its attack on her defences. “I was a stranger, and they took me in. Wounded, and they healed me. Friendless, and they gave me companionship.”

“Ah, the ancient compact,” the storm growled back in its voice like a dozen gravel quarries working at once. “I can respect that you honour Odin’s laws. Very well, I shall leave you this victory, but know you well that I shall obtain my due elsewhere.”

The storm flowed on, over and around Luna’s defences, and despite the storm spirit’s claim that it was leaving, Luna kept the shield up as the tornado spun its way up across the hillside that held the northern part of the farm and it’s outbuildings. As the distance between them grew, Luna’s connection with the elemental power she had tapped waned and then faded completely away, leaving the Equestrian princess once more appearing as a common horse, if one with a pair of odd markings on her hindquarters.

“Luna, thank you,” Norris said, walking through the crowd, some of whom were kneeling, to place a reverent hand on Luna’s shoulder. “Anything I can do to re—” Both of them heard the scream in their minds at the same time.

“Chiara!” Norris shouted, as her eyes traced the line of destruction the tornado had left in sick horror. The storm had left the farm proper, winding its way up toward the small cabins at the end of the property where Chiara lived. Norris turned back to see that Luna had gotten down on her knees beside her.

Mount, Norris heard in her head. Mount and ride. Norris needed no further urging, and swung her cast foot over Luna’s back. Luna surged upwards, forcing Norris to grip Luna’s mane tightly in order to maintain her seat.

“I hope I’m not hurting you,” Norris said loudly, as Luna flowed into motion, her hooves beginning to echo a gallop’s drumbeat. “I mean no disrespect to your Folk.”

“None taken, although I am not a fairy,” said the cool voice in Norris’ head. “I am… a traveller. Lost on a journey not of my own making. I owe you and your filly a great debt for your many kindnesses over the past months.”

“My filly?” Norris said, confused. “You mean Chiara? She’s not my daughter. I mean I care for her and—”

“In all the ways that matter, she is yours,” Luna said, amusement touching her words slightly. “Now hush, I must put on speed and we both need to concentrate if we are to reach our filly in time.” Norris wisely closed her mouth and hung on to the horse like a limpet, as Luna accelerated to the speeds she had used on the Halstad farm.

Though it seemed like an eternity, only a few minutes passed before Luna and Norris crested the small ridge that marked the upper area of the dairy farm near Chiara’s home. Luna paused in shock at the scene of devastation before her. Chiara’s cottage had stood at the edge of the small forest where she and Luna had first met. The edge of that forest was much further back now, the trees having been cut down like grass in the path of a giant’s lawnmower.

The boles and branches of fallen trees scattered the landscape, but that wasn’t what held Luna’s gaze in its iron grip. That was reserved for the pile of debris that was all that was left of Chiara’s home. The small cottage had been utterly destroyed, and it wasn’t until Norris applied her heels to Luna’s sides that Luna snapped out of her shock and ran the last few hundred yards to what had been a cozy little home.

Together, mare and woman tore through the debris and wreckage, searching for Chiara and heedless of the damage they were inflicting on their own hands and hooves. At last, Norris pulled up what had been the doorway to a small utility closet, finding Chiara’s body beneath.

“Chiara!” Edith shouted, getting to her knees to check on the young woman. Chiara was breathing, that much Norris could tell, but her body was still covered by bits and pieces of her home. Luna stood by, helpless. Her revealing herself, shielding the others, added to the frantic dash uphill to Chiara’s home, had nearly drained her. She had nothing left for even the most basic levitation spells.

“Chiara!” Edith cried out again, as she began to shift what was left of the closet walls off of Chiara, only to stop as Chiara’s eyes opened with a sudden gasp of pain.

“Oh… that hurts,” Chiara said, conversationally and looking up at Norris. “Hey there. My house fell down.”

“So it would seem,” Norris said, a half-smile curving her lips at the young woman's tone, as she ran a hand across the young woman’s cheek. “Are you hurt?”

“My legs,” Chiara said, her face changing from humorous to a confused, pained look. “They hurt a lot earlier, but then they went numb. At least until you moved stuff around.” Norris and Luna shared a look of worry before turning back and lifting off pieces of boards one at a time with great care. Luna stepped in as close as she dared, moving items with her mouth.

“Oh…” Norris breathed as she pulled off a final bit of drywall. At almost the same time Luna felt a warm liquid flow over her hooves.

“Is it bad?” Chiara asked, craning her head up to look at her now revealed legs, and sucking in a breath as she saw that her left leg had been sliced open from hip to knee by a piece of siding, that was still partly in the wound. “Oh, that’s not good.”

“No, it’s not,” Norris said, firmly pushing the girl back down. “You take it easy. Emergency services has got to be on their way by now. All you need to do is lie still until they get here.”

“You’ve never lied to me, Mrs. Norris,” Chiara said, her pale face even paler now. “Am I going to be okay? Am I going to live?” Norris felt her eyes well up with tears, trying to say something but unable to make her throat work.

“Nay child,” Luna said, as she realized the liquid oozing around her was her worshipper’s blood. “Thy wound is mortal, it grieves me to say.”

“My Goddess!” Chiara exclaimed, and Norris could hear the growing weakness now. “You spoke!”

“Aye, and I should have revealed myself to you sooner,” Luna said, kneeling down and not caring if blood got in her fur or not. “For that, I apologize, my filly. You had done more for me than I can ever repay, and it saddens me that all I can do for you now, is to give my word that I shall see your soul safe to the Summerlands.”

“A goddess, apologizing to me,” Chiara laughed, smiling to Luna, before sobering. “If this is it for me then, I want to die as I lived. I give to you my life’s blood, as a final sacrifice to my Goddess.”

“You need not—” Luna began to protest.

“So mote it be,” Chiara said, in final pronouncement.

As Chiara said the ritual words, Luna felt a power flow into her. The power she had pulled from the storm had been wild, chaotic and unchecked. Using it had been like trying to ride a thunderbolt. The energy that filled her now was deeper, and more resonant.

It was the power of a lifetime that should have been, of decades of loves, losses, joys and pains. It was possibility and certainty, fate and chance, and all the myriad things in between. And Chiara Walsh had just given that power to Luna. Not as something that Luna had taken or stolen, but as a gift, given freely.

This… this is incredible, Luna thought to herself as the power and energy of Chiara’s life flowed into her and filled every cell of her body with vital strength. This is enough power to get me home. I could tear open a portal right here and be at Tia’s side in minutes. I want to, I want to so badly, but there is something better I can do with this gift.

“Thank you, my filly,” Luna said, leaning close to Chiara’s face, “Your gift has opened up a possibility I’d not imagined. I can use what you have given me, to save your life. I can heal you.”

“Then do it!” Norris demanded, before pausing a moment in thought. “Wait, there’s a catch isn’t there? A price. These things usually have a price. Whatever it is, I’ll pay it, just save her.”

“One thing I did need was your permission, dam of my filly,” Luna said, in thanks. “This is your demesne, your lands. The other thing I need is Chiara’s permission.”

“Why… why would you need that?” Chiara said. She was very pale now.

“Because to save you, I must merge your life with my own,” Luna said, by way of explanation. “For a brief time we must become one, so that my natural strength heals your body and restores you to health. But there is a danger. I do not know what long term effects such a merging will have. My magic could mark you, make you different, in ways that might drive you out from among your kind.”

“Chiara will always have a home here,” Norris said, placing her hand on Luna’s shoulder. “I swear it on my life and on the grave of my husband.”

“What say you, my filly?” Luna asked, nudging Chiara who had begun to nod off toward her final rest. “Make your choice quickly, Tempus Fugit.”

“The chance to become one with my Goddess, to be one with the forces of nature?” Chiara asked, rhetorically as she roused one last time. “Even if there was no chance at all for this to heal me, I would say ‘yes’ to that. So, yes, I agree.”

“Very well,” Luna said, beginning to exert her mystical strength to stop Chiara’s slide toward oblivion, even as she faded into unconciousness.

“There’s something else you aren’t saying, isn’t there?” Norris asked, very quietly. “My husband taught me how to read people, and there’s something you didn’t tell Chiara.”

“To do what I must will use up every ounce of power I have,” Luna said, feeling the first tugging of the merging start. “It will drain me utterly, and reduce this body to being that of a simple equine again. There will be nothing left to sustain that which is me.”

“You’re going to sacrifice yourself for Chiara?” Norris asked, eyes widening. “Is that even possible?”

“Yes,” Luna said, bluntly. “This will essentially kill me, but you and the filly gave me months I would not otherwise have had, and I could never leave my worshiper to die when I had the power to save her. I would ask two favors of you after this is done though.” Chiara and Luna’s bodies were both starting to glow now.

“Name them,” Norris said, keeping her hand on Luna’s shoulder in spite of the burning tingle spreading up her arm now.

“Should others of my kind come this way, tell them of me, and that I ended helping a friend,” Luna said, setting the spell matrix into place. “Also, treat this shell kindly once I am gone, if you would.”

“Of course,” Norris said. “We’ll never forget you.”

“Thank you,” Luna said, drawing her focus inward and seeing the core of faded light that was her worshipper, her friend. She drew the light closer to the shining star that was her own power and the two became one. In her mind’s eye Luna could now see the flaws, the breaks in Chiara’s light as if the wounds the girl had suffered were her own.

In the merged state of being the two were in, they may as well have been. Even as Luna watched, the gaps and breaks in the patterns began to fill in and heal. From somewhere in the mindscape came a gasp of astonishment and wonder.

Wow, this is what the universe looks like? Chiara’s voice said clearly. Everything is so bright. It’s so… thank you.

Thank you, Luna thought back, in reply, as the minutes passed and the working completed its task. It is the least I could do for one who has done so much for me. There, it is done. Time for me to be going now.

What? Chiara asked in outraged thought. No! We’ve just come together, just found each other. I can’t lose you already.

Everything has it’s time, and this has been mine. Luna replied, smiling one last time. Separating out and reforming the ball of light that was her friend, Luna began pushing her power into it so that all of the healing changes she had made to Chiara would stay after Luna was gone.

Luna heard Chiara’s protests as she realized what Luna was doing and tried to stop her. Chiara now had the power, but not the skill or knowledge to stop Luna from hollowing herself out, and devoting all her power to the girl. When at last it was done, Luna looked at her work in satisfaction.

Chiara would be healed and safe. That was all that mattered. As the emptied framework that was Luna, began to collapse, she sent a last thought out into the void, “Sorry sister, a life needed saving.”

Thirty minutes later, the first responders began to arrive, and looked on in surprise at two perfectly healthy women holding onto and crying into the fur of an equally healthy, if confused, horse.


In a distant corner of the universe...


Celestia and Twilight were chatting about various methods of finding and extracting Luna from whichever world she was in, when a voice suddenly entered Celestia’s head, "Sorry sister, a life needed saving."

"Luna!" Celestia cried aloud, physically turning her body to the window and staring through it, willing herself to see her sister.

A profound sense of loss filled her as she felt the severing of their bond, a severing that was only meant to occur when death had finally come. In a thousand years of hatred and bliss, Celestia had felt that her sister would always be with her, raising and setting the moon just as she rose and set the sun. "...No.." she whispered, the word sounding frail and sad to her own ears.

"Princess?" Twilight asked in bewilderment, still holding the spell book aloft in her spell while gazing at the rump of the white mare who so earnestly looked out the window. "Is everything alright?"

Celestia gave a low moan, and the tears came.

Author's Note:

"Everything has its time, and everything ends." - Doctor Who.

But not this story... not yet.