• Published 30th Nov 2016
  • 582 Views, 7 Comments

Promise Me - JTHailstorm



When you love someone, you are willing to keep secrets for them. When you promise someone you love, you keep it.

  • ...
3
 7
 582

Sunlight Through a Dirty Window

Over the next few days, Twilight sent out letters and filled out documents regarding her foal. She took excellent care of her new heir, with help from Spike. Every once in awhile, she would wake up screaming for Sunset, only to wake the baby. Sleep had become difficult to keep up with. It all seemed like a dark cloud started taking over her life as she continued on with the charade.

Her friends helped out the best they could. They ceased asking questions about the foal. It didn’t matter to them how the baby came to be; they were just happy it was Twilight’s. She was lucky that they loved her so much.

A week after returning home, she received a letter from Princess Celestia announcing that she would be arriving within the week to bestow her blessings on the newest princess. Twilight was elated by the news, but a part of her was worried that the whole thing would fall apart. She needed a second opinion, and she needed to come clean to someone.

Twilight knew exactly who to turn to. She quickly penned a letter to the ponies whom she trusted more than any other. As she sent it off, she hoped that it would reach them in time.

She sat in her library after putting the foal down for a nap. In front of her sat a large book opened to the first page. For several minutes she stared at the page, but instead of taking in the words, her mind began replaying memories. Tears started flowing down her cheeks.

Starlight Glimmer entered the library and found Twilight sobbing. Twilight didn’t notice her pupil enter the room.

“I promise…” Twilight sobbed.

“Twilight?” Starlight asked.

Twilight paid no mind to Starlight.

“Twilight.”

“I promise…don’t leave me.”

“Twilight!”

“Don’t leave me…”

Starlight then shook Twilight.

“Sunset…no…”

“TWILIGHT, SNAP OUT OF IT!”

Starlight then hit Twilight in the face. The dazed Princess of Friendship snapped back into reality. Twilight rubbed her cheek and looked at Starlight.

“Starlight?”

“Twilight.”

“I’m so sorry.”

“You need a break.”

“There is so much that needs to be done. I have to work on all of the things that have piled up in my absence.”

“You need to get your mind off of what you’ve encountered. It would be good for you.”

“But the baby.”

“Spike and I will watch after her.”

Twilight frowned as she thought about it. A break would be nice, and she needed to get things off of her mind. Maybe I should take a break, Twilight thought to herself. The more she thought about it, the more it seemed right.

“You’re right. I need a break.”

“Rarity and Fluttershy are waiting for you at the spa.”

Of course they are, Twilight thought to herself. She left the room and headed for the spa. Outside of the castle a floating ember danced in front of her before disappearing. There was no logical explanation for the ember, and this troubled Twilight. And yet, instead of feeling the same grief and sorrow that she’s felt ever since returning, she felt a calming peace come over her.

The sun shone overhead. The weather was a little on the warm side, but life in Ponyville continued on. Ponies lived their lives happily and carefree, unaware of the nightmarish things that could take them from the ones they loved at any moment. None of them knew what it was like to lose a loved one in a brutal way and not to receive any sort of justice for them. Twilight couldn’t get the saddening thoughts out of her head.

I need to relax… I need my friends, Twilight thought to herself. She started running to the spa. On her way there. she knocked someone over. but she payed no mind to them. She was solely focused on getting relief.

She burst through the doors of the spa and gave a shock to the patrons waiting their turn to enter. Just as Starlight had said, Rarity and Fluttershy were waiting for her.

“Twilight, darling, what is going on?” Rarity asked.

Twilight didn’t answer, blankly staring off into space.

“Oh my, is everything alright?” Fluttershy asked.

Twilight shook her head. That seemed to bring her back.

“What? Oh yeah. I’m okay,” Twilight answered.

“Are you sure? We can try again another day,” Rarity said.

“No, I’m fine. I need to get my mind off of things,” Twilight replied.

The truth was that she wasn’t fine. She longed to divulge everything, but she knew that she couldn’t. Twilight had never felt so alone.

“Well, if you’re sure, then we should head in.” Rarity said.

They entered the spa and started receiving well-deserved pampering. The atmosphere should have been relaxing, but Twilight couldn’t relax. No matter how much attention the spa ponies gave her, she couldn’t relax.

She left the spa and ran away. Her friends grew concerned so they did their best to keep up with her for a brief moment before she teleported away. Twilight wanted to be alone with her thoughts.

Trees towered over her as she made for a clearing. She knew where she was going. With each step she could feel the memories returning to her. A strong feeling came over her as she entered the clearing.

She sat at the edge as ghostly images of a happier time played before her..


“No one will find us here,” Twilight said, smiling.

“It’s like you planned this from the start,” Sunset said.

“Of course I did. I wanted to make everything perfect for you.”

Twilight blushed as Sunset brushed up against her. It had been a while since she confessed her feelings and discovered they were mutual. Together, the two of them felt they were destined for the blissfulness of true love.

“I’m so glad you came back,” Twilight said.

“Glad to be back,” Sunset returned.

They shared a kiss as they stepped into the middle of the clearing.


Twilight could hear someone behind her but she didn’t turn around. A familiar sweet scent filled the air, and she knew that Rainbow was near.

“Do you know what it’s like to lose someone you love?” Twilight asked.

“I know what it’s like to have an unrequited love,” Rainbow Dash answered.

“I’m okay, Dash. You can leave,” Twilight said.

“You’re not okay and I’m not leaving without you,” Rainbow Dash replied.

Rainbow Dash sat down beside her. Twilight paid no attention to Rainbow, so she simply watched the memory play out. She knew better than to fight with Dash.

“I watched as she died.”

Rainbow sat in silence.

“I traveled all that way to fall short and lose her.”

Twilight then looked at Rainbow Dash. The pegasus stared out at the clearing. She wondered if Rainbow could see her memory.

“No matter how hard I fought, no matter how fast I ran, no matter what I did, I was set to fail.”

“You didn’t fail.”

“Don’t give me that.”

“No, you didn’t fail. I know that you didn’t fail. I can see it.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well you brought the baby back.”

Rainbow winked at Twilight. Twilight was surprised that Dash knew anything about the situation without being told.

“How did you know?”

“When you love someone, you know. It’s this lovey dovey thing that’s hard to understand.”

“So... a lovey dovey thing?”

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

“You sure?”

“Uh let’s talk about your feelings,”

“Do we have to talk?”

“I’m not leaving until you tell me.”

“First you tell me about the lovey dovey thing.”

“No. I came here to talk to you. Not for you to inter… uh... Not for you to question me like a criminal.”

“Rainbow.”

“Yes?”

“You’re a dork.”

“Shut up and get talking about what’s going on in that head of yours.”

“Well, recently I’ve been getting these weird feelings…”

Twilight explained to Rainbow what she had been feeling. She talked about the nightmares and flashbacks. Rainbow listened attentively.

“I know this is off topic, but I’ve been wondering. What is the baby’s name?”

“Sunlight.”

“So, a combination of her name and yours?”

“No, it has a deeper meaning... I’ll explain it some other time.”

Sunlight... like the light that chases the darkness away. She’s my light. Twilight then continued to tell Rainbow what was going on.