• Published 1st Jul 2012
  • 2,224 Views, 16 Comments

Search for a Home - TheRainbowDashShow

  • ...
1
 16
 2,224

Rainbow Dash

The sun rose as it always did. Shaded away from silvery clouds, but it was still there nonetheless. Tiny snowflakes filled the air, riding the wind as they fell quietly to the earth below. The trees after having shed their leaves now stood there bare and lifeless. The once flowing rivers were still, crystallized by the numbing frost. Winter's chill hushed the world around it, silencing all life it contacted.

A small cabin resided in the noiseless forest. The cabin was worn down from the natural elements that it had encountered over its many years. The wooden planks that held it together were weak and molding. The windows were broken and had been replaced by boards. The door hung crooked, the failing hinges squeaked whenever they rotated.

Most who passed the dwindling structure never gave it a second chance. Usually those that did see it assumed it had been abandoned long ago. Occasionally, however, someone did approach it. When the intruder neared the door, feelings of fear would wash over them, and they would soon retreat. So the cabin remained undisturbed.

The wind blew violently, pounding at the rotting wooden walls. A dense snow began to fall, covering the decrepit roof, weighing it down heavily. The building began to creak as the external forces beat down upon it. A sharp crack rang through the air, and the noises ceased. After decades of abuse, the cabin gave in, and collapsed.

A nearby traveler heard the sound, and turned back to investigate. The wanderer located the source of the noise, and examined the wreckage for a few minutes. She detected slight movement beneath the rubble. Approaching it cautiously, she pushed aside the debris.

A golden unicorn lay there protecting something beneath her. Her breathing labored, a stray piece of bark impaled her back. When the debris had been moved, she rotated herself, and her breathing stopped. In the spot the unicorn had given her life to protect, held an unconscious blue baby Pegasus with a rainbow mane.

The drifter held the baby Pegasus as she knocked on the door of a small orphanage. She wasn't able to care for a filly, so in her mind, this was the best option. It was small for an orphanage, but given the location, it was adequate. Gently placing the bundled up Pegasus on the steps, she crossed the street and observed, making sure the pony was found. The door opened, and the squirming ball was taken inside, with that, she took her leave.

Two years had gone by since she was first dropped off at the orphanage. The Pegasus was too young to remember the incident at the cabin, so she knew nothing about the event. Everypony at the orphanage came to call her Rainbow Dash because of her multicolored mane, and her love to run. She was the only pony at the residence that had wings. All the foals here were earth ponies; they often took pleasure in watching their winged friend glide around the room.

Rainbow Dash couldn't fly yet, at least not for more than a few seconds. She practiced hard every day, her best friend Ice Comet kept her company outside as she trained. The two ponies were always together.

One day a couple came to the orphanage, they were unable to have children of their own so they decided to adopt. The two decided on the small filly with the fiery blue mane. She cried as her best friend was being taken away from her, pleading with the caretaker not to let them have Ice Comet. The caretaker said nothing, and finally her companion was gone.

Day after day passed slowly, Rainbow's wings grew stronger as time progressed. After Ice Comet had been stolen from her, she distanced herself from the other foals, training by herself. As she suspected, the ponies she knew disappeared one by one.

She felt abandoned, all the ponies she had originally befriended here at the orphanage were now gone. There were new arrivals, but it wasn't the same, she ignored them, unwilling to be hurt again. The place felt so lonely, she wanted to leave. Anywhere was better than here amongst the memories of lost friends she had once considered family.

The lonely blue Pegasus could no longer stand it. She hugged the caretaker that had sheltered her and fed her for as long as she could remember. That night, she silently crept outside. The front door was locked, and only a key could open it. However, the back door which leads to the yard was not.

A tall wooden fence surrounded the yard; it was designed to contain earth ponies, not a Pegasus. She ran quickly towards the fence, flapping her wings as hard and fast as she could. Her hooves lifted off the ground for a moment, then touched back down. Out of runway, she headed back and tried again, still with no luck.

Hours passed, the sun's light was drifting into view. Her coat glimmered with perspiration. Her breathing was loud and heavy, but she was determined to leave this place she would not give up. After a short rest, she tried again. She dashed towards the fence once more, her wings beating quickly, slamming into her sides. She felt her hooves were going to lift off once more, she continued flapping her wings, and this time she leaped just before the ground slipped away.

The Pegasus was slowly rising further off the ground. The fence was drawing closer and closer, she was about to crash into it. Her instincts took over; she leaned her body one direction, and directed her feathers with her. She turned just in time to avoid colliding with all that stood between her and freedom.

Soon she was high enough to cross over the fence. As she did, tears began to form. She didn't want to be at this place any longer, but it was still painful leaving it behind. The orphanage had been the only thing she had ever known. It was the only place she had ever called home.

The rainbow Pegasus soared through the sky, the hot sun sapping away her energy. She didn't know where she was, but she couldn't fly much longer. Gazing down at the earth, she looked for a shaded place to land, and spotted an apple orchard not far from her.

A sharp pain had been growing in her stomach while she flew. At first she ignored the hunger, but it was becoming unbearable. The shining red fruit called to her, and she couldn't resist. She flew down towards the ground, unsure of how to land. She tried slowing her wings, a little too slow, and she plummeted down, and crashed hard into the ground.

Rainbow Dash tried to stand up, a burning sensation filled her left hind leg as she placed put weight on it. The burning soon throbbed throughout her whole leg, causing her to collapse back onto the ground. Her dark pink eyes began to water; both from the searing agony from her leg, and fear she would be unable to leave this spot.

She flailed her helplessly at the tree, hoping to knock down a loose apple. Her stomach now felt as if it were being torn apart inside her from having gone so long without any food. Her arms grew tired and sore from smashing them into the tree, and she soon gave up this feat as well.

Alone, scared, and injured, she tried to comfort herself; someone must have heard her cries and would help her soon. The blue skies were now a flurry of oranges, pinks, and yellows as the sun crept away, taking the warmth with it. She began to shiver as the air cooled around her. Now, on top of being immobilized by her injured leg, and the dull aching pain in her stomach, she was going to be freezing as the night went on.

"What in the hay are yah doin?" A voice called out from behind her. An orange pony wearing a light brown cowboy hat atop her blonde mane walked from behind the tree that Rainbow was resting on. The Pegasus whimpered, she pointed helplessly at her leg, to afraid to speak.

"Aw, there there sweetie. Lemme get yah inside, don't yah fret none, ah'll take care of yah" the orange mare leaned down and lifted one of the fragile hooves over her back. She lifted herself up, picking up the extra weight. Despite appearing not much older than Rainbow, her legs were powerful and handled the extra weight with ease.

The two ponies walked slowly towards a dimly lit farmhouse. The house appeared quite old, but well managed. A fresh layer of dark green paint covered the wooden boards. The smell of baked apples and dough filled the air, making the night feel warmer.

The orange pony opened the door. A low creaking noise escaped the hinges as it moved. A small brown sofa rested near the center of the main room. A lantern hung on a rusty nail posted on the wall by the door. She gently placed the injured blue Pegasus on the couch, and left the room.

The stranger returned quickly, holding white cloth bandages in her mouth. "Ah'm sorry, this is gonna hurt a bit, but ah need to set yer leg, ah reckon it's been dislocated." Her words were muffled from the bandages, but her patient understood. The Pegasus nodded, and the mare walked closer, kneeled down and examined the leg.

A few minutes passed, and then the pony placed one hoof on Rainbow Dash's knee, and the other on the back of her shin. She signaled for the Pegasus to brace herself. The two took in a deep breath, and the orange mare thrust the knee downward, and the lower leg upward. A loud popping sound echoed through the house. It was soon drowned out by a deafening scream of agony that escaped the blue pony's mouth.

After the initial surge of pain had dwindled away, Rainbow Dash lay there whimpering quietly. "There, there, everything will be okay." The orange filly whispered soothingly, gently stroking the rainbow mane. "It's gonna be okay sugarcube" The Pegasus relaxed and drifted to sleep as the voice continued to comfort her.

The sound of birds chirping awoke the sleeping lump that lay on the brown sofa. She looked around; many of the events that occurred last night were blurred in her memory. A wooden chair placed only a few feet away from the couch held another pony.

"Oh, yer awake! How are yah feeling this mornin'?" the orange foal said loudly in her thick southern accent.

"Better, thank you"

"FANTASTIC! Now why don't ah make you something ta eat, ah bet yer a mite hungry!" She sprung off the chair, and skipped happily to a different room.

"Um." Rainbow Dash spoke softly, "Thank you, ya know, for… helping me out, and everything." Being helped had always made her feel uneasy, as if she would later have to repay the favor, and wouldn't be able to.

The orange pony popped her head around the corner "Well yer most welcome! By the way, ah never did get the chance to ask yah yer name last night"

"I'm Rainbow Dash" her cheeks flushed red, she had been here the whole night, and didn't even know the name of the pony who helped her.

The orange mare smiled broadly, her forest green eyes sparkled brightly. She tipped her brown cowboy hat down as if to greet the Pegasus for the first time."Well nice to meet yah Rainbow Dash, Mah names Applejack!"

"Let's see how yer legs doin'" Applejack prodded Rainbow Dash's side, "Go on now!"

The bandage on the Pegasus's leg was tight, she could feel the blood struggling to pulse through the veins. Gently she lifted her leg, and placed a hoof down on the floor, bracing herself in case of any pain, but there was none. Feeling more confident she put a little more pressure on it, and the burning sensation returned.

Rainbow Dash flinched and pulled her leg away from the floor. Applejack frowned at the immobilized pony. "Aw, that's okay, ah'm sure you'll be up and running around in no time!" She ruffled the rainbow mane, chuckling as she did.

"So, ah was wonderin', why were yah outside all by yerself. Aren't yer parents worried?" Applejack's asked delicately, trying not to offend her injured guest.

"I seriously doubt they are worried about me." Rainbow Dash laughed a little, trying to act as if it didn't bother her. She tried not to give much thought about where her parents were, she felt they had abandoned her. That no one wanted her.

"An' why wouldn't they be worried? If mah parents couldn't find me, well ah reckon they'd tear down the entire farm lookin' fer me."

"Well, I don't think they are concerned about me because I never met them." Rainbow Dash paused, pushing any emotions back that may have attempted to surface. "Really, it's no big deal."

Applejack was frowning again, "Ah'm sorry, ah can't imagine what'd it'd be like if ah never knew mah parents."

"What about your parents? How come they aren't here right now?" Rainbow Dash said, trying to move the topic off of her.

"Oh, mah parents went to Manehatten. Momma is havin' another foal soon!" Applejack's voice lifted up as she went on. "Ah can't wait, it's gonna be great havin' a new baby brother or sister! Pops said they'd be back in about a week, an' they left yesterday."

Rainbow Dash smiled as the orange pony talked for what felt like hours about everything she would do with the foal. The Pegasus tried to pay attention, but a question started to eat away at her. "What happened to my parents? Did they not want me?" she asked herself.

"Rainbow Dash!" Applejack was practically shouting. "Yer head fly up the clouds fer a minute there RD?"

"Huh, oh sorry, I'm just a little tired still, and my legs still a little sore. I'm just gonna take a nap if you don't mind." Rainbow Dash put on a smile, and let out a fake yawn to verify her story.

"Well okay then, Ah got to go do some work out in the field anyhow. Ah'll check up on yah later" The orange mare skipped away gleefully.

The Pegasus returned back to her thoughts. The same questions rushing through her mind. The thoughts made her feel as lonely as the first night after Ice Comet had been taken away from her. She had watched dozens of ponies come and go, but no pony had paid attention to her. It made her feel even more unwanted when she watched every pony she knew going to a family of their own.

"Does no pony want me?" the Pegasus whispered to herself. Her mind soon wandered back to the questions of what happened to her real family. She knew nothing about her family, and when she had asked the caretaker at the orphanage a year ago, all she received was a frown, and a shrug.

The questions bothered her more than it used to on the occasions she thought about it at the orphanage. Her friend's eyes had livened and lit up with joy when she had talked about her family, and it had made her envious. She wished she could have that. The feeling that someone would always be there, they would always take care of her, and would always love her.

"Well, ah'm done with all the chores for the day, whatcha wanna do? Applejack shouted from across the house.

"I dunno, you decide" Rainbow said disinterestedly. The orange pony entered the living room, in deep thought of what to do. As an idea ran through her head, a smile spread across her face.

"Ya wanna see mah room RD?" Applejack asked. Rainbow Dash didn't really like the nickname too much, "Sure, why not, AJ." She answered, the hint that she disliked being called RD was to subtle, and the orange earth pony didn't catch on.

Applejack stood up and began to walk towards the stairs. The Pegasus cleared her throat, and pointed to her leg with a frown. "Oh, right" she chuckled and came back to the couch, and leaned down. Rainbow Dash threw a hoof over her friend, and the two trudged to the stairs.

The orange pony set her friend down on her bed, then raced to the other side of the room. She rummaged through a small box in the corner and pulled something out. Rainbow Dash had never seen anything like it. "Uh, what is it?"

Applejack was shocked. "It's a camera, ain't yah ever seen a camera before? It lets yah take pictures."

The Pegasus looked a little embarrassed, "I know WHAT a camera is, I've just never seen one before. I'm not stupid you know."

"Alright, alright, no need to get testy!" Applejack pushed a few buttons on the camera with her hooves. She set it down on the dresser pointing it at Rainbow Dash, then quickly joined her friend on the bed.

Applejack threw a hoof around her friends shoulder, and let out a big smile. "SAY CHEESE!" she shouted. Rainbow Dash let out a smile. A bright flash shot through the room, and there was a loud popping sound. "Great! The picture'll be ready soon" she stated. A noise caught the attention of the orange pony. It was the sound of the front door opening.

A large red stallion walked through the front door of the house, his eyes filled with sorrow. He walked slowly into the living room, and fell to the soft brown couch. He let out a tired sigh, and called out. "Applejack, come downstairs, we need to talk!" his powerful voice boomed across the house.

Applejack ran down the stairs excitedly leaving her friend behind in her bedroom. She hadn't expected her family to return for a few more days. "How come y'all are home so early?" she called out before she reached the base of the stairs. She stopped in her tracks with a confused look on her face when she saw only her brother in the room.

Rainbow Dash got up off the bed and cautiously walked across the room, making sure she didn't put to much strain on her bad hoof. She wanted to know what was going on, and curiosity had gotten the best of her, but she didn't want to impose. She placed her head against the wall, trying to listen in, but it was no good. She gave up and sat down in the corner of the room.

Applejack trotted closer to her brother, "Hey Mac, um, where's mom and pop, and Granny Smith. Hey, where is the new foal?" her voice grew in excitement as she remembered she had been promised a new baby brother or sister when they returned.

"Applejack, sit down" his voice was soft but commanding. The filly did as she was told and joined her brother on the sofa. "Applejack, Granny is still in Manehatten with the newborn filly." Applejack's face lit up, she had a new sister. "Pops, well, he isn't coming home AJ."

"What, well why the hay not?"

Big Macintosh rested a hoof on his little sister, and let out another sigh. "Mom… mom isn't coming home either."

Applejack was even more confused, and her brother was starting to scare her. "Ah don't understand big brother, why aren't they comin' home?"

"There was a complication… and mom" his voice choked, and he pushed back the tears that swelled in his eyes, trying to be strong for his little sister. "Mom has passed away, so she isn't coming home"

The orange pony's emerald eyes watered heavily, rolling out in small droplets, trickling down her cheeks. Everything seemed to slow down as everything processed through her. Her heart began to ache heavily, a dull pain that pulsed with each beat. She didn't understand, couldn't understand. "No…" her voice sounded almost broken, "you're wrong, it can't be… momma is coming back, she has too"

Applejack shook the hoof off her angrily. She rose quickly and fled from her brother. She rushed up the stairs, running into her room, slamming the door behind her. Not noticing the Pegasus that stood quietly in the corner. She curled up onto her bed, the tears coming down in heavy streams.

Rainbow Dash limped over to her silently, "AJ, what's wrong?" The sobbing pony looked at her "Nothing, just go away" she snapped, and then she retreated her head back into her hooves. The Pegasus ignored her command, and curled up on the bed with her friend. She wrapped her wing around the pony, and spoke softly, "I'll be here as long as you need me, I won't go anywhere."

Applejack wrapped her hooves around the concerned Pegasus. She squeezed her tightly, her tears splashing on the enveloped friend. Rainbow Dash said nothing; she just sat there, holding her friends shaking body. The emotions that surged through the earth pony made her breathing erratic, and her body trembled. After an hour passed, she had no tears left to shed. Her exhausted body relaxed, and she closed her eyes, drifting to sleep. The Pegasus stayed perfectly still, eventually joining her slumbering friend.

Applejack woke up early the next morning. The sight of the orchards, the barn, her room, they all made her feel sick. She strapped on her green saddlebag, and placed a few of her belongings inside. Looking around to see if there was anything else she might need, she spotted Rainbow Dash still asleep on the bed. The sight of her friend made her smile, but it was quickly erased. She pulled out a piece of paper and a pen, and began to write.

The orange pony finished writing and put her utensils away, then headed over to her camera. She carefully removed it from the self developer built into it, and found that it was finished. Taking the picture out and the note in hoof, she pinned them on her bedroom door. She left her room leaving the sleeping Pegasus, proceeded down the stairs, and out the front door.

The sun was warm, and there were no clouds in sight. Waking birds were chirping away happily to each other. The air was sweet and fresh, the morning dew still clinging to the translucent green leaves. Applejack approached the gate, and turned around to look at the farm once more. Waving, she silently said her farewells, and travelled down the dirt road leading her away from this place.

Rainbow Dash still sleeping, rearranged herself, and gently bonked her bad leg against the bed post. The sensation wasn't too severe, but it was still enough to wake her up. The Pegasus looked around, Applejack was nowhere in sight. Cautiously she lowered herself off the bed, and grazed her leg against an unknown object.

Applejack's brown cowboy hat rested on the floor. Rainbow Dash was confused, she knew it was AJ's favorite possession and she never went anywhere without it. "AJ, you there?" the Pegasus called out loudly, receiving no answer. Another quick gander through the room, and she spotted something hanging from the door.

Rainbow Dash removed the pin that held up the papers. The smaller of the two was the paper they had taken last night. She studied it for a moment, and then set it aside. The larger paper was a letter that Applejack had written earlier.

Dear Rainbow Dash,

I'm sorry to leave without saying a word, but I didn't think I could handle saying goodbye face to face. I can't stay here at the farm a minute longer so I'm leaving. I've decided to go and stay with some relatives away from the farm. Please assure my big brother Big Macintosh that I'm alright, and he has nothing to worry about. With how late you sleep in, he'll probably already be awake, harvesting the apples. I'm positive he will let you stay until your leg has fully healed, if you do some work on the farm I'm sure he'll even pay you a few bits to help you with whatever plans you may have. I wish the best of luck to you Rainbow Dash, and I hope maybe one day I'll see you again.

Your friend, Applejack

P.S. I hope you will always keep the picture to remember me by.

The feelings of abandonment and betrayal returned; the same emotions she had experienced when Ice Comet had been taken away from the orphanage. At first Rainbow Dash wanted to cry, but her anger stopped her. "Never again" she thought.

Rainbow Dash stormed outside the house, ignoring the stabbing pain that shot through her leg with every step. Her heart had taken this abuse for the last time. She had no reason to stay here now. Angry at herself for letting her guard down when she knew this would happen. Furious at Applejack for leaving her, just like every pony else had.

The Pegasus's mouth changed from a frown, to a vacant expression. Her eyes no longer seemed sad, instead appeared empty. Her heart beat steadied itself to its regular pace. Rainbow Dash pushed all emotion out of her and flapped her wings as powerfully as she could. Her legs lifted off, and she pushed towards the sky away from the orchard, and she didn't look back.

A glimmering sun sparkled down through the crystal blue skies. The breeze was soft and pleasantly warm, as it passed by. Crisp dark green leaves filled the lively trees. The river twinkled as the sunlight reflected on its gently flowing water. Spring's warmth awoke the world around it, everything bursting with life as it swept across.

Rainbow Dash flew above the forest, trying to silence her thoughts. The wreckage of a cabin in the midst of the forest came into view. It seemed to comfort her, and beckon her to come toward it. The sight lured her close, she accepted the calls, and landed slowly, and carefully.

The Pegasus walked around the perimeter, carefully examining her surroundings. In spite of the fallen structure, everything here felt so alive. This place, she didn't know why, but it felt so familiar to her. The more she investigated, the more it confused her.

She came across a shining slab of carved rock near one of the fallen walls. Writing was visible from where she stood, she walked closer. Her breath slowed, sadness seeped into her, and she didn't know why.

The rock she had discovered was a gravestone. Only two words were written on it, "Beloved Starflash" An engraving of a unicorn running was depicted below the words. Rainbow Dash ran a hoof over the picture; a small shiver ran through her as she felt the ridges on the smooth stone.

The Pegasus turned around, and walked in towards the heap of rotting wood. She pushed aside large chunks of wood; she was looking for something, but didn't know what. After having cleared most of the debris away, she spotted a dull blue ribbon crunched beneath two planks.

The ribbon was encompassed with small frills, and in the center, a one was embroidered in yellow letters. On the other side "Starflash, Canterlot Derby" was written on it, at this she smiled. "A racing unicorn, huh?" she said quietly.

Rainbow Dash weaved her way out of the wreckage, when she heard a crinkling sound under her hoof when she stepped. She stopped immediately, and backed up, light reflecting off the corner of a dirt covered object. She dusted it off, and picked it up.

The object was a faded picture of a bright golden unicorn, a tired smile covering her face as she lay in a hospital bed. A blanketed object was cradled in her arms, all that was revealed was a rainbow colored mane, and a pudgy light blue face.

A memory flashed into her magenta eyes; a loud crackling noise, hooves rushing over toward her, and then blackness. She rubbed underneath her mane, feeling a small scar embedded into her skin. She backed out of the wreckage, back towards the gravestone.

Tears splashed onto the smooth-cut marble, but they weren't tears of sadness. The Pegasus was crying joyfully, a smile sprawled across her. Her mother hadn't abandoned her. Her mother had always loved her, and had died for her.

A sense of needing to honor the sacrifice that this pony had made for her overwhelmed her. Rainbow Dash knew exactly how she would satisfy this need. Earlier, at Applejack's farm she had seen a flier for a flight camp, she would enlist. She vowed to be the fastest Pegasus in all of Equestria. She smiled again, she would be a racer, just like Starflash. Just like her mother.